SPDIF output from XU4?

bobertuk
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SPDIF output from XU4?

Post by bobertuk »

Is there any way I can get optical or coax audio output from an XU4? I know it can be done using the USB-SPDIF adaptor and XBMC but I need it routed via max2play to my Lavry DA10 DAC? The Lavry has no USB input, only optical or coax. XBMC has a passthrough facility for audio but I don't know if that means audio is then passed on to other (selectable) software.

I've searched the forums but can't find any other way of getting digital audio output to a non USB DAC.

Any help appreciated.

phaseshifter
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well

Re: SPDIF output from XU4?

Post by phaseshifter »

no the xu4 does not have an optical out connection from the cpu
at best you can go with the usb adapter

there is in future to implement it as the cpu does support it
but is not capable of connection..eg..pin is not exposed for use
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

KrzyInuYasha
ODROIDs: ###
C1
C2
XU4

Post by KrzyInuYasha »

The passthrough in XBMC is for bitstream audio formats like DTS, DTS-HD, DD, DD+, DDTrueHD and the like. it passes the bitstreamed audio formats straight through the HDMI cable (or audio device) to a receiver that can then decode them into their separate audio channels and output them to each speaker. if passthrough is dissabled then XBMC decodes the bitstream formats it's self into each separate channel before outputting them in a standard PCM format for out put to each speaker.

If you are looking for optical or coax audio out then you either use the USB-SPDIF adaptor which is basically a USB audio card with SPDIF connections, or you get a HDMI to HDMI+SPDIF adapter that will split the audio from the HDMI cable to 1 optical and 1 RCA stereo connection and passthrough the HDMI video to your display.

bobertuk

Post by bobertuk »

Thank you for your replies. I now have the USB-SPDIF adaptor and it works a treat - sends optical and coax direct to my audio DAC as required.

benyung
ODROIDs: XU4

Post by benyung »

bobertuk wrote:Thank you for your replies. I now have the USB-SPDIF adaptor and it works a treat - sends optical and coax direct to my audio DAC as required.
May I know how you do that? the USB-SPDIF/Coaxial not always be recognized by Ubuntu V15, however the image built with max2play are V15, if I use Ubuntu V14, it can always find the USB Optical, but no max2play build.

Ben

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”