Off Topic Banter

InsideJob
languages_spoken: English, Greek, Spanish

Re: Off Topic Banter

Post by InsideJob »

mad_ady wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:28 am
If I were to reform society, I'd introduce mandatory civil education courses and tests before each election. If you fail to see the big picture, you don't get to vote. Maybe AI can develop an analogue for the Turing test that people can take to show they are working together. That way, maybe education would gain some value... The problem is - the educated ones feel unrepresented and don't go to vote...

Enough ranting from me...
I've met too many morons with master's degrees to go along with that. Here in America you can have an IQ of room temperature and still get into Harvard. Daddy just has to pay to add a new wing onto some building. But for what it's worth, I've always said the Motor Vehicles Department should administer IQ tests instead of driving tests, as 90% of accidents are caused by stupidity. ;)

L67GS
languages_spoken: English, Jibberish, Pig Latin
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

Anybody want to buy some wooden nickels?

InsideJob

Post by InsideJob »

I hear people actually collect those. Had a friend who collected flattened cents. Brought him one back I made at Meteor Crater (near Winslow, Arizona) and he seemed thrilled and immediately put it in his book.

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Post by mctom »

InsideJob wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:20 am
I bought a 1943 steel cent this week too, PCGS MS66.
Ha, and you weren't expecting some would find it just as fascinating. :)
InsideJob wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:46 am
I've met too many morons with master's degrees to go along with that.
Agreed. I used to believe in technocracy, up until the most powerful priest in Poland (currently strongly associated with the government) has built his own university and gave himself a PhD.
Higher education diplomas have become devaluated on their own. Now 42% of Poles aged 25-34 have higher education, and that's the actual policy of EU to raise this figure to 45% within the Union.
Heck, I was planning to stay at the university and pursue PhD myself, and I'm glad I didn't. I'm doing exciting and advanced stuff in a well funded environment in the industry. Those who stayed at the university spend most of their time hunting grants and emitting smug on linkedin :lol:
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted
languages_spoken: english

Post by rooted »

InsideJob wrote:
mctom wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:52 pm
Have you got any WW2 coins made from unusual materials? I've seen steel coins in a museum in Finland.
I bought a 1943 steel cent this week too, PCGS MS66.

What's interesting though are the WW2 nickels which the government made out of 35% SILVER. Nickel is more valuable than silver to the war machine.
Let me know when you find that 1943 copper penny :)

InsideJob

Post by InsideJob »

mctom wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:47 pm
Heck, I was planning to stay at the university and pursue PhD myself, and I'm glad I didn't...
I'm sure the academic world suits some people. My father had a Ph.D in economics. He was never wrong about anything. I once told him that proof coins were struck twice and he felt it necessary to correct me. When I brought him the Red Book and showed him where it said proofs were struck twice, he wouldn't acknowledged I was right, about anything, ever. In fact, I saw his students in the MBA program agree with him over and over again even when he was clearly full of sheet. So I'm extremely biased...

@rooted: I avoid the stoopid (can't even spell it) money coins. I tend to buy coins in grades right before the "big jump" in price. That steel cent is worth $200 in MS67 and $4000 in MS68. :eek:

rooted

Post by rooted »

I have a few $2 bills my son collected before he passed and a Morgan dollar my brother recently gave me, that's the extent of my "collection" :)

I used to collect baseball cards and comic books when I was a kid but grew out of it I guess, I still like classic comics though.

mctom

Post by mctom »

I received today 20-some A4 transparent sheets for collecting banknotes, as per my dad's request.
As a bonus I got him a few Tanzanian banknotes in UNC condition. Just to remind him of good days when he climbed Kilimanjaro!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mctom

Post by mctom »

I just got the third jab of Pfizer vax. Easily obtainable, as 40% of the population is still not vaccinated around here, and now it is as simple as going to the local drug store. They are trying their best to make it so easily available there is no excuse to get one.
The thing is, there is a risk I am already infected, so I may have bad time in the upcoming days. ;)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

InsideJob

Post by InsideJob »

I'm really liking living in Texas. The governor has outlawed mask mandates. I still haven't had a shot of their immunotherapy drug yet either (it's not really a vaccine in the "classic" sense, no virus parts are present). Probably would have had the leftist authorities not acted like Nazis. In New York City you literally can get anything to eat if you're unvaccinated. It's vax up or die. So now it' a matter of principal. Fook the leftist authorities and their fascist mandates.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Yes, I understand and respect your point of view. I think I read about Texas Governor's rulings in the press recently. He also outlawed sacking people for not being vaccinated?

Maintainer of PiStackMon

InsideJob

Post by InsideJob »

Yeah I think that's just government employees within the state not private companies but still better than nothing. Nobody is really enforcing the corporate rules though. Like Walmart wants everyone to wear masks but only 10% of shoppers do. I'm more worried about the nasty shopping carts and laser scanner that hasn't been cleaned in a week... I think there's a new form of life evolving on it! Yikes! :lol:

mctom

Post by mctom »

My girlfriend picked up a habit of cleaning our phones with sanitizing gel. She made her point this is something we often touch outdoors, along with all the nasty stuff in public space.
I actually like the idea of sanitizing fluid dispensers everywhere in public space. General population is gross :roll:

Well, anyway it seems that my jab wasn't 99% graphene oxide after all and I feel great this morning. Except of that sore arm, but a nanochip upgrade is an invasive process :lol:
Most importantly, I can safely invite my parents for my birthday next weekend, and see my grandpa for Christmas.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

Hey, happy birthday! It must suck to have your birthday so close to XMas... you don't know what to do with all the presents...

InsideJob

Post by InsideJob »

I don't know why they'd waste their time injecting a chip when we all voluntarily carry a spyware device around with us all day, our cell phones:
https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/pegasu ... d-to-know/

Happy Birthday from all the reptilian aliens though. :o Just kidding! :lol:
These users thanked the author InsideJob for the post:
L67GS (Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:00 am)

mctom

Post by mctom »

Thanks, the birthday is on 15th. And I picked a girlfriend with a birthday a day after mine, just for a convenience of holding one party instead of two. ;)
Surprisingly I always got (and still get!) separate gifts for birthday and christmas. My name day has always been ignored as it's on 21st.

Not to mention I spoiled the surprise this year due to some weird Thunderbird glitch. :/

I have a wishlist online. Since I suffer from bad back pains lately I went to a high end office furniture shop and selected the best swivel chair ever. I took a note of exact model and added it to my wish list. I specifically asked for this chair including the delivery to my home :D
About a week ago I got an e-mail from Jysk (a nordic chain store with crappy furniture) thanking me for an order of a chair. Including my name and address and all.
I thought, damn, someone ordered a chair for me, but not the one that I wanted! Actually, the very same that my girlfriend has! What do I do now?
I asked my GF to take a peek at my wishlist to see who reserved this gift for me (as long as I'm logged in, I can't see that myself!). Turned out it was my dad. I decided to give him a call and kindly ask to cancel that order, as I already have a Jysk chair that broke twice within first year of use.
He was confused and said that he did buy me a chair for my birthday, but certainly not from Jysk.

And then I noticed that e-mail from Jysk, in fact arrived in 2020. It was indeed a chair for my GF that I ordered exactly a year before.

I still don't know how this happened, but for any reason Thunderbird highlighted 3 consecutive, old e-mails as unread, and put them on top of the list.

Too bad, I love surprises.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

InsideJob

Post by InsideJob »

I was thinking of getting an inversion table for my back pain:
https://teeter.com/fitspine/
A little pricey but next best thing to outer space for stretching out your spine.

Oh and just to close the loop on my new laptop, which is now going to be a Christmas present to myself I guess... System76 said they refunded my card and I should see it in a few days. I've pretty much decided to get that HP I mentioned earlier from Micro Center. Main thing is it has a 330 watt power supply. From what I've read, trying to use a high-end nVidia card with a 180 watt supply like the System76 actually drains the battery, while it's plugged in. Obviously that's not going to work for a desktop replacement laptop. I plan on cryptocurrency mining with my GPU. And Micro Center has a 15 day exchange policy so if I get another dud can just swap it out, no muss, no fuss.

rooted

Post by rooted »

You must let me know how mining goes on this laptop, I've had high end laptops die from heat not even when gaming.

InsideJob

Post by InsideJob »

Did some dual CPU and GPU mining on my current HP laptop with a U-series i7 (only two cores) 1st gen skylake (new one will be last gen skylake BTW) and a GeFore 940MX. The desk it was on got so hot had to push the side with GPU vent over the edge of the table so it could suck in some cold air. Figured after electricity cost I was making about US$0.10 a day. So the hardware would have paid for itself... hmm, let me do the math real quick... in like INFINITY years. :lol:

Anywho, it's a new laptop not a refurb so get standard 1 year HP warranty too. If I cook it I get a new one free. ;)

mctom

Post by mctom »

InsideJob wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:31 pm
Figured after electricity cost I was making about US$0.10 a day. So the hardware would have paid for itself... hmm, let me do the math real quick... in like INFINITY years.
That was my reasoning behind buying N2+ instead of my old desktop. Not only did I sell that desktop to a colleague's mom, N2+ with its really low power consumption would let me save its worth within 2 years.

I think people in general are too focused on seeking gains, rather than cutting losses.
Just like ecology activists' Facebook posts. Often do they promote solar, wind or atomic energy sources, but barely ever do they discuss end user's electrical power consumption.
InsideJob wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:52 pm
I was thinking of getting an inversion table for my back pain:
https://teeter.com/fitspine/
A little pricey but next best thing to outer space for stretching out your spine.
For my tiny apartment, that would be either this, or my drum set. The answer is obvious. ;)
Since I became more mindful about my sitting habits and started working out modestly, my back feels much better already.
I got some tips from my mom, who has become a fitness/wellness instructor helself, at the age of 60 shall I add..

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mctom

Post by mctom »

Anybody did any woodwork lately? I'm considering building some extra storage for my apartment and even though I can design all that with just pen and paper, the wood prices are so absurd these days I'd rather do everything right on first try.
FreeCAD is the tool of choice, apparently, but I thought I'd ask before I invest a few days learning this thing.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

mctom wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:22 pm
Anybody did any woodwork lately? I'm considering building some extra storage for my apartment and even though I can design all that with just pen and paper, the wood prices are so absurd these days I'd rather do everything right on first try.
FreeCAD is the tool of choice, apparently, but I thought I'd ask before I invest a few days learning this thing.
FreeCad is a good tool but a bit complicated for a woodwork. I would use SketchUp for simple 3D work.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Yes, good point, I'd totally use SketchUp if it wasn't closed source. I prefer doing my projects in open source software just because I archive all this stuff and don't want to end up with something I cannot access in the future (like my old circuits in PADS, or simulations in Multisim).
It was really cool to open my chip design I made in MAGIC VLSI 10 years ago, before I switched to Linux full time. :)

I think I may have a hidden agenda here. Learning FreeCAD may be really useful throughout my life and this may be a cool project to get started.
I'm also that kind of person that writes shopping lists in vim :lol:
Nevertheless I was hoping someone would suggest a tool that has a usefulness / frustration ratio at a similar level.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

May take a few more days than you think to learn FreeCAD but it is powerful, I spent a few days with it and having using other packages such as SOLIDWORKS and MoI (which I love) I found FC very unintuitive.

Honestly I would spend my time learning OpenSCAD instead, but I already use blender for years which may skew my view. I have a great interactive package to use and would love the direct entry approach of the code based OpenSCAD.
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
mctom (Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:56 am)

mctom

Post by mctom »

"Unintuitive" is a broad term that may as well mean it's simply different than what we're used to, but nevertheless I do agree. I opened up a demo design in FreeCAD yesterday and I had no idea how do I do anything with this, move it around or whatever. At some point I discovered a menu with some 8 "navigation styles" to choose from, including Blender, Inventor and so on.
Still haven't found a way to rotate the view, lol.
So I guess I know I'm going to invest some time in any CAD software, no matter what I choose.

I'll look at OpenSCAD, thanks for the hint. I take it's more text-oriented, which is always a plus.

EDIT: I took a peek at the OpenSCAD tutorial and I think this is it.

My first draft of what I'm after is already complete on a paper, and I used four parameters to define sizes of everything (three dimensions of a unit shelf and material thickness). Then I used spreadsheet to calculate sizes of each plywood board.
Then I scrapped the design, as 108kg of plywood is out of question for my budget.

With OpenSCAD, my workflow would effectively stay the same, and I would be more confident everything fits as it should.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

joerg
languages_spoken: german, english, español
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, N1, N2, C4

Post by joerg »

Funny, it's exactly what I am doing these days. :o
Planned a furniture with FreeCad. I had some hard days to learn some basics. Can't figure out how to make the surface look wooden.
Bildschirmfoto vom 2021-12-14 18-36-55.png
Bildschirmfoto vom 2021-12-14 18-36-55.png (138.06 KiB) Viewed 536 times
Doing the woodwork.
IMG_20211214_183604.jpg
IMG_20211214_183604.jpg (293.15 KiB) Viewed 536 times
Today I started with the work. For a plate of oak with 2000 x 625 x 28 I paid 113EUR. I need at least three. Then I have planned some stainless steel applications that I have to produce by myself. I can't find a online shop that produces for me some plates of 58 x 58 x 6. So I bought a bigger plate I have to cut, to rasp and to sand.
These users thanked the author joerg for the post:
mctom (Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:39 am)

mctom

Post by mctom »

Yiss, if I had a shop like that I'd be a carpenter by now. Instead I had to buy a complete tool set for my friend's birthday, so I can visit sometimes and build some stuff together :D
Or, in case of their house, rebuild stuff..

This is why I'm trying to design a furniture that may be pre-cut at the store (rectangles only, they won't handle anything more sophisticated), and assemble it IKEA style. I'll just have to drill holes and mill grooves in drawers, and give it all a paint job.
And I have the blessing of my girl to do all that, AND she will help!

Anyway, I did the first tutorial of OpenSCAD and it bored me to death, so I just skimmed through the rest and bookmarked a cheat sheet.
This software is perfect. Very simple and elegant. I'm pretty sure it won't support textures, but I don't care. ;)

The libraries are quite poor from what I've seen, and I don't think there are any plugins. But should be fine for this project. I can model screws as grey cylinders, really.

Thanks again @rooted for pointing this out. There isn't much to learn, you need maybe 1 hour to familiarize with a syntax and get started.
2021-12-14-205915_1071x1407_scrot.png
2021-12-14-205915_1071x1407_scrot.png (203.17 KiB) Viewed 528 times

@joerg, about the stainless steel cuts, I'm really surprised you haven't tried Poland. :D
I ordered only one laser cut in aluminum so far and I won't recommend you that company. The piece was badly scratched and dirty, and they didn't make one hole.

Here's some company that looks respectable:
https://eblaszki-pl.translate.goog/wyce ... x_tr_hl=pl
6mm laser-cut stainless steel, in 58x58mm sheets costs some €2.5 per item.
I really don't want anybody to cut 6mm steel by hand in 21st century. :D
These users thanked the author mctom for the post:
joerg (Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:59 am)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

You're welcome, I'm not sure what libraries are available but I've seen some truly detailed models come out of OpenSCAD.

It's parametric by nature which makes it very good at tweaking designs as you go.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Right. I looked through the official libraries only, and they don't look like much, but there might be a lot of third party content available.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

You can easily create screws in OpenSCAD, I can't remember how but I know it's there.

*Edit*
It's in the MCAD library which is included.

https://github.com/openscad/MCAD/blob/master/screw.scad

mctom

Post by mctom »

rooted wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:44 am
You can easily create screws in OpenSCAD, I can't remember how but I know it's there.

*Edit*
It's in the MCAD library which is included.

https://github.com/openscad/MCAD/blob/master/screw.scad
Nothing is included with fresh installations. The tutorial recommends these official libraries, but encourages not to be limited with just them :roll:

When I saw "screw" library, I was hoping the same.
This library can generate an auger similar to those found on wood screws, but not a complete screw with a head and so on.
Its internal tests also generate two helices, but they do not resemble a screw at all.
The last test is not implemented.

nuts_and_bolts.scad cannot run its own test (not implemented), and the two defined objects, boltHole and nutHole, are "meh" if you ask me. Unless I'm doing something wrong, but their code suggest this is the actual intended output.
2021-12-14-222922_447x287_scrot.png
2021-12-14-222922_447x287_scrot.png (26.51 KiB) Viewed 523 times
I get it, it's a free software that perhaps doesn't get as much attention as others.
Here is something that appears to do a more decent job for a bolt thread. :)

It still doesn't change my mind about OpenSCAD. It's brilliant!
And I intend to go down to the level of every single dowel eventually, to make sure my drilling is correct.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

Yeah it must have been a different package I was doing screws in because it was actual screws such as drywall and wood and they were fully parametric.

I've used most of them and settled on MoI which is Windows only but runs in Wine beautifully and blender, MoI isn't free or open source but it's inexpensive and super intuitive and I've been using blender for around 20 years off and on so it's ingrained regardless of difficulty.

InsideJob

Post by InsideJob »

Woohoo! I paid my property taxes today. Came out to ~$5000 :eek: State taxes might be cheap but man the local taxes in Texas will kill ya! :mad: I guess most ends up going to the local "independent school district" (elementary and high school) and the local community college but you know, I don't have kids and don't plan on going to their community college so really doesn't do anything for me. Anywho, thought I'd share my exciting news! :lol: I guess the laptop can wait a while.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

That sounds steep. Is that a one time payment following a property purchase, or is it an annual property tax?

Regarding paying for public services that you don't use - I'm all for it. In your case, you won't be using the school, but on the other hand you wouldn't want to live in a community without schools -- either it will be old folks, or a poor neighborhood. Same goes for hospitals.
If you don't believe me, try playing Sim City without schools/hospitals

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

This is an interesting video for @odroid and the Hardkernel community - about what customers expect from a product and how to improve the experience overall:
https://youtu.be/aXlcNVKK-7Q

Jeff is a tinkerer (mainly in the Pi world), but also famous in the ansible community. I think his point of view is valid, as an outsider - something we, insiders find hard to notice :)

mctom

Post by mctom »

Meh...

That is true Raspberry Pi is the easiest to use for those who are just interested in following tutorials and deploying ready-made solutions, the things that "just work", and are okay with overlords saying what can be done and what cannot.

If you think about it, RasPi is pretty much like Apple - you are expected to use your Pi with RasPi charger, RasPi OS, RasPi accessories, and if you ask their community for help with anything non standard, they'll fob you off with "cannot be done", "get a new Pi", "why won't you just...".
My opinion is biased, because all my questions on RasPi forums ended up in explaining that my PSU is good, my SD card is good, and I'm not going to use their 32-bit OS. And no answers beyond that. ;)

So, I generally disagree with that guy's diagnosis. I think the problem is that people with no technical background are constantly being told they will handle building hardware or hacking software. And then get really surprised it's not easy and needs some actual effort.
That's a success of RasPi in a nutshell - a promise that everyone who gets their product will build robots and stuff. Then they accidentally short Pin 1 and 2, and have to get another one.

Their website used to show some 10-12 year old kids playing with RasPis, but in reality, is that even remotely possible without any mentor? Would that be any different for any other SBC with mature software?

I give them one thing, their crappy OS is always ready to support new RasPis right at the release date.

BTW, new record, a few days ago I sold 1GB RasPi 4B for 120% of retail price.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

It has been brought to my attention that I missed my 10k post mark. :(

I'll have to add 9993 new posts, so that I get the chance to brag :D
Hmm, I wonder if I delete my posts, would that bring the odometer back down? :evil:
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
odroid (Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:33 am)

rooted

Post by rooted »

mad_ady wrote:It has been brought to my attention that I missed my 10k post mark. :(

I'll have to add 9993 new posts, so that I get the chance to brag :D
Hmm, I wonder if I delete my posts, would that bring the odometer back down? :evil:
Yeah you have to appreciate how many posts Odroid has, takes a lot of clacking of keys to get over 10K and he has almost 39K

mctom

Post by mctom »

Let me reiterate how awesome OpenSCAD is.
This is just 410 lines of script! This not a complete design by any means, but still gives a good idea about where I'm heading.
At least I know this is gonna cost both my kidneys, not just one :lol:
2021-12-16-233454_1047x960_scrot.png
2021-12-16-233454_1047x960_scrot.png (233.22 KiB) Viewed 447 times

Maintainer of PiStackMon

joerg
languages_spoken: german, english, español
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, N1, N2, C4

Post by joerg »

Looks nice. Next project I will give it a try. :)
For now I am fine with my project with FreeCad. BTW I made the stainless steel plates today. It was work, but I like this kind of work. I cut the plates about 60 x 60 with a angle grinder and grinded them down to 58.1 x 58.1 with a bench grinder. The rest I made with a file 1 and 3 and then sanded them. If the project goes well and passes the personal review of my wife I will make another furniture the same style. Then I will need more stainless steel plates and I will order them from the polish store.
IMG_20211217_180207.jpg
IMG_20211217_180207.jpg (293.9 KiB) Viewed 439 times
IMG_20211217_180357.jpg
IMG_20211217_180357.jpg (435.74 KiB) Viewed 439 times
These users thanked the author joerg for the post:
L67GS (Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:05 am)

mctom

Post by mctom »

Looks very classy with these steel plates in place. I'm always envious for those who can make stuff both practical and beautiful.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you ever need assistance with that polish shop, they do not seem to be prepared for foreign customers.
These users thanked the author mctom for the post:
joerg (Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:20 am)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

How nice would a waterjet or 3 axis plasma cutter have been for that @joerg :)

Or perhaps a lightly modified Ender 3 printer

https://youtu.be/z57lGSn0yXM

The end result looks nice regardless of how you got there.

It's looking good @mctom, will be interesting to see the final model and finished product.

L67GS
languages_spoken: English, Jibberish, Pig Latin
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

The forum going down for maintenance for the better part of a week was the crappiest Christmas present.

rooted

Post by rooted »

L67GS wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:25 pm
The forum going down for maintenance for the better part of a week was the crappiest Christmas present.
Agreed, you don't realize how much time you spend somewhere until you can't go there.

Sidenote, I can't login with Tapatalk which is just awful as it's how I keep track of everything here.
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
L67GS (Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:47 am)

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

I had to switch my forum addiction to something else, so I picked up Andy Weir's "Hail Mary Project", which is quite addictive!

I wonder, which Hardkernel employee had to do forum maintenance/upgrade over the holydas? And was he paid overtime? Image
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post (total 2):
L67GS (Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:47 am) • odroid (Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:44 am)

rooted

Post by rooted »

I believe overtime pay is mandatory in SK just like the US and other countries, so maybe :)

InsideJob

Post by InsideJob »

I've got worse addictions than this forum, some of which cost a lot of money. No, not Peruvian pink. US silver.. its 2 AM and I'm $160 poorer. :lol:

ImageImage

Interesting thing here is the government changed the weight of silver coins in 1853. Suddenly everyone's pocket change became worth more than face value. Can you imagine that happening today? Yeah, me neither, but anywho. As you can imagine, everyone sold their change for scrap silver. That's why mintages for US silver coins made before that date don't really mean much, they're all relatively rare coins. This one is actually fairly common but the arrows and rays only appeared one year making it highly sought after by "type collectors".

mctom

Post by mctom »

Don't you hate when it's only 5 days after Christmas Eve and one batch of pierogis has already gone bad?? WTF?

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

@mctom If you haven't finished all the XMas goodies yet, you're doing XMas wrong
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
L67GS (Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:36 am)

mctom

Post by mctom »

I'm very picky about traditional Christmas food. No meat is served, I don't like fish, soups are meh, so for a takeout I'm always stuck with potatoes and cabbage pierogi.
I don't like raisins or poppy in cakes, so I only opt for carrot cake and cheesecake (a special one without raisins, just for me).
Of course I devoured all the cake already..

But my girlfriend is coming back tomorrow from her family, so I had to stock up on food until then :D

Maintainer of PiStackMon

Return to “General Topics”