How to get interactive initrd shell (archarm/archdroid)?

Razathorn
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: n2+
Has thanked: 0

How to get interactive initrd shell (archarm/archdroid)?

Post by Razathorn »

Apologies if this is in the wrong location, but PMs don't work for me yet as I just joined and this feels like a general thing since I've struggled with this on a few different os setups.

I've recently rolled over to archdroid (thanks jgmdev!) on my n2+ and on the latest uboot for odroid (uboot-odroid-n2plus 2015.01.189-1) I can't seem to get break=y to work in the arch initrd init script. Let me rephrase that--it works, I can type exit, and the system boots, but I can't get a console that works until the system is booted to save my life. It feels like this is either something to do with the boot logo stuff in uboot or the tobetter 5.13 kernel, because at some point the system switches over and text appears, and I can login even without a display manager (such as on a VT).

Any ideas what magic I have to do to get a text console before init has finished?

Wayne

Razathorn
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: n2+
Has thanked: 0

Re: How to get interactive initrd shell (archarm/archdroid)?

Post by Razathorn »

Okay, figures that I'd figure this out shortly after posting it, so let me note that this has not odroid specific at all, it just happens to be that the video drivers needed by the fbconsole weren't loaded until after the initrd process. Adding them to the initrd and regenerating the initrd got me exactly what I was missing. I didn't notice that the modules weren't included in the initrd--my bad.

in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

Code: Select all

MODULES=(meson_drm meson_dw_hdmi)
...reinstalled kernel to trigger initrd regen, wham, works.
These users thanked the author Razathorn for the post:
odroid (Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:35 am)

Return to “General Topics”