languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Re: Odroid-Go v2

Post by crashoverride »

sydarn2 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:28 am
PCSX_rearmed
That is actually what I had in mind as I wrote the post. I do not think the dynarec would be the bottleneck. The render path is NEON (SIMD) optimized on armv7[1]. Without a GPU, SIMD, or another core, I don't see PSX being playable. This would make a dynarec moot.

[1] https://github.com/notaz/pcsx_rearmed/t ... on/psx_gpu

sydarn2
ODROIDs: Odroid-GO

Post by sydarn2 »

crashoverride wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:41 am
sydarn2 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:28 am
PCSX_rearmed
That is actually what I had in mind as I wrote the post. I do not think the dynarec would be the bottleneck. The render path is NEON (SIMD) optimized on armv7[1]. Without a GPU, SIMD, or another core, I don't see PSX being playable. This would make a dynarec moot.

[1] https://github.com/notaz/pcsx_rearmed/t ... on/psx_gpu
I am just saying that is one pro if choosing an armv7+neon SoC. You do get psx.

I am not sure how they did it for MIPS, I don't think they used any SIMD instructions for the psx_gpu, see here https://github.com/senquack/pcsx4all/tree/master/src, but only a dynarec. And it does run fairly well on 1Ghz Ingenic jz4770.

sydarn2

Post by sydarn2 »

SoCs/SiPs with integrated RAM that I know of:

Sigmastar, many options
Ingenic X2000 (128MB)
Ingenic X1000 series (Multiple options)
Ingenic T31 (64MB/128MB)
Allwinner V3s (64MB)
Allwinner F133 (64MB)
Allwinner, several SocS based on ARM926EJ-S (ARMv5TE) (32MB and 64MB)
Microchip SAMA5D2 (Multiple options, there website seems to have problem at moment so could check which options there are)
Rockchip RV1108G (128MB)
Rockchip RK3308G (64MB)

I will update this list if I think of more relevant, less than 32MB of RAM is assumed irrelevant.
Last edited by sydarn2 on Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

sydarn2

Post by sydarn2 »

crashoverride wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:45 pm
There are no vector extensions (SIMD) for RISCV and no GPU on the SoC, so there are no optimizations to consider.
I don't think we can say for sure if the D1s has vector instructions or not. The datasheet for D1 specifies XuanTie C906 RISC-V CPU, which can be configured with vector extensions [1]. The explanations for the extensions are here [2].
Sunxi specifies the following extensions RV64IMAFDCVU for D1s [3] but it is unclear what the source for that is.

It is indeed an interesting SoC and hopefully it reuses peripherals from Allwinners other chips, so that it can sooner benefit from mainline linux.

Btw, there does exist one dynarec for RISC-V RV64IM, for 32X in picodrive [4]

[1] https://occ.t-head.cn/vendor/cpu/index? ... 5983423488
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC-V#IS ... extensions
[3] https://linux-sunxi.org/D1s
[4] https://github.com/irixxxx/picodrive

sydarn2

Post by sydarn2 »

Actually, the user manual [1] of D1s/F133 does specify the instruction set architecture. It is 64GCV, where G is a grouping for standard instructions meaning following extensions "IMAFDZicsr Zifencei", and V is for vector execution unit.

And btw, I remembered there is a dynarec for psx called lightrec [2], that uses GNU lightning for code emitter, which means it in theory does support Risc-V. Although I am not aware of it ever being tested. There is also PCSX4ALL Fork [3] that uses this dynarec as well.

[1] page 45: https://whycan.com/files/members/5266/F ... l_V1.0.pdf
[2] https://github.com/pcercuei/lightrec
[3] https://github.com/pcercuei/pcsx4all

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

sydarn2 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:04 am
And it does run fairly well on 1Ghz Ingenic jz4770.
For completeness, I should note that JZ4770 does have a GPU (Vivante).
sydarn2 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:16 pm
Actually, the user manual [1] of D1s/F133 does specify the instruction set architecture. It is 64GCV, where G is a grouping for standard instructions meaning following extensions "IMAFDZicsr Zifencei", and V is for vector execution unit.
Hopefully, boards using it will be available so that real-world testing and evaluation can be done. There were other Allwinner chips that looked promising on paper in the past.

sydarn2

Post by sydarn2 »

crashoverride wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:25 am
sydarn2 wrote:
And it does run fairly well on 1Ghz Ingenic jz4770.
For completeness, I should note that JZ4770 does have a GPU (Vivante).
Yeah, but it doesn't use the GPU. (It also runs on the jz4760b) In fact I have been told that using GPU for psx doesn't gain you any speed, but only more features. I actually think the PCSX4ALL fork with lightrec could be interesting to test. It is not as efficient as a native dynarec, but I think at least many games could be playable. I heard some games with lightrec on the jz4770 runs full speed (the native dynarec runs most full speed).

Anyway, I think the D1s software platform could be inspired by opendingux, which runs on Linux on really low resource platforms. For example the the rs90 flavour which runs on only 32MB of ram, and uses musl. If sdl1.2 is used most emulators from opendingux could be reused, except basically regba, which relies on the mips native dynarec.
crashoverride wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:25 am
sydarn2 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:16 pm
Hopefully, boards using it will be available so that real-world testing and evaluation can be done. There were other Allwinner chips that looked promising on paper in the past.
MangoPI are going to start mass production in November and it will be available on TaoBao and Seeed. Apparently software will be Allwinners Tina (based on OpenWRT). You can read about it in this thread [1].

[1] https://twitter.com/mangopi_sbc/status/ ... 7558627335

lordhardware
ODROIDs: U3
Odroid-W

Post by lordhardware »

sydarn2 wrote:
In all honesty, psx is not a win for a Odroid Go 2.
Even at its most simple, you now need at least 6 more input buttons for the majority of games.

I’d rather not have more than a two button console anyway, it’s kind of the charm of the Odroid Go.

But if you we’re going to change it, have a single extra button which gives access to most of the MegaDrive and arcade libraries, and a little more power which would make the current compatible systems work better.

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

sydarn2 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:58 am
Apparently software will be Allwinners Tina (based on OpenWRT).
This is what concerns me:
https://github.com/orgs/tinalinux/repositories

All of the Tina Linux repos were last updated in 2017 with linux 3.10 being the most recent kernel.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

Allwinner D1/D1s/F133 specific Tina Linux BSP supports Kernel 5.4.61 at least. That BSP can be downloadable from a Chinese Baidu server probably.
Screenshot from 2021-11-08 11-48-28.png
Screenshot from 2021-11-08 11-48-28.png (726.28 KiB) Viewed 506 times
But, there seems not to be any mainlining activities.

BTW, I found the screenshot from this Hackaday blog.
https://hackaday.io/project/182389-the- ... ter-by-now
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
sydarn2 (Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:15 pm)

sydarn2

Post by sydarn2 »

lordhardware wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:58 am
sydarn2 wrote:
Even at its most simple, you now need at least 6 more input buttons for the majority of games.

I’d rather not have more than a two button console anyway, it’s kind of the charm of the Odroid Go.

But if you we’re going to change it, have a single extra button which gives access to most of the MegaDrive and arcade libraries, and a little more power which would make the current compatible systems work better.
I wouldn't mind a new Go with the esp32-s3. But if we are going the route with 1Ghz CPU and linux, the firmware will be totally different and it will have enough power to emulate SNES. So it would make sense to make a SNES compatible control scheme.

I think with the ESP32 modules you pay a lot for the fact that they are Wifi certified which isn't strictly necessary for an emulation handheld. If you can find a regular application SoC (armv7/v8, RISC-V, mips32) with integrated RAM that costs about the same but with 1GHz cpu, it would make sense to consider it. You can always expose a USB-A host port for Wifi upgrade path.

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

sydarn2 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:24 pm
You can always expose a USB-A host port for Wifi upgrade path.
Looking at the D1s block diagram, it has 2 USB roots. USB-OTG and USB-HOST. I think the USB-HOST should be dedicated to a WiFi/BT module like the ODROID Wifi 5B (RTL8821CU) and the OTG port exposed for general use. The OTG port would allow customers to attach regular USB devices or function as a mass storage device for loading applications, ROMs, etc.

I would also like to see the IR RX/TX implemented. This would make remote control of consumer electronic devices possible. It should also enable "learning remote" functionality.

There also needs to be a way to expose the SDIO, SPI, I2C, UART, PWM, I2S, and GPIO as an "expansion" connector. What form this connector should take is still up for debate. The original ODROID-GO was always about more than playing games to me. It was more like an electronic version of a Swiss Army Knife: multiple functions in minimal space, portable, and versatile.

sydarn2

Post by sydarn2 »

crashoverride wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:46 am
The original ODROID-GO was always about more than playing games to me. It was more like an electronic version of a Swiss Army Knife: multiple functions in minimal space, portable, and versatile.
Sure, you should make it a tinkerer device. But also make it an out-of-box decent emulation device, I think that will help with sales. But yeah, you have to find a niche not yet exploited by others. I think RISC-V would help, people like new stuff, and it would be the first RISC-V (gaming) handheld, which would appeal to some.

I don't know if a form factor is set yet, but I guess it would make sense to make a small device since HK already offer a medium and large size handheld. And the Go form factor was really nice because it is so slim (and small). It would make it very suitable as mp3player for example. And built in IR sounds like a really cool idea!.

I personally think that it should remain small and cheap. For me a 320x240 display is still enough (IPS would be nice though), and if consider going to another screen please still remain by 4:3 format, people will not like it if there is 3:2 or 16:9 display when it can only emulate systems that are 4:3. But also try to fit in 4 real face buttons, snes is immensely popular by retro gamers. I have though about it, and you could have two pair of rockers high up on each side, so you can reach them with you index fingers. They could work as both R1/2 and L1/2 as emulation device, and as volume rocker and track skipper in mp3 mode.

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

sydarn2 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:44 am
For me a 320x240 display is still enough
The display resolution will be a constraint. The larger the display resolution, the more memory is required for frame buffers. In the ODROID-GO, this was mitigated in that 8bit buffers were color converted and scaled "in place" during rasterization to the LCD. This can not (typically) be done on a device with a real display controller. Instead, a minimum of double buffering of the actual frame contents is required.

320 x 240 x 2 (16bit) x 2 (buffer count) = 307200 bytes = 0.3MB
480 x 320 x 2 (16bit) x 2 = 614400 bytes = 0.6MB
480 x 320 x 4 (32bit) x 2 = 1228800 byte = 1.2MB

Since most 480x320 LCD panels are actually 16bit internally, the 16bit frame buffer makes the most sense. The 32bit is required for alpha compositing (overlays) and would be used internally by applications/emulators.

The maximum sound buffer memory would be:
48000 (samples) x 2 (channels) x 2 (16bit) = 384000 bytes / second
384000 bytes / 60 (fps) = 6400 bytes / frame
6400 x 2 (buffers) = 12800 bytes

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

Some possibly relevant info:
https://www.robertlipe.com/allwinner_d1s_f133/
Unfortunately for many developers, D1 supported only 0.7.1 of Vector, which has source and binary incompatibilities with the final 1.0 version of that extension which is currently (October 2021) in final stages of public review. This part also really requires Allwinner’s own use of GCC/Binutils to use these extensions well. Interestingly, the RISC-V part of this SoC comes from Alibaba’s XuanTie C906 line, which was itself recently open-sourced, though there have been serious issues trying to land Alibaba’s incompatible work in upstream projects like GCC and QEMU.
These users thanked the author crashoverride for the post:
odroid (Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:46 pm)

sydarn2

Post by sydarn2 »

crashoverride wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:38 pm
Some possibly relevant info:
https://www.robertlipe.com/allwinner_d1s_f133/
Unfortunately for many developers, D1 supported only 0.7.1 of Vector, which has source and binary incompatibilities with the final 1.0 version of that extension which is currently (October 2021) in final stages of public review. This part also really requires Allwinner’s own use of GCC/Binutils to use these extensions well. Interestingly, the RISC-V part of this SoC comes from Alibaba’s XuanTie C906 line, which was itself recently open-sourced, though there have been serious issues trying to land Alibaba’s incompatible work in upstream projects like GCC and QEMU.
Sad, I have also tried to research Allwinners G2D, which provides hardware scaling which is very relevant for emulation, while it is present in A10 and A20 which are very old it still seems it haven't been up-streamed to Linux mainline.
Honestly Rockchip seems like a better choice in general, since they provide good support out of the box and their RGA (which provides hardware scaling) is in mainline Linux. RV1108G does have RGA according to the datasheet, but I don't know how much it costs. Maybe it is too expensive.

sydarn2

Post by sydarn2 »

I just took a deep dive into DGP/fifteenhex's work on linux mainline for Sigmastar SoCs. Appearantly he already has drm driver that works for SSD202D, and maybe more SoCs, would have to ask him. So it seems support is pretty far, sound is still missing though.

EDIT: Here is the product brief for SSD202D: https://linux-chenxing.org/infinity2/SS ... _S_v01.pdf

lordhardware
ODROIDs: U3
Odroid-W

Post by lordhardware »

sydarn2 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:24 pm
lordhardware wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:58 am
sydarn2 wrote:

I wouldn't mind a new Go with the esp32-s3. But if we are going the route with 1Ghz CPU and linux, the firmware will be totally different and it will have enough power to emulate SNES. So it would make sense to make a SNES compatible control scheme.

I think with the ESP32 modules you pay a lot for the fact that they are Wifi certified which isn't strictly necessary for an emulation handheld. If you can find a regular application SoC (armv7/v8, RISC-V, mips32) with integrated RAM that costs about the same but with 1GHz cpu, it would make sense to consider it. You can always expose a USB-A host port for Wifi upgrade path.
Bluetooth and wifi is what set this apart.
If you just want good quality handheld emulation in a tinker-friendly device buy a Retroid Pocket 2+ it does perfect PSX and N64 and up to light GameCube in a pocketable form factor for less than $100US.

But that’s not what the Go is.
Last edited by lordhardware on Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sydarn2

Post by sydarn2 »

Fwiw the ESP32-S3 devkit N8R8 is now available on mouser:
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Esp ... GQrdg3E%3D

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

sydarn2 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:59 am
Appearantly he already has drm driver that works for SSD202D
"Portable game console runs RetroArch on SigmaStar SSD202D processor"
https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/12/03 ... processor/

sydarn2

Post by sydarn2 »

crashoverride wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:38 am
sydarn2 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:59 am
Appearantly he already has drm driver that works for SSD202D
"Portable game console runs RetroArch on SigmaStar SSD202D processor"
https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/12/03 ... processor/
It has made a full circle now :D

I told dgp/fifteenhex about the MIyoo Mini here: https://github.com/linux-chenxing/linux ... ussions/41

Then dgp/fifteenhex posted it on twitter, which Jean-Luc saw. And then Jean-Luc wrote the article :p

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

Another suggestion would be to do a FPGA based device. I think it would have huge educational value but an insanely high barrier to entry.
https://hackaday.com/2019/11/04/giganti ... iren-song/

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

The advantage of fpga would be upgradable hardware... Out of curiosity - how much does a fpga cost these days?

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

The best I could make out the part number in the picture is:
LFE5U-45F-8BG381C

It costs $25.35 USD (QTY 1) from Mouser at the time of this post.

They have 0 in stock and a lead time of 27 weeks. :lol:
These users thanked the author crashoverride for the post:
odroid (Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:25 pm)

Return to “General Topics”