Regular linux games

shakaworld
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: MC1 Solo, HC1, HC2, XU4, XU4Q, N2, H2

Regular linux games

Post by shakaworld »

On ODROID-Go Advance can it play regular linux games that are not roms like on a regular pc or ODROID-Go Super can only play roms like gba or nes roms etc.?

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Re: Regular linux games

Post by mad_ady »

Yes, it can play regular linux games. You may want to try a more generic linux distro like meveric's debian.
viewtopic.php?f=193&t=37399

vyskocilm
languages_spoken: czech, english
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Super
Has thanked: 0

Post by vyskocilm »

Hello,
I have Odroid GO Super and I was able to port a few games for aarch64 on The Retro Arena OS (TheRA) which uses Ubuntu system.
I created aarch64 AppImages for: The link to the AppImages is on the github website. You just extract archive into /roms folder and that is all. For OpenXcom you still must have the original game.
Maybe I could prepare even the 32bit packages if you give me some tips which OS do you use. For play these games on raspberry or other system would probably needed to use different SDL library or remove settings SDL_VIDEODRIVER=kmsdrm.

The keyboard input (writing text) is emulated by xboxdrv driver, press RT button and by DPad Keys iterate over letters.

I tried to include all librarires into the Appimage, so theoretically it should work on the most of the aarch64 bit systems.
This TheRA OS can be downloaded from its home page https://techtoytinker.com/odroid-go-super%2Fadv
but cannot recommend the last version 5 with NTFS. From some for me unknown reason the NTFS partition cause unusual hanging and frozing of the system when I stored some executable files and bash script on NTFS partition. But the when you convert NTFS partition to EXT4 on the linux computer, everything works perfectly.
I am still using older version TheRA4 which use only one root partition with EXT4, you can download it from here: https://webshare.cz/#/file/Xcv93qF8FD/t ... ga-rc4-rar

On my device I am able to play: SuperTuxKart, Pingus, Eduke32, Prboom (with some basic shaders). But it takes a lot of time than I prepare the AppImage.

Hey people I need some motivation prepare such thing. Please try it somebody if I will get some positive feedback I will try to prepare more.
Bye and Happy new year
These users thanked the author vyskocilm for the post (total 2):
mctom (Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:50 am) • odroid (Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:51 am)

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Post by mctom »

Ahoj!
I really appreciate your effort, even though I do not own OGS.
You totally should create a new topic summarizing your work and future plans!
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

vyskocilm
languages_spoken: czech, english
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Super
Has thanked: 0

Post by vyskocilm »

Ahoj :-),
I do no have some big plans. Improve the documentation and add other games.
My motivation was try to play some true linux games on OGS handheld.
When the game was finally working, I begin to feel pity of my time. I spent a few evenings until the game was working, but finally only me could use it.
Even for me, after a few monthgs or when I would reinstall computer I would forget most of the thing which were needed. This is the reason why I made decision to spent even more time, write build scrips document and share with others.

From technical perspective OGS same as probably all ARM devices does not support Openg GL but Open GL-ES. Because of driver absence, the XServer is possible to start but without or very limited HW acceleration. (Some desktop games is possible to play e.g. Frozen Bubble). Most of native linux applicatiton use SDL2 library with `kmsdrm` video driver. Application with SDL1 (e.g. OpenXcom, Widelands) are problem, because SDL1 does not support kmsdrm video driver.
The solution for some issues offers following projects:
  • https://github.com/libsdl-org/sdl12-compat.git
    Library which can be preloaded and replaced original SDL1 api calls with SDL2. It solves even some Fullscreen issuses and correct detection of screen size.
  • https://github.com/xboxdrv/xboxdrv.git
    This is userspace driver for Xbox gamepads or emulatation of Xbox gamepad. This driver is perfect, because all configuration is only in `*.ini` file, it can emulate mouse, keyboard, even support macros or script execution based on the pressed buttons. It can send different key press based on long or short press. It is console application and it does not requires X-Server. The very interresting thing is the `cycle-key` handler which will switch the KEY_EVENT that gets send with each button press.
  • https://github.com/ptitSeb/gl4es/issues/339
    GL4ES library which translate and emulate OpenGL calls to OpenGL-ES. Affraid I was only partially successfully with use of this library. The link is to my issue with DOOM game `prboom-plus`. The important is the end of the issue where I summarize everything. Finally the old DOOM was working with Open GL-ES.
Ok, I must finish now. There is too late. I must go shopping and prepare something to the celebration of the new year.
For all, enjoy and happy new year.
These users thanked the author vyskocilm for the post:
odroid (Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:03 pm)

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

I wish I had known about it before reinventing a less efficien wheel with https://github.com/mad-ady/antimicro-nonX

Edit: actually, my implementation was for a regular keyboard, not for a controller

Return to “General Topics”