A good operation system for Odroid-Go Advance?

maxmoon
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-Go Advance
Been thanked: 0

A good operation system for Odroid-Go Advance?

Post by maxmoon »

I am looking for a minimalistic and good operation system for the Odroid-Go, because I've some problems with the ones I've tried so far.

I used RetroArena, but it is really bloated. Every console has it's sub menu and music and previews are starting on every button press and everything is just annoying. It even feels like the battery is draining only because of the menu, without having played a game yet.

Today I tried Retro Roller (this image), because someone recommended me this, instead of RetroArena, because it is less bloaty.

The problem is, that SNES games look aweful, now. But PSX games are much better now, even if you have to go through a lot of sub menus until you can play those games, because the games will not be recognized after the first directory scan (but it found my other games for gameboy, snes, nes).

Another problem with Retro Roller is, that it starts somewhere, where I really don't understand why it is there, in Menu -> Load Core. Why? Every time I start the Odroid device, I have to navigate back and go to history to play the last game or to the game list and search for a game there. Is it possible to just start the device in history or any other pre defined dir?

But maybe I have to change the operating system completely.

Is there another os with a minimalistic menu and a more intuitive configuration?
My blog: utopify.org

rooted

Re: A good operation system for Odroid-Go Advance?

Post by rooted »

I use the OS provided by Hardkernel which works great for my needs.

It's as minimal as it gets I believe.

nem08422
languages_spoken: English

Post by nem08422 »

I also use the OS provided by Hardkernel. It can leave a bit to be desired tho.

maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

rooted wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:43 am
I use the OS provided by Hardkernel which works great for my needs.

It's as minimal as it gets I believe.
nem08422 wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 11:12 pm
I also use the OS provided by Hardkernel. It can leave a bit to be desired tho.
If this is the right one, it looks like it is based on Android or Ubuntu. Both are pretty bloaty if they don't get a diet before using. :D

But how does the user interface look like? Is it the original RetroArch or is there some custom file manager underneath? Like you can find it in many systems for the Odroid, they show your games, but they will start retroarch if you choose a game.

Currently I am trying Lakka, which comes with the original RetroArch and I am configuring it for hours now to get it even smaller.

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Post by crashoverride »

maxmoon wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 1:51 am
If this is the right one, it looks like it is based on Android or Ubuntu. Both are pretty bloaty if they don't get a diet before using.
The official image is available here: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid_go_advan ... /ubuntu_es

It is based on Ubuntu "Minimal" and contains only what it necessary to function without "bloat". However, since it is Ubuntu, additional packages may be added using "apt".
maxmoon wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 1:51 am
But how does the user interface look like? Is it the original RetroArch or is there some custom file manager underneath? Like you can find it in many systems for the Odroid, they show your games, but they will start retroarch if you choose a game.
The interface is EmulationStation. It does not contain or use RetroArch. Instead it uses RetroRun which was designed for the GO-Advance/Super.

maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

crashoverride wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 7:03 am
The interface is EmulationStation. It does not contain or use RetroArch. Instead it uses RetroRun which was designed for the GO-Advance/Super.
I might try it next, because I am not satisfied with Lakka atm, because N64 games don't run at all. Do you know if N64 games run good with the os you mentioned?

maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

Okay, I've installed the system, but had some issues, because it didn't recognized my roms, because all of them are zipped. But I've unpacked an N64 rom and can confirm it runs pretty good.

But does someone know how to configure key bindings for the emulators, because for N64 the defaults are a little bit "unusual".

Thanks for your help :)

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

maxmoon wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:02 am
But does someone know how to configure key bindings for the emulators, because for N64 the defaults are a little bit "unusual".
Keybinding are not configurable. There is a forum discussion detailing the reasons somewhere.

There is also a forum discussion for the N64 mappings. The mapping was decided by the community.
These users thanked the author crashoverride for the post:
maxmoon (Tue May 10, 2022 4:28 pm)

rooted

Post by rooted »

crashoverride wrote:
maxmoon wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:02 am
Keybinding are not configurable. There is a forum discussion detailing the reasons somewhere.

There is also a forum discussion for the N64 mappings. The mapping was decided by the community.
Can the binding be changed in code and compiled? Or does the closed source bit interfere with this?
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
maxmoon (Tue May 10, 2022 4:28 pm)

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

rooted wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:14 pm
Can the binding be changed in code and compiled?
The mappings can be changed here:
https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/m ... #L518-L538

For the multiplayer version, the code is here:
https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/m ... -input-sdl
These users thanked the author crashoverride for the post:
maxmoon (Thu May 12, 2022 3:44 am)

rooted

Post by rooted »

Thanks for pointing to the code.
maxmoon (Thu May 12, 2022 5:05 am)

maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

I tried the official os now, but I am not satisfied with it. First I tried to figure out how to hibernate the system by pressing the power button once. I figured it out and it is pretty easy by writing something into a file:

Code: Select all

echo HandlePowerKey=suspend >> /etc/systemd/logind.conf
This is pretty handy, because I play video games in breaks for a few minutes and want to keep playing the game where I left it without navigating through a lot of sub menus. I just press one button to be at the point where I left the game, that's awesome! The problem is, that the volume goes back to 100% after hibernating and the network is down. I don't care much about the network, but the loud volume is pretty annoying and I couldn't figure out a short key to set the volume while playing a game. I have to leave the game, go to settings and set the volume down by hand. This is a no-go moment.

Do you know operating system where hibernate works without side effects?

btw. are there short keys for quick save/load, brightness and volume or is it possible to set them (like hot key binding)?

@crashoverride Thanks a lot for pointing to the right code. This helps a lot!

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

maxmoon wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:42 am
btw. are there short keys for quick save/load, brightness and volume or is it possible to set them (like hot key binding)?
When using RetroRun, there are shortcut keys for brightness and volume:
https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/r ... #L107-L141
F4 + Up/Down = brightness
F4 + Right/Left = volume
maxmoon wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:42 am
Do you know operating system where hibernate works without side effects?
I do not test any other images. However, there has been discussion about hibernation in the past. It is likely implemented in one of the other images.

maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

I tested a system, which had comfortable key bindings, but I already forgot the name. I should really order a few sd cards and not overwrite one of the two I am currently using, because deleting a system only because I found something I don't like, but then figuring out how to solve it, is just a pain. But before I order new sd cards, I should figure out how many (useful) operation systems are on the current market (in 2022)?

I found an interesting list on reddit. It lists other oss, too, which are not for gaming, so I don't count them. And some links are down, so I tried to figure out where to find the newest version and added other links:
  • Lakka | nightly (2022-04-02)
Is something missing or can I even remove something, because it's not recommended?

I need 9 sd cards, if I want to have access to all of them. Hmmm.... that might be an expensive idea... :lol:

rooted

Post by rooted »

If you only check a small subset of hard to run games you are interested in playing you shouldn't need anything larger than 16GB cards which are inexpensive, unless you are trying a lot of PSP games or the OS requires a larger card for some reason.

maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

rooted wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:36 am
If you only check a small subset of hard to run games you are interested in playing you shouldn't need anything larger than 16GB cards which are inexpensive, unless you are trying a lot of PSP games or the OS requires a larger card for some reason.
Most of the time I play SNES games or others of the same generation or even older. The only game I want to play on a newer system is Mario Kart 64 and a few PSX games. There are a few PS2 games I would like to play, too, but I think the handhelds nowadays aren't powerful enough, yet. Please prove me wrong! :D

The problem is, that I can't find new 16GB microsd cards anymore. The electronic shops I buy my stuff are not selling them anymore and I have really bad experience with buying used sd cards (ripoffs). The other problem is, that the sd card must be fast. In my experience (I used a lot Raspberry Pis) the Sandisk Extreme is really good to run operating systems on it. I had others and the worst have been the one from Kingston. And the prize difference between the 32GB and the 64GB sd card isn't huge (32GB = €9,89, 64GB = €12,99, 128GB = €22,79). Those are only €3,10 for 32GB more, if I buy the 64GB card! The €3,10 more for one card might be not a lot, but if I buy 9 of them, it's €27,90. But I think I can sell 64GB much better after I found the "right" operation system, because those are used for Raspberry Pis and Smartphones a lot.

Which sd cards are you people using?

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: OGA, XU4, C2, M1

Post by mctom »

There are some threads on SD cards already. I used to have a cluster so I own some 10 SD cards. These are 16GB Kingston A1 cards that I got for some $4 or less. However I didn't sit all day looking for slight performance differences, as I used these SBCs for CPU intensive tasks instead.
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

I use Samsung and SanDisk exclusively, not for any particular reason other than availability.

maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

mctom wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:41 pm
There are some threads on SD cards already.
I couldn't find much about which cards people use, but an interesting information about Linuxes A2 support. And another thing that sounds interesting is Petitboot. Might it be possible to have several OSs on one sd card? I think no, because every os is starting a script to extend the current partition automatically, which could break this system, but please prove me wrong.
rooted wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:18 pm
I use Samsung and SanDisk exclusively, not for any particular reason other than availability.
What are the sizes of your sd cards and do you use them for other stuff than games? Even if I would get a few more games than those I really like to play I would never reach 16Gb, but those aren't produced/sold anymore. But maybe I can find something to use the whole 64GB, if I buy those soon?

mctom

Post by mctom »

Technically you could have multiple OSes on a single drive, just like on x86 machine. The problem is to make that happen, as OS for SBCs are most often delivered as preinstalled images.
I've never done that and never though about that, but if I had to try I'd do it as follows:
- Write two OS images on two separate SD cards
- Boot each of them once so they expand partitions and so on
- Access one of the cards using a reader on another machine. Use gparted or a similar tool to shrink the OS partition present.
- Use available space to create another partition of the same type (probably ext4
- Simply copy files from second SD card onto the new partition
- Insert that card into the SBC and hope for the best... If the original OS still boots, that's already a success.

That probably wouldn't work, as petitboot won't just recognize all OSes on the SD card and start whatever is configured on a tiny partition at the beginning of a card.
But perhaps grub could be installed, so after petitboot boots SD card, grub takes over and lets you select one of the OSes... I can't tell.

My experience tells me that multi-OS setups suck, as I'm not a fan of restarting a machine to change a task. Just use one OS that works for you, or make it work the way you want.
These users thanked the author mctom for the post:
maxmoon (Sun May 15, 2022 1:49 am)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

I would never use a multi-os system in productive. It was just an idea for testing OSs on Odroid-Go Advance. But after reading your text I recognized how much work it is and it might be much easier to use a bunch of sd cards.

Thanks a lot.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Ah, not to mention OGA. How on earth would you operate grub without a standard keyboard? ;)
Yup, definitely, just swap these SD cards.
These users thanked the author mctom for the post:
maxmoon (Sun May 15, 2022 5:08 am)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

My cards range from 8GB to 128GB, in the OGA and OGS I run 32GB cards. I don't run many PSP games since I also have a jailbroken Vita.
maxmoon (Sun May 15, 2022 5:08 am)

Return to “General Topics”