Rack enclosure for M1

marinomrc
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid M1
Has thanked: 0

Rack enclosure for M1

Post by marinomrc »

Hi,
I'm working on a distributed computing POC and I need to put many (12/15) boards inside a 3u rack. Here is an example for raspberry pi: https://wiki.52pi.com/index.php/EP-0150

Can you give me some suggestions? Is there a fast way to do this? I'm thinking to re-use the Raspberry PI tool in the link above but adding some piece built using a 3D print.
Please, let me know if you have something similar.

Thank you!
Regards,
Marco

fvolk
ODROIDs: C4, H2

Re: Rack enclosure for M1

Post by fvolk »

I'm curious.
What features of the M1 make you choose the M1 specifically for your project?

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: OGA, XU4, C2, M1

Post by mctom »

I'm sorry for counter-question, but why on earth would you choose to build a compute cluster based on M1? The only reason I could think of are NPUs, otherwise N2+ is the product of choice for high performance computing.

I'm afraid there are no 19" rack enclosures for M1 yet, I haven't come across any. However there are 3,5" rack mount adapters already. :)
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

I have a model that originally designed for ODROID-N2 and quickly changed some dimensions to fit to ODROID-M1. This is not been printed and tested yet. Just for your reference if required. :)
3URACK-MOUNT.png
3URACK-MOUNT.png (69.62 KiB) Viewed 464 times
STEP file is attached, please remove .txt from the file name. The distance between the holes to mount it to 3U rack would not be fit since I have no idea about.
Attachments
3URACK-MOUNT.step.txt
(363.46 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

marinomrc

Post by marinomrc »

First of all, thank you guys for your answers! A forum with many people that actively participate is very good notice from my point of view!

@fvolk, @mctom:
Mainly because M1 has 8GB of ram. Also, N2+ has 2 more cores but M1 has the NPU unit that I can re-use for other projects. Anyway, in the future, I'll consider using the N2+ ( an N2+ model with 8GB of ram would be an amazing project... :))

@tobetter:
Thank you! but I'm sorry, I'm not an expert, can I use the file as an input for a 3d printer? how can I modify the file in order to fix the distance between the holes to mount the board in the 3U support that I linked above?

Regards,
Marco

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

marinomrc wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:24 pm
@tobetter:
Thank you! but I'm sorry, I'm not an expert, can I use the file as an input for a 3d printer? how can I modify the file in order to fix the distance between the holes to mount the board in the 3U support that I linked above?
Nope, you have to convert it to STL. The attached file is to modify it using CAD if necessary.
The product detail of the rack introduces the size of the panel but does not show the distance of the mount holes. I designed this when I was trying to build my build firm and made the holes when I have it, unfortunately, I didn't purchase it so I have no idea. If you know the distance, I can make holes for you which is not quite difficult. Also as I mentioned, I have not printed this to fit ODROID-M1 yet.

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: OGA, XU4, C2, M1

Post by mctom »

marinomrc wrote:
@fvolk, @mctom:
Mainly because M1 has 8GB of ram. Also, N2+ has 2 more cores but M1 has the NPU unit that I can re-use for other projects. Anyway, in the future, I'll consider using the N2+ ( an N2+ model with 8GB of ram would be an amazing project... :))
Not sure if you noticed, but N2+ has A73 cores, as compared to A55 cores in M1. That means some 240% of performance, measured as Dhrystone MIPS/ MHz. N2+ is clocked faster too.
Of course it all depends on what you're after, maybe in your application RAM is so critical that swap is out of question. I used 1GB models of Pi for clusters due to price, and 1GB was more than enough for my purposes even without swap.
Anyway I'd definitely look very closely into that matter before buying a whole cluster of new SBCs :roll:

And I think N2+ with 8 GB of RAM won't happen due to limitations of the SoC itself, IIRC.

By the way, I never noticed that but N2+ and M1 may actually have the same connector layout! ;)
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

fvolk
ODROIDs: C4, H2

Post by fvolk »

marinomrc wrote:
@fvolk, @mctom:
Mainly because M1 has 8GB of ram. Also, N2+ has 2 more cores but M1 has the NPU unit that I can re-use for other projects.
If money is unlimited, just go for it and have fun.

The price/performance of a larger cluster very much depends on the specific application - and you will find several discussions on building Odroid-based clusters already here in the forum, for example viewtopic.php?f=55&t=41680

If you really need 8GB per node, x86-based (used) small form factor PCs might be a more efficient solution.

hominoid
ODROIDs: C2, C4, XU4, MC1, N1, N2, N2+, HC4

Post by hominoid »

mctom wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:49 pm
By the way, I never noticed that but N2+ and M1 may actually have the same connector layout! ;)
The rear connector layout is identical to the N2+ according to my measurements.

marinomrc

Post by marinomrc »

Hello guys,
I wish to thank you @tobetter for sharing step files for M1.

Unfortunately, I was very busy during the last month and this caused a bit of delay in my project. Anyway, I attached a pic of what I did.
front.jpg
front.jpg (345.24 KiB) Viewed 77 times
Note: the adapter is not yet at the final release (the HDMI hole needs to be improved and also the mini USB is covered at the moment), but of course, I can share step files if needed.

Regards,
Marco

PS: probably this is a duplicated reply that I added in another post. @admin: I think this is the right place where add my comment, so please remove my other post from Odroid-M1 -> Projects -> "3D print things for ODROID-M1" if you think it's a duplicate
These users thanked the author marinomrc for the post (total 2):
odroid (Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:01 am) • cixelyn (Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:51 pm)

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

@marinomrc,
Duplicated posts are not a problem since this is a really nice rack configuration indeed. ;)

Return to “General Topics”