feramon
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Retroarch on C2

Unread post by feramon » Mon May 09, 2016 3:07 am

Hello everyone,

I am currently building an arcade machine so I bought myself a C2 for emulation.
The struggle is real for the moment, the only thing I managed to run was Kodi under ODROBIAN Jessie.

Is there a way to make RetroArch run on C2? When I try to install retroarch-odrobian-fbdev, it says that python3:arm64 is required but cannot be installed.

Any help is appreciated :)

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Re: Retroarch on C2

Unread post by meveric » Mon May 09, 2016 4:52 am

Not sure what's with the Odroibian image, but I know retroarch is working fine on my image and I got a lot of libretro cores to work directly on arm64, although it can be a little complicated to get it to work correctly (starting from VT not Desktop, etc.).

I got a lot of cores to work under arm64, sadly all cores that require dynamic recompiler (such as N64, or NDS) won't work or only without dynamic recompiler which makes them very slow (PS1 games for example).

A better solution for the moment is to use an armhf image instead of an arm64 image. That way you can use dynamic cores from the other ODROIDs but only on fbdev drivers as well.

Currently the C2 is a bad choise for an arcade machine, especially with the missing X11 drivers you will encounter a lot of issues..
XU4 or even the C1 probably do a much better job, where the U3 is still the best in matter of stability.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

feramon

Unread post by feramon » Mon May 09, 2016 5:01 am

Glad to hear it's running on C2.
I'm not interested in anything fancy like NDS or N64 so arm64 should do fine, I guess...

Anyway, maybe you have a step-by-step guide for making retroarch work on arm64?

The error I get is that python3:arm64 is impossible to install and retroarch is not installing because of that...

EmulationStation is installed but not running. Says it cannot create a window (SDL)...

Thanks in advance :)

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Mon May 09, 2016 5:09 am

Just flash my image and do:

Code: Select all

apt-get install retroarch-odroid emulationstation-odroid retroarch-cores
should be all their is to do, besides some configuration on what options to choose.

although, I would suggest to install a Desktop + create a new user as well, even if you need to start emulationstation and retroarch from VT rather than Desktop. But it should take care of a many required hacks that are needed for the C2 (fixing sound issues, and permissions for users).
Also root can't run pulseaudio, which might be needed for games.
Last edited by meveric on Mon May 09, 2016 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

feramon

Unread post by feramon » Mon May 09, 2016 5:15 am

By your image do you mean GameStation Turbo? In your signature C2 is missing. Am I wrong?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon May 09, 2016 5:20 am

feramon wrote:By your image do you mean GameStation Turbo? In your signature C2 is missing. Am I wrong?
nope I mean my Debian Jessie image for the C2: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=19403

I don't have a GameStation Turbo image for the C2 yet, since the C2 is missing X11 drivers and I don't want to put too much effort in fbdev since it's causing so many issues that you do not have under X11.

feramon

Unread post by feramon » Mon May 09, 2016 5:35 am

Thank you very much, I will try that in a moment :)

feramon

Unread post by feramon » Mon May 09, 2016 6:09 am

I flashed your image and tried to install your -odroid packages but it says it's unable to locate them :(

EDIT: Sorry, nevermind. I forgot the apt-get update... :lol:

ryad
languages_spoken: english, german

Unread post by ryad » Sun May 15, 2016 6:00 pm

Is there a (good) chance, that the dynamic recompiler issue is going to be resolved on aarch64 in the future?
On Android, N64 emulation seems to work relatively okay.

memeka
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread post by memeka » Sun May 15, 2016 8:37 pm

that's an issue for the emulator developers - that spans several projects, like retroarch, ppsspp, n64 emulators etc...

ryad

Unread post by ryad » Sun May 15, 2016 10:54 pm

memeka wrote:that's an issue for the emulator developers - that spans several projects, like retroarch, ppsspp, n64 emulators etc...
Thank you for the clarification. So that's probably addressed in the next few month since aarch64 is becoming more and more popular (see RPi3). Greets!

memeka
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread post by memeka » Mon May 16, 2016 6:22 am

hopefully. rpi3 foundations has no plans on using aarch64 however, they are using it in 32bit mode, so rpi3 won't help :)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon May 16, 2016 4:03 pm

I think some of the community members of RPi3 will create a aarch64 image soon enough.
Some projects are already looking into arm64 anyway. For example ppsspp already has arm64 support for Android, they just need to make it more general so it works on arm64 Linux as well.
Maybe creating some tickets in github can push the development in that direction.

hephooey
ODROIDs: C1+, C2

Unread post by hephooey » Wed May 18, 2016 2:22 am

I managed to compile ppsspp(git and v1.2.2) with aarch64 jit by tweaking the cmake file to recongnize the cpu. But I always got a black screen (with some fluctuation of fps) for the games I tried, also no sound, so I guess it is not the problem of the unofficial libsdl2 (the one with mali support from github) I am using. On the other side, the ancient libretro port of ppsspp actually works wonderfully in 32bit mode, all the games I tested can run smoothly, while on C1 they are constantly stuttering. I am actually quite content with the 32bit setup at this moment, so not very motivated to investigate the 64bit jit at this moment.

Fotonic

Unread post by Fotonic » Wed May 18, 2016 11:12 pm

hephooey wrote:I am actually quite content with the 32bit setup at this moment, so not very motivated to investigate the 64bit jit at this moment.
What do you mean with 32 bit setup? Only the emulator is the 32 bit version on a 64 bit OS or the whole system is running under a 32 bit OS?

hephooey

Unread post by hephooey » Thu May 19, 2016 12:52 pm

My system is 64bit but I set up a 32bit chroot to run retroarch. You can think it as a 32 bit system (everything except the kernel) inside the 64 bit system.

ryad

Unread post by ryad » Thu May 19, 2016 2:50 pm

hephooey wrote:My system is 64bit but I set up a 32bit chroot to run retroarch. You can think it as a 32 bit system (everything except the kernel) inside the 64 bit system.
That's quite interesting. Does that basically mean that I can e.g. mount the rootfs partition of a 32bit C1 image, chroot into that and execute the 32bit applications? Or am I totally wrong? Thank you in advance :)

hephooey

Unread post by hephooey » Thu May 19, 2016 3:24 pm

ryad wrote:That's quite interesting. Does that basically mean that I can e.g. mount the rootfs partition of a 32bit C1 image, chroot into that and execute the 32bit applications? Or am I totally wrong? Thank you in advance :)
That is more or less right, start chroot using linux32 just to be safe, you might need to mount some system directories from the host system, something like

mount -o bind /dev /32bit/dev
mount -o bind /proc /32bit/proc
you need /dev/fb0 to use framebuffer and ppsspp read /proc/cpuinfo when started. You might need to mount some other directories like /sys or /run depends on the program you want to run. /var/lib/dbus for dbus and /var/lib/bluetooth for bluez etc.

You will also need 32 bit r5p1 userspace mali driver, it is just one file (libMali.so), you can find it in the buildroot file at openlinux.amlogic.com, the "OpenGL-meson8 r5p1 GPU Driver Fix" for C1 in this post also works:

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=16093

Probably a good idea to keep a copy of the original libMali just in case you want to use the image for C1 later. Or just copy the 32 bit file to some directory on your C2 disk, you just delete the directory when you no longer want the 32bit binaries.

ryad

Unread post by ryad » Thu May 19, 2016 9:09 pm

That's great information, thank you!
I'll give it a try when I find the time.

hephooey

Unread post by hephooey » Fri May 20, 2016 2:33 am

Good luck, I forgot to mention so far I only tested retroarch using framebuffer, no X11.

BlackPPoint
languages_spoken: russian, english

Unread post by BlackPPoint » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:11 pm

When i try to

sudo apt-get install retroarch-cores
on clean-install [OS] Debian Jessie (arm64), I get error message about missing packages:
  • libavcodec-ffmpeg56 (>= 7:2.4)
  • libavformat-ffmpeg56 (>= 7:2.4)
  • libavutil-ffmpeg54 (>= 7:2.4)
  • libswresample-ffmpeg1 (>= 7:2.4)
  • libswscale-ffmpeg3 (>= 7:2.4)
Where can I get them?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:26 pm

I need to rebuild the package with new drivers, but had other things to do at the moment.
instead of apt-get install retroarch-cores, try apt-get download retroarch-cores.. it will download the file in your current folder.
After that you can extract the files, either with mc, or with the dpkg -x command.
The files still work, but one of the core was the ffmpeg libretro and that required the older ffmpeg libs.. but it's not required for the other cores that are within the package.

BlackPPoint
languages_spoken: russian, english

Unread post by BlackPPoint » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:12 pm

Thanx for quick solution:)

armfan
ODROIDs: ODROID-C2

Unread post by armfan » Fri May 26, 2017 6:22 am

Hey guys, I installed RetroArch on my C2 (official Ubuntu) via the RetroPie setup script. I noticed that the sound stutters a lot while the gameplay is smooth. Maybe you know the issue and can give me a quick hint on how to fix it? I didn't change much yet so I suppose everyone should have the audio stutter issue when using the current software. I saw people talk of SDL and OpenAL drivers, but those don't appear in RetroArch's sound driver menu. I only see default, null, pulse, and cryptic stuff like "sysdefault:CARD=ODR", "dmix:CARD=ODROIDHDM", "dnsoop:CARD=ODROIDH", "hw:CARD=ODROIDHDMI," and plughw:CARD=ODROIDH".
I installed libopenal1 and rebooted, but it didn't show up in the menu.

Return to “General Topics”