Fedora 34 Workstation - XU Edition

pothos
languages_spoken: english
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fedora 34 Workstation - XU Edition

Post by pothos »

Is there a way to switch to panfrost? I tried skipping the /usr/local/ mali drivers but mesa with the phoc compositor still used the llvmpipe fallback renderer (PAN_MESA_DEBUG=bifrost is set in /etc/environment and after running "sudo modprobe panfrost"):

Code: Select all

[odroid@odroidxu ~]$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib WLR_BACKENDS=headless WLR_LIBINPUT_NO_DEVICES=1 phoc
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to create dri screen

(phoc:15446): phoc-wlroots-CRITICAL **: 23:50:36.481: [EGL] command: eglInitialize, error: EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED (0x3001), message: "DRI2: failed to create screen"
Running compositor on wayland display 'wayland-0'
(continues due to llvmpipe fallback…)
That's on the 5.8 kernel.

MastaG

Post by MastaG »

pothos wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:57 am
Is there a way to switch to panfrost? I tried skipping the /usr/local/ mali drivers but mesa with the phoc compositor still used the llvmpipe fallback renderer (PAN_MESA_DEBUG=bifrost is set in /etc/environment and after running "sudo modprobe panfrost"):

Code: Select all

[odroid@odroidxu ~]$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib WLR_BACKENDS=headless WLR_LIBINPUT_NO_DEVICES=1 phoc
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to create dri screen

(phoc:15446): phoc-wlroots-CRITICAL **: 23:50:36.481: [EGL] command: eglInitialize, error: EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED (0x3001), message: "DRI2: failed to create screen"
Running compositor on wayland display 'wayland-0'
(continues due to llvmpipe fallback…)
That's on the 5.8 kernel.
For panfrost you'll have to manually compile mesa from source and whitelist the GPU id yourself.
Also (correct me if I'm wrong) it requires some modifications to the kernel or else you'll get some permission denied error on drm interfaces.
I've tried it before but got all kinds of black corruption on my screen when trying to run gnome.
These users thanked the author MastaG for the post:
pothos (Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:09 am)

chewitt

Post by chewitt »

Panfrost does not support the Mali T628 in the XU4. It's one of the oldest Midgard designs and has the large collection of silicon 'errata' (bugs) that need to be avoided with software workarounds. The panfrost kernel driver will build run and detect hardware, and ultra simple apps like kmscube run, but mesa faults when more complex jobs are submitted and this wedges the board. Panfrost maintainers are not too interested as it needs messy code and nobody is funding them to support T628, but the developers of the Baikal-M SoC which also uses T628 (albeit at a different silicon revision, which is unfortunately rather important) have been working on some of the problems. Changes for the kernel driver were recently submitted and I think will be merged for Linux 5.18 but the mesa side which will be a lot more complicated, is still at early stages.
These users thanked the author chewitt for the post (total 2):
pothos (Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:15 pm) • MastaG (Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:58 am)

hisencan
ODROIDs: XU4

Post by hisencan »

Great work, any news on Fedora 35 upgrade?

MastaG

Post by MastaG »

Actually, I skipped on F35 and I'm preparing a F36 image.
This time it was built from scratch using the vanilla armhf image so not a single dev package or leftover is present, making it a very clean release.

I tweaked the kernel a little, bumped Kodi to the latest 19.x release and rebuilt re3/VC GTA 3 and Vice City using the latest codebase, they now run a lot better and are actual playable on 1080p if you lower the draw distance a bit.

I'm currently looking into a GTK4 bug where all applications seem to crash: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/4748

Other then that I still need to build the pipeline for the patched glibc repository for supporting the latest Widevine CDM and I'm struggling a bit with mock/rpmbuild etc. But I'll figure that one out soon.

My biggest annoyance is that the latest kernel which has working MFC (v4l2 m2m) decoding is 5.8 (or 5.9).
LibreElec has picked up support for XU4 and they're always running the latest kernel release but also didn't have time to bisect the issue as of yet which means you can only use their distro for emulation purposes.

I really hope somebody with more experience (and time) could look into this and get upstream kernels working again when it comes to MFC for video acceleration.
odroid (Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:02 am)

hisencan
ODROIDs: XU4

Post by hisencan »

One question about a wireless USB adapter. I have a wireless dongle with a Realtek 8812au chip. When I plug it, it doesn't even power on and recognized by the OS. I tried it with dietpi image and it gets recognized and works on the xu4 without a problem. I thought it was a driver issue and tried to install a driver from this link:
https://github.com/morrownr/8812au-20210629

The driver presented here seems to be optimized for raspberry arm32 versions. I tried to install with the instructions but failed.

The dongle is not a new device and I have no idea how to install it at this point. Is there any way to install this driver?

MastaG

Post by MastaG »

Small update regarding Fedora 36 from scratch.

I've setup the pipeline for building the widevine patched glibc (finally), it runs on my Odroid XU3 :D
I'm not a big fan of rpm spec files, but I think I nailed it pretty well.
It will automatically pull the latest changes from https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/glibc/ (f36 branch).
If no changes have been pushed, then it'll do nothing.
When there have been new commits, the first thing it will do is check whether the glibc.spec file requires a release based on a git revision,
if yes then it will create a glibc-version-gitrev.tar.xz, if not then it will get the stable release instead.
Then it patches the spec file to increment the releaseversion string with 100 and adds the widevine.patch.
Finally it builds the rpm files.
The only thing left is creating a repository and push it to mdrjr's fileserver.

The GTK4 ARM bug was fixed by version 4.6.2, making all applications work again :)

I've switched to ext4 which seems to perform better compared to btrfs.

I'm now trying to get pipewire with wireplumber/pipewire-session-manager to work so I can set the default audio format of S24_LE which the DAC seems to run at.
However I keep getting segfaults probably because the 5.8.18 kernel is too old.
Some systemd services require some BPF JIT and other syscalls which are currently missing.
I'd really like to be running 5.17.x (possibly with: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... -Promising )
So please @chewitt @memeka @AreaScout (or the folks (heitbaum?) working on LibreElec, if you find some spare time to get the MFC V4L decoder working on recent kernels that would be great :)
Also see the last couple of posts here: viewtopic.php?f=184&t=41300

Finally I'll also be building a patched rpms for Gnome Shell's mutter with the dynamic tripple buffer patch, making this the smoothest desktop release ever :D
Ubuntu seems to include it already: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... 4-GNOME-TB
odroid (Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:54 am)

chewitt

Post by chewitt »

MastaG wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:19 pm
My biggest annoyance is that the latest kernel which has working MFC (v4l2 m2m) decoding is 5.8 (or 5.9). LibreElec has picked up support for XU4 and they're always running the latest kernel release but also didn't have time to bisect the issue as of yet which means you can only use their distro for emulation purposes.
LE has people with the skills to figure this out. LE also has people with interest in XU4 progress. Sadly they aren't the same person/people and since everyone on LE staff works in their own time for fun .. I can encourage but cannot make anyone work on things. Welcome to open-source development :)

Something like this (for the Exynos hardware generation after XU4) is probably needed to resolve issues with planes and formats https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/li ... msung.com/

MastaG

Post by MastaG »

Some update on F36.

Instead of having one large Chromium binary containing all ozone platforms, I've split it up into two releases, one for wayland and one for x11, making them a bit smaller.
Fedora 36 had a bit of a rough beta phase with many regressions in Gnome 42 (mutter, gnome-shell, gtk4 etc), but it's all fixed now.

Also after bumping Chromium to version 101 and enabling RAW-draw, it's the smoothest browsing experience you'll ever have on this 2GB board with a full desktop running.
The latest Widevine CDM is still kicking!
Furthermore, Chromium now runs using it's own custom libcxx runtime.

The custom repository is also working out well, it now contains widevine-patched glibc and patched versions of mutter, gnome-shell, gtk3 and gtk4.
See this copr for more information: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs ... e-patched/
The XU3 will basically check out glibc and his git repo every night and only builds when there are new commits.
Then the RPMs are signed and pushed to mdrjr's server.

Last but now least, suspend is working flawlessly.
You can just press the button to make the XU4 suspend while watching netflix and then press again to wake it up.
After waking up, it'll continue playing without regressions :)

I still have to bump some RetroArch cores, then I'll release the image :)
Last edited by MastaG on Tue May 10, 2022 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
odroid (Tue May 10, 2022 7:11 pm)

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

It's beautiful. :D
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
MastaG (Thu May 12, 2022 4:46 am)

rooted

Post by rooted »

Very nice work.
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
MastaG (Thu May 12, 2022 4:46 am)

DESE
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid C1
Has thanked: 0

Post by DESE »

I really love your work on fedora since your 34 release, I thought you will stop pushing it through more versions yet you're up to date.

Return to “Other OS”