DrCryptos
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID C1, ODROID C2, ODROID H2+
Has thanked: 0

H2+ stopped starting

Post by DrCryptos »

Hi all !
Question for the experts:
there is H2 +, with all the body kit - 2x16 memory, eMMC 64 gig, cooler, battery, ... installed Ubuntu 20.04 lte. It so happened that I took it apart and for 6 months the board lay in the box. Decided to launch today. Collected, connected power ... One RSWR ST1 is on. I press the "start" button, both light up - SLP S1 - blue + RSWR ST1 - red, and ... on the monitor - "no signal". At the same time, the cooler starts approximately 3-5 seconds after pressing "start". Thought the battery was dead. Changed... I turn on the power - 2 lights are on at once, and after 3-5 seconds the cooler starts to turn, and on the screen... again - there is no signal. I changed the HDMI cable, and with a known working one - no change. Disconnected from the monitor (4K), connected to a 4K TV - no signal, but showed that the HDMI2 port is active, connected to TV 1080 - no signal, but showed that the HDMI2 port is active.

What did you try to do?
1. Turned off the whole kit, no memory, no eMMC, no battery - SLP S1 - blue + RSWR ST1 - red, "no signal" screen
2. Connected the battery - SLP S1 - blue + RSWR ST1 - red, "no signal" screen
3. Connected memory - SLP S1 - blue + RSWR ST1 - red, "no signal" screen
4. Connected eMMC - SLP S1 - blue + RSWR ST1 - red, "no signal" screen
5. Disconnected eMMC, connected disk m.2 NVME-SLP S1 - blue + RSWR ST1 - red, "no signal" screen, M2 indicator - off, SATA LED - off

At the same time, the Reset button does not give any reaction.
Power button - a long press sometimes leads to a SHUTOFF, and sometimes to a restart.
Also 1 time, 10 seconds Power, the board lights up with three indicators SLP S1 - blue + RSWR ST1 - red, the screen + PLT RST1 is blue, after restarting everything returned to 2 hot indicators.

Considering that when an M2 or SATA disk is connected, their indicator does not light up, I assume that the BIOS is not initializing, and I assume that the problem is that the BIOS without a battery has "deteriorated".

Questions:
- Are there any options for "hardware" or other BIOS reset, and how?
- what else can it be, and how else can you check its condition?

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4 (HC1, HC2), C1+, C2, C4 (HC4), N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance, M1

Re: H2+ stopped starting

Post by mad_ady »

It may take a while (5-10 minutes) to initialize memory on first boot. Try to leave it powered on for long enough.

DrCryptos

Post by DrCryptos »

I purchased the programmer CH341A.
I flashed it several times with different versions of the BIOS - from 1.12 to 1.23 versions.
What changed ? After several dozen restarts, the power button began to work correctly (short press) - turns on the board, long - turns it off.
From other manifestations:
on BIOS 1.23, the boot starts with the blue-red-blue LED lit up, the fan starts, after about 20 seconds the board turns off (only the red LED is on), and after 2-3 seconds it starts up again. Waited 10-20-30 minutes. No other changes have occurred, nothing is displayed on the screen. At the same time, no power is supplied to the USB ports (the LED on the mouse does not light up)

The most interesting thing is that if, after starting, you compare the BIOS from the firmware and from the source file, they differ ....
What to do next - I do not understand ....

The manufacturer should think about it - judging by the mass nature of such a problem, this is some kind of system bug - either the low quality of the BIOS chip or problems in the electrical isolation ... I'm sure someone, the manufacturer, has already returned these devices to you for warranty repairs. Tell me - do you have a concept of the problem and solutions?

UPD Once again I flashed 1.23. The behavior has changed a bit.
1. I supply power - only the red LED is on
2. I press the POWER button. Lights up blue-red-blue. The cooler starts up. No power on usb
3. After about 20 seconds, it goes into reboot on its own.
After the reboot, it works for about 20-30 seconds. And it reboots again, while the LED in the mouse lights up and goes out!
After that, H2+ starts up. Lights up blue-red-blue. The cooler starts up. There is no power on the USB, there is no image on the monitor. I even found an old FullHD monitor, working, the resolution turned out to be nothing to do with it - also no image.

UPD 2. Reflashed to 1.22. The picture is completely identical to the behavior described above ...

It looks like you need to change the BIOS chip

UPD3. It looks like you need to change the BIOS chip. Just in case, I ordered 2 chips, they cost a penny :) Next week I'll tell you how the situation with the new BIOS will change.
Manufacturers of H2 + should think about the problems, it seems that it is systemic anyway!
These users thanked the author DrCryptos for the post:
odroid (Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:30 am)

DrCryptos

Post by DrCryptos »

Chips (just in case I ordered 2 pieces) received.
After that, I dismantled the old chip, and installed a new one. I flashed it, checked it, everything is fine - the contents of the BIOS match the image ...
I turn it on .... and everything is the same! :(
I restarted, reflashed, the effect is the same - the cooler starts up, the blue and red LED lights up, and there are no more signs of life!
The device flies into the trash can, very disappointing ....

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4 (HC1, HC2), C1+, C2, C4 (HC4), N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance, M1

Post by mad_ady »

Sorry to hear it couldn't be recovered...

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: OGA, XU4, C2, M1

Post by mctom »

Yeah, probably a power converter failure, since 5V rail appears to be absent.
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

Return to “Issues”