Cross compiling libretro reicast for C1/C0

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Cross compiling libretro reicast for C1/C0

Unread postby jit » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:33 pm

I'm using buildroot for odroid c1 on my x86 laptop.
I encounter some difficulties to build libretro-reicast : https://github.com/libretro/reicast-emulator

This make file seems more to be made to run on native hardware... with some tentatives to be cross-compiler compatible.
In order to compile with flags that seems good for the C1, I had to use the following :

make platform="odroid ODROIDC" ARCH=armv7l HOST_CPU_FLAGS="-DHOST_CPU=0x20000002"

I also had to modifiy 2 things :
- the make file so the detection of the odroidc1 is not done by checking the presence of ODROIDC in the $plateform variable
- add DynaRBI and __clear_cache definition in file core/rec-ARM/rec_arm.cpp

Unfortunately, the compile process stop at one moment with the following error :
as: unrecognized option mfloat-abi=hard

But when I check the arm-eabi toolchain (V4.9), the as has the option and GCC doc say that value can be soft, softfp or hard.

Does anybody have a clue on that ? ;)
jit

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: odroid-w, 1x C0, 1x C1, 2x C1+, 1x C2, 1x XU4

Re: Cross compiling libretro reicast for C1/C0

Unread postby jit » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Ok, let's continue de monolog, I'm able to answer to myself ;)
The problem was simple : AS vairable was not set in the buildroot makefile, so it was trying to compile ARM assembly with x86 AS (the one on the host machine).

I finaly managed to compile it within buildroot... but it seems to crash (freeze retroarch). It may be because of a bad location for the bios file... I will try alternative location in the next couple of days.
jit

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Something like this I would always compile directly on the ODROID itself, even if it might be a little slow, but you get rid of most of the compiler flags and can be sure it's compiling for the correct architecture.
Directly on the odroid you only have to build it with:
Code: Select all
platfom=odroid make

you can use -j option to compile on multiple cores, but aside from that there's nothing that should be needed.
Later you might want to experiment with the NO_THREADS and HAVE_GENERIC_JIT flag to see if that can improve performance.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby jit » Tue May 02, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm sure you're right, but for an unknown reason, I can't manage to get network working on my C0 (neither with usb ethernet nor wifi dongle).
So I'm trying to make my whole system through buildroot, which seems finally a not so bad idea : I learn buildroot at the same time ;)

What is a little bit anoying is that the support for buildroot on odroid seems limited : it works well with the strick minimum, but as soon as you add package (eg: xf86 with mali), problems start to occurs (missing dependencies, bad includes, missing patch for buildroot, etc.)

My needs are pretty simple as I'm building a very ligh linux base for a portable gaming console. I'm known trying to mix buildroot with some package from your repository and/or archlinuxarm for things that do not compile or for which sources are not available (eg: mali_drv.so, rvgl).

As soon as I will finish
jit

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 02, 2017 10:29 pm

maybe a nice and fun project, but I would rather use a lightweight server image of an already existing OS.
Which is normally very small but offers you to install and update packages as needed.
Doubt you gonna save much "resources" by limiting yourself to a "build all on my own" environment.
Especially considering all the issues you run into apparently.

What's the benefit of your buildroot?
Just coping file form other distros won't help you. The mali_drv.so for example is specifically build against the xorg-server version of the system.
If you have another xorg-server version, that driver won't help you at all (one more reason why it's important to have defined versions of packages).
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby jit » Wed May 03, 2017 6:34 pm

I concluded exactly the same after my first experimentations (but I wanted to try) ;)
I'm just blocked with my non working network problem with the C0... but I will try to use a C1 to make the whole system.

In fact, what I need maybe simple to achieve :
- very fast boot (so certainly custom kernel and some uBoot refinement)
- readonly file system except a small part for game save so I could switch off by simply cutting the current
- use my own software for controller (I already have it using uinput)

I may try to start from the official ubuntu and clean things up. Archlinux is more light (and I prefer it) but I there are some missing games you built that are missing (eg: rvgl) ;)

The only thing I can miss is the libretro-recast and libretro-glupen64... did you manage to build them ?
jit

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 03, 2017 9:32 pm

jit wrote:In fact, what I need maybe simple to achieve :
- very fast boot (so certainly custom kernel and some uBoot refinement)

Probably a good idea. I think with some refinement the boot time can be 10 seconds or slightly below.
jit wrote:- readonly file system except a small part for game save so I could switch off by simply cutting the current

Not a fan of this. No if something goes wrong you don't have logs about what happened, but I guess this really depends on your needs.
I often have to cut the power on my ODROIDs since something crashes or something else. I even game my nephews an ODROID as a game console and I told them just to unplug and replug the power.
Never had any issues.
jit wrote:I may try to start from the official ubuntu and clean things up.

I wouldn't use it. There's probably tons of stuff installed you don't need. The offical Ubuntu is a Desktop image and not a server image.
The Ubuntu minimal image probably could work, but I don't think it exists for C1. I'd rather suggest you create your own bootstrap rootfs of Ubuntu if you want to use Ubuntu.
Or use Debian, which should also be more lightweight.

jit wrote:The only thing I can miss is the libretro-recast and libretro-glupen64... did you manage to build them ?

libretro-reicast -> No, I would also suggest using reicast standalone emulator, it's probably faster and more stable.
libretro-glupen64 -> I got it compiled, but was not very impressed with the performance... there's a new core, called libretro-parallel_n64 which could be even better in the future.
meveric

Unread postby jit » Thu May 04, 2017 12:50 am

I'm pretty confident with the boot time : I already managed to get near 20 secs with an odroid-W (raspberry pi) from power-on to a working emulation station using archlinux (https://www.bluemind.org/hardware-linux ... eboy-case/)

As for the read-only FS, I don't care about logs nor updates. It's for a portable system for which I will very rarely change things ;)

I was thinking to use your minimal debian image, it is just not clear for me if :
- doing a upgrade / dist-upgrade will bring my C1/C0 to the up-to-date kernel and mali driver ?
- all softwares from your "gamestation turbo" image come also from your debian repository (so I could pick the ones I want) ?
jit

Unread postby meveric » Thu May 04, 2017 6:04 am

jit wrote:I was thinking to use your minimal debian image, it is just not clear for me if :
- doing a upgrade / dist-upgrade will bring my C1/C0 to the up-to-date kernel and mali driver ?

Kernel yes. Mali is not installed by default, since it's a server image and servers don't need GPU drivers ;)
But once you installed them, they will get updated as well, yes.
jit wrote:- all softwares from your "gamestation turbo" image come also from your debian repository (so I could pick the ones I want) ?

Exactly. apt-cache search libretro might be interesting for you ;)
I'll probably add new cores in time.. like glupen64 and others as well.
meveric

Unread postby jit » Thu May 04, 2017 4:31 pm

started to install. The kernel takes less time than with buildroot to boot (6s vs 13s). With EvilWM, and no "optimizations", all seems quite fast to start ;)

However, I tried Mario Kart 64 with the standalone mupen64plus and it was slower (choppy framerate) than libretro-glupen64 on my buildroot with fbdev (no X, very smooth). I tested both with default configuration. Maybe there is some fine tuning to do with mupen64 ?

I will try to compile and tests glupen64 and libretro-reicast to compare
jit

Unread postby meveric » Thu May 04, 2017 8:33 pm

I gave it a quick try and apparently I was able to compile a working version of glupen64, so if you want I can upload it somewhere for testing.
I haven't really tested it yet and it's not yet optimized for C1, so there might be room for improvement.
Let me know if you want to have it :)
meveric

Unread postby jit » Fri May 05, 2017 7:33 am

I had already compiled it and tested before I saw your post ;)
I also compiled and tested parallel-n64.

In terms of speed, there is no comparison : Glupen64-libretro is by far the fastest... but not full speed all the time (tested with Mario Kart) Parallel is the most accurate, but nothing is really playable (despite faster that muppen64plus.

But What do you mean by "optimized for C1" ? It seems that the default glupen64 make file take care of the C1 and use appropriate CFLAGS... do you have any other way to optimize ? If yes, it may be possible to reach full speed ;)
jit

Unread postby meveric » Fri May 05, 2017 8:02 pm

I've compiled it for cortex-a9 optimization which works on all ODROIDs, X,X2,U2/U3,XU3/XU4,C1.
But as you said there is a way to optimize it specificly for C1. Also I can use GCC 7.1 to compile it with newer compiler and better optimization for ARM boards.. I already have a C1 optimized version now, but I haven't tested it yet.
I can upload it though if you want to have it.
meveric

Unread postby jit » Sat May 06, 2017 12:17 am

Yeah of course, It could be cool to tests it , so I could compare with my version which has "standard" optimization.

However, I'm not an expert at all, but the s805 soc is a CortexA5, not a9... regarding gcc explanation on the mtune option, I would say say using cortext-a9 instead of cortexta5 for the C1 could lead to degraded performance, wouldn't it ? ;)
jit

Unread postby meveric » Sat May 06, 2017 4:42 am

jit wrote:Yeah of course, It could be cool to tests it , so I could compare with my version which has "standard" optimization.

You can download it here: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/C1/cores/
Not sure if it's better or worse, compiler flags can be tricky.
jit wrote:However, I'm not an expert at all, but the s805 soc is a CortexA5, not a9... regarding gcc explanation on the mtune option, I would say say using cortext-a9 instead of cortexta5 for the C1 could lead to degraded performance, wouldn't it ? ;)

Generally yes that "could" be. Cortex-A9 is a rather good all round option and has surprisingly good results on most ODROIDs. All cores that are not specifically compiled for one ODROID (means where default parameter work good enough to be full speed, or sometimes are really faster than cortex-a5) I use cortex-a9 as an option. For some special cases where performance is really important using cortex-a5 can improve the performance a little, but the C1 is not a good board anyway and the CPU speed is pretty low as is. Often you won't notice much difference. The Cortex-A5 is a core optimized for low energy usage, so optimization can only give you so much better result for a SoC that's not designed for performance anyway.
It can be a lot different with a board like the XU3/XU4 optimization can have a big impact here.
meveric

Unread postby jit » Sat May 06, 2017 7:05 am

thank you, it works well ! It is slighly faster than my own build (-mtune=cortexa5 -O3 -mfpu=neon-vfp4).
With some other config adjustments and 1.8 Ghz overclock, n64 emulation is quite good (depending one games)

Other thing related to native game : I find that some do not work. eg, etr-odroid. Do you want me to give you a list of non working one ?
jit

Unread postby meveric » Sat May 06, 2017 7:18 am

you can give me the list, but also what you mean by "do not work" a short description can be useful.
But it's most likely due to the many issues with the C1. Alpha Issue for example which prevents certain programs to work with 32bpp and others to work at all.
That's a limitation of the C1 and not the games/programs.. but as I said, make a list and I look into it.
meveric

Unread postby jit » Mon May 08, 2017 4:07 pm

So far what I can say about non working games on the C1 :
- f1spirit (don't start, but don't remember the problem)
- openjazz : do not start, because of missing / not found files (SOUNDS.000, PANEL.000, openjazz.cfg)
- sdl-pop : black window (in 16 or 32 bpp)
- smokinguns : Error unable to create EGLNative surface
- jk3 : runs well, but the resolution seems enforced, which produce a kind of big overscan on my small 640x480 screen. I tried to change the resolution in the config file, but nothing changed :(
- Frogatto : same things as jk3, but the "enforced resolution" seems smaller so it's more easily playable (seems to display 800x600 on my 640x480 screen)
- Etr : start, seems to works well, but same problem as jk3 and Frogatto : the 640x480 resolution is not respected :(
jit

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 08, 2017 6:03 pm

Just to make sure we are on the same level: you're testing under X11, right? Since most of them won't work under fbdev anyway.
I'll check the games if I have some time, on the C1 and check for the results.

jit wrote:So far what I can say about non working games on the C1 :

Hmm I patched that game to use X11 to determine the screen size and start the game in Desktop Resolution.
Both X11 and eglport (to determine the eglsettings for the system) could cause an issue on the C1. I'll have to check this.
jit wrote:- openjazz : do not start, because of missing / not found files (SOUNDS.000, PANEL.000, openjazz.cfg)

Sound like you're missing the game files from the DOS version of Jazz Jackrabbit. You need to copy them to $HOME/.openjazz/
jit wrote:- sdl-pop : black window (in 16 or 32 bpp)

I'll check on that, but that is probably due to the Alpha issue on the C1 and if that's the case, then there's nothing I can do :(
jit wrote:- smokinguns : Error unable to create EGLNative surface

I'll check, but this one should work. Maybe you need to edit the config file to select a working resolution up front.
jit wrote:- jk3 : runs well, but the resolution seems enforced, which produce a kind of big overscan on my small 640x480 screen.

AAAH 640x480 yeah that could be a problem with quite some games, not every game runs as low as 640x480.
Still try editing the config file manually and force a custom resolution. I think this one should work.
jit wrote:I tried to change the resolution in the config file, but nothing changed :(

I'll try; technically it should work, but Q3 engine can sometimes be tricky to force to use custom resolutions.
jit wrote:- Frogatto : same things as jk3, but the "enforced resolution" seems smaller so it's more easily playable (seems to display 800x600 on my 640x480 screen)

Originally I only had 720p and 1080p version of this game, just a little while ago I patched it to use Desktop resolution. Still I'm not sure if the game runs in 640x480 this might be too small for the game to run in.
jit wrote:- Etr : start, seems to works well, but same problem as jk3 and Frogatto : the 640x480 resolution is not respected :(

Not sure about this one.. Since it is a native linux game designed for Linux, I would be surprised if it imposes some minimal resolution and does not scale properly. The game itself has a setting for the resolution I believe.

To be honest, I'm not sure if 640x480 is really 100% supported on ODROIDs, this could be quite an issue.
meveric

Unread postby jit » Mon May 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Yes I'm using X with evilWM

Sorry for JackRabbit, I read the related post to fast an dI did not see that original files was needed.

The thing that seems strange to me is that all of the games that have a problem with the resolution provide a "640x480" option in their screen resolution menu entry. That's why I'm under the impression that the problem could be more related to the C1 / X / Kernel / Mali.

As I'm building a portable gaming console for retro-gaming, I'm using a small 3.5" screen... which is 640x480... and which is ideal for retro-gaming where 4:3 and small resolution where the rule (and old games looks beautiful on such small screen ;) )
jit

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 08, 2017 9:48 pm

Yes I understand. Sadly the C1 is not a very stable board in my opinion. But I'll look and see what I can find out. I have a couple of displays I can try of the ODROID VU series, as well as the TV in 640x480 and see what I can find out.
meveric

Unread postby jit » Mon May 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Well, for now, I just plugged a "normal" LCD display and I just used the VGA resolution in the boot.ini file ;)
jit

Unread postby odroid » Mon May 08, 2017 11:08 pm

640x480 mode was tested and it worked well.
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... esolutions

Did you uncommenct "vga" and comment-out "1080p" line in boot.ini file?
https://github.com/mdrjr/c1_bootini/blo ... oot.ini#L8

Can you give me a link of your small screen?
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 09, 2017 7:15 am

Ok, I did some testing on my OGST image for the C1 on my Samsung TV in 640x480 resolution over HDMI.
Here are some results:

jit wrote:So far what I can say about non working games on the C1 :

That game worked perfectly fine for me. Full speed, no issues.. was actually fun to play.
jit wrote:- openjazz : do not start, because of missing / not found files (SOUNDS.000, PANEL.000, openjazz.cfg)

is working fine as well, I had to rename the data file to lower case for them to work, but aside from that everything was fine.
jit wrote:- sdl-pop : black window (in 16 or 32 bpp)

32bpp works perfectly fine on my OGST image.
jit wrote:- smokinguns : Error unable to create EGLNative surface

This worked right out of the box as well.. although 640x480 looks really terrible and it was slightly laggy, but that could be due to my SD card... probably when it was loading textures or stuff.
jit wrote:- jk3 : runs well, but the resolution seems enforced, which produce a kind of big overscan on my small 640x480 screen. I tried to change the resolution in the config file, but nothing changed :(

I didn't try this, since it's rather big.
jit wrote:- Frogatto : same things as jk3, but the "enforced resolution" seems smaller so it's more easily playable (seems to display 800x600 on my 640x480 screen)

yep this was working as well.
jit wrote:- Etr : start, seems to works well, but same problem as jk3 and Frogatto : the 640x480 resolution is not respected :(

i've noticed i still have a "broken" package here... in /usr/local/share/etr there is a folder data and inside that folder is a folder data -.-
well after I copied the files to the correct place.. the game was working fine.
I also installed extremetuxracer directly from Debian and used gl4es (GLshim) to run the game this was working fine too, but the game starts in 800x600 by default and I needed to change the resolution first.

Well it seems everything is working on my OGST image. I used:
Code: Select all
setenv m "vga"                  # 640x480
setenv vout_mode "hdmi"
setenv m_bpp "32"

inside the boot.ini I couldn't find any issues with the applications you mentioned.
meveric

Unread postby jit » Tue May 09, 2017 4:02 pm

@meveric : many thanks for your help. It seems that you don't have the same problems than me. I will double check my configuration and try to reinstall things

@odroid : actualy, I already uncommented vga and commented out all other resolutions. And for now, I'm not yet using my small screen (which is composite, so cbvs), but a "normal" hdmi screen.

I will keep you informed of what I found out... ;)
jit

Unread postby jit » Wed May 10, 2017 4:08 pm

OK, I re-tests things a bit more ;)

- f1spirit : it works if I force to use GLSHIM
- OpenJazz : with all data files in lower case it's OK
- SDL Pop : I did not retests as the PC Engine CdRom version is nicer
- smokinguns : I did not retest
- jk3 : still the same problem. I tried to force Width and Height in config file, but it seems not respected.
- etr : it works correctly with GLSHIM and the official debian package

Thank you for your help ! ;)
jit

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 10, 2017 4:57 pm

jit wrote:- SDL Pop : I did not retests as the PC Engine CdRom version is nicer

Yeah PC-Engine version is rather nice.. You should take a look at the MegaDrive/Genesis version, it has a very interesting graphics style.
jit wrote:- jk3 : still the same problem. I tried to force Width and Height in config file, but it seems not respected.

well I'm gonna test this when I have a little more time :)
meveric

Return to Issues