C2 power saving options?

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

C2 power saving options?

Unread postby Wire » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:03 pm

Working on a application that requires the C2 to be battery powered. Was wondering what options are out there to reduce the power draw of the C2.

Specifics for me:
No USB devices
No Ethernet
No Monitor needed
No SD card
eMMC card used
Need full memory (wish someone would come out with a reasonably priced SBC with 4+ Gigs of ram)
Need full processor bandwidth / speed
Running Ubuntu linux

Short of unsoldering parts (well maybe even that if power savings are significant) what are my options if any to save power?

Thanks
Wire

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Re: C2 power saving options?

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:15 pm

Try to run with nographics switch on and choose a conservative governor (presumably the cpu doesn't need to operate at full frequency all the time). Additionally if you can do the job with a lower top frequency limit that as well. I doubt you can rurn off power to the usb subsystem and gain much
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:16 pm

mad_ady wrote:Try to run with nographics switch on and choose a conservative governor (presumably the cpu doesn't need to operate at full frequency all the time). Additionally if you can do the job with a lower top frequency limit that as well. I doubt you can rurn off power to the usb subsystem and gain much

Oh. maybe compile everything as optimized as possible to better use the cpu features
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby odroid » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:36 pm

1. sudo ifconfig eth0 down will reduce around 250mW if you don't use Ethernet connection.

2. Holding a reset pin on the USB hub IC will reduce around 150mW if you don't use USB port.
Code: Select all
sudo su
echo 126 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio126/direction
echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio126/value

3. As "mad_ady" mentioned, you can save about 150mW if you enable "nographics" option.
It will also give you additional ~300MByte of free RAM if you don't use HDMI output.

With above tweaks and "interactive" governor, C2 consumes around 1.5Watt(5V/300mA) in idle state.
Above values were measured on the idle state too.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Return to Hardware and peripherals