The Retro Arena OS base

Third party OS images and hardware mods
WolfyWardark
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Super

Re: The Retro Arena OS base

Post by WolfyWardark »

I'm having trouble expanding the SD after installing "TheRA-OGS-OGA-Beta1.img"

Have tried Putty SSH with "sudo systemctl start firstboot" and also "sudo ./resize.sh"

Any ideas? Many thanks! ^_^

EDIT: No worries, I figured it out! :)

animeware
ODROIDs: OGA2.OG Super

Post by animeware »

Is there going to be Beta 3 or 4 coming soon I cannot wait to try it.

Thank You....

Ben90

Post by Ben90 »

Slaminger wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:17 am
Support for the new OGS has been added, and will be available to the public shortly before or during when the devices start shipping out to consumers.
A few bugs to report on the OGS for you, for the image listed on techtoytinker that calls out OGS support:

(1) battery percentage tops out at 95 on the main screen when the batter is 100% full
(2) brightness display on main screen (upper left) does not match the menu brightness where you adjust it
(3) volume displayed on main screen does not match the menu volume where you adjust it

Also a humble request:
Could support be added for RTL8821CU bluetooth? I have a wifi/bluetooth combination dongle using that chip and wifi works, but there is no bluetooth options available on my unit when using this dongle

Slaminger
languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: XU4, N2, N2+, C2, C4, OGA, OGA-BE, H2+, OGS, OGST

Post by Slaminger »

Ben90 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:40 am
Slaminger wrote:
Support for the new OGS has been added, and will be available to the public shortly before or during when the devices start shipping out to consumers.
A few bugs to report on the OGS for you, for the image listed on techtoytinker that calls out OGS support:

(1) battery percentage tops out at 95 on the main screen when the batter is 100% full
(2) brightness display on main screen (upper left) does not match the menu brightness where you adjust it
(3) volume displayed on main screen does not match the menu volume where you adjust it

Also a humble request:
Could support be added for RTL8821CU bluetooth? I have a wifi/bluetooth combination dongle using that chip and wifi works, but there is no bluetooth options available on my unit when using this dongle
I can ask HK about the bluetooth driver yes, the battery on my screen hits 100, it just takes a while, the volume is being worked on, its got its own event now so its not the same as the previous models

putputer
ODROIDs: Odroid-U3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by putputer »

Is RA stable enough to be a fulltime OS for OGA?

Ben90

Post by Ben90 »

Slaminger wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:54 am
Ben90 wrote:
Slaminger wrote:

Also a humble request:
I can ask HK about the bluetooth driver yes, the battery on my screen hits 100, it just takes a while, the volume is being worked on, its got its own event now so its not the same as the previous models
Thanks for the responsiveness, the image is already working great overall, but your continued work is appreciated.

Hopefully HK can provide support for bluetooth for that chip, would be helpful for audio and controllers.

I'll try a few different chargers and see if I get a different result, but was seeing the charge controller limiting amps to basically zero down from 1900ma at some point so it seems like it was interpretting the battery as full right?

One additional question: I can't get vram settings in the gui to save. Am I doing something wrong or is it locked to 100mb purposefully?

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

putputer wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:19 am
Is RA stable enough to be a fulltime OS for OGA?
yeah it is

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

Ben90 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:02 pm
Slaminger wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:54 am
Ben90 wrote:
Slaminger wrote:

Also a humble request:
Thanks for the responsiveness, the image is already working great overall, but your continued work is appreciated.

Hopefully HK can provide support for bluetooth for that chip, would be helpful for audio and controllers.

I'll try a few different chargers and see if I get a different result, but was seeing the charge controller limiting amps to basically zero down from 1900ma at some point so it seems like it was interpretting the battery as full right?

One additional question: I can't get vram settings in the gui to save. Am I doing something wrong or is it locked to 100mb purposefully?
it would seem yeah, but ive had my unit hit 100, but i had to walk away and leave it plugged in and forget, id come back later and its at 100.
Yes, upping the vram was being buggy so its just disabled for now.
These users thanked the author Slaminger for the post:
Ben90 (Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:58 am)

Traspler

Post by Traspler »

Hello

I want to setup TheRA on my Odroid Go Advance (Black Edition) and noticed that in the GDrive folder linked on https://techtoytinker.com/odroid-go-advance there are also "libSDL2-2.0.so.0.14.zip" and "RetroArchNetplayandESSystemsUpdate.rar" files. Will I need to install them after flashing the image to my SD card? What exactly are they for?

animeware
ODROIDs: OGA2.OG Super

Post by animeware »

Inside the google drive there read me download thoes should help you out.

Traspler

Post by Traspler »

The SDL readme says "if you are using oga please follow these steps to restore mpv and sld2 functionality." so, as vague as that is, I guess it's something I want to do when I'm on an OGA:BE. The other rar is not mentioned anywhere in the readme and the included readme only contains install instructions.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

RTL8821CU Bluetooth driver was already included in the reference Ubuntu minimal image.
It could scan/pair with some HID devices as well as A2DP audio devices via SSH command line with hcitools.
But, actual connection to the audio device didn't work due to some missing Bluetooth audio alsa/pulseaudio packages.
Additionally, there should be a small GUI software to be developed for the Bluetooth paring/connecting management.
I think that development needs a lot of time and human resources.

mrvanes
ODROIDs: OGA
XU4

Post by mrvanes »

Re battery charge indicator: I recently flashed the new Go Advance recovery 1.5 as it states improved battery charging logic. After that and a full charge, I was left with an empty charge indicator in emulationstation, because the sysfs entry /sys/class/power_supply/battery/capacity actually contained 0. The solution was to disassembled the Go Advance, remove the battery connector and connect it again. After that I had a full 100% reading in emulationstation back.

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

Traspler wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:05 pm
Hello

I want to setup TheRA on my Odroid Go Advance (Black Edition) and noticed that in the GDrive folder linked on https://techtoytinker.com/odroid-go-advance there are also "libSDL2-2.0.so.0.14.zip" and "RetroArchNetplayandESSystemsUpdate.rar" files. Will I need to install them after flashing the image to my SD card? What exactly are they for?
the libsdl zip will fix moonlight, and some of the ports, along with mpv video player on odroid go advance, as the libsdl version on the build worked on OGS but not OGA, there are instructions on the site and i believe a read me with the zip for that, you basically just chmod a folder, drop it in, and change a simlink to point to that file instead.
The second file, the RetroArchNetplay fixes a bug where retroarch would not connect to the server for multiplayer gaming, those just to into /opt/retroarch/bin and replace the files already there, just a drag n drop operation for that one. There are also instructions for that as well.

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

Traspler wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:14 am
The SDL readme says "if you are using oga please follow these steps to restore mpv and sld2 functionality." so, as vague as that is, I guess it's something I want to do when I'm on an OGA:BE. The other rar is not mentioned anywhere in the readme and the included readme only contains install instructions.
no, the read me says:

if you are using oga please follow these steps to restore mpv and sld2 functionality.
download the zip in this link libSDL2-2.0.so.0.14.zip
unzip it onto your pc, turn your device on and connect to the internet.

open winscp and log in to your unit, navigate to /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu. open a putty ssh connection and run sudo chmod -R 777 /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu. now drag and drop the file from the zip in, and locate the libsdl2.so.0 file located in the same area, right click it and select edit link, change it from the current version, which is 0.10 to the new one 0.4 and make sure the name matchs identically. once this finishes you may close winscp, before you close putty run sudo chmod -R 755 /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu.
now type sudo reboot, upon reboot you may now use mpv, drastic, and the sdl based ports on OGA.

Yes this is for OGA and OGA-BE. both are OGA :)

Traspler

Post by Traspler »

Slaminger wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:43 am
the libsdl zip will fix moonlight, and some of the ports, along with mpv video player on odroid go advance, as the libsdl version on the build worked on OGS but not OGA, there are instructions on the site and i believe a read me with the zip for that, you basically just chmod a folder, drop it in, and change a simlink to point to that file instead.
The second file, the RetroArchNetplay fixes a bug where retroarch would not connect to the server for multiplayer gaming, those just to into /opt/retroarch/bin and replace the files already there, just a drag n drop operation for that one. There are also instructions for that as well.
Thanks a lot for the explanations :D and thanks for including the instructions in the respective readmes.
Sorry for truncating/quoting the Readme in my post, I meant regarding the "what does it do" and not how to install.

rooted

Post by rooted »

mrvanes wrote:Re battery charge indicator: I recently flashed the new Go Advance recovery 1.5 as it states improved battery charging logic. After that and a full charge, I was left with an empty charge indicator in emulationstation, because the sysfs entry /sys/class/power_supply/battery/capacity actually contained 0. The solution was to disassembled the Go Advance, remove the battery connector and connect it again. After that I had a full 100% reading in emulationstation back.
I would think simply clicking the hardware reset button would have worked as well.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

The tact switch on the rear side is not a Reset button.
It just disables the SPI boot to recover from a corrupted SPI-Flash. : https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid_go_advan ... very_image

rooted

Post by rooted »

odroid wrote:The tact switch on the rear side is not a Reset button.
It just disables the SPI boot to recover from a corrupted SPI-Flash. : https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid_go_advan ... very_image
Oh my mistake, thank you for the correction.

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

My image has the latest kernel and uboot pre installed by the way :)

For users needing help with bluetooth pairing:

sudo apt-get install bluez-tools
sudo service bluetooth start

and successfully connect to it and get mac

sudo bluetoothctl
[bluetooth] agent on
[bluetooth] default-agent
[bluetooth] scan on
[bluetooth] devices
[bluetooth] pair <bluetooth_mac_address>

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

Tibursio wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:17 am
Hello!

I've tested both RC1 and RC2, but couldn't get N64 working! After selecting a game, screen switches to the "ubuntu"-brown fullscreen color, then just goes back to emulationstation. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Are there any pointers on how to fix this? Note, other emulators tested (SNES, PSX, GBA) seem to be working fine and I'm pretty sure my ROMs are OK as they are playable on my other systems.

Update: fixed it, needed to unzip the ROMs to get the emulator working. Not a big deal really, but zip support would be nice if only to be consistent with other emulator platforms. Cheers!

Retroarch doesn't perform as well as stand alone Mupen 64, but it doesn't like zips.

littlbee

Post by littlbee »

Hello

I have a OGA and had left it for many months on the side, so was still running with an older RA image.
I have created a new SD card with the latest RC and I'm completely lost with the key bindings. When first starting the image I got a popup asking for key mappings and maybe I screwed that up. Now any game I start the D-pad is non functional. Besides once a game is started I just can't find a way to go back to the main RA menu.
How can I get the key bindings all OK again ?

deerwings
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advance, Odroid Go Super

Post by deerwings »

This is fantastic, guys. I have TheRA RC2 installed and working on my OGS and it works *fantastic*. Even got Moonlight working properly as far as I can tell. My only gripes so far is I can't remap N64 controls (so I can have the C-buttons on the right analogue stick) and I would dearly love Kodi added to this. I know a lot of people are going to kvetch about watching movies on a small screen, but there's more to Kodi than just watching movies. We don't need 1080p or 4k playback on it, 720p is sufficient and radio/music application doesn't care what resolution you're on anyway.

I tried to install Kodi from the commandline but other than complaints about jackd not running (which I overcame), I just can't get Kodi to run. Complains about being unable to create the gui and exits. But I know it can work, I have it running on my OGA with another firmware!

Please please!

*Edit
Also, I was getting horrendous screen tearing with Moonlight regardless of settings (and if it sat for more than 5 seconds) so I recompiled it as per instructions elsewhere on the forum and fixed that toot sweet.

Suggestion: Guys, your boot splash could use some prettifying. It's great to have one, but that green is just egad. :)

cy1clown
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: U3
XU4
C2

Post by cy1clown »

I vote for kodi addition also. Would be nice.

celly
Odroid Go

Post by celly »

@deerwings make your own splashscreen. Its simple, match the original file size and extension. Place it into the boot folder.
3B836807-89FC-4045-A763-5607255CA272.jpeg
3B836807-89FC-4045-A763-5607255CA272.jpeg (935 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
These users thanked the author celly for the post:
WolfyWardark (Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:07 pm)

deerwings
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advance, Odroid Go Super

Post by deerwings »

celly wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:50 pm
@deerwings make your own splashscreen. Its simple, match the original file size and extension. Place it into the boot folder.

3B836807-89FC-4045-A763-5607255CA272.jpeg
Thanks, I'll probably do that. I was mostly suggesting for their official release. :)

celly
Odroid Go

Post by celly »

@Slaminger with RC 4 is there a preferred way to change the default emulator for a system? For example for Sega CD from GenesisPlusGX to PicoDrive? We now have the emulator setting in ES but it currently only has support for SNES,GB, GBC and Genesis.

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

celly wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 5:49 am
@Slaminger with RC 4 is there a preferred way to change the default emulator for a system? For example for Sega CD from GenesisPlusGX to PicoDrive? We now have the emulator setting in ES but it currently only has support for SNES,GB, GBC and Genesis.
Yeah, you can do it manually in the meantime, its pretty straight forwards, for example:

Code: Select all

<system>
		<name>segacd</name>
		<fullname>Sega CD</fullname>
		<path>/roms/segacd/</path>
		<extension>.cue .CUE .chd .CHD .zip .ZIP .M3U .m3u</extension>
		<command>perfmax; /usr/local/bin/%EMULATOR% -L /home/odroid/.config/%EMULATOR%/cores/%CORE%_libretro.so %ROM%; perfnorm</command>
		<emulators>
           <emulator name="retroarch">
             <cores>
               <core>genesis_plus_gx</core>
               <core>picodrive</core>
             </cores>
              </emulator>
              <emulator name="retroarch32">
             <cores>
               <core>picodrive</core>
             </cores>
              </emulator>
           </emulators>
		<platform>segacd</platform>
		<theme>segacd</theme>
	</system>
Here is a link to a more robust es_systems.cfg from my current working image, it will be in the next RC.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11C86OO ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Slaminger on Fri May 21, 2021 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
celly (Fri May 21, 2021 10:24 am)

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

cy1clown wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:40 am
I vote for kodi addition also. Would be nice.
I have kodi booting, need to fix controls

victorcz
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance BE

Post by victorcz »

Ohhh ... i have scattered images many times on my OGA BE with RC.4 :/ ...How can go out here .... reboot , or ?

***if you are using oga please follow these steps to restore mpv and sld2 functionality.
unzip it onto your pc, turn your device on and connect to the internet.***

You say libsdl2.so.0 file located in the same area - " first problem WHERE HERE is file that name ? ...Do you mean "libsdl2-2.0.so" or another ? ", right click it and select edit link, change it from the current version, which is 0.10 to the new one 0.4 "second problem : Really 0.4 ??? - New file is 0.14 ?? " and make sure the name matchs identically.

Now image is unreachable and with black screen :/ ; Also SCP can´t connect ...Ok Go again ...flash image and try hard ....

Victory ! - libsdl2-2.0.so.0 and 0.14 are correct ;) I love Linux - How To : Step by Step :D

victorcz
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance BE

Post by victorcz »

OGA (BE) - There is another problem after replacing libSDL2-2.0so.0.14.1 :(
Video and another scattered parts works well now , but build-in wifi network searching doesn´t works now :/ . Can´t be added anyone , available network list is blank :( .
Also bundled "File Manager" has still big resolution on OGA (BE) ....

This iritate me too much .... I will folow development of this project but now I can´t recommend this RC4.0 for OGA (BE)
users , and im geting back to Emuelec core :/ .

WolfyWardark

Post by WolfyWardark »

Just to say, I'm having zero problems with RC4, great job guys! ^_^

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

working on a new image update :)
These users thanked the author Slaminger for the post (total 3):
WolfyWardark (Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:57 pm) • sonew (Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:18 pm) • animeware (Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:19 am)

cy1clown
XU4
C2

Post by cy1clown »

Looking forward to the next release.

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

victorcz wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:30 pm
Ohhh ... i have scattered images many times on my OGA BE with RC.4 :/ ...How can go out here .... reboot , or ?

***if you are using oga please follow these steps to restore mpv and sld2 functionality.
unzip it onto your pc, turn your device on and connect to the internet.***

You say libsdl2.so.0 file located in the same area - " first problem WHERE HERE is file that name ? ...Do you mean "libsdl2-2.0.so" or another ? ", right click it and select edit link, change it from the current version, which is 0.10 to the new one 0.4 "second problem : Really 0.4 ??? - New file is 0.14 ?? " and make sure the name matchs identically.

Now image is unreachable and with black screen :/ ; Also SCP can´t connect ...Ok Go again ...flash image and try hard ....

Victory ! - libsdl2-2.0.so.0 and 0.14 are correct ;) I love Linux - How To : Step by Step :D
you lose wifi and whatnot because when you chmodded the folder to add and swap files you forgot to chmod it back and broke the permissions.

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

RC 5 will be released tomorrow, the big changes are an OTA theme downloader, an OTA port downloader, RetroArch 1.9.8 update with wifi options included. and /roms is now an NTFS partition, as such it pops up in window/linux as a folder for you to drag and drop games to. The link will be available tomorrow at www.techtoytinker.com
These users thanked the author Slaminger for the post (total 2):
WolfyWardark (Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:32 pm) • odroid (Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:22 am)

cy1clown
XU4
C2

Post by cy1clown »

Great news I look forward to giving it a try.
These users thanked the author cy1clown for the post:
Slaminger (Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:33 am)

WolfyWardark

Post by WolfyWardark »

Yay! Awesome, can't wait!! ^_^
Slaminger wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:56 am
RC 5 will be released tomorrow, the big changes are an OTA theme downloader, an OTA port downloader, RetroArch 1.9.8 update with wifi options included. and /roms is now an NTFS partition, as such it pops up in window/linux as a folder for you to drag and drop games to. The link will be available tomorrow at www.techtoytinker.com
These users thanked the author WolfyWardark for the post:
Slaminger (Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:33 am)

WolfyWardark

Post by WolfyWardark »

Really enjoying RC 5 so far! Haven't encountered any problems and the NTFS partition is very handy! ^_^
These users thanked the author WolfyWardark for the post:
Slaminger (Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:56 am)

cy1clown
XU4
C2

Post by cy1clown »

Everything working fine so far. The theme Downloader takes a long time to boot up but it does work.
These users thanked the author cy1clown for the post:
Slaminger (Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:56 am)

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

RC 5.1 is coming later today, this is a smaller update that has begun work on fixing the issues with armhf libraries preventing a few ports from working, and fixes moonlight functionality. You only need to reflash if you want moonlight or one of the broken ports to work. It will be available on the website as always! :)
odroid (Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:38 am) • WolfyWardark (Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:49 pm)

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

It's not in my nature to release back to back images, however I am making an exception, the file manager has been fixed and OTA updates are now enabled. This should ensure users almost never need to reflash again unless major system changes like a kernel and uboot update are done. Eta 3 hours. It will be labeled RC 5.2
The updater is in system with wifi settings. Remember to run the fix permissions script from tools after an update!

It will be on techtoytinker.com as always. Enjoy! :)
WolfyWardark (Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:50 am)

WolfyWardark

Post by WolfyWardark »

Those OTA updates will save me so much time, thank you! ^_^

Edit: I do seem to be having an issue with the NTFS partition being setup. I've reflashed a few times, but no luck. My card is 256GB and worked fine with the previous versions. Will keep tinkering, maybe I'm doing something wrong. ^^;

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

delete the file named doneit from /home/odroid and type sudo systemctl enable firstboot.service and then reboot. something might have gone weird on resize. it should have rebooted a couple of times during first boot. or just ssh to /home/odroid, sudo rm -R doneit and sudo ./firstboot.sh will work too.

I have identified the issue and am re-uploading the image as RC 5.2.1. ETA 90. As a failsafe, if anyone should ever have a failed resize, there is a script in tools which will do this as well now.
WolfyWardark (Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:33 am)

WolfyWardark

Post by WolfyWardark »

Fantastic, that all worked a treat, thank you! Liking the new intro graphic as well! ^_^

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

First OTA update is live as well. It will update Retro Arch from 1.9.8 to 1.9.10. Don't forget to run the fix permissions script after just to be safe. Happy gaming!
WolfyWardark (Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:01 am) • odroid (Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:53 am)

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

WolfyWardark wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:33 am
Fantastic, that all worked a treat, thank you! Liking the new intro graphic as well! ^_^
No problem! :)

Return to “Projects”