Google Play Store keeps stopping - recently started happening

benwillcox
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1+,C2, N2, N2+

Google Play Store keeps stopping - recently started happening

Post by benwillcox »

Hello all,

I have an Android image that I have been using for over a year installing onto new Odroid N2+ 4Gb units using Etcher, based on the official Odroid ROM from February 2021. I then install opengapps ARM64 9.0 Pico version from March 2021, which installs Play Store version 24.3.26-21 [0] [PR] 360846531.
This has been working just fine, until the last couple of days when on brand new installs I am now getting 'Google Play Store keeps stopping' pop up all the time, and launching the Play Store just immediately closes so it is impossible to use.

It would appear that the Play Store is automatically updating to 31.6.13-21 [0] [PR] 462679837, and this version must have some compatibility problem.
I have tried a fresh install with the latest 20220721 Odroid ROM image, and the latest Opengapps ARM64 9.0 Pico version, and the problem still exists.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

Thanks,
Ben

benwillcox

Re: Google Play Store keeps stopping - recently started happening

Post by benwillcox »

Just an update and a workaround.
If I go to Settings, Apps & Notifications, Google Play Store, Advanced, Storage, Clear Storage,
I can then launch Play, and enter my login details (ignoring the continuous popup messages saying 'Google Play keeps stopping)
I can then try to launch Play but it keeps crashing, until I repeat the Clear Storage process one more time, then I can launch Play and install apps correctly.

So, any existing installs might be working ok, but when you try a new fresh install right now, it has the problem.
These users thanked the author benwillcox for the post:
odroid (Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:22 am)

rooted

Post by rooted »

Are you running from eMMC? I've ran into this issue when using SD card but not eMMC, seems to happen randomly when the cache gets too large.

Android doesn't handle waiting around for random IOPS gracefully and becomes unpredictable, of course this doesn't apply if running from eMMC and doesn't really explain why it's happening now unless your media is wearing out or something.

benwillcox

Post by benwillcox »

Thanks for the reply, I am using an eMMC card so I don't think this is the issue.

I have built probably over 100 of these units with exactly the same hardware and software images, but it's only until the last week or so that this problem has started occurring.
If I launch Google Play immediately after installing OpenGapps (with Play Store version 24) then it works, and I can login etc. However Play Store automatically updates itself in the background within just a few minutes, so if you wait too long then it updates to the latest version and then the system is broken :-(

Also to say these eMMC cards are brand new from odroid.co.uk, I've tried several and all the same, which rules out a faulty eMMC card.

benwillcox

Post by benwillcox »

Just tried it with the latest OpenGapps from February 2022 which installs Google Play Store 29.2.15-21 [0] [PR] 426536134, again this works fine for the few minutes after installing, but as soon as it auto upgrades to the latest Play Store then the issue starts.
These users thanked the author benwillcox for the post:
odroid (Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:08 pm)

rooted

Post by rooted »

I figured there must be a way to use permissions to prevent Google Play from updating itself. It's hacky but perhaps it will get you by until something else can be figured out.

You can try this ( from a quick search):

Install busy box and terminal emulator
Turn off internet
Open app manager, find Google play and uninstall updates
Open terminal emulator and type:
touch /data/app/com.android.vending-1.apk
chattr +i /data/app/com.android.vending-1.apk

benwillcox

Post by benwillcox »

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I've also just tried out Voodiks LineageOS 18.1 image. That comes pre-installed with an early version of Play, and when it updates to the latest version it does continue to work normally.

So, it would seem that it's affecting the Official ROM image only.

Return to “Android”