Some questions regarding the Odroid XU4!

Cap2587
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Some questions regarding the Odroid XU4!

Post by Cap2587 »

I am interested in purchasing the Odroid XU4. I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could answer.

I take it that the XU4 would be beneficial over the C2 due to the USB 3.0 and faster CPU. Is there anything that does not support the XU4, but does the C2?

Is there an application on the XU4 that would enable HD Audio Passthrough to my Receiver (DTS-MA, Dolby True-HD?

I am interested in purchasing a EMMC SD Card, but should it be for Android or Linux?

Is there a Media jukebox (Kodi) that could organize my movie collection through a web interface.

I am going to use the Odroid XU4 for mostly movie watching . Can it be used to watch 4K content? I am ready to replace my PCH C200 Media player, is the XU4 a good choice. I am new to the forum, therefore appreciate any input from more experienced users.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4

Re: Some questions regarding the Odroid XU4!

Post by meveric »

Cap2587 wrote:I take it that the XU4 would be beneficial over the C2 due to the USB 3.0 and faster CPU. Is there anything that does not support the XU4, but does the C2?
  • H265 hardware decoding
  • 4K resolution
  • HiFi Shield support (check products from HardKernel)
  • 64bit ARM applications
Cap2587 wrote:Is there an application on the XU4 that would enable HD Audio Passthrough to my Receiver (DTS-MA, Dolby True-HD?
Not 100% sure, but Kodi should be able to do so, but I can't confirm this.
Cap2587 wrote:I am interested in purchasing a EMMC SD Card, but should it be for Android or Linux?
Doesn't matter, you can put either Linux or Android on it. It's just what you want on it when you order it. If you want to use mainly Linux buying a Android one makes no sense, but still you can do it and flash an Linux image on it if you want (or vise versa)
Cap2587 wrote:Is there a Media jukebox (Kodi) that could organize my movie collection through a web interface.
Kodi is working fine on ODROIDs if that's what you're asking. Other software might not work due to missing hardware decoder support.
Cap2587 wrote:I am going to use the Odroid XU4 for mostly movie watching . Can it be used to watch 4K content?
No, XU4 specs say it's good for 1080p content not 4k.
Cap2587 wrote:I am ready to replace my PCH C200 Media player, is the XU4 a good choice.
For everything up to 1080p H264 yes.
1080p H265 may work as well but is only software decoded (CPU is strong enough) should work for "most" movies but probably not all, and it's getting "loud" since the fan will spin all the time on software decoding.

If your main focus is movies, than the C2 is the better device. The XU4 is very good when it comes to games and emulators. Or if you need high CPU power for your applications (e.g. Minecraft Server)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

rooted

Post by rooted »

The glaring problem with the XU4 for media consumption is two fold, one is it's too loud and two is no hardware decoding for HEVC which as meveric stated makes it even louder.

I have both devices (among others) and the C2 is what I use for my main media center. It's just a damn good device.

The XU4 is fine but needs tweaks to the fan control and will only play HEVC up to 1080p @ 30fps.

Cap2587

Post by Cap2587 »

All of your input was exactly what I needed! I think you have convinced me to get the C2 as that will suit my needs better. How do I determine the storage size of the EMMC I need. Is this only for running the OS? Can I attach an internal 3.5 HD by using an adapter or do I only use an external Hard drive. Thanks for any additional info.

rooted

Post by rooted »

You can use the eMMC as storage but most of us use a NAS or a USB HD, I use an XU4 in the CloudShell with an additional USB drive as my NAS.

I would get the 16GB eMMC since it will give more room to grow, although if you plan on storing movies/music/photos you obviously will want the 64GB.

Cap2587

Post by Cap2587 »

I don't plan on storing movies on my eMMC. I think I am going to go with a 32 GB eMMC Android Card. That gets me to my next question. I am looking to have 5+ GB of external storage. I have a Qnap TS-410 NAS device. Would this be a good option to use. What external Hard drives are people using for storage. Thanks.

rooted

Post by rooted »

That supposed to say 5 TB?

I'm using an old WD Green 1.5 TB 3.5" drive that's inside an Argosy media player, it can act as a USB drive. And in the CloudShell I have a 500GB 2.5" (I forget the make) that my ATSC (live TV) recordings go.

If the QNAP has gigabit ethernet it's a fine option.

Return to “General Topics”