New HC4 does not detect any drives in second bay

nanovad
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-HC4

New HC4 does not detect any drives in second bay

Post by nanovad »

Hi everyone,
I recently received my HC4 and I was very excited to get Armbian / OMV up and running on it. I cleared the SPI to boot straight to SD, got my OS configured, and realized that only one drive was showing up in OMV.
I am attempting to use 2x brand new WD Red Plus 6TB (WD60EZFX). I've read through some other forum posts (notably, this screenshot looks eerily similar to mine...), but nothing seems to exactly match my issue.

The second bay (furthest from the power jack) in my HC4 will not detect either of my drives. I tried swapping the drives, but the OS will still not detect it. I've tried a handful of different OS images - I started off with Armbian Focal, but I've also tried the official Ubuntu images, Armbian Hirsute, Armbian Focal trunk, and other kernel images on the original Focal install, but the issue remains. Booting with one drive out, and a drive in the "bad" bay, dmesg gives a hint:

Code: Select all

[    5.267950] ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m512@0xfc700000 port 0xfc700100 irq 63
[    5.273809] ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m512@0xfc700000 port 0xfc700180 irq 63
[    5.596339] ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
[    5.908303] ata2: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
If I had a drive in the "good" bay, ata2 would show "link up", but ata1 would still show "link down". I can provide a dmesg with 2 drives if needed.

lspci output:

Code: Select all

# lspci
00:00.0 PCI bridge: Synopsys, Inc. DWC_usb3 (rev 01)
01:00.0 IDE interface: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1061 SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
(so the controller is detected at least - that's good)

I've also attached a full dmesg. Currently running Armbian 21.08 buster legacy 4.9.275.
Attaching either drive to the bay nearest to the power jack causes them to be recognized properly, but nothing ever appears if attached to the other bay.

Fingers crossed it's just a driver issue, not a bad board or disk firmware incompatibility.
Thanks in advance!
Attachments
dmesg.txt
dmesg log with one drive in the "bad" bay. System was:
image; Armbian_21.08.1_Odroidhc4_buster_legacy_4.9.275
kernel; Linux odroid-buster64 4.9.241-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 25 17:57:15 CET 2021 aarch64 GNU/Linux
(53.55 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: New HC4 does not detect any drives in second bay

Post by odroid »

Do you use our official 15V/4A PSU?

nanovad

Post by nanovad »

I'm not using the official 15V/4A PSU, no. I am using a power supply with the proper 15V 4A specs though.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

If you have a DMM, please measure voltage of 12Volt power rail near the SATA power path. It must be very stable at 12Volt.
Refer this HC4 full schematics. https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-hc4/hardware/hardware

If your PSU is reliable, I think one of the SATA bays might have a hardware problem even we've fully tested in our production process.
If you can't check the SATA power source stability, please contact "odroid at hardkernel dot com" with a URL of this thread.
They will help your RMA process if you purchased the board from our web-store directly.
Otherwise, contact your local distributor/reseller. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
nanovad (Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:11 am)

nanovad

Post by nanovad »

Thanks for the suggestions. I metered the 12v pins on the working SATA port first.
On the working SATA port, without a drive connected, the 12v pin voltage appeared to be falling slowly (down past 5v when I metered it), but was a steady 12.52v when an HDD was connected and working.
On the non-working SATA port the 12v pin voltage was a constant 12.8v without a drive connected but fell to 4.59v when the drive was connected.

I bought this from an Amazon seller so I'll be contacting them for an item exchange. Thanks again for the help!
These users thanked the author nanovad for the post:
odroid (Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:53 am)

nanovad

Post by nanovad »

I received my replacement board yesterday and set about reconfiguring it with an Armbian buster image. Both drives spun up and appear to be detected properly! After installing OMV I built a successful RAID array, fs, etc.
Seems to be working great so far!
These users thanked the author nanovad for the post:
igorpec (Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:10 am)

Return to “Issues”