Watching youtube with ODROID-C2

sampie
languages_spoken: english

Watching youtube with ODROID-C2

Unread post by sampie » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi,

I own Rasberry PI 2. Youtube videos don't work well on the PI 2. I am wondering if ODROID-C2 is capable of running youtube (full HD) videos smoothly? I am using firefox and chromium browser to watch the videos.

Thanks

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1

Re: Watching youtube with ODROID-C2

Unread post by crashoverride » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:40 pm

It should work fine on Android. I am busy testing other stuff at the moment, so it would be nice if someone else can confirm.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:57 pm

Indeed android plays them fine both in browser and in app. On linux playback is choppy due to still missing acceleration for X. Should play fine in kodi under directfb though

XeoSal
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2 & XU4

Unread post by XeoSal » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:04 pm

The ODROID C2 CPU is not to be underestimated, it's not only about the pure integer power, ARMv8 is something very cool with really efficient architecture and super instruction set that reflects clearly on the real life performance, yes you should be able to play 1080p videos in-browser using chromium if you have X11 accelerated rendering. You can still use the Kodi YouTube addon, I have just released a hardware accelerated Kodi 16.1 RC2 for official Ubuntu. :)

odroid
Site Admin
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:25 pm

I've just installed the Youtube plugin on the FB-Kodi 16.1 Ubuntu.
It plays well 720p/1080p videos on YouTube. It should be possible on Pi2 probably.

But YouTube video quality on a browser will be limited at 480p or 720p even we activate the GPU acceleration in the Chromium browser on Ubunut/Debian.
There is no VPU acceleration for the browser yet on ODROID. (as far as I know)

If you really want to use a web-browser for the YouTube platform, you need to install the Android on C2.

XeoSal

Unread post by XeoSal » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:32 pm

odroid wrote:I've just installed the Youtube plugin on the FB-Kodi 16.1 Ubuntu.
It plays well 720p/1080p videos on YouTube. It should be possible on Pi2 probably.

But YouTube video quality on a browser will be limited at 480p or 720p even we activate the GPU acceleration in the Chromium browser on Ubunut/Debian.

If you really want to use a web-browser for the YouTube platform, you need to install the Android on C2.
I was able to play 1080p H264 video samples on your Ubuntu image SOFTWARE decoded (only accelerated rendering of GLES 2.0) on Kodi without VPU acceleration and it was only about (30% ~ 45%) CPU usage, I think it should be possible on chromium with accelerated rendering. :)

sampie

Unread post by sampie » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:50 pm

I am familiar with Ubuntu OS, so that would be my choice for OS platform.

If I understood correctly youtube (under chromium) is not working out of the box with C2. How about XU4, is it capable of running youtube videos under chromium / firefox browser? btw. is XU4 CPU 64-bit?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread post by meveric » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:08 pm

The XU4 is a 32bit CPU but with very fast Cortex-A15 cores, which in many cases should be way faster than the Cortex-A53 cores of the C2.
XU4 is able to play 720p Videos in Chromium using HTML5 player and can even play 1080p videos in Chromium using flash player.
FireFox doesn't have Hardware Acceleration under Linux ARM and therefor is too slow to play HD Videos and is unable to use flash.

As long as the C2 does not have X11 GPU drivers AND as long as there is no 64bit version of Chromium, it's unlikely that you will watch YouTube videos in Browser anytime soon on the C2.
Both do not exist in the moment, and it is unsure when BOTH exist.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Digioso
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: Odroid U3

Unread post by Digioso » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a C2 as well. I currently have a U3 running Kodi 16 (thx @meveric!), a PostgreSQL database and lots of Perl-scripts.

Based on meverics last answer:
The ODROBIAN hybrid image (64bit kernel, 32bit Debian) should address the problem with Chromiom, right?

Has it been tested how good videos are actually running in Chromium? Not just YouTube, but other sites as well (eg I'm watching videos on a couple of other sites like winfuture.de and gamestar.de).
Or basically: How good is the actual performance of HTML5 and Flash videos in Chromium? On the U3 it was horrible (or maybe I haven't found the speedup-button so far...).
YouTube already offers 4k-videos. Can they be watched in the browser or Kodi with a decent performance? Preferrebly in the browser, though. As far as I know Kodi can only show YouTube in max 720p unless that has been changed in Kodi 16 (haven't tried it yet).
Leg dich nie mit einem BAOD an, oder du bist selber dran.

Das Leben ist grausam.
Wenn es mal nicht grausam ist, ist es grausamer.

XeoSal

Unread post by XeoSal » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:15 pm

Digioso wrote:Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a C2 as well. I currently have a U3 running Kodi 16 (thx @meveric!), a PostgreSQL database and lots of Perl-scripts.

Based on meverics last answer:
The ODROBIAN hybrid image (64bit kernel, 32bit Debian) should address the problem with Chromiom, right?

Has it been tested how good videos are actually running in Chromium? Not just YouTube, but other sites as well (eg I'm watching videos on a couple of other sites like winfuture.de and gamestar.de).
Or basically: How good is the actual performance of HTML5 and Flash videos in Chromium? On the U3 it was horrible (or maybe I haven't found the speedup-button so far...).
YouTube already offers 4k-videos. Can they be watched in the browser or Kodi with a decent performance? Preferrebly in the browser, though. As far as I know Kodi can only show YouTube in max 720p unless that has been changed in Kodi 16 (haven't tried it yet).
When using odrobian~crashoverride edition all armhf software/applications that used to work previously on other ODROIDs will work out of the box, however it's VERY simple to get chromium of armhf to to work on the regular arm64 edition as well.

Yes, Kodi by @OverSun supports hardware decoding up-to 4K, I am not sure if the YouTube Addon of Kodi will offer 4K quality already. At the moment Kodi will not work on armhf because HardKernel did not release the Mali binaries for armhf yet, I can guarantee there will be hardware accelerated Kodi for armhf when the time comes.

Digioso

Unread post by Digioso » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:42 pm

Thanks for the quick replay. :)

So that means video playback (or rather hardware accelerated playback) in Chromium cannot be tested right now either, right?

Das Leben ist grausam.

XeoSal

Unread post by XeoSal » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:54 pm

Digioso wrote:Thanks for the quick replay. :)

So that means video playback (or rather hardware accelerated playback) in Chromium cannot be tested right now either, right?
Chromium browser hardware acceleration will be available directly when HardKernel release the Mali-X11 drivers for armhf, if they have a plan for that of course. :)

The second case, is when Chromium Browser for arm64 along with Mali-x11 for arm64 get released.

Digioso

Unread post by Digioso » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:36 pm

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Hmm... then in my case I think that I should wait a bit longer. Right now I wouldn't get much of a benefit compared to the U3.

Das Leben ist grausam.

wrxtasy
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2

Unread post by wrxtasy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:43 am

The YouTube App for Android TV OS is the much preferred choice. It can also be installed on Android Lollipop 5.1.1 and is nicely remote control friendly :D

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-in ... -download/

In fact it is so good I would like to see it as a standard App installed on the HK Android OS distributions.
LibreELEC Krypton C1(+) HERE
LibreELEC Krypton C2 HERE

BlackPPoint
languages_spoken: russian, english
ODROIDs: C2

Unread post by BlackPPoint » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:21 pm

Without X11 accelerated drivers for Mali and AArch64 Chromium build you can't watch videos in web-brouser.
Even with HW accelerated Kodi you can't watch 1080p videos on YouTube, only 720p. As far as I know, that's because you need DASH for this, but Kodi currently have no DASH:(
Android looks the only solution for this, but I would like to have Ubuntu and this disappoints me a lot. I think I would not buy my C2 if it was shown on the page in a shop.

Digioso

Unread post by Digioso » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:54 pm

Sorry for warming up this old topic again.
I've seen that there is now a HW accelerated version of Kodi. Great!

Is there an update regarding Chromium as well? Have the Mali-X11 drivers been released?

Das Leben ist grausam.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:26 pm

Not yet. Kodi uses accelerated framebuffer drivers.

Digioso

Unread post by Digioso » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:14 am

Thanks for the update. :)

Das Leben ist grausam.

BlackPPoint
languages_spoken: russian, english

Unread post by BlackPPoint » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:11 pm

Anyway, there is still no FullHD videos playback with Kodi's YouTube plugin.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:32 pm

This is because youtube has stopped providing 1080p mp4 videos that have audio. They provide a separate video stream and a separate audio stream that are muxed together by the browser.
If you were to multiplex them together with ffmpeg on the fly then you would lose the ability to move forward or backward in the movie.

mmiszczuk

Unread post by mmiszczuk » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:21 pm

Don't buy odroid c-2. Chromium does not display any web pages, Firefox does not have a gpu acceleration (youtube cut in 480p), and kodi or not to install or display a black screen. I lost my only money, time and nerves.
How can it be that the computer, which is on the market for two months, nothing works?

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:01 pm

@mmiszczuk: You might have misconfigured some of the programs. Kodi works great on my C2, Chromium and Firefox display web pages (but without acceleration) and I can even play HD content under X11 in SMplayer. But I agree with you on one point - no embedded platform is comparable with a standard computer. Embedded platforms need more time (and effort from the end user) until you set them up "just fine". Also, HardKernel markets its products as "development boards", not plug and play computers, so some effort from the end user is generally expected.

Cartridge
languages_spoken: english, french natively
ODROIDs: The Perfect ODROID-U2, ODROID-U3+, C1, XU3

Unread post by Cartridge » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:09 pm

You can still use youtube-dl and mpv to watch youtube. I use it daily to watch videos. I can choose formats aswell if you first input "youtube-dl --list-formats LINKHERE" and then use "mpv argshere --ytdl-format=format#youchose" Both can be compiled with your C2 quickly since they're both very small. MPV might take a bit more time than youtube-dl but it's also small aswell.

I'd personally watch youtube on MPV anyday than to watch in chromium. Just a preference.
Just while you're waiting for chromium to show up in 64 bit mode
http://cartridgeports.cf/
ODROID's DO what WinDON'T "That's Blast Processing!"

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:34 pm

For me smplayer was able to render hd content without stuttering on the c2. Mpv behaved like a slideshow. Maybe you used a special build of mpv or specific parameters?

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:11 am

No I compiled it from the dev branch and I enabled SDL2 and GLES2. Put in some O3 optimizations and voila! Maybe yours was a debug compilation which has no optimizations or 01's 02's depending on how the source builds a debug release.

--edit--
For some reason, while googling for a 32 bit translator for 64 bit arm, I keep reading this line on many websites :
"This means that if the processor is running on a 64-bit enabled operating system, the processor is able to run unmodified ARMv7 32-bit binaries."
I don't know why or how it would not apply for us but I'm googling a bit farther to get the full information.
--edit--
I think this website explains it in details for what we can and can't do.
https://community.arm.com/thread/5516

mi7chy
Future XU5

Unread post by mi7chy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:35 am

It's a trade off. Using Chromium on Odrobian Mate hybrid I'm able to play videos in a window at about 360p without issue and I'm able to read the article while watching the video. Doing the same on Raspberry Pi 3 running Chromium on Raspian causes overheating and throttling when it hits 82C. One advantage of RPi3 is it does have a hack where you can install youtube-dl and omxplayer that allows you to click on a button in Chromium to download a YouTube video and play with omxplayer with hardware acceleration at 720p but it covers the article. It's more of a preference but the C2 way is less intrusive for most videos except for where you need detail. First board to implement in-browser video playback acceleration will win my wallet. I'm also keeping an eye on the BubbleGum-96 board.

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:46 am

I'll find you a solution, I'm just a bit slow-minded...Let me sit on that and get back to you. I'm sure there's something we can think of.

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:06 am

So you have viewtube which you can try, just google viewtube and then when you get to the sebaro website, click on the small blue arrow pointing down on your left.
Try-out all the available choices in the menu (The menu is only accesible when you choose a video on youtube on your browser). High Defenition option is 720p Standard is 480 and so on lower.

Next you can try some webkit browsers which you'll have to compile yourself (Something like QTWeb or qupzilla, epiphany is too big), I've gotten some serious FPS
with QTWeb at one point, but then the html5 player stopped working for some reason... You can also try viewtube JS script on this browser using a folder that is
in the same directory as the QTWeb binary called "Plugins" in which you'll put the file here if I recall correctly that these are the steps to do it. If not google qtweb plugins.

You also have (if any available or even exist) a Firefox/Iceweasel browser that uses a plugin called mediaconnectivity to choose any player you may like that you
have installed in your ODROID. Which is also AutoPlay when you choose a video on the youtube website. AutoPlay can be enabled/disabled in the plugin settings.
This of course needs flash to proceed. (There may be a chrome version of this plugin but I haven't searched for that yet)

If kodi/xbmc/openelec and all that stuff is available in 64 bit, you can also use play to kodi plugin that can be used in either chrome or firefox, also to some extent, a js script to do the job (that means it does not rely on your cpu bits type unless it's a really sophisticated script) to call kodi from within the video page you have chosen.
There is an option I heard of but never seen in action, to close Kodi when the video finishes. My thoughts are it's a simplescript that when the video finishes (driver thread closes) and UI thread comes on, to close kodi/xbmc. At least that's what I think happens.

If I think of anything else, I'll come back.

Digioso

Unread post by Digioso » Wed May 11, 2016 7:50 pm

Hmm... so basically with mediaconnectivity it should be possible for Firefox to send the video/audio to Kodi?
In that case 1080p (or greather) YouTube would also work with Kodi, right? I'll try out the addon on my PC to see what it can do.

Edit: Seems to be working with videos from gamestar.de . But it doesn't seem to be working with YouTube. On Gamestar I can send the videos to VLC. On YouTube it doesn't find any media.

Das Leben ist grausam.

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Wed May 11, 2016 9:54 pm

Use "Play To Kodi" Addon if you want to use Kodi or XBMC. If you wish to use any other media player, it should be MediaPlayerConnectivity.
"Play To Kodi" Addon works better for youtube. The reason why MediaPlayerConnectivity does not work on youtube, because you have HTML5 on, you need a firefox extension that tells youtube to use flash. I've used it that way once.

Digioso

Unread post by Digioso » Thu May 12, 2016 4:11 am

Thanks, you're right. I'm using "Play to Kodi" on the U3 right now as well. Unfortunately no 1080p, though. :(

Das Leben ist grausam.

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Thu May 12, 2016 10:54 am

1080p has never really been on kodi using the addon anyways. The only way you'll actually be able to is to use external players.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu May 12, 2016 12:53 pm

That's because youtube exposes two individual streams for 1080p. One is video only and one is audio. They need to be merged together by the player (or ffmpeg)

Digioso

Unread post by Digioso » Fri May 13, 2016 1:38 am

And this exactly is the reason why it would be nice to watch in a browser directly. :)

Das Leben ist grausam.

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Fri May 13, 2016 8:04 am

Personally, I'd go with compiling MPV yourself to watch youtube. I have a 5.1 Sound System and youtube in browser only supports 2 channels... I do have a Phantom Option on my Kenwood System but it's just not the same. With MPV I can change the number of channels to map sound on and have actual 5.1 Sound Working. That's the main flaw with in-browser experience.

Digioso

Unread post by Digioso » Tue May 17, 2016 4:34 am

Thanks, I'll give that a try. :)

Das Leben ist grausam.

best_odroidfreak

Unread post by best_odroidfreak » Thu May 19, 2016 9:44 pm

odroid wrote:I've just installed the Youtube plugin on the FB-Kodi 16.1 Ubuntu.

Сan I use this description to install Kodi 16.1 'Jarvis' on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus (Odroid C2) ?
http://www.ubuntumaniac.com/2016/04/how ... is-on.html

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Fri May 20, 2016 3:09 am

No, search the forum for how to install kodi under ubuntu/debian on c2

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:37 am

UPDATE! Since MPV and youtube-dl works nicely together (If you have another program that can communicate with youtube-dl you're welcome to use that program for what I'm about to say)
Youtube-DL does youtube/dailymotion and other websites I'm not aware of very well and I installed PaleMoon (FireFox Based)
on my Xu3. I then installed Launchy on PaleMoon, Launchy enables you to open any link with any app. I went to this website http://gemal.dk/mozilla/launchy-xmlfile.html to create the launchy.xml it asks for to configure your app to be used with Launchy.
Now I can call MPV from Firefox without the use of Flash (Remember MediaPlayerConnectivity? That required flash to work.)
Sweet right!?

PaleMoon finally made it's way to ARMv6 and V7. I'm about to host a mirror to it on my website. There's also an error about glcreatepixmap but I alerted the PaleMoon Guru about the issue since that specific guru is the one who ported it. I tried multiple times to port it but it was either too big or would error at a certain point. Enjoy this new small tut!

--EDIT--
Launchy works with google aswell! I've googled like this
site:ok.ru MOVIENAMEHERE YEAR QUALITY
Then I get numerous links to movies, I right click on a result without even visiting the page and launchy recognizes it, mpv/youtube-dl can take the long links that google search does before you actually arrive at the website. COOL right?! That means there may be more website which all three Launchy/MPV/Youtube-dl can take. It's getting better and better!

gychang
ODROIDs: C-2

Unread post by gychang » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:29 pm

On android youtube play well?

Snk
languages_spoken: Portuguese
ODROIDs: XU4 + eMMC 32GB + UART

Unread post by Snk » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:16 pm

gychang wrote:On android youtube play well?
Yes!

Zone

Unread post by Zone » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:51 am

Any updates?

Return to “General Topics”