Gitlab Community Home Server - [The Easy Way]

vzool
languages_spoken: Arabic, English
ODROIDs: U3,XU,C1

Gitlab Community Home Server - [The Easy Way]

Unread post by vzool » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi, I'm a Web and a Mobile Application Developer, and Source Code Control Software is one of the favorite tools for any professional developer at any stage.
Source Control management software it's a tool that can make you record your progress in your application development until you finish and build anything up, and all these steps will be saved in safe place in your home, it's something like a movie for source code, you can go forwards and backwards.

Gitlab is something similar to GitHub but in your own server, and it's 908 MB, this is a large package and it does increase everyday with new upgrades and hot enhancements.
If I install it in my PC, it will slow down my PC, then I'm looking for something cheap and a dedicated device that I can relay on and leave it for this job, so I found ODROID-C1.

I'm lucky ;) because ODROID-C1 is so similar to RaspBerry PI 2.
By Apr 2015 Gitlab Team started support RaspBerry PI 2 and I tried it on ODROID-C1 and it does work too. :lol:
So, to install it on ODROID-C1 you need to follow these steps on the following link.

But before you do anything in wrong way, you should update and upgrade your system to make sure that anything is up to date.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Then Follow instructions here: https://about.gitlab.com/downloads/#raspberrypi2, it's just a punch of commands(Copy and Paste) :P

My Server OS is Debian minimal and you can find it here: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=8084, and Don't forget to choose Regular (writable root file system) image.

Remember, when you install it by apt-get your Gitlab Server will be up to date, just by run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
I think this is an elegant way and clean enough. 8-)

Note: To optimize ODROID-C1 performance, I recommend to you that you should make a swap partition with a minimal size of 2GB .

Hope this help other developers as it does for me, Peace :)
Imagine that, one day we can create our Reality.
Re-programming our Living Environment & every single Atom to serve our good Intentions.
Again, that day is so Close & will be very Special & Unique day for all Mankind.

knychw
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1

Re: Gitlab Community Home Server - [The Easy Way]

Unread post by knychw » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:30 pm

Thanks Vzool. I am trying to migrate my code to my XU4 and didn't know how. Will try this out.

Thanks and regards,

Un4Seen
languages_spoken: english, hungarian, romanian

Re: Gitlab Community Home Server - [The Easy Way]

Unread post by Un4Seen » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:13 am

I'm wondering what the recommended way to install Gitlab CE on an ODROID XU4 is in 2018... A lot has changed since this thread was created...

I've tried this guide
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-18-04

to install it on my Ubuntu 18.04 running on an ODROID XU4, but of course packages are not available:

apt install gitlab-ce
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package gitlab-ce

Return to “Projects”