Ubuntu 13.10 Dream Machine for ODROID-U2 (20140101)

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Ubuntu 13.10 Dream Machine for ODROID-U2 (20140101)

Unread postby robroy » Tue May 21, 2013 11:51 am

I created an Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander image, forked from the official XFCE Hard Kernel release, with a core suite of applications for a netbook/desktop computer.

Download the image here:
13.10 Saucy Salamander: http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/images/ubuntu/u2/Ubuntu-13.10_DreamMachine-U2-HDMI.20140101.img.xz
13.04 Raring Ringtail: http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/images/ubuntu/u2/Ubuntu-13.04_DreamMachine-U2-HDMI.20140101.img.xz

European mirror by @traxo:
http://odroid.txmonitor.de/

Want to upgrade your existing Dream Machine image?
Kernel updates: http://builder.mdrjr.net/tools/kernel-update.sh

Username: odroid
Password: odroid

Username: root
Password: odroid

Applications: Firefox, Chromium, Xine, XBMC, Gimp, Transmission, Filezilla and Oracle JDK 8.

X11 environments: Lubuntu (LXDE), Kubuntu (KDE), Razor, Blackbox, Openbox, Matchbox and Xubuntu (XFCE).

You may switch environments using the dropdown on the login screen after logging out of KDE Plasma Workspace. For best XBMC performance, use any desktop environment except for KDE.

If you enjoy my contributions to the Hard Kernel community, please consider donating an amount of your choice via the link in my signature.

Customizations left for you upon burning the image to your card:
    1. Resize the "rootfs" partition to fit your SD card. This is best done on another Linux system using the GParted utility.
    2. Set your time zone using System Settings -> Time & Date.
    3. Set your language using System Settings -> Language Settings.
    4. Set your username and password using System Settings -> User Accounts.
Improvements and upgrades
    1. To overclock to 1.92GHz, type "sudo gedit /etc/rc.local" in Terminal and remove the "#" from the beginning of the line that starts with "echo 1920000".
    2. Firefox has the IcedTea7 plugin installed for Java browser applets, and uses the built-in HTML5 player which is not compatible with Flash. Chromium has the Pepper Flash plugin installed for viewing Flash videos. Both Chromium and Firefox have the Adblock Plus add-on. The default browser is Firefox.
    3. All upgrades and updates have been run using aptitude, apt-get and synaptic.
    4. All orphaned and obsolete packages have been purged, including the original kernel.
    5. Lots of quality-of-life tweaks, such as setting folder preferences to List View, removing the Battery icon from the Status bar, setting the Chromium and Firefox preferences to their highest privacy settings, and installing wallpapers (/usr/share/wallpapers).
Features in this release:
Notes:
    XBMC performs best when the resolution is set to 720p, which is done by typing "sudo cp /media/boot/boot-720.scr /media/boot/boot.scr" in the Terminal window before rebooting.

Xubuntu window compositing is turned off by default for an optimized XBMC experience. To restore compositing, select "System Settings -> Window Manager Tweaks" from the Applications menu. With compositing on, you may adjust window transparency by holding down the ALT key and scrolling the mouse wheel while hovering over the window's title bar.

Vino VNC server may be started via SSH by typing "vino" after enabling Desktop Sharing using "vino-preferences".

To boot directly to the most recently used desktop environment, type "sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults --autologin odroid" in Terminal, which bypasses the login screen.

The default KDE Plasma Workspace is hardware accelerated, which can be extended to any other desktop environment by enabling the "Kwin GLES Hardware-Accelerated Desktop Manager" task in the Startup settings of the environment. Please note that Kwin GLES affects XBMC speed, so only KDE Plasma Workspace has Kwin GLES enabled by default.

Optional USB and TFTP boot support is available with the updated bootloader by @suriyan (more here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2722)

More Odroid software by @meveric is available here: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/repository

Last edited by robroy on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:09 am, edited 90 times in total.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)
robroy

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Dream Machine for ODROID-U2 (+Ubuntu Deskto

Unread postby sert00 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:23 am

ehi rob!it's what i was waiting for!!!only a thing....because yours android images doesn't work on Emmc,i used an sdcard,and consequently wanted to use the Emmc for ubuntu 13.04..my problem is i have only the 8gb version Emmc..is there a mode to at least pull-out some stuff from the image (also something i don't use...)and have a way to use it without problems in an 8gb storage(emmc from hardkernel)?
thanks for the reply and for the work!you do awesome things for us odroid users! ;)
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"
....and many of the goodies available....
sert00

languages_spoken: english,italian
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2*2__ODROID-U3__ODROID-XU-E__ODROID-XU-Ebeta__ODROID-C1__ODROID-XU4

Unread postby robroy » Wed May 22, 2013 5:41 am

sert00 wrote:ehi rob!it's what i was waiting for!!!only a thing....because yours android images doesn't work on Emmc,i used an sdcard,and consequently wanted to use the Emmc for ubuntu 13.04..my problem is i have only the 8gb version Emmc..is there a mode to at least pull-out some stuff from the image (also something i don't use...)and have a way to use it without problems in an 8gb storage(emmc from hardkernel)?
thanks for the reply and for the work!you do awesome things for us odroid users! ;)

Thank you so much :D

Unfortunately, the basic size for 13.04 is 8.6GB even when you install it from the Live Linux DVD/USB installer, unless you really strip it down to just XFCE like Hard Kernel did.

However, you can modify the image yourself and pare it down to fit your 8GB eMMC:

1. Burn it to a 16GB SD card.
2. Booting from the SD, remove all the desktop environments that you don't want using Synaptic Package Manager (ex. edubuntu-desktop, kde-desktop, gnome).
3. Remove any appications that you don't use. LibreOffice probably takes up a lot of room, so I would start with that, since it's essentially been made obsolete by Google Drive.

If you really want a lightweight image, I have an upcoming release called Whisper that will be re-forked from the original 13.04 XFCE image, with the goal of fitting onto an 8GB card with just the LXDE desktop environment.
Last edited by robroy on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)
robroy

Unread postby sert00 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:20 am

oh woow,i think Code Monkey will fit right for me and my 8gb Emmc!:D
On my host i use kubuntu 13.04 in dual-boot with Mint 14 Cynnamon,but on the U2 i really prefer something light,and XFCE is the perfect deal!i'll continue using hardKernel's version until Cod Monkey will be out! :)
thanks
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"
sert00

ODROIDs: ODROID-U2*2__ODROID-U3__ODROID-XU-E__ODROID-XU-Ebeta__ODROID-C1__ODROID-XU4

Unread postby qkpham » Wed May 22, 2013 9:34 am

I will take Code Monkey as well since I'm using a 8GB eMMC :D
ODroid U2 8GB eMMC + Sandisk Ultra 64GB SDXC UHS-1 - Ubuntu Linaro 12.11 // Motorola Lapdock Bionic setup
qkpham

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby robroy » Wed May 22, 2013 12:14 pm

I am planning three final releases of my Ubuntu series while waiting for ChromeOS to drop 8-)

1. A lightweight 13.04 image called Code Monkey, made for software hobbyists like myself, to include a range of application and web development tools like NetBeans, Eclipse, Oracle JDK 8, Ruby, ROS Groovy, Scratch and more.
2. A companion image to Code Monkey called Quiet Giant, offering popular server software like Apache, MySQL, nginx, Thin, Spigot and Bubble.
3. An audio production bundle called Smooth Groove, aimed at home musicians, to include recording, effects, processing, editing and mixing software.

Once it's ready, you will be able to install the official kernel 3.8 into any of my Ubuntu images.
Last edited by robroy on Thu May 23, 2013 6:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
robroy

Unread postby qkpham » Wed May 22, 2013 3:23 pm

That Quiet Giant extension thing is pretty interesting. I will use Spigot & other stuff. The ODroid U2 is getting more and more interesting every day :D
ODroid U2 8GB eMMC + Sandisk Ultra 64GB SDXC UHS-1 - Ubuntu Linaro 12.11 // Motorola Lapdock Bionic setup
qkpham

Unread postby meconiotronic » Wed May 22, 2013 6:30 pm

Really interesting, the kernel is the official from ubuntu?
meconiotronic

languages_spoken: english, italian
ODROIDs: U2

Unread postby robroy » Wed May 22, 2013 9:25 pm

meconiotronic wrote:Really interesting, the kernel is the official from ubuntu?

Thank you! The kernel is from Hard Kernel, the rest is the official Ubuntu release by Canonical.
robroy

Unread postby sert00 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:30 am

Apart Quiet Giant,i think i'll love Code Monkey and Smooth Groove!It's time to buy another 2 sdcard with 10+ class and 8gb minmum storage to easily switch between them!
when i will fill my card,a little donation will come from me sure for the work you do for us rob!and thanks also to hardkernel's guys,without them nothing was possible!
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"
sert00

Unread postby Punky » Thu May 23, 2013 9:58 pm

This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to install xbmc on this?
I'm extracting the Pocket Rocket Image as I'm typing this, but i would love to have xbmc on ubuntu as well.
Punky

Unread postby robroy » Thu May 23, 2013 10:50 pm

Punky wrote:This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to install xbmc on this?
I'm extracting the Pocket Rocket Image as I'm typing this, but i would love to have xbmc on ubuntu as well.

XBMC 11 is available from the Ubuntu software center, and XBMC 12 is still in development for the Odroid. Android version had already been finished and works well.

More here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1057 and here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1244
robroy

Unread postby jeffatrad » Fri May 24, 2013 10:22 am

Hmm, this distribution seems to have a few problems:

1) I get graphical corruption in the terminal windows (swiping the mouse over seems to fix it) - should i get newer drivers?

2) vi, and several other command line apps are corrupted (cannot execute binary file) - are they from another linux build?

3) the dpkg info file for calibre is broken, so apt-getting anything that requires it fails.
jeffatrad

Unread postby robroy » Fri May 24, 2013 10:48 am

1. The drivers are from Hard Kernel, you will get a more informed answer if you start a new thread and direct your question to them.

The official 13.04 release doesnt include Ubuntu because of some issues with the Mali drivers, and I think the font noise is only noticeable in the Ubuntu environment. The xorg.conf file may need some adjustment. Please post back with more information if you find a fix :)

2 and 3 are fixed by typing this into Terminal:
Code: Select all
sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/calibre-bin.*
sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/calibre.list

I ran out of disk space during one of the package installs which corrupted the calibre installation files. Removing them and reinstalling calibre restores the functionality of vi, xine and a lot of other applications. This will be fixed in the next release of Dream Machine.
robroy

Unread postby ysinotelodigo » Fri May 24, 2013 10:27 pm

This ubuntu odroid image is GREAT!!
I like it!!
If somebody need free space, he can execute "sudo apt-get clean".
ysinotelodigo

languages_spoken: Spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-X
Odroid-U2

Unread postby robroy » Sat May 25, 2013 2:21 am

ysinotelodigo wrote:This ubuntu odroid image is GREAT!!
I like it!!

Thank you!! I was very excited to get the Ubuntu desktop environment working, its my favorite :)

I would like to produce a few more 13.04 images, but I am currently out of SD cards for development use. You can use the link in my signature to help me purchase some new cards to store Code Monkey, Quiet Giant and Smooth Groove. I am also planning an ultrafast CM image called Big Tiny :)
robroy

Unread postby florin.tanasa » Sat May 25, 2013 7:09 pm

This image is great but I have problem with X because is freeze many time (in an hour I have 4 freeze) and is necessary to restart lightdm as user root (not with sudo).
If you have time look at this distribution http://voyager.legtux.org/ in my opinion is a great xubuntu distribution.
Maybe you ca take the conky script, theme and wallpaper,etc from this distribution.

LE> In Xubuntu session I see is not this problem.
florin.tanasa

languages_spoken: romanian, english

Unread postby robroy » Sat May 25, 2013 8:43 pm

florin.tanasa wrote:This image is great but I have problem with X because is freeze many time (in an hour I have 4 freeze)

It's sometimes due to a slow microsd card.

and is necessary to restart lightdm as user root (not sudo)

lightdm is already running, and doesn't have an option to restart. For fun, try "lightdm --test-mode" as the error message suggests :)

To switch Desktop Managers, type:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

select "GDM", and reboot. This may work better for you. If not, repeat the command, select "lightdm" and reboot.

If you have time look at this distribution http://voyager.legtux.org/ in my opinion is a great xubuntu distribution.
Maybe you ca take the conky script, theme and wallpaper,etc from this distribution.

Please post the assets so everyone can see :)

LE> In Xubuntu session I see is not this problem.

If Xubuntu works better for you, just uninstall the other environments.
robroy

Unread postby robrobinette » Tue May 28, 2013 2:03 am

Is it safe to use the apt-get update & UPGRADE commands to update Dream Machine?
robrobinette

ODROIDs: ODROID-U2

Unread postby robroy » Tue May 28, 2013 9:36 am

robrobinette wrote:Is it safe to use the apt-get update & UPGRADE commands to update Dream Machine?

After you run the calibre fix mentioned in the original post, you are free to run any upgrade command you wish.
robroy

Unread postby robrobinette » Tue May 28, 2013 12:04 pm

ffmpeg is tagged for no update. Is that intentional or can I select it for upgrade?
robrobinette

Unread postby robrobinette » Tue May 28, 2013 12:07 pm

I installed xrdp for remote desktop. When I remote into the Dream Machine U2 I only see the desktop background and no command bar or icons. If I right click I see the normal options for a new folder, etc. Anyone know what's wrong?
robrobinette

Unread postby robroy » Tue May 28, 2013 12:46 pm

robrobinette wrote:ffmpeg is tagged for no update. Is that intentional or can I select it for upgrade?

It's pinned because Ubuntu wants to overwrite my custom ffmpeg build during any upgrade. If you accidentally upgrade it, you can download the .deb file in the thread linked below.

From the notes on the original post:
Optimized ffmpeg which is used by Xine (more here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1281&p=8109)
Last edited by robroy on Wed May 29, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robroy

Unread postby robroy » Wed May 29, 2013 10:56 am

robrobinette wrote:I installed xrdp for remote desktop. When I remote into the Dream Machine U2 I only see the desktop background and no command bar or icons. If I right click I see the normal options for a new folder, etc. Anyone know what's wrong?

Things to try:
Run "gnome-panel" in Terminal after remoting in
Switch from Unity to another desktop environment like Xubuntu
robroy

Unread postby robrobinette » Thu May 30, 2013 1:34 am

Thanks robroy, I tried to open a terminal with alt-ctrl-t but it doesn't work.
robrobinette

Unread postby robroy » Thu May 30, 2013 3:01 am

robrobinette wrote:Thanks robroy, I tried to open a terminal with alt-ctrl-t but it doesn't work.

You will have to do a trick, which is to add "lxterm" as a Startup Application. This is assuming you are using the default Unity desktop environment:

1. Click on the Dash Home widget (topmost icon in the Unity bar), type "Startup" and select "Startup Applications"
2. Add "lxterm" as a new startup application.
3. Try your remote session again, this time a terminal window should pop up for you upon login.

There are many other methods to add a script, but this is the most straightforward.

Did you try Xubuntu? It's less graphically intensive than Unity.
robroy

Unread postby robrobinette » Fri May 31, 2013 12:40 am

Thanks again robroy, the terminal startup and "gnome-panel" worked for me to get remote desktop working.

I tried to switch desktop environments and verified that xubuntu is installed but when I login it is not offered on the login screen.
robrobinette

Unread postby robroy » Fri May 31, 2013 3:23 am

robrobinette wrote:Thanks again robroy, the terminal startup and "gnome-panel" worked for me to get remote desktop working.

I'm glad it's working for you now, well done! :D

I tried to switch desktop environments and verified that xubuntu is installed but when I login it is not offered on the login screen.

Did you press the circle next to the Username on the login screen? It has a little symbol inside it that looks like an animal footprint.
robroy

Unread postby ysinotelodigo » Fri May 31, 2013 7:35 am

Hello,

I would like to install Opencv in this odroid-u2 ubuntu. So I followed this tutorial for Ubuntu 12.04 (x86 or x64).
I had followed this tutorial for odroid-x and it worked. I have installed the all dependences of opencv.
The opencv need to libqt4-dev so I removed mali, installed libqt4-dev and reinstall mali.
The mali works because the glmark2-es works.
I configured the opencv so:
cmake -D WITH_TBB=OFF -D BUILD_NEW_PYTHON_SUPPORT=ON -D WITH_V4L=ON -D INSTALL_C_EXAMPLES=ON -D INSTALL_PYTHON_EXAMPLES=ON -D BUILD_EXAMPLES=ON -D WITH_QT=ON -D WITH_OPENGL=ON ..

The TBB doesn't work here and I actived QT because installed the dependeces.
The configuration indicates that QT should work.

cmake -D WITH_TBB=OFF -D BUILD_NEW_PYTHON_SUPPORT=ON -D WITH_V4L=ON -D INSTALL_C_EXAMPLES=ON -D INSTALL_PYTHON_EXAMPLES=ON -D BUILD_EXAMPLES=ON -D WITH_QT=ON -D WITH_OPENGL=ON ..
-- Detected version of GNU GCC: 47 (407)
-- Found OpenEXR: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libIlmImf.so
-- Looking for linux/videodev.h
-- Looking for linux/videodev.h - not found
-- Looking for linux/videodev2.h
-- Looking for linux/videodev2.h - found
-- Looking for libavformat/avformat.h
-- Looking for libavformat/avformat.h - found
-- Looking for ffmpeg/avformat.h
-- Looking for ffmpeg/avformat.h - not found
CUDA_TOOLKIT_ROOT_DIR not found or specified
-- Could NOT find CUDA (missing:  CUDA_TOOLKIT_ROOT_DIR CUDA_NVCC_EXECUTABLE CUDA_INCLUDE_DIRS CUDA_CUDART_LIBRARY) (Required is at least version "4.1")
-- Found Sphinx 1.1.3: /usr/bin/sphinx-build
--
-- General configuration for OpenCV 2.4.2 =====================================
--
--   Platform:
--     Host:                        Linux 3.0.75-odroidu2 armv7l
--     CMake:                       2.8.10.1
--     CMake generator:             Unix Makefiles
--     CMake build tool:            /usr/bin/make
--     Configuration:               Release
--
--   C/C++:
--     Built as dynamic libs?:      YES
--     C++ Compiler:                /usr/bin/c++ (ver 4.7.3)
--     C++ flags (Release):         -W -Wall -Werror=return-type -Werror=address -Werror=sequence-point -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wmissing-declarations -Wundef -Winit-self -Wpointer-arith -Wshadow -Wsign-promo -Wno-narrowing -Wno-delete-non-virtual-dtor -fdiagnostics-show-option -pthread -fomit-frame-pointer -ffunction-sections -O3 -DNDEBUG  -DNDEBUG
--     C++ flags (Debug):           -W -Wall -Werror=return-type -Werror=address -Werror=sequence-point -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wmissing-declarations -Wundef -Winit-self -Wpointer-arith -Wshadow -Wsign-promo -Wno-narrowing -Wno-delete-non-virtual-dtor -fdiagnostics-show-option -pthread -fomit-frame-pointer -ffunction-sections -g  -O0 -DDEBUG -D_DEBUG -ggdb3
--     C Compiler:                  /usr/bin/cc
--     C flags (Release):           -W -Wall -Werror=return-type -Werror=address -Werror=sequence-point -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wundef -Winit-self -Wpointer-arith -Wshadow -Wno-narrowing -fdiagnostics-show-option -pthread -fomit-frame-pointer -ffunction-sections -O3 -DNDEBUG  -DNDEBUG
--     C flags (Debug):             -W -Wall -Werror=return-type -Werror=address -Werror=sequence-point -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wundef -Winit-self -Wpointer-arith -Wshadow -Wno-narrowing -fdiagnostics-show-option -pthread -fomit-frame-pointer -ffunction-sections -g  -O0 -DDEBUG -D_DEBUG -ggdb3
--     Linker flags (Release):     
--     Linker flags (Debug):       
--     Precompiled headers:         NO
--
--   OpenCV modules:
--     To be built:                 core imgproc flann highgui features2d calib3d ml video objdetect contrib nonfree gpu legacy photo python stitching ts videostab
--     Disabled:                    -
--     Disabled by dependency:      -
--     Unavailable:                 androidcamera java world
--
--   GUI:
--     QT 4.x:                      YES (ver 4.8.4 EDITION = OpenSource)
--     QT OpenGL support:           YES (/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libQtOpenGL.so)
--     OpenGL support:              YES (/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLU.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGL.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libSM.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libICE.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libX11.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libXext.so)
--
--   Media I/O:
--     ZLib:                        /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libz.so (ver 1.2.7)
--     JPEG:                        /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libjpeg.so (ver )
--     PNG:                         /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpng.so (ver 1.2.49)
--     TIFF:                        /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libtiff.so (ver 42 - 3.9.7)
--     JPEG 2000:                   /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libjasper.so (ver 1.900.1)
--     OpenEXR:                     /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libImath.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libIlmImf.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libIex.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libHalf.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libIlmThread.so (ver 1.6.1)
--
--   Video I/O:
--     DC1394 1.x:                  NO
--     DC1394 2.x:                  YES (ver 2.2.0)
--     FFMPEG:                      YES
--       codec:                     YES (ver 54.92.100)
--       format:                    YES (ver 54.63.104)
--       util:                      YES (ver 52.18.100)
--       swscale:                   YES (ver 2.2.100)
--       gentoo-style:              YES
--     GStreamer:                   
--       base:                      YES (ver 0.10.36)
--       app:                       YES (ver 0.10.36)
--       video:                     YES (ver 0.10.36)
--     OpenNI:                      NO
--     OpenNI PrimeSensor Modules:  NO
--     PvAPI:                       NO
--     UniCap:                      NO
--     UniCap ucil:                 NO
--     V4L/V4L2:                    Using libv4l (ver 0.8.9)
--     XIMEA:                       NO
--     Xine:                        NO
--
--   Other third-party libraries:
--     Use TBB:                     NO
--     Use Cuda:                    NO
--     Use Eigen:                   YES (ver 2.0.17)
--
--   Python:
--     Interpreter:                 /usr/bin/python2 (ver 2.7.4)
--     Libraries:                   /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpython2.7.so (ver 2.7.4)
--     numpy:                       /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/numpy/core/include (ver 1.7.1)
--     packages path:               lib/python2.7/dist-packages
--
--   Documentation:
--     Build Documentation:         YES
--     Sphinx:                      /usr/bin/sphinx-build (ver 1.1.3)
--     PdfLaTeX compiler:           /usr/bin/pdflatex
--
--   Tests and samples:
--     Tests:                       YES
--     Performance tests:           YES
--     Examples:                    YES
--
--   Install path:                  /usr/local
--
--   cvconfig.h is in:              /home/odroid/OpenCV-2.4.2/build
-- -----------------------------------------------------------------
--
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/odroid/OpenCV-2.4.2/build
odroid@odroid:~/OpenCV-2.4.2/build$

But make show this error... (if I configure without qt, I can compile but I need the windows...)

In file included from /usr/include/GL/glx.h:32:0,
                 from /home/odroid/OpenCV-2.4.2/modules/highgui/src/window_QT.cpp:58:
/usr/include/GL/gl.h:162:17: error: conflicting declaration ‘typedef double GLdouble’
In file included from /usr/include/qt4/QtOpenGL/QtOpenGL:5:0,
                 from /home/odroid/OpenCV-2.4.2/modules/highgui/src/window_QT.h:46,
                 from /home/odroid/OpenCV-2.4.2/modules/highgui/src/window_QT.cpp:46:
/usr/include/qt4/QtOpenGL/qgl.h:85:17: error: ‘GLdouble’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef GLfloat GLdouble’
make[2]: *** [modules/highgui/CMakeFiles/opencv_highgui.dir/src/window_QT.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [modules/highgui/CMakeFiles/opencv_highgui.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

How can I solve this conflict?
I installed well opencv in odroid-x ubuntu 12.04 but I want to use the odroid-u2 and mali...
I don't know if this kind of error is normal because GLdouble is declarated two times...
ysinotelodigo

languages_spoken: Spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-X
Odroid-U2

Unread postby robroy » Fri May 31, 2013 10:38 am

How can I solve this conflict?
I installed well opencv in odroid-x ubuntu 12.04 but I want to use the odroid-u2 and mali...
I don't know if this kind of error is normal because GLdouble is declarated two times...

That is a good question! However, I don't have any experience with OpenCV, but want to learn more about it.

You will probably get an HK dev to answer your question very well if you create a new thread.

I have an upcoming image called Code Monkey that will include OpenCV, so I'll keep an eye on your new post and include any recommendations made there in my build.
robroy

New Release: Ubuntu 13.04 Dream Machine for ODROID-U2 (20130

Unread postby robroy » Fri May 31, 2013 2:33 pm

Please see the first post in this thread for download links and instructions.

New features in this release:
    Package dependencies fixed
    Installable on 8GB SD or eMMC
    KWin GLES is default window manager for KDE Plasma Workspace
Enjoy!
Last edited by robroy on Fri May 31, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robroy

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Dream Machine for ODROID-U2 (20130603)

Unread postby sert00 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:38 pm

thanks rob,finally i can use it on mine Emmc.aspect a little donation from me this late afternoon!(2pm now here in italy!)
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"
sert00

Unread postby hakatit » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:33 am

And I gave up, went with the odroid version. I'll have to consider switching. I landed here again searching for chromeOS for odroid. You mention it in the OP. I was considering getting my feet wet with it again(its been about two years since I last ). I'll be keeping an eye out for it, very exciting!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
hakatit

ODROIDs: Odroid-U2 and Odroid-X

Unread postby vasilito » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:41 pm

Hey!

KDE Plasma does not start on fresh image install
vasilito

languages_spoken: english, russian, spanish

Unread postby robroy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:31 am

vasilito wrote:Hey!

KDE Plasma does not start on fresh image install

Ok, ill look into it. What is keeping it from starting?
robroy

Unread postby vasilito » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:36 am

Hello Rob

after running some kde programs in gnome it appears there are some library problems like:

kwin_gles: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libkactivities.so.6: invalid ELF header

peace.
vasilito

languages_spoken: english, russian, spanish

Unread postby robroy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:12 am

vasilito wrote:Hello Rob

after running some kde programs in gnome it appears there are some library problems like:

kwin_gles: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libkactivities.so.6: invalid ELF header

peace.

Ok! This version is a pre-release.. the official version will be published next week, with Kernel 3.8 included.

I will re-install KDE and KWin and hopefully it will resolve the invalid dependencies.

Thank you for testing!
robroy

Unread postby majjhima » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi Rob. Great work on the custom Ubuntu 13.04.

One thing that seems to be missing, though I don't understand why, is /sys/devices/platform/tmu/temperature

I do see:
root@odroid:~# zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i tmu
CONFIG_EXYNOS_DEV_TMU=y
root@odroid:~# cat /boot/config-3.0.75-robroyhall-odroidu2 | grep -i tmu
CONFIG_EXYNOS_DEV_TMU=y

From the fan control thread you mentioned in the OP ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1247 ) I figured out how to reduce my fan speed so it's not so noisy, but it would be great to be able to use the odroidu2-fan-service for automatic control. Can you confirm this works with your next release with the 3.8 kernel?

Cheers!
majjhima

ODROIDs: Odroid-U2

Unread postby robroy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:12 pm

majjhima wrote:Hi Rob. Great work on the custom Ubuntu 13.04.

One thing that seems to be missing, though I don't understand why, is /sys/devices/platform/tmu/temperature

I do see:
root@odroid:~# zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i tmu
CONFIG_EXYNOS_DEV_TMU=y
root@odroid:~# cat /boot/config-3.0.75-robroyhall-odroidu2 | grep -i tmu
CONFIG_EXYNOS_DEV_TMU=y

From the fan control thread you mentioned in the OP ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1247 ) I figured out how to reduce my fan speed so it's not so noisy, but it would be great to be able to use the odroidu2-fan-service for automatic control. Can you confirm this works with your next release with the 3.8 kernel?

Cheers!

I dont have a fan to test. I just followed @mdrjrs installation instructions :)

@mdrjr can provide more information about the fan service than me. There is a separate thread for it, he may respond to you more quickly there.
robroy

Unread postby mdrjr » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:59 pm

Rob,

Add CONFIG_EXYNOS_THERMAL to the kernel config.
mdrjr
Site Admin

languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread postby robroy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:01 am

mdrjr wrote:Rob,

Ok! It seems to be already enabled in the odroidu2_defconfig for 3.8.13, which is the upcoming default kernel for Dream Machine.
robroy

Unread postby qlb1234 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Excuse me, how can I change the resolution to 720p? I found it in settings but only 1080p was shown up.
qlb1234

Unread postby robroy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:36 pm

qlb1234 wrote:Excuse me, how can I change the resolution to 720p? I found it in settings but only 1080p was shown up.

Copy the boot-hdmi720.scr to boot.scr in the BOOT partition (/media/boot) and reboot.
robroy

Unread postby robroy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:11 pm

mdrjr wrote:Rob,

Even with this option set to "y", the /tmu directory is still missing on my u2 and the fan service abends.
Last edited by robroy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robroy

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Dream Machine for ODROID-U2 (20130609)

Unread postby robroy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:24 pm

Complete rebuild from official HK 13.04 XFCE image
    Kernel 3.8.13
    KDE Plasma Workspace is available
Enjoy!
robroy

Unread postby FDLRS » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Thanks a lot !
It seems to be a very smooth version. I had some problems with the Xorg server crashing when I was looking at a DocX file with LibreOffice though.
Is this a known problem ?
FDLRS

languages_spoken: english, dutch, french
ODROIDs: Odroid-U2

Unread postby robroy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:23 pm

FDLRS wrote:Thanks a lot !
It seems to be a very smooth version. I had some problems with the Xorg server crashing when I was looking at a DocX file with LibreOffice though.
Is this a known problem ?

Thank you!

I didnt include LibreOffice because I use Google Drive, and LibreOffice takes up a lot of disk space.

Please post any information about the XServer crash in a new thread, including any relevant Xorg.0.log entries, and which environment you're using.
robroy

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Dream Machine for ODROID-U2 (20130615)

Unread postby robroy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:33 am

Kernel 3.8.13.2
Enjoy!
robroy

Unread postby Bilboed » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:38 am

This release is working well for me but I have the same problem occurring with a couple of programs.
When I start up ddd (graphical front end on gdb), after 5 seconds or so the x-server crashes and the login screen appears.

This also happens at times if I edit a file with nedit and press [alt]-z which execs make.

Any thoughts?
Bilboed

ODROIDs: U2, U3 and Show

Unread postby robroy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:45 am

Bilboed wrote:This release is working well for me but I have the same problem occurring with a couple of programs.
When I start up ddd (graphical front end on gdb), after 5 seconds or so the x-server crashes and the login screen appears.

This also happens at times if I edit a file with nedit and press [alt]-z which execs make.

Any thoughts?

You'll have to inspect your /var/log/kern.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what messages appeared right before the crash.
robroy

Next

Return to Ubuntu