Panfrost Status on Odroid N2

chewitt
languages_spoken: english

Re: Panfrost Status on Odroid N2

Post by chewitt »

@jgmdev, did you report the issue to panfrost devs?

jgmdev
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: U2, N2, N2+, C4, HC4

Post by jgmdev »

chewitt wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:03 am
@jgmdev, did you report the issue to panfrost devs?
I haven´t dared to report thinking they already know.

chewitt

Post by chewitt »

Never assume devs test your use-case and see your problems. The panfrost folks are super friendly so register on the FreeDesktopOrg GitLab and leave a message on the MR for the breaking commit, or drop into the #panfrost IRC channel on and ping alyssa or bbrezillon with a comment. If they know, they'll tell you. If they don't know .. now they do.
These users thanked the author chewitt for the post:
harddroid (Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:31 pm)

trwn2p
ODROIDs: N2 Plus

Post by trwn2p »

Maybe to you they are "super-friendly" but a user with nic=hdkr is an idiot and I havent and won't contrib feedback again there. And I was giving them good actionable errors with the context-versions I was using when things broke. You devs just burn your bridges with snarky arrogant replies to users just trying to help and interact. I have no issue with the main devs there. I agree that one shouldnt be afraid to enter that irc channel but when peeps see others get flamed for nothing you get peeps saying "I wouldn't dare" Archetech

jgmdev

Post by jgmdev »

The last issue I reported seems to have been fixed on latest mesa from master git! I had to disable gallium-nine for it to build (because latest gallium-nine changes broke the mesa build) but I guess nobody is using that on these sbc´s right?

Edit: While posting this noticed some really small rendering artifacts below the textarea, maybe related to work done on panfrost AFBC which I read on the #panfrost irc, anyways it is getting better and better :)
These users thanked the author jgmdev for the post:
odroid (Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:37 pm)

jart25
ODROIDs: N2

Post by jart25 »

jgmdev wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:27 am
wallyz21 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:49 pm
but Super Tux Kart is broken!
It works, on graphics level 2 (more effects may give issues, level 3 works with some issues) using kernel package linux-odroid-511 with latest mesa-arm-git package, here a screenshot on level 2.

trwn2p wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:55 am
Alot of balony caused by Jdmdev. I use tobetters stuff and all is well. I upgraded my 2 installs Deb 11 LXQT and Ubu Gnome 20.10 both of newest 5.10.16 and panfrost with no issues. I enjoy them alot. I would prefer jdmdev keep his info in one thread and not general threads like this one. I like to track progress on odroid and panfrost. Not a bunch of Arch custom crap images polluting this thread. Just my take on it. It would be nice if there were'nt tons of threads for this guy like arch wayfire blah blah. How bout a single forum thread for his stuff somewhere. If I'm alone on this ok but I dont like his work and it just pollutes alot of threads. He started this thread so I guess it stays a garbage dump on an ODROID forum. So many have trouble with his stuff and it bleeds all over tobetters threads. That's my gripe.
What can I say :( ... my enthusiasm with using a small low energy consumption ARM device as a desktop computer lead me to making lots of posting, testing and staying active on the forums sharing what I found thinking others may find it interesting and learning from other people comments, so sorry for annoying you with my noise and enthusiasm.

I wasn't planning on doing ArchLinux images but some people wrote me private messages asking me to do after writing the Howto's, so I decided to give it a shot and it has been fun so far. I have already read on the forums negative comments from other debian flavor distro developer calling the stuff I share unprofessional or me directly/indirectly a noob (which I am, we learn new stuff everyday doesn't we?) but I ignored the comments so far since I have enjoyed putting the various working ArchLinux images (at least they work for me) for the nice Odroid N2/N2+ which is the kind of device I waited for some years, and sharing it without asking anything back, my intention has never been doing wrong to anyone, this is not about competition but about choice. But, I guess some people can get competitive, and the worst part, derogative/hateful towards others.

Some years ago I enjoyed ubuntu or plain debian but then found ArchLinux and felt in love with its rolling release model. You enjoy Ubuntu? that is great! But, I know others like me enjoy the ArchLinux way of things, not because I stopped using debian I started writing negative comments about it on public forums or denigrating people contributions towards it. But it seems that people take their fanaticism and rage against others. I guess we all have to deal with that kind of behavior from the corporate world to the open source collaborative/community world (which is sad, so far working on this images was like therapy for me ;)). Anyways, we all have acted the same at some point in life so I'm not a suitable person to point fingers.

Sorry again for irritating you...
Hi! how can change between graphics level 2 and graphics level 3? I am using manjaro

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Post by mctom »

In main menu, a wrench icon on the lower end of the screen access settings. Select Graphics submenu, and from there, the topmost selector is for graphics level.

You know there were talking about supertuxkart, right? ;)
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

back2future

Post by back2future »

While i can repeat numbers for glmark2 benchmarks, someone else watched WebGL on

Code: Select all

chromium-browser
for WebGL Samples also?
For up to a number of 1000 fish, it's about 7-10 fps?
Thx

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

back2future wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:45 am
While i can repeat numbers for glmark2 benchmarks, someone else watched WebGL on

chromium-browser
for WebGL Samples also?
For up to a number of 1000 fish, it's about 7-10 fps?
Thx
It was around 27~28FPS with default 500 fishes.

back2future

Post by back2future »

Thx, Ok, i guessed ~30fps from comparing with other hardware benchmarks.
It's Ubuntu Groovy, 20.10, fresh install, apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, openbox window manager, chromium-browser showing all recommended experimental flags enabled.

Difference might be, that cpu usage is pretty high on ~60-75%, while otherwise idling on 2-13% on browser window open, but no WebGL page active.
glmark2-es2 Score: 625 is even recognizable higher than shown in overview from previous page (not fullscreen, governor simple_ondemand), maybe 5.11.0-odroid-arm64 could be a difference to shown setup on video guide (Thx again)? Video guide cpu usage is around 7-55% on 720p.

Until now i don't see where's the difference between glmark2 benchmarks (OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 21.1.0-devel) and chromium-browser (Version 91.0) acceleration (Do i need to start full Gnome gdm3 desktop on Groovy)?
Last edited by back2future on Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

What is the FPS if you choose 500 fishes?
Anyway, consider installing Hirsute Hippo instead of Groovy Gorilla since Groovy is being EOLed in this month.

back2future

Post by back2future »

Ok, i managed to install Hirsute Hippo (21.04), and chromium-browser from repository shown on entrance of video tutorial. Difference between snap repository chromium-browser (~850-900MB for installation with snap environment) and one from video tutorial repository is like software rendering at 7-10 fps to otherwise ~25-35 fps with 500 'different' fishes whirling round (at the moment there is a problem on antialiasing for me on WebGL rendering and the result is not as nice compared to the video tutorial, i tried to understand what influence is desktop type on glmark/WebGL benchmark, or window managing or desktop compositing, so i probably mixed too much different versions of libs on that approach. Difficulty is, that glmark shows video-like rendering. ).

Wayfire installation (thought it's easier to configure than Gnome) can easily get a 2-3 hour task, because of all dependencies (libseat!) to find and install, cloning all git repositories from latest updated sources and meson (compile tool) upgraded to >0.57 for to get through whole installation process. But once installed it is a mostly suitable desktop for commonly requested applications with astonishingly enhanced gpu performance on N2 (while WebGL was same difficulty described before, whole rendering stays at ~30fps while fast and smoothly moving the browser window on the desktop). Known difficulties seem to be Wayland keyboard layout switching, audio? driver, gtk menu/font difficulties (some desktops might require to install additional gtk theme for to solve this) and maybe others missing also something comparable to (combined with x11 accessable) virtual terminals.

Gnome (on Wayland) seems best recommendation at the moment for having most application options available, comparable to previous distros.
Plasma (system components were smoothly useable, high quality rendering) application programs had rendering problems (icons, fonts), but i just had a short look on it (and some components crash alerts, but these were not affecting desktop stability).
Lxdm (on Wayland env configuration) desktop was functional, but menu items should be known without being readable text and icons, similarly terminal text was not rendered to readable output inside its window frame.
Openbox (probably on X11 settings) showed no problems (no gpu hw acceleration, otoh).

Pretty much (impressive) improvement on Wayland, but for having all possibilities available, me still being on X11 and software rendering for every day tasks.
Thx to all.

(edit: one source for building Wayfire desktop was Wayfire building tutorial, but it is written for x86, so one line has to be changed to

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$prefix/lib/pkgconfig:$prefix/share/pkgconfig:$prefix/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig
and there's a git source for a build script, but that did not do it all automatically, for my setup wf-install, github
So i would not call this a 'gui-user' project with all difficulties possible, but with no problems seen, installing of Wayfire might be even less than 1 hour.)
Last edited by back2future on Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 9 times in total.
These users thanked the author back2future for the post (total 2):
m_ueberall (Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:52 pm) • odroid (Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:19 am)

mctom

Post by mctom »

In my opinion, switching to Wayland from X11 is pretty much the same like switching from Windows to Linux - yes, not everything is the same, but in order to make something better, there must be changes.

I created a thread a while ago with Wayland tips, which includes building Sway. Perhaps adding a tutorial for building Wayfire would be a nice addition, so nobody has to look for libseat again.
There are also tips for making X11 programs run with mostly no problems. For now my biggest issue is to run gparted or baobab as root, because Wayland is not keen on displaying GUI as any other user than session owner (Root included). There is a way aound it, but the best bet is to simply use something else.

If your "daily tasks" is what 95% of people does, a web browser and media player, there's no argument against Wayland at this point, but that's just my opinion.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

uropb
ODROIDs: C4
Has thanked: 0

Post by uropb »

mctom wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:32 pm
now my biggest issue is to run gparted or baobab as root,
sudo -E gparted
These users thanked the author uropb for the post:
mctom (Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:01 am)

mctom

Post by mctom »

No waaay! :O

Maintainer of PiStackMon

trwn2p
ODROIDs: N2 Plus

Post by trwn2p »

Panfrost mesa-git running Linux from Scratch KDE-Wayland glmark2-es2-wayland = 1260
Attachments
Screenshot_20210712_091847.png
Screenshot_20210712_091847.png (1.47 MiB) Viewed 808 times
These users thanked the author trwn2p for the post:
odroid (Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:29 am)

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

Please let me share the benchmark score of Panfrost tested on ODROID-N2Plus, the test has been done on Ubuntu 21.04.
  • CPU : 2.4GHz (performance governor)
  • GPU : 800MHz / 1000MHz (performance governor)
Summary of testing:
  • The benchmark score of glmark2-es2-wayland and glmark2-wayland are significatly improved.
  • Other benchmark scores are also very good and promising.
  • GPU overclocking 1000MHz does not make a difference to 800MHz. This does not convince me to use overclock frequency any more.
  • A different type of rendering glitches have been discovered while performing all glmark2 suite.
  • Update package I've performed is ready but not uploaded to server yet because of the rendering issue. This issue does not affect to regular experience but looks it happens when huge calculation is required.
    GLMark2 (2021.02) on ODROID-N2Plus (2016_2208MHz) - Ubuntu Gnome Desktop.png
    GLMark2 (2021.02) on ODROID-N2Plus (2016_2208MHz) - Ubuntu Gnome Desktop.png (137.35 KiB) Viewed 735 times
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 4):
istanbulls (Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:54 am) • jart25 (Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:18 am) • Luke.go (Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:31 am) • jgmdev (Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:19 am)

jgmdev

Post by jgmdev »

Under wayfire I got:

glmark2-wayland: 1481
glmark2-es2-wayland: 1458
glmark2: 731

It seems that non wayland regressed because it was faster before, maybe because it wasn't implementing many GL stuff.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

jgmdev wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:21 am
Under wayfire I got:

glmark2-wayland: 1481
glmark2-es2-wayland: 1458
glmark2: 731

It seems that non wayland regressed because it was faster before, maybe because it wasn't implementing many GL stuff.
It is...I appriciate Panfrost developers to keep updating GL extensions even slow, but works...Running "supertuxkart" on N2 is fair enough as of now.

back2future

Post by back2future »

Some difficulties with chromium WebGL (probably because of additional acceleration plugin enabled)
WebGL Wayland, rendering distortion WebGL X11 rendering
Do you think that a more complex desktop could require a maybe 100-150(-400) score points (one situation guess) on benchmark score with glmark2-es2 (for example) because of openGL/EGL access through (even idling) desktop components?
(N2 standard conf cpu, gpu799MHz, governor simple_ondemand, 21.04, Gnome desktop on wayland, benchmark during 'consumer profile desktop activities':
  • glmark2-es2 303
    glmark2-es2 --offscreen 720
    results from [build]-[pulsar] and [jellyfish]-[loop] are higher with --off-screen option
    curiously, results from [desktop]-[ideas] are higher with rendering window visible
  • glmark2 228
  • glmark2-es2-wayland 745
    glmark2-es2-wayland --off-screen 787 (only benchmark/no user desktop activities 813) )
Do you have 'normally' rendered X11-related programs on Gnome Desktop, for e.g. baobab or gimp on (X)wayland?

Gnome desktop shows fluent and smooth interaction and usability.
Thx
Last edited by back2future on Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

back2future wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:24 pm
Do you think that a more complex desktop could require a maybe 100-150(-400) score points (one situation guess) on benchmark score with glmark2-es2 (for example) because of openGL/EGL access through (even idling) desktop components?
(N2 standard conf cpu, gpu799MHz, governor simple_ondemand, 21.04, Gnome desktop on wayland, benchmark during 'consumer profile desktop activities':
  • glmark2-es2 303
    glmark2-es2 --offscreen 720
    results from [build]-[pulsar] and [jellyfish]-[loop] are higher with --off-screen option
    curiously, results from [desktop]-[ideas] are higher with rendering window visible
  • glmark2 228
  • glmar2-es2-wayland 745
    glmar2-es2-wayland --off-screen 787 (only benchmark/no user interaction 813) )
If I understand your question correctly, I think 100-150 points won't make big difference of user experience but higher number always helps smooth interaction. I am also testing the ODROID-N2 (@2GHz) and ODROID-C4 (S905X3) with performance governor whenever I made new mesa build, ODROID-N2 runs a bit slower than ODROID-N2Plus but it's not huge for normal use. Beside, ODROID-C4 offers 30-35% scores to ODROID-N2, supertuxkart makes the mouse cursor heavy and its fps is relatively low.
Do you have 'normally' rendered X11-related programs on Gnome Desktop, for e.g. baobab or gimp on (X)wayland?

Gnome desktop shows fluent and smooth interaction and usability.
Thx
I believe XWayland is installed when Gnome Desktop is installed, this helps to run legacy X11 apps on top of it. Since I have not run every single X11 apps, I am not sure which app will run badly, at least xeyes and xshell runs without an issue. Gnome/X11 has a big issue that icons or menus are missing and it's not unusable with the recent Panfrost, I am not sure since when this happens but does not happen the Panfrost driver which I built on 2020/Apr/23.

back2future

Post by back2future »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:37 pm
  • desktop performance and benchmark score relation with Odroid N2plus, N2, C4;
  • Xwayland integration and support on wayland server
Thx for clarifying, I see. How do you check Panfrost driver version?
(Probably there is a version difference for kernel or/and dtb files (or necessity for rebooting in between upgrading mesa libraries?, and from my knowledge i would not expect boot script options influence gpu performance?), because of benchmark scores differing?
That's probably too much difference between idling desktop and web browsing activity (no intense WebGL pages active while) with benchmarking. Setting governor to performance was (here) only up to a maybe 50 score points improvement.)

If your 2020/Apr/23 version supports fonts and icons in menus, my thoughts about gtk relation (because of < GTK4) are probably wrong on this, you think so too?
Would it make sense, giving previous version a try?

For to avoid misunderstandings, desktop experience here is fluent and rendering is flawless (with current versions, but that's not the reason for testing possibilities on this experimental thread, IIUC) for Gnome on Wayland (and Wayland supported applications).

(edit 7/17/2021: with gtk difficulties on Gnome Wayland:
similar to described here ,
after a fresh installation of 21.04 rootfs, apt update/upgrade, installing a suitable gtk theme seems being sufficient for readable rendering of gtk applications, AFAIK, but that was not that initially obvious.
Nice rendering result comparable to Mate desktop from first sight.)
Last edited by back2future on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:19 am, edited 9 times in total.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

back2future wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:04 pm
tobetter wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:37 pm
  • desktop performance and benchmark score relation with Odroid N2plus, N2, C4;
  • Xwayland integration and support on wayland server
Thx for clarifying, I see. How do you check panfrost driver version?
I have a nighly build setup for Mesa/Panfrost, I use/test the version with glmark2 suite and this is the best way to check the performance and its version. Please check out the picture and the figures in the red mark which is HEAD of the Mesa compiled from in the repository. This is the link which matches with the running Mesa library.
https://github.com/mesa3d/mesa/commit/e ... a36f89b055
glmark2-es2-wayland.png
glmark2-es2-wayland.png (997.22 KiB) Viewed 545 times
(Probably there is a version difference for kernel or/and dtb files, because of benchmark scores differing?
That's probably too much difference between idling desktop and web browsing activity with benchmarking. Setting governor to performance was (here) only up to a maybe 50 score points improvement.)

If your 2020/Apr/23 version supports fonts and icons in menus, my thoughts about gtk relation (because of < GTK4) is probably wrong on this, you think so too?
In practice, since around 5.11.x if I remember correctly, there is not many commits in Kernel for Mali or Panfrost itself. Instead I can discovered the huge update for DRM Linux kernel drivers - cannot specify all they are related to Panfrost - also tones of update from godness of Panfrost - Alyssa - and many developers to extend GPU features. So my understand now is that performance difference happens in Mesa/Panfrost driver, not Linux kernel.

In the last performance measurement what I made, Panfrost score does not make big difference - actually it's almost same - between 800MHz and 1000MHz which we call overclock frequency. In hardware specification of S922X, the max freq of Mali is 800MHz while 850MHz is the max frequency in the Linux 4.9 kernel from Amlogic. That's why I am actually not trust that GPU on S922X is performing at 1000MHz but it's a bit more related to CPU performance which runs Mesa/Panfrost functions in between userspace and GPU, IMO.

I believe Web Browsing is a bit different story compare to Desktop since they have difference architecture for security reasons. Currently Firefox offers better Web GL rendering performance than Chromium. The Chromium browser in Ubuntu, maybe since 20.10, uses snap to install and which may not have Ozone code patches with Wayland. That's why the default Chromium browser installation does not offer higher performance.
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chrom ... verview.md

I had uploaded a video clip to show up how Chromium browser can renders Web GL in Ubuntu 20.10, this was not snap Chromium browser install. Fortunately, I've found a package in the Launchpad (thanks to Saikrishna Arcot) and test was performed with the package from the repository, it performs way better than default Chromium browser from Canonical.
https://launchpad.net/~saiarcot895/+arc ... /+packages
Ironically, I've tested it on Ubuntu 21.04 but had to use the Chromium which is built for Ubuntu 20.04 since Chromium for Ubuntu 21.04 gives worse rendering issues.

Do we have GTK4 in Ubuntu yet? I think we are not yet...
My Mesa package version on Apr/23 did not make a rendering issue with Gnome Desktop X11 session, while later version has. Even if the later version makes an issue with X11 session, it offers better performance, more Wayland and GPU extensions, so I've uploaded the version and recommend to Gnome Wayland desktop. Another user @mctom uses Sway instead of Gnome and it looks performes well according to him.

Unfortunately, my capability is limited and I am not looking only GPU things. So my understanding or research would be outdated or wrong. I will appreciate if you correct me what I am wrong and I'd like to keep updating whatever I found.

In addtion, I've good news from @wallyz21 who is a fan of Mate Desktop, looks like the last Panfrost update helps and improve the Mate Desktop experience (basically it's also X11 based if my understanding is correct). I usually runs with Gnome Desktop, so not aware of how it performs...I will try to set up new storage with Mate and see how it performs.
viewtopic.php?p=331998#p331998

back2future

Post by back2future »

( >=GTK3: probably Gnome (experimental) or Plasma workspace with Compiz composition window manager installed a gtk4 configuration folder, so maybe parts integrate gtk4 libraries already?
Most difficulties on graphical issues were because of small configuration exceptions or one or the other desktop dependency not installed (minimal desktops), less with driver or libraries incompatibilities and additionally, updates reduced issues, AFAIK. (except font invisibility/changing color rendering inside (non-default) chromium-browser, 21.04 91.x version, ~07/2021)

Glmark2 benchmarks (here an idling desktop on Wayfire or Gnome is ~700 (optimized up to ~950 now possible on Wayfire) score points on glmark2-es2-wayland) are influenced through chromium-browser WebGL (Aquarium example, 17-19fps/23-27fps <- might depend on what rendering access was started first) "~490", chromium-browser Youtube video (720p, started with vaapi option) ~525 or supertuxkart (fluently running game) ~100. [Curiously, best score seen was on Wayfire glmark2 "3108" (windows frame "X" visible only).]
Experiencing this variety, maybe question is interesting, if video v4l2 libraries interact with Panfrost driver within DRM system?
Did you ever change monitor in between several glmark2 benchmarks with differing bit/color depth for 1080p also?)
Last edited by back2future on Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

back2future wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:47 am
Did you ever change monitor in between several glmark2 benchmarks with differing bit depth for 1080p also?)
No, benchmark run in the same hardware / device and no hardware / software changes except GPU freq.

brad
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2 N2+ H2 H2+ (64 bit ftw)

Post by brad »

back2future wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:47 am
if video v4l2 libraries interact with Panfrost driver within DRM system?
I don't believe so as the v4l2 components sit mostly within the kernel which is just exporting a standard API to userspace processes that is not vendor specific.

Since 5.11 there have been numerous API changes for v4l2 as they bring it out of the staging area into the normal kernel tree. The userspace applications also need to be updated so they can communicate with the new API, eg here is one for gstreamer and VP8 - https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreame ... uests/2075 The kernel component landed in 5.13

Im not sure on the ffmpeg integration but I believe this is being worked on as well.

As far as i'm aware there is no vappi integration at all, instead userspace applications need to be updated to support the new v4l2 stateless API within the kernel.

I have been attempting to compile Chromium with v4l2 enabled but so far having issues due to incompatibilities with headers of newer kernels due to the api changes. I suspect Chromium will have a patch in the not to distant future to support v4l2 stateless on the 5.11+ kernel. I have been monitoring the source for some time to see when it might happen - https://chromium.googlesource.com/chrom ... a/gpu/v4l2

At the moment it is still referencing an old header, for example the H254 component (linux/media/h264-ctrls.h) which no longer exists in the current kernel headers

[16296/40670] CXX obj/media/gpu/v4l2/v4l2/v4l2_h264_accelerator_chromium.o
FAILED: obj/media/gpu/v4l2/v4l2/v4l2_h264_accelerator_chromium.o
/usr/bin/clang++-10 -MMD -MF obj/media/gpu/v4l2/v4l2/v4l2_h264_accelerator_chromium.o.d -DMEDIA_GPU_IMPLEMENTATION -DUSE_UDEV -DUSE_AURA=1 -DUSE_GLIB=1 -DUSE_NSS_CERTS=1 -DUSE_OZONE=1 -DUSE_X11=1 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS -D__STDC_FORMAT_MACROS -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -D_LIBCPP_ABI_UNSTABLE -D_LIBCPP_DISABLE_VISIBILITY_ANNOTATIONS -D_LIBCXXABI_DISABLE_VISIBILITY_ANNOTATIONS -D_LIBCPP_ENABLE_NODISCARD -D_LIBCPP_HAS_NO_VENDOR_AVAILABILITY_ANNOTATIONS -DCR_LIBCXX_REVISION=8fa87946779682841e21e2da977eccfb6cb3bded -DNDEBUG -DNVALGRIND -DDYNAMIC_ANNOTATIONS_ENABLED=0 -DGL_GLEXT_PROTOTYPES -DUSE_GLX -DUSE_EGL -DGLIB_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED=GLIB_VERSION_2_40 -DGLIB_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED=GLIB_VERSION_2_40 -DWEBP_EXTERN=extern -DVK_USE_PLATFORM_XCB_KHR -DSK_FAVOR_WUFFS_V_0_3_OVER_V_0_2 -DSK_CODEC_DECODES_PNG -DSK_CODEC_DECODES_WEBP -DSK_ENCODE_PNG -DSK_ENCODE_WEBP -DSK_USER_CONFIG_HEADER=\"../../skia/config/SkUserConfig.h\" -DSK_GL -DSK_CODEC_DECODES_JPEG -DSK_ENCODE_JPEG -DSK_HAS_WUFFS_LIBRARY -DSK_VULKAN_HEADER=\"../../skia/config/SkVulkanConfig.h\" -DSK_VULKAN=1 -DSK_SUPPORT_GPU=1 -DSK_GPU_WORKAROUNDS_HEADER=\"gpu/config/gpu_driver_bug_workaround_autogen.h\" -DVK_USE_PLATFORM_XCB_KHR -DU_USING_ICU_NAMESPACE=0 -DU_ENABLE_DYLOAD=0 -DUSE_CHROMIUM_ICU=1 -DU_ENABLE_TRACING=1 -DU_ENABLE_RESOURCE_TRACING=0 -DU_STATIC_IMPLEMENTATION -DICU_UTIL_DATA_IMPL=ICU_UTIL_DATA_FILE -DGOOGLE_PROTOBUF_NO_RTTI -DGOOGLE_PROTOBUF_NO_STATIC_INITIALIZER -DHAVE_PTHREAD -DCRASHPAD_ZLIB_SOURCE_EXTERNAL -DLEVELDB_PLATFORM_CHROMIUM=1 -DLEVELDB_PLATFORM_CHROMIUM=1 -DLIBGAV1_MAX_BITDEPTH=10 -DLIBGAV1_THREADPOOL_USE_STD_MUTEX -DLIBGAV1_ENABLE_LOGGING=0 -DLIBGAV1_PUBLIC= -DVK_NO_PROTOTYPES -DUSE_VULKAN_XCB -I../.. -Igen -I../../third_party/libyuv/include -I../../third_party/perfetto/include -Igen/third_party/perfetto/build_config -Igen/third_party/perfetto -I../../third_party/libwebp/src -I../../third_party/khronos -I../../gpu -I../../third_party/vulkan-deps/vulkan-headers/src/include -Igen/third_party/dawn/src/include -I../../third_party/dawn/src/include -I../../third_party/abseil-cpp -I../../third_party/boringssl/src/include -I../../third_party/protobuf/src -Igen/protoc_out -I../../third_party/mesa_headers -I../../third_party/skia -I../../third_party/wuffs/src/release/c -I../../third_party/vulkan/include -I../../third_party/vulkan-deps/vulkan-headers/src/include -I../../third_party/icu/source/common -I../../third_party/icu/source/i18n -I../../third_party/ced/src -I../../third_party/protobuf/src -I../../third_party/crashpad/crashpad -I../../third_party/crashpad/crashpad/compat/linux -I../../third_party/crashpad/crashpad/compat/non_win -I../../third_party/zlib -I../../third_party/libwebm/source -I../../third_party/leveldatabase -I../../third_party/leveldatabase/src -I../../third_party/leveldatabase/src/include -I../../third_party/libgav1/src -I../../third_party/libgav1/src/src -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -fno-ident -fno-strict-aliasing --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -fstack-protector -funwind-tables -fPIC -pthread -fcolor-diagnostics -fmerge-all-constants --target=aarch64-linux-gnu -Wno-builtin-macro-redefined -D__DATE__= -D__TIME__= -D__TIMESTAMP__= -Xclang -fdebug-compilation-dir -Xclang . -no-canonical-prefixes -Wall -Wextra -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wunreachable-code -Wthread-safety -Wextra-semi -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-c++11-narrowing -Wno-unneeded-internal-declaration -Wno-unknown-warning-option -Wno-undefined-var-template -Wno-psabi -Wno-ignored-pragma-optimize -Wno-implicit-int-float-conversion -Wno-final-dtor-non-final-class -Wno-builtin-assume-aligned-alignment -Wno-deprecated-copy -Wno-non-c-typedef-for-linkage -Wno-max-tokens -O2 -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -fno-omit-frame-pointer -g1 -ftrivial-auto-var-init=pattern -fvisibility=hidden -Wheader-hygiene -Wstring-conversion -Wtautological-overlap-compare -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -DPROTOBUF_ALLOW_DEPRECATED=1 -Wno-shorten-64-to-32 -std=c++14 -fno-trigraphs -Wno-trigraphs -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -nostdinc++ -isystem../../buildtools/third_party/libc++/trunk/include -isystem../../buildtools/third_party/libc++abi/trunk/include -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -c ../../media/gpu/v4l2/v4l2_h264_accelerator_chromium.cc -o obj/media/gpu/v4l2/v4l2/v4l2_h264_accelerator_chromium.o
In file included from ../../media/gpu/v4l2/v4l2_h264_accelerator_chromium.cc:5:
In file included from ../../media/gpu/v4l2/v4l2_h264_accelerator_chromium.h:13:
In file included from ../../media/gpu/h264_decoder.h:16:
In file included from ../../base/memory/ref_counted.h:19:
In file included from ../../base/sequence_checker.h:9:
../../base/sequence_checker_impl.h:27:48: warning: invalid capability name 'context'; capability name must be 'mutex' or 'role' [-Wthread-safety-attributes]
class THREAD_ANNOTATION_ATTRIBUTE__(capability("context"))
                                               ^
In file included from ../../media/gpu/v4l2/v4l2_h264_accelerator_chromium.cc:5:
In file included from ../../media/gpu/v4l2/v4l2_h264_accelerator_chromium.h:13:
In file included from ../../media/gpu/h264_decoder.h:16:
In file included from ../../base/memory/ref_counted.h:19:
../../base/sequence_checker.h:103:48: warning: invalid capability name 'context'; capability name must be 'mutex' or 'role' [-Wthread-safety-attributes]
class THREAD_ANNOTATION_ATTRIBUTE__(capability("context"))
                                               ^
../../media/gpu/v4l2/v4l2_h264_accelerator_chromium.cc:12:10: fatal error: 'linux/media/h264-ctrls.h' file not found
#include <linux/media/h264-ctrls.h>

back2future

Post by back2future »

(just for information: Developer for Panfrost are even on Valhall gpu level for implementing hardware, but lack hardware on development board level. Requirements are high (compared to todays widely available SoC's) >=A77(>=A76/A55) cores and >=G77(G57/G68) gpu.
Some might miss some open source gpu monitoring tools, like something comparable to streamline/gator for aarch64?)
There was some performance interaction between video rendering and glmark2 benchmark, what pointed me towards mesa libraries (https://docs.mesa3d.org/drivers/vc4.html) also.
brad wrote: don't necessarily judge video performance but check cpu usage, there should almost be none with GPU and vdec both working together
agree <=1080p resolution, Did you try 2160p/4k (above optimized hardware @~60fps, 32bit colors, cpu % on mpv comparable to 1080p (or slightly increased), but framedrops massively increase)?

(vulkaninfo shows software rendering information, @the.moment)
and Thx @all

FYI, i did experience a problem with Wayfire desktop, if RAM demand exceeds availability and swapping is needed. 5.11 Kernel from ArchLinux. It is not about write access on rootfs, but read accesses can get into GByte-TByte if a fast storage media (>50-100MB/s) is included (would not recommend to leave Wayfire idling for hours, with applications slowly increasing memory demand over time, at least not without attention to swapping activity). If it's related to amount of gpu reserved/shared memory, i could not verify (so maybe loosely related to graphics configuration?).

wallyz21
ODROIDs: N2

Post by wallyz21 »

Has anyone tried any vulcan performance testing?
Walter Zambotti
N2 - Ubuntu Mate Desktop

Return to “General Topics”