SmartPower3 -- suggestions

magnum_pi
languages_spoken: English, Japanese, French, Irish
ODROIDs: U2, X2, XU, U3

SmartPower3 -- suggestions

Post by magnum_pi »

Hello,

First off, I think that the sp3 is a great piece of kit. I'd like to make a couple of suggestions for how it could be better, though. Both are to do with the supplied cables.

#1 Could we have the option of buying slightly longer cables?

Unless you have a shelf on your workspace where you can arrange the SP3 above and the things you want to power with it below, the best way to lay things out is with the SP3 in the middle, and the things being driven place to either side. Unfortunately, due to the layout of the input power supply port and USB data port (which stick out on either side), it can be quite awkward to position everything the way you want it. It really depends on the location of the power input on the boxes you want to power/monitor (whether they're on the left/right or front/back), and where you

I think that the supplied cables are 40cm long. If they were twice that length (or you had an option to buy these longer cables in the shop), I think that that would be sufficient for any layout.

#2 Could we have an option of buying cables with banana plugs, or simply the banana plugs themselves?

I don't know if all banana plugs are the same, but the ones I have in my bits box have a plastic sheath that can be unscrewed to reveal a screw post that can be used to keep a bare wire securely in place without needing solder.

Since the sp3 has the matching sockets for these, it would be nice if Hardkernel could offer similar banana plugs.

The only downside to using banana plugs (as opposed to using the bare-wire screw posts) is that you can only have one thing plugged in at a time, but for many applications, I think that's fine. Plus there are some advantages:
  • is at least as secure as using the bare-wire binding post
  • can be quickly changed in and out
  • it looks way more professional
So, what do people think? Would these be worth having with the sp3?

Thanks for reading!
These users thanked the author magnum_pi for the post:
odroid (Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:24 am)

lsc1117
languages_spoken: english

Re: SmartPower3 -- suggestions

Post by lsc1117 »

Hello,

#2 I'm using what I made with 3D printed items instead of a product sold on markets because I can't find any banana jacks that fit SP3.
Image from iOS (5).jpg
Image from iOS (5).jpg (149 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Image from iOS (4).jpg
Image from iOS (4).jpg (151.73 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Image from iOS (3).jpg
Image from iOS (3).jpg (162.84 KiB) Viewed 63 times

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Re: SmartPower3 -- suggestions

Post by mctom »

Banana plugs are pretty much standard in similar tools and I don't think it's hard to find them on the market. Just be mindful the marked is flooded with all sorts of bananas, and you want those with 4mm diameter. I have no idea why other sizes are even made.

Banana plugs are always separate - there is no standard for banana socket spacing as far as I know.
lsc1117 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:55 pm
#2 I'm using what I made with 3D printed items instead of a product sold on markets because I can't find any banana jacks that fit SP3.
If I'm not mistaken, this cool 3d-printed bracket is used for RasPi on SP3 Wiki. I was wondering where'd you get that. :)
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

Return to “Smart Power”