Uncertain if H2+ is a good fit.

L67GS
languages_spoken: English, Jibberish, Pig Latin
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Uncertain if H2+ is a good fit.

Post by L67GS »

The next version of my Candice project is in the (loose) planning stages. Naturally it's a carputer with my pseudo AI so I want Linux. But, I have PCM tuning software that runs on windoze as early as XP. My initial thought is if I run an H2+ I should be able to dual boot, have audio output covered, and have audio input covered if I do an FM receiver.
H2+ would mean a usb io board, or I'd have my own microcontroller communicating, and I'm also curious if I can do 2 of the 3 audio outputs to get 4 channels (I2C, HDMI, audio jack) but either way I can split the audio up anyway I want after it leaves with my own op amps so it's not a big deal.
H2+ runs on 14v up so I have a hurdle there since I'll be a little low on voltage but I believe I can work through that.
Is there anything else I didn't forsee?

I have LOTS of time to figure this out, Candice is still a work in progress so spitballs are totally welcome.

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Re: Uncertain if H2+ is a good fit.

Post by mctom »

So, have you tried running your tuning software in Wine, or some sort of virtual box? Perhaps that's a better way than dual booting, unless it's not used too frequently.

For I/O I used to have a reasonably stable result with Microchip's MCP2221, a USB chip with I2C, bare UART and 4 GPIO pins. I have no idea how it works with Linux though, that was a Windows / LabVIEW job.

I heard HDMI actually offers 6 or 7 audio output channels (For home cinema and such), and there are HDMI audio splitters / extractors on the market. I think that would be more elegant to use all audio outputs from one device, and probably easier to handle on ALSA level. Synchronizing multiple audio adapters is always a burden, as they have internal clocks that go out of sync.

H2+ indeed has 14V specified as a minimum input voltage, but I am that kind of person that runs Raspberry Pi off 3.6V and never had any issues with that, because I don't need USB ports.
I checked the schematic and I am stunned that RT6220, a Buck converter rated for 5V output max is actually used to supply internal 12V. Simply wow. But upon closer closer, I can't see why not. All ratings seem to be respected.

Anyway, the point is that +12V rail seems to be used for SATA drives only. As long as you stick to 2,5" SATA drives (that almost always (?) draw power from 5V rail only), or no SATA drives at all, you should be good with car battery voltage range.
I also took a closer look at 5V and 3.3V converters and I see no input under-voltage protection of any sort.
Long story short, I think this thing should work with as low as 10V - although don't take my word for it. I don't own H2+ and cannot try that for you.

Also mind the 60W power consumption - definitely nothing you want to keep running when you park your car.
These users thanked the author mctom for the post:
L67GS (Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:16 am)
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

That's brilliant breaking the HDMI out. I didn't think to look at the schematics to assess actual power requirements either, good catch. As far as running tuning software in Linux, the stakes are just too high. A glitch means a bricked PCM. Hopefully the H2+ becomes available in the next year so I can cobble one into my daily to assess the stability.
I scored a couple of unusual touch screens a while back, both are VGA so HDMI needs broken out anyway to use one.
20210928_172407.jpg
20210928_172407.jpg (310.25 KiB) Viewed 318 times

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

You'd be the first one to have windows as a carputer

mctom

Post by mctom »

Stephen Hawking already did it a while back!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

I suppose it's a matter of perspective but the tuner crowd (think "The Fast and the Furious") have long been mounting laptops in cars. So in a way I personally consider those early carputer installs since they were connected to the car's ECM/PCM and power. So one could say there have benn thousands of carputers that ran windows. I don't know how many have run Linux though, the concept appears to be fairly dominated by Android. Doing a TALKING AND LISTENING carputer project that can execute functions from a verbal command probably puts me in a pretty small club.

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

Doing a TALKING AND LISTENING carputer project that can execute functions from a verbal command probably puts me in a pretty small club
Small, but select!
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post (total 2):
L67GS (Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:00 am) • odroid (Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:33 am)

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

mad_ady wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:11 am
Small, but select!
.... and that would be the era I grew up in, probably the biggest influence in wanting a chatbot carputer. That reminds me I forgot to mention it's also a sporty black car with tan interior, lol.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Please tell me you're gonna make the red front light as well.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

mctom wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:28 pm
Please tell me you're gonna make the red front light as well.
That would be illegal here, red lights only in the rear unless it's an emergency vehicle. However, I would like to do sequential brake and turn signals in the rear.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Here it's illegal to install any additional lights. Sometimes it's hard to register a USA import because rear turn signals are often not yellow/orange.
On the other hand, I know a local biker who installed a few thousand LEDs on his Goldwing, and never had any problems with that.

So, anyway, what's it gonna be, a bunch of TTLs, FPGA, or Odroid in each tail lamp? :D

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

mctom wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:38 am
So, anyway, what's it gonna be, a bunch of TTLs, FPGA, or Odroid in each tail lamp? :D
Strongly considering dot matrix LED, but that's not DOT approved either. I could possibly fight it by identifying the LEDs in something like an LED Cadillac light and ordering 10000 of them, lol.

Return to “Projects”