[Please Help] Ubuntu 21.04 Causes Monitor 'No Signal'

kepler22b
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Ordoid HC4
Been thanked: 0

[Please Help] Ubuntu 21.04 Causes Monitor 'No Signal'

Post by kepler22b »

Afternoon,

Before today i have been running and booting to Ubuntu 21.04 on the HC4 absolutely fine. This afternoon we experienced a few powercuts and now i cannot seem to get Ubuntu to boot at all.

I am able to access petiteboot and navigate that fine, but as soon as i attempt to boot to Ubuntu, the screen loses signal and however long i leave it nothing seems to happen. I also seem to be unable to access Ubuntu's grub/recovery mode - has anyone got a method for this?

Any help/ideas would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks,

Edit: i should note, i am able to boot to another drive which has Ubuntu 20.04 on, but which i had recently stopped using due to issues with the drives capacity. My issue definitely appears to be with this image of Ubuntu 21.04.

L67GS
languages_spoken: English, Jibberish, Pig Latin
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Re: [Please Help] Ubuntu 21.04 Causes Monitor 'No Signal'

Post by L67GS »

I've had a couple of eMMC modules get weird after power loss crashes. I fixed them with my big computer using gnome-disk-utility. It sounds like filesystem corruption.
These users thanked the author L67GS for the post:
kepler22b (Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:29 am)

kepler22b

Post by kepler22b »

L67GS wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:57 am
I've had a couple of eMMC modules get weird after power loss crashes. I fixed them with my big computer using gnome-disk-utility. It sounds like filesystem corruption.
appreciate the respone.

I was fearing it was corrupt but was hoping there was something that could be done to save it. when you say 'fixed them' did you reformat the drives or were you able to fix the OS and reboot to it?

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Post by mctom »

I think that a corrupt filesystem has good chances of being fixed, but do not take it from granted. Sure, reainstalling the whole thing surely will work, but try applying filesystem repair procedures first.
These users thanked the author mctom for the post:
kepler22b (Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:36 am)
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

kepler22b wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:29 am
L67GS wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:57 am
appreciate the respone.

I was fearing it was corrupt but was hoping there was something that could be done to save it. when you say 'fixed them' did you reformat the drives or were you able to fix the OS and reboot to it?
Right click on the filesystem in gnome-disk-utility and repair is an option. If it's just filesystem corruption it should be back to normal afterwards.
You can pull data from the eMMC and reload it, then restore your data if it doesn't work.
Once you get a good thing going consider pulling your own image for later use.
kepler22b (Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:36 am)

kepler22b

Post by kepler22b »

Hi both,

Thanks for your help.

I have just tried to repair the filesystem as suggested and it reports the repair was successful but sadly it still will not boot.

Any other ideas?

Many thansk

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

Pull the stuff you care about into a folder, reflash the image. I'd recommend loading an image on an 8G eMMC, then installing all your stuff to it. Then pull the image onto your PC using the DD method mad_ady showed me:

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/dev/sdX of=/path/to/backup.img bs=1M
Afterwards you'll be able to flash that 8G image on whatever card using etcher, if you use a BIG eMMC, you get a BIG restore image unless you get fancy resizing it so....
kepler22b (Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:01 am)

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Post by mctom »

Or to makes matters easier, just copy files you care about somewhere else, reinstall the system on eMMC and then put your stuff back where it belongs.
Your personal files are in /home, most of global settings are in /etc, and programs, well, that's a better idea to actually reinstall them manually. It's not that much of a hassle with apt, and you'll get an update at the same time. :)
These users thanked the author mctom for the post:
kepler22b (Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:02 am)
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

kepler22b

Post by kepler22b »

As I'm sure you've probably noticed, im not particularly savvy on linux and it took me quite some time to get my install of Ubuntu working the way I wanted without reoccurring errors. The drive (which was a 2.5" HDD - a temporary solution) does not contain any valuable files, merely a third attempt at a working server for the use of Plex. I'm going to attempt to backup the img, format the drive and then reflash the img to see if that helps. If not, I think I will have to simply start again which will be a massive pain and mean my server will be down for another week or so (friends and family will not be too happy 😁) nevertheless, thanks so much for your help. Any other ideas before I simply start again are always welcome.

Return to β€œUbuntu”