vuScape8m

hominoid
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, C4, XU4, MC1, N1, N2, N2+, HC4

vuScape8m

Post by hominoid »

The vuScape8m is an integrated case utilizing the Odroid-M1 and Vu8M LCD display. It can be used with or without the included stand brackets. Unlike the OEM mounting hardware, this design positions the M1 so that the heatsink is exposed at the rear of the case instead of next to the back of the LCD.
    vuScape8m.gif
    vuScape8m.gif (1.55 MiB) Viewed 186 times
      One outstanding design issue is that the OEM FPC cable is not long enough and needs to be upgraded. There is room to accommodate a longer cable and a longer cable will make the assembly easier.
        vuScape8m-flip.gif
        vuScape8m-flip.gif (2.5 MiB) Viewed 186 times
          Another issue I encountered is the lack of adequate space to mount an internal speaker of any significant size. I was originally looking at using a Boom Bonnet speaker but it is too tall for the back SBC cover. The only other HK possibility would be the speaker that is used in the Odroid-Go Advanced, but it is a very small speaker and IMO the fidelity isn’t the best for this application. The audio jack is exposed and an external speaker is always a possibility.

Build Notes
          The included stl has countersunk thru connections for securing the case face, case back and stand brackets with M3 16mm screws. A few variables can be used to disable the top vent, brackets and the spherical indent for the SD-card. The SD-card indent is necessary to expose enough of the SD-card for insertion and removal, but the bottom half doesn’t print cleanly without support so it can also be disabled. The insertion of the SD-card poses no problems but even with the indent, the SD-card is still a challenge to grab for removal. Long finger nails, the use of tweezers or hemostats may be necessary.

Code: Select all

vent = true;                        // vent (true or false)
            bracket = true;                     // brackets (true or false)
            sd_indent = true;                   // sdcard sphere indent
              BOM
              4 M3 x 16mm cap or pan head screws
              4 M3 nuts
              4 M3 x 25-30mm cap or pan head screws
              8 M3 x 6mm cap or pan head screws

I’m currently trying to locate a 120mm-200mm FPC cable to complete my build out. The wiki indicates that a 31pin 1x4 Lane cable is needed but does not specify the pitch(EDIT: .3mm pitch). Since there is room, it looks like a standard FPC cable with a twist can be used.

May 5, 2022 vuScape8m version 1.0
              initial release

May 9, 2022 vuScape8m version 1.0.1
              Stand brackets and holes adjusted, audio plug opening repositioned
              vuScape8m-v1.0.1.zip
              (671.2 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
              vuScape8m.scad
              ./lib
              ./stl
              Last edited by hominoid on Tue May 10, 2022 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
              These users thanked the author hominoid for the post (total 4):
              tobetter (Fri May 06, 2022 7:49 am) • mctom (Fri May 06, 2022 4:02 pm) • odroid (Sat May 07, 2022 10:11 am) • istanbulls (Thu May 19, 2022 3:01 am)

mctom
              languages_spoken: english, polish
              ODROIDs: OGA, XU4, C2, M1

Re: vuScape8m

Post by mctom »

hominoid wrote:
              Fri May 06, 2022 5:57 am
              Using a reversed FPC cable will also avoid having to twist the cable in order to make the connection.
              But won't that swap the pin order? :shock:
              hominoid wrote:
              Fri May 06, 2022 5:57 am
              The wiki indicates that a 31pin 1x4 Lane cable is needed but does not specify the pitch(EDIT: .3mm pitch).
              It's written right on it. ;) Please share your source once you find it, I'll need it too.
              Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

hominoid

Post by hominoid »

Originally I wasn't sure if the pin order would be reversed but after finding a picture of one your right. The good news is there are 31pin FPC .3 pitch cables available at several different lengths in the range needed(120mm,150mm,200mm). So far I have only found them in China; neither Digi-Key or Mouser carry them. There is a 150mm type-a on e-bay but delivered from china. Still searching for something more local but in worst case Ali-Express it will be....and then wait for weeks. The OEM VU8M and Camera FPC cables are too short and I think HK should consider providing longer cables otherwise there might be a lot of e-waste 60mm ones imo.
                FPC_cables.png
                FPC_cables.png (107.66 KiB) Viewed 143 times
                  Yes, it is printed on the cable and for as many times as I handled the thing one would have expected that I would have seen it first. It was only after I posted that I thought, hey...maybe it's on the cable, I should look again so I don't look foolish. :oops: ...too late OP updated.

mctom
                  languages_spoken: english, polish
                  ODROIDs: OGA, XU4, C2, M1

Post by mctom »

Hahah, no worries, I fetched my Vu8M set to make sure that was 31 pins indeed as I was sure it was 39. That's how I knew anything is written on them :D

Yes I was looking for them anywhere else than Ali but no luck either. I haven't bought any yet, I'm not sure how long I need.
                  I'll need to somehow bend the cable 90 degrees for my build and I have no idea if I can just fold it and hope for the best..
                  Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

hominoid

Post by hominoid »

Version 1.0.1 with a couple small tweaks has been uploaded to OP. Adjustments were made to the stand bracket locations and holes as well as the audio plug location in sbc model framework changed so the opening was corrected.
                  These users thanked the author hominoid for the post:
                  odroid (Wed May 11, 2022 9:26 am)

Return to “Projects”