[OS] Debian Jessie

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, N2

Re: [OS] Debian Jessie

Unread post by meveric » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:41 am

there is a thread for Debian Stretch, you should probably raise your question there as it's easier to figure out and not confuse it with Debian Jessie that has totally different dependencies.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

dominic
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by dominic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:46 am

meveric wrote:there is a thread for Debian Stretch, you should probably raise your question there as it's easier to figure out and not confuse it with Debian Jessie that has totally different dependencies.
Oh, have not seen that yet, nice meveric!

vk4tux
ODROIDs: none

Unread post by vk4tux » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:11 pm

Thankyou, I loaded a KDE desktop with reasonable functionality. However when I ran apt-get upgrade,
the update had a warning about the same kernel number used to update with a different module set , it advised to reboot immediately to build modules.

However it never booted, and no display.. I will start again from scratch and mark kernel to not update.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, N2

Unread post by meveric » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:32 am

The Kernel update is fine. I've done it hundreds of times.
The warning is normal and nothing to worry about.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

vk4tux

Unread post by vk4tux » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:03 pm

I couldn't get any boot, XU4 blue led stayed on solid., no HDMI verbose. I reinstalled to where I was with KDE and apt marked the kernel/header packages on hold to not update.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:12 pm

solid blue light means the Kernel was not loaded correctly.
Once again, the Kernel update should work, but maybe had an issue during installation, or was rebooted before data was written to disk.
4 files are required, zImage, uImage, boot.ini and exynos5422-odroidxu3.dtb. As long as these files exist the system should boot.
You can check the /boot folder after the update to check if these files are present.
It also helps to use the sync command before rebooting to make sure all files are written to SD card first.

vk4tux

Unread post by vk4tux » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:52 pm

I mounted the eMMC on my Ubuntu PC via transcend cardreader/eMMC adapter, and could access the filesystem fine.
All files mentioned were present in the boot partition. Something weird, but in anycase It has been working great here not updated.

pajtaz
ODROIDs: XU4

Load encoder firmware on boot - initramfs

Unread post by pajtaz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:50 am

Meveric or somebody else, can you please help me with a seeming simple problem?

It seems that the encoder firmware (/lib/firmware/s5p-mfc-v8.fw) is not being loaded on boot on my Odroid XU4. I figured this out based on this post: viewtopic.php?f=146&t=31951#p232237
I get the same error messages and I know encoder does not run when testing transcoding with FFmpeg. My error messages in dmesg are:
[ 3.358895] (NULL device *): Direct firmware load for s5p-mfc-v8.fw failed with error -2
[ 3.367213] s5p_mfc_load_firmware:73: Firmware is not present in the /lib/firmware directory nor compiled in kernel

According to the referenced post, I just need to "make sure the firmware is added to the initramfs". I tried googling but after reading many posts, I have no idea how to do this on meveric's Debian Jessie. I could not find a simple description of what to do, as in, do I edit some file and add some lines, or do I have to execute some command?

Can someone please list step by step of what I need to do? Thank you in advance.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:17 am

have you installed the actual firmware?

Code: Select all

apt-get install firmware-samsung
Also adding the firmware to the initramfs is not required.

pajtaz

Unread post by pajtaz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:35 am

meveric wrote:have you installed the actual firmware?

apt-get install firmware-samsung
Also adding the firmware to the initramfs is not required.
Yes I did, about 1.5 years ago.

If I do not have to add firmware to the initramfs then what is the problem? The firmware does not seem to load on boot.

I did upgrade to 4.14.81+ several days ago. Could that have caused a problem? When I upgraded to 4.14.81+ from 4.9 I had to change boot.ini according to one of your posts because Odroid failed to boot. Once I updated boot.ini to match what you wrote, it booted up and all of my applications seemingly work correctly. I have not attempted to use the encoder since 1.5 years ago so I do not know if it ever worked correctly.
Last edited by pajtaz on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:37 am

you can ignore this message. Doesn't matter if the system loads the firmware at boot or not, it loads it the moment you access the decoder/encoder.

pajtaz

Unread post by pajtaz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:42 am

meveric wrote:you can ignore this message. Doesn't matter if the system loads the firmware at boot or not, it loads it the moment you access the decoder/encoder.
Ok, then what is the cause of the error messages above?

And what is the cause for these error messages in dmesg?
Call on QBUF after unrecoverable error (repeats many times)
failed to try output format (repeats many times)

I have loads of these since I started testing hardware transcoding using your FFmpeg. FFmpeg just stops working and these messages in dmesg are the ones that stand out.

EDIT: Here is the output of dmesg after attempting to use FFmpeg a few times. http://paste.debian.net/1055219/
EDIT: Here is an example of FFmpeg problem I am having. FFmpeg freezes. http://paste.debian.net/1055223

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:22 am

can''t tell what's all the log output you have, but I can read that part:

[h264_v4l2m2m @ 0x600330] driver 's5p-mfc' on card 's5p-mfc-enc'
[h264_v4l2m2m @ 0x600330] Using device /dev/video11
[h264_v4l2m2m @ 0x600330] driver 's5p-mfc' on card 's5p-mfc-enc'
[h264_v4l2m2m @ 0x600330] h264_v4l2m2m encoder: enabling bit rate control: 2000000
This says it's found s5p-mfc encoder
it also states that it used /dev/video11 which is the encoder from MFC.
It wouldn't be there if the MFC encoder wasn't available and if the firmware couldn't be loaded.

But to be honest, I haven't really used the encoder for MFC yet.
It's also probably working better under Debian Stretch which has ffmpeg 4.0 available with hardware decoder and encoder.

Also the "freezes" are "normal" the MFC encoder/decoder is FAR from being perfect.
In fact it's kinda a known issue, that combination of hardware decoder + hardware encoder doesn't work, and you're better off with software decoding and hardware encoding.
Also it's having issues probing your input file. I'd guess, it's more likely an issue with the input file rather than the encoder.

.ts files are also known to be the root cause of MANY issues.
Maybe you should start with something simple just to make sure it's working.

Download a ogv, avi, or mov from Big Buck Bunny and try to encode that with the hardware encoder to confirm that it's working at all.

pajtaz

Unread post by pajtaz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Download a ogv, avi, or mov from Big Buck Bunny and try to encode that with the hardware encoder to confirm that it's working at all.
I downloaded two files and tested. The hardware encoding worked and with great speed. Thank you for helping out.

One final question: to use the hardware encoder with FFmpeg I have to specify video codec "h264_v4l2m2". In mad_ady "tutorial" the hardware codec should automatically be selected when specifying only "h264" in FFmpeg command. However this does not happen, the software encoder gets selected. How can I change this so that when "h264" is used in FFmpeg that hardware encoder is automatically selected? I want to use the hardware encoder with Tvheadend for transcoding but unless I use the pipe method, I cannot choose h264_v4l2m2m, I can only choose h264 in Tvheadend as one of the codecs.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:40 pm

I'm not sure what the graceful option is, but if tvheadend calls ffmpeg as a process directly, you can create a fake ffmpeg shell script that parses the input parameters and calls the real ffmpeg instead. It's a hack, but can work:

sudo mv /usr/bin/ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg.real
sudo vi /usr/bin/ffmpeg
#!/bin/bash
logger -s -t "$0" "$0 $@"
/usr/bin/ffmpeg.real $@

sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/ffmpeg
Now when you call ffmpeg it will log the input parameters to syslog. You can alter them if needed and call the real ffmpeg with altered parameters independent of the caller.

pajtaz

Unread post by pajtaz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:47 pm

mad_ady wrote:I'm not sure what the graceful option is, but if tvheadend calls ffmpeg as a process directly, you can create a fake ffmpeg shell script that parses the input parameters and calls the real ffmpeg instead. It's a hack, but can work:

Now when you call ffmpeg it will log the input parameters to syslog. You can alter them if needed and call the real ffmpeg with altered parameters independent of the caller.
Ok, thanks for the input. This is an option that could work so it is something I will try if other options do not work.

But why does calling h264 NOT default to v4l2m2m? Is it something with the specific version of FFmpeg built by meveric or was it something that only worked in your version of FFmpeg? Is it something I can change in source code of FFmpeg then re-compile (like wherever types of codecs are specified in FFmpeg source code)?

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:51 pm

To be honest, I have no idea how that decision is made.
If you run ffmpeg -h264 as root does it switch to m2m?

pajtaz

Unread post by pajtaz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:57 pm

mad_ady wrote:To be honest, I have no idea how that decision is made.
If you run ffmpeg -h264 as root does it switch to m2m?
No. It uses libx264. I have to specify h264_v4l2m2 for it to use m2m.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:24 am

the default behavior of ffmpeg is to use libx264 (as this normally is handled by vdpau and hardware acceleration) but this doesn't work.
My guess the ffmpeg version from Ubuntu was changed in a way to always use v4l2m2m instead.
This is interesting for encoding, but in decoding this already proved to cause major issues.

My version use default behavior as provided by Debian maintainer, as it's build from the official Debian repositories (just with some minor patches).

pajtaz

Unread post by pajtaz » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:24 am

Ok, thank you for clarifying that your version does NOT default to v4l2m2m.

One option is then to use mad_ady option to create "fake FFmpeg". I guess another option would be to attempt to change your FFmpeg to default to v4l2m2m when selecting h264 as the codec. I would only need this for Tvheadend since currently Tvheadend does not list v4l2m2m as one of the encoders. I wonder if there is a way to set FFmpeg options to default to v4l2m2m?

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:49 am

In tvheadend you can set parameters for what to do before and after a recording, here is where you would manipulate the options.

For streaming I'm not sure, I think mad_ady's way would work if tvheadend uses external ffmpeg.

AFAIK tvheadend uses internal ffmpeg though.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:31 am

rooted wrote:AFAIK tvheadend uses internal ffmpeg though.
TVHeadend is linked against libav* libraries from ffmpeg, which are the same libraries ffmpeg uses.
Since the libraries come from the system, they can provide hardware encoding/decoding as well.
In fact the libraries are what actually give the decoder capabilities.
I made a post about this a little while ago, stating that if you want to use the hardware decoder for RK3399 (ODORID N1) you need libavcodec-extra57 instead of libavcodec57 since only the extra libraries have the rockchip decoder included due to licenses
Because this package links against libraries that are licensed under Apache License 2.0, the resulting binaries are distributed under the GPL version 3 or later
viewtopic.php?p=229987#p229987

pajtaz

Unread post by pajtaz » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:01 am

I built Tvheadend without internal FFmpeg. This way Tvheadend must use external (system) FFmpeg.

I think it is too much work to modify Tvheadend to be able to list h264_v4l2m2 as one of the codecs. I was browsing Tvheadend code and I saw that there is a limited list of codecs (the ones I see under when creating a new Codec Profile under list of codecs), and these are specified in the code. They are not pulled from FFmpeg available codecs but rather "hard coded" in Tvheadend. To add h264_v4l2m2m to this list would take quite a bit of work. Maybe a project for the future but not now.

So I will have to either use the pipe method (most likely) or somehow try mad_ady suggestion.

To get back to my initial problem with FFmpeg and hardware transcoding on Odroid XU4, I think I figured out what the problem is when attempting to use hardware encoder on the MPEG-TS recordings which I was using for testing. After lots of reading and trial and error, FFmpeg was able to encode video only (without audio, using -an option in FFmpeg) and audio only (-vn option). When attempting to do both like a normal video file, FFmpeg froze when using hardware encoder. It works fine using software encoding. Then after even more trial and error, I figure out it has something to do with timing. I always got the "Non-monotonous DTS in output stream 0:0" - which is the video stream. I tried using "-use_wallclock_as_timestamps 1" before the input file and the encoder finally worked, although with huge amount of DTS errors in 0:1 stream (audio stream).

Where is the best place to ask for help with this? I need help understanding how to set up the FFmpeg command to successfully encode my MPEG-TS recordings so I can use the same on live TV transcoding? I figure the recordings and live TV will require the same command to work with hardware encoder. Should I post in this thread or another Odroid XU4 thread or somewhere else?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:49 pm

pajtaz wrote:Should I post in this thread or another Odroid XU4 thread or somewhere else?
Since it's not directly related to this image, a separate thread would be better.

loredin
languages_spoken: english, french, german
ODROIDs: xu4

Unread post by loredin » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:49 am

Hello I am having a problem by trying to update / upgrade , some packages cannot be authenticated.
Any1 else facing the issue ?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:54 am

On First of April Debian Jessie went into LTS support, some of the repositories changed.
please try the following steps:

apt-get update # ignore the many errors
apt-get install setup-odroid # this will fix the errors (might also work if you just do apt-get upgrade)
After this it should work as usual.

loredin

Unread post by loredin » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi meveric, thx for the proposal but this didnt help :( It might been a while that I didnt upgrade. Might that be a reason ?
I also tried apt-key update while googling and didn t help neither.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:51 am

loredin wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:16 pm
Hi meveric, thx for the proposal but this didnt help :( It might been a while that I didnt upgrade. Might that be a reason ?
That shouldn't be an issue.
loredin wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:16 pm
I also tried apt-key update while googling and didn t help neither.
apt-key has nothing to do with this, as I said, Debian Jessie moved to LTS support therefore some of the repos do no longer exist.

did it actually install a new version of setup-odroid (should be 0.0.1-43 at the moment) can you check the output of:

apt-cache policy setup-odroid
Also please show me the output of:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

loredin

Unread post by loredin » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:50 am

Hi yes , actually it wasn t installed before

apt-get install setup-odroid
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  setup-odroid
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 169 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,361 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,843 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/ jessie/main setup-odroid all 0.0.1-43 [1,361 kB]
Here is the apt-cache for the version :

apt-cache policy setup-odroid
setup-odroid:
  Installed: 0.0.1-43
  Candidate: 0.0.1-43
  Version table:
 *** 0.0.1-43 0
        500 http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/ jessie/main armhf Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
and here my sources

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main contrib non-free

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:20 am

ok, the correct version of setup-odroid is installed, but the sources.list is not correct.

Is the sources list from before you installed setup-odroid or afterwards?

loredin

Unread post by loredin » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:25 pm

it is from afterwards , I didnt do any reboot after install (but I doubt it woud be necessary)
After the install of setup-odroid , it added my users to groups tty and sys and tried the following :

patching file boot.ini
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Skipping patch.
3 out of 3 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file boot.ini.rej
patching file boot.ini
rm: cannot remove ‘/boot/boot.ini.rej’: No such file or directory
patching file boot.ini
Hunk #1 succeeded at 12 with fuzz 2.
patching file boot.ini
Hunk #1 succeeded at 104 with fuzz 2 (offset -8 lines).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 214 with fuzz 2 (offset -8 lines).

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:35 pm

The above is "fine" and can be ignored. It just applying some patches to boot.ini.
It was made in a lazy way where I always applied the patch and where it fails where the patch is already on the system.
Not nice way but also not terribly wrong. I have corrected that in the upcomming version.

Still I wonder why it doesn't apply the patch for apt.. I'll try to find out why it's ignoring this patch.

Edit:
Found the problem:
I wrote the function to check and correct apt, but I forgot the add the function call to actually use the function :D
Going to push an update for setup-odroid.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:11 pm

if you install latest version of setup-odroid again, it should work now.

loredin

Unread post by loredin » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Yup working fine now, thx for the maintenance meveric.
Are there stll a lot of users on that distro ? Would you suggest moving to a next one ?
Again thx a lot for your work

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:35 pm

depends on what you're doing with it.
The base Debian Jessie image is probably no longer used by many people, especially when it comes to server tasks, then most people moved to Debian Stretch by now.
I still heavily support Debian Jessie, as I uses it for my ODROID GameStation Turbo image, and as long as this is running on Debian Jessie, I will keep supporting Debian Jessie where I can (and probably even when I switched to Debian Stretch for a while longer).

trikster

Unread post by trikster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:14 am

I have issue with apt-get update as well. Mine gets stuck here:

root@root:/home# apt-get update
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie InRelease
Hit http://ftp.debian.org jessie-updates InRelease
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports InRelease
Hit http://ftp.debian.org jessie Release.gpg
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports Release.gpg
Hit http://ftp.debian.org jessie Release
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports Release
Hit http://security.debian.org jessie/updates InRelease
Get:1 http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/main Sources [305 kB]
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/main Sources/DiffIndex
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/contrib Sources/DiffIndex
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/non-free Sources/DiffIndex
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/main armhf Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/contrib armhf Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/non-free armhf Packages/DiffIndex
Get:2 http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/non-free Sources [1,631 B]
Get:3 http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/main armhf Packages [638 kB]
Hit http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/contrib Sources
Hit http://ftp.debian.org jessie/main Sources
Hit http://ftp.debian.org jessie/contrib Sources
Hit http://ftp.debian.org jessie/non-free Sources
Hit http://ftp.debian.org jessie/main armhf Packages
Hit http://ftp.debian.org jessie/contrib armhf Packages
Hit http://ftp.debian.org jessie/non-free armhf Packages
Hit http://ftp.debian.org jessie/contrib Translation-en
Hit http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/contrib armhf Packages
Hit http://ftp.debian.org jessie/main Translation-en
Get:4 http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/non-free armhf Packages [4,243 B]
Hit http://ftp.debian.org jessie/non-free Translation-en
Get:5 http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/main Translation-en [335 kB]
Hit http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/contrib Translation-en
Get:6 http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/non-free Translation-en [11.8 kB]
Hit http://www.deb-multimedia.org jessie InRelease
Hit http://www.deb-multimedia.org jessie/main Sources
Hit http://www.deb-multimedia.org jessie/non-free Sources
Hit http://www.deb-multimedia.org jessie/main armhf Packages
Hit http://www.deb-multimedia.org jessie/non-free armhf Packages
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/contrib Translation-en_US
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/contrib Translation-en
Hit http://www.deb-multimedia.org jessie/main Translation-en
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/main Translation-en_US
Hit http://www.deb-multimedia.org jessie/non-free Translation-en
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/main Translation-en
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/non-free Translation-en_US
Ign http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/non-free Translation-en
Err http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/main Sources
  404  Not Found [IP: 130.89.148.12 80]
Err http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/contrib Sources
Err http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/non-free Sources
Err http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/main armhf Packages
Err http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/contrib armhf Packages
Err http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/non-free armhf Packages
Ign https://oph.mdrjr.net all InRelease
100% [Working]
When i try to install "setup-odroid" it ends with "Connection timed out":

root@root:/home# apt-get install setup-odroid
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  setup-odroid
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 29 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,361 kB of archives.
After this operation, 12.3 kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  setup-odroid
Install these packages without verification? [y/N] y
Err https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/ jessie/main setup-odroid all 0.0.1-43
  Connection timed out after 120001 milliseconds
E: Failed to fetch https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/pool/main/s/setup-odroid/setup-odroid_0.0.1-43_all.deb  Connection timed out after 120001 millisecond     s

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:22 am

Currently the server from @mdrjr who is hosting the packages for my image is down, therefore you can't install any updates.
I have no control over this server so I can't address that issue myself.

@odroid said the server will be down for another 2-3 days :(

There is a mirror that you could use, if you're willing to manually change the files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/meveric*.list
replacing https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric with http://fuzon.co.uk/meveric instead.

Either that or you have to wait for a few days until the issue with @mdrjr's server is solved.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
trikster (Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:39 pm)

trikster

Unread post by trikster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:21 am

@meveric I'll just wait for the servers to get back up. Thank you.

BTW, is it possible to upgrade Jessie to Stretch? I saw several guides for raspberry pi and procedure doesn't seem too complicated. What would i need to do differently to upgrade my XU4 to Stretch if it's at all possible?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:36 am

generally it's possible but I normally faced one particular issue where the library librtmp1 was still installed from deb-multimedia from Debian Jessie, which rendered apt-transport-https broken under Debian Stretch, but if you manually install librtmp1 from Stretch afterwards, everything should work fine.

The steps are rather simple for a server image:
  1. exchange jessie with stretch in all /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list
  2. do an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
  3. manually fix librtmp1 apt install librtmp1=2.4+20151223.gitfa8646d.1-1+b1
    please note, that the particular version may change over time so check with apt policy librtmp1 for the exact version string
  4. you should also install Kernel as my Jessie images comes with Kernel 3.10 by default, but Stretch requires Kernel 3.16 or higher or else you will see lots of errors in the syslog due to missing syscall
    this can be done by install my Kernel 4.14 meta packages: apt install linux-headers-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4
After a reboot everything should work fine (hopefully :D)

It's a little bit more complicated if you're using a Desktop, but I "think" by now I should have all packages updates that Desktop should work automatically as well.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
trikster (Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:39 pm)

trikster

Unread post by trikster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:38 pm

Thank you for the steps, i'll back up my system and give it a try.

lele

Unread post by lele » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:58 pm

meveric wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:22 am
Currently the server from @mdrjr who is hosting the packages for my image is down, therefore you can't install any updates.
I have no control over this server so I can't address that issue myself.

@odroid said the server will be down for another 2-3 days :(

There is a mirror that you could use, if you're willing to manually change the files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/meveric*.list
replacing https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric with http://fuzon.co.uk/meveric instead.

Either that or you have to wait for a few days until the issue with @mdrjr's server is solved.
Hi Meveric, most seem to work now expect for the Jessie back ports

Err http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/main Sources
Get:58 http://oph.mdrjr.net all/testing Translation-en_US [329 B]
Err http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/contrib Sources
Err http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/non-free Sources
Get:59 http://oph.mdrjr.net all/testing Translation-en [326 B]
Err http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/main armhf Packages
Get:60 http://oph.mdrjr.net all/xu3 Translation-en_US [325 B]
Err http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/contrib armhf Packages
Err http://ftp.debian.org jessie-backports/non-free armhf Packages

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie-updates/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'main/source/Sources' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie-backports/main/source/Sources  404  Not Found [IP: 130.89.148.12 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie-backports/contrib/source/Sources  404  Not Found [IP: 130.89.148.12 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie-backports/non-free/source/Sources  404  Not Found [IP: 130.89.148.12 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie-backports/main/binary-armhf/Packages  404  Not Found [IP: 130.89.148.12 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie-backports/contrib/binary-armhf/Packages  404  Not Found [IP: 130.89.148.12 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie-backports/non-free/binary-armhf/Packages  404  Not Found [IP: 130.89.148.12 80]
Is this going to be fixed as well or it's a separate issue? The rest are working

Thanks!

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:26 pm

"oph.mdrjr.net" server is online.

lele

Unread post by lele » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:31 pm

thanks, so any reasons why the back ports would not work? They did work earlier.

I think this was part od the original image but might be wrong

thanks

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:47 am

that the part where you need to install/update setup-odroid to fix this, as Debian Jessie is now in LTS support only.

apt-get install setup-odroid

Return to “Other OS”