Moving on, maybe?

macey
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: 2 odroid u3

Moving on, maybe?

Post by macey »

I started off with SOC computing with the raspberry Pi, since then, I've been a firm fan of Odroid, had around 5 of mine and implemented a number of servers for friends and relatives. Due to difficulties with my local supplier (trying to enforce a three month warranty on me here in the UK where we have statuary rights of 12 months minimum) I am looking at alternative SOC machines. Not less than N2 specifications. Recommendations please. Thanks.
Last edited by macey on Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Re: Moving on, maybe?

Post by mad_ady »

I'm not sure, but I think pollin offers a 1 year warranty. Do they ship to uk?

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Post by mctom »

https://kamami.pl/en/odroid-computers/5 ... esults=230
Honestly, the suppliers list is so long it's hard not to get what you want these days.

Personally I struggle to find anything faster than N2+ itself (and below €200).
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

If the rk3588 ever gets released it may outperform the N2, right now isn't a great time to find inexpensive SBC.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Apparently A76 can squeeze out almost twice as much DMIPS/MHz compared to A73 (Wiki table lists that, and my benchmarks confirmed these figures so far). So yes, that would be a significant change, but not groundbreaking in my opinion. Still, can't disagree that it would be indeed faster than N2+.

A55 cores is something not worth taking into account really.. Nice to have to save some power, but doesn't have much of an impact on overall performance.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

macey
ODROIDs: 2 odroid u3

Post by macey »

To clarify, I'm not looking for more CPU power than N2. Just looking for an alternative that's as good. What about the current Pi?

mctom

Post by mctom »

"Not less than N2 specifications" is quite a broad term. ;)

I use Raspberry Pi 4s in my compute cluster (sadly, the cheapest option per FLOPS in Europe), although it is not an SBC faster than N2+ by no means.
Many people find them perfect, but I'm not quite one of them.

The USB-C connector for providing power is a dumb idea, so I designed PiStackMon to walk around this issue.
WiFi generally doesn't work with Bluetooth at the same time.
Audio output you may as well treat as nonexistent, it's that bad.
There is no community to help you out unless your problem may be solved by buying a new unit or reinstalling official 32-bit OS.
They overheat by design and you're forced to find your own cooling solution.
Sure they have an 8GB RAM option, but keep in mind it's DDR3, not DDR4 found in N2+.
Both OS and hardware are closed source. It's not only a question of ethics, but also a major burden when you attempt to fix anything.
Doesn't matter that much in terms of hardware, because Pi4 is built from custom components you can't buy anyway. Yep, even LAN controller and PMIC are custom.
MicroHDMI output, as if anyone actually has a cable fitting that.
No eMMC option, unless you go for Pi4 Compute Module with a decent IO board (in that case, no SD card support). MirkoPC is a cool project that makes Pi4CM usable.

All in all it appears that RPF tries to push as many accessories they can to keep up their business. Pi4 is useless on its own - you need to get a heatsink or case with a fan, microHDMI adapter, USB3.0 PSU (the official one of course, otherwise you will be denied any community support), and install their 32-bit or 64-bit OS in eternal Beta state to make it work. Or Ubuntu Server, which is the way to go for me.
Oh, and you will be selling your data to Microsoft (they added MS repositories to APT and deleted all forum threads about it). Most people don't have any problem with that.

Anyway, RPF is something I would invest money in - but in stocks rather than getting their gear. I suspect it's getting ready to be acquired by Microsoft. ;)
These users thanked the author mctom for the post (total 2):
macey (Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:12 pm) • tobetter (Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:36 pm)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

macey wrote:To clarify, I'm not looking for more CPU power than N2. Just looking for an alternative that's as good. What about the current Pi?
I simply meant that it should be as fast or possibly faster, I don't know of an SBC in the same price bracket of the N2 which performs as well. That's why it's such a popular device.

I don't have a Pi 4 so I can't speak on the performance, I do know without proper cooling it throttles and is much slower than when operating at peak speeds.

Return to “General Topics”