[GAMES] LZDoom (libGL)

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4

[GAMES] LZDoom (libGL)

Post by meveric »

LZDoom is a successor of ZDoom an engine that supports all kinds of IdTech 1 Engine games such as Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Chex Quest, and many fan based games.

It uses modern techniques such as SDL2 and OpenGL to enhance the experience and improve existing aspects of the game.

This game is my first releases that relies on the new OpenGL 2.0 -> OpenGL ES 2.0 engine from @ptitSeb to support shaders.
Without the game would only run in software renderer and be a lot slower and offer a lot less features.

Image Image

Thanks to a very active community many user made games are available here as well.

Just recently Castlevania Simon's Destiny was released

Image Image

But there are many many more games available.

You can install an older version of this engine from my repository for Debian Jessie or Debian Stretch for both armhf and arm64 by using the command:

Code: Select all

apt-get install gzdoom-odroid
And for Debian Buster for by using the command:

apt-get install lzdoom-odroid
The game files need to be placed under ~/.config/lzdoom/ either as *.wad or *.ipk3 (maybe other formats as well).
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Jojo
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, HC1, HC2, VU8C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: [GAMES] GZDoom (libGL)

Post by Jojo »

That sounds awesome! I'll definitely give it a try :) . I've got a bunch of these good ol' ID games around here, so I'll have plently to do ;) !

Thanks for your effort!
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Jojo
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, HC1, HC2, VU8C

Post by Jojo »

Dammit, I am doing it wrong somehow o_O . I've put three *.WAD files into the ~/.config/gzdoom directory: doom2.wad, heretic.wad and darkwar.wad (which is "ROTT", I think). But when I start gzdoom (either via the menu or by console command gzdoom_start), I don't get this dialog box to choose one of these games. Instead Doom 2 starts every time automatically. What am I doing wrong?!

BTW: I've read, that the source code of ROTT has been released many year ago. Do you know of any projects that aim for making it work on ARMs?

Greetings
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4

Post by meveric »

I suggest deleteing the gzdoom.ini file or look if something is in there that chooses doom2 by default.

Yes ROTT is available as standalone game and should work nicely under ARM. Up to now I never bothered compiling it though, although I even think I DID compile it some time ago, just never released it. :D
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

DonaldSilverburgh
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: VU8 Tablet Case

Post by DonaldSilverburgh »

This is so cool. I am so thankful to the group. Two days ago I was thinking to play DOOM and BAM!! Am I lucky or what??
Ok GZDOOM It was a bit irritating at first, kz it was not starting properly like it was not loading the application. But that was due to my Windows issue(proabably .dll issues) But then, it works like a charm :ugeek: :ugeek:

XD3l
ODROIDs: XU4

Post by XD3l »

@meveric Thank you very very very much!!!!

EDIT: I just noticed this runs very slowly at random.

@ Jojo I just put my iWAD files in: /usr/share/games/doom/

NIGHTKILLER05
languages_spoken: english spanish

Post by NIGHTKILLER05 »

Hi, first of all ,thank you, can you tell me please if this port can be installed in Ubuntu Xenial? I have it installed in a XU4, and after I add your repository to my system and update it can't find the file, throws me this error "E: Unable to locate package gzdoom-odroid", can you please help me? I love Doom

meveric

Post by meveric »

NIGHTKILLER05 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:34 pm
... and after I add your repository to my system ...
Which "my repository" did you add? I have several repositories, for different OS versions and boards. Therefore "my repository" is a wide stretch :)

But to answer your question: no it won't run on Ubuntu as it requires libjpeg62-turbo which is not available on Ubuntu Xenial.

NIGHTKILLER05
languages_spoken: english spanish

Post by NIGHTKILLER05 »

Well, thank you anyway man, you are doing a great job here.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

Hey there!
Any chance you can repackage it for debian buster as well? Looking forward to brutal doom on the Go Advance... :D

meveric

Post by meveric »

GZDoom got more complicated.. I was already working on it and have some binary mix that works, but it's a little bit more complicated now.
There are now 3 projects:
GZDoom -> High End Port of Doom Engine which requires OpenGL 3.3 (recommended OpenGL 4.5 or Vulkan)
LZDoom -> Meant for "older" less capable hardware with some features disabled (OpenGL 1.x/2.x)
ZDoom -> Legacy version no longer in development

So what we need now is LZDoom instead of GZDoom but the code is a little messy. It refers intern still as GZDoom here and there and I need to fix paths for this port.
Ideally there should be an update path from GZDoom to LZDoom means, a meta package called GZDoom that requires LZDoom and converts Data and Config folders (and options) from GZDoom to LZDoom.
So that if you update from Jessie to Stretch or Buster the packages still get updated correctly (and yes even Jessie needs new packages).

Kinda complicated, else I would have ported it already.
I will try to create a package for LZDoom and will think about an upgrade path from one to the other later on :)
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
joy (Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:45 pm)

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Looking forward for lzdoom then!
I don't think you need to go through the trouble of thinking of package migration between versions. Keeping it simple is the best policy.

meveric

Re: [GAMES] LZDoom (libGL)

Post by meveric »

Update:
Added lzdoom-odroid for Debian Buster (arm64).
mad_ady (Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:39 pm)

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Ok, I'm giving lzdoom a try (on X11, right?)

adrianp@buster64-go2:~$ DISPLAY=:0 lzdoom --help
LZDoom 3.84-300-g116a935b7 - 2020-02-06 12:18:46 -0600 - SDL version
Compiled on Feb 13 2020

LZDoom version 3.84-300-g116a935b7
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding /usr/local/share/games/doom/lzdoom.pk3, 702 lumps
 adding /usr/local/share/games/doom/game_support.pk3, 291 lumps
 adding /home/adrianp/.config/lzdoom/Doom.wad, 2306 lumps
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
V_Init: allocate screen.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
I_InitSound: Initializing OpenAL
  Opened device Built-in Audio Stereo
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
Checking cmd-line parameters...
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
script parsing took 1408.20 ms
R_Init: Init Doom refresh subsystem.
DecalLibrary: Load decals.
M_Init: Init menus.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading custom status bar definition.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
Using video driver x11
OpenGL load failed. No OpenGL acceleration will be used.

*** Fatal Error ***
!!! Failed to exec debug process
Segmentation fault
I do have libgl-odroid installed:

adrianp@buster64-go2:~$ dpkg-query -L libgl-odroid
/.
/usr
/usr/local
/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/lib/libGL.a
/usr/local/lib/libGL.so.99
/usr/local/lib/libGL.so
/usr/local/lib/libGL.so.1
I tried with LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/ DISPLAY=:0 lzdoom and it started fine... Time to configure it :)
Thanks again!

meveric

Post by meveric »

there is a lzdoom_start which is normally called.. that is taking care of this :P
You could simply start the icon from the start menu if you want ;)
But yes your command line works as well.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Oh, sorry about that.
I still get this warning when running:

OpenGL acceleration requires at least OpenGL 3.0. No Acceleration will be used.
Is this normal?

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Ok, got brutal doom v20 working and it's looking great actually. However I can't play it... I'm fighting with decades of muscle memory with using a keyboard/mouse. I just fumble around with the buttons and keep staring at the ceiling while the enemy is shooting my ass... Is there a way to learn how to use a console and migrate from a keyboard? Or is it something I'm too old to learn now? :D
Disregard my previous OpenGL message. I fumbled around in the config and got it working by pushing random things :roll:

meveric

Post by meveric »

Yeah.. The OpenGL 3.0 warning I get as well.. but I guess it's suggested version.. it says it requires 2.0 and that is what we have.
I also suggest activating performance mode.
Castlevania Simon's Destiny was kinda laggy without.

But just so you know I also have trouble using game controller for this game.
mad_ady (Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:47 pm)

Return to “Games and Emulators”