MC1 Issue

RubixNoob13
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Xu4, Go, MC1
Been thanked: 0

MC1 Issue

Post by RubixNoob13 »

Hello! This may be a noob question, but I recently purchased an MC1 cluster, which according to all of the information I can find says is compatible with the xu4 images.

If I use the image from the article here: https://magazine.odroid.com/article/odr ... ted-guide/ I am able to see the unit on my network, however this is an older linux image, so I am trying to set up using one of the 18.04 mate or 20.04 mate images.

I'm sort of a linux noob and not having a lot of luck.

I have downloaded the image here: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_i ... e/20200818
Edited /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-greeter-wrapper.conf to include the following at the end of the file:
[SeatDefaults]
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
autologin-user=odroid

My understanding is that now when I turn on the MC1 with that SDcard in one of the nodes and connected via ethernet (the same as how I can see it on ssh on the initial image), it should be visible on my network and I should be able to ssh into it. However, it never appears on the network when this card is in my MC1.

If I plug the _same_ SDcard into my xu4, it will boot and show up on the network. It's only in the MC1 that it doesn't seem to boot on, but the MC1 will boot off a different image. According to the downloads page: "XU4 OS image is fully compatible with HC1, MC1 and XU3." So I'm at a loss as to what else I need to do. Unless the MC1 is having an issue because it has no hdmi output and maybe the auto-login tries to go to the mate desktop?

Are there any other steps I should take? I'd like to be able to log into the cluster, as once I am able to connect to it I can configure/install things, just currently not able to get into it except on the older Linux image.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions!

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Re: MC1 Issue

Post by mad_ady »

Why don't you try the minimal image instead?

RubixNoob13

Post by RubixNoob13 »

I did also attempt the minimal image and haven't been able to get that one to work yet, either. I think in total I've attempted 5 OS images, and so far the only one that works is the one that is from the article on building a Docker Swarm.

I guess a more specific example of what I would really like to do might be helpful. I think I jumped into this project head first without doing as much research as I should.

I saw a video of someone setting up network rendering for blender on Raspberry Pi. I have a couple of Xu4 boards and was going on the understanding that they're the same as the MC1 boards, so I should be able to run blender on them and use them for this (nevermind whether or not they'll be super effective at this, just want to configure and set it up as a hobby project more than anything)

So I can boot into the 16.04.7 image which was set up for docker swarm. I can install blender, which is version 2.76b which supports network render addon. However, when I try to run blender from the command line on the MC1, it says: "Unable to open a display, Aborted"

I know the MC1 doesn't have an HDMI connection on it, and the image that I am able to boot doesn't seem to have any of the lightdm config, so I assume it has no desktop manager. I was still under the understanding that the MC1 *should* be able to boot into a desktop environment, even if that's not necessarily the most practical usage of them?

So I was attempting to get the MC1 to boot off of a full ubuntu Mate installation in the hope that I'd be able to vnc into it, or launch blender without getting the "Unable to open a display" error, as I bought the MC1 specifically to try to set up this silly render farm idea, and I'd hate to have to see if I can RMA it over not being able to configure anything other than the 1 image that won't let me do what I'm trying to do with the unit.

Thanks!

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

Can you show me your boot.ini file?
If you edit a couple of lines, you can force the display output even there is no HDMI port on the MC1 by tweaking EDID and HPD configurations.

RubixNoob13

Post by RubixNoob13 »

Edit: Here it is:

Code: Select all

ODROIDXU-UBOOT-CONFIG

setenv initrd_high "0xffffffff"
setenv fdt_high "0xffffffff"
setenv macaddr "00:1e:06:61:7a:39"
setenv vout "hdmi"
setenv HPD "true"
setenv cecenable "false"
setenv disable_vu7 "false"
setenv ddr_freq 825
setenv external_watchdog "false"
setenv external_watchdog_debounce "3"

# Set load addresses
setenv dtb_loadaddr " 0x44000000"
setenv dtbo_addr_r "0x48000000"
setenv k_addr "0x40008000"
setenv initrd_loadaddr "0x42000000"
setenv config_addr_r "0x4B000000"
load mmc 0:1 ${config_addr_r} config.ini \
    && ini generic ${config_addr_r}

setenv hdmi_phy_control "HPD=${HPD} vout=${vout}"
if test "${cecenable}" = "false"; then fdt rm /soc/cec@101B0000; fi
if test "${disable_vu7}" = "false"; then setenv hid_quirks "usbhid.quirks=0x0eef:0x0005:0x0004"; fi
if test "${external_watchdog}" = "true"; then setenv external_watchdog "external_watchdog=${external_watchdog} external_watchdog_debounce=${external_watchdog_debounce}"; fi

# Boot Args
setenv bootargs "console=tty1 console=ttySAC2,115200n8 root=UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 rootwait ro fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 ${videoconfig} ${hdmi_phy_control} ${hid_quirks} smsc95xx.macaddr=${macaddr} ${external_watchdog}"

# Load kernel, initrd and dtb in that sequence
fatload mmc 0:1 ${k_addr} zImage
fatload mmc 0:1 ${initrd_loadaddr} uInitrd

setenv fdtloaded "false"
if test "x${board_name}" = "x"; then setenv board_name "xu4"; fi
if test "${board_name}" = "xu4"; then fatload mmc 0:1 ${dtb_loadaddr} exynos5422-odroidxu4.dtb; setenv fdtloaded "true"; fi
if test "${board_name}" = "xu3"; then fatload mmc 0:1 ${dtb_loadaddr} exynos5422-odroidxu3.dtb; setenv fdtloaded "true"; fi
if test "${board_name}" = "xu3l"; then fatload mmc 0:1 ${dtb_loadaddr} exynos5422-odroidxu3-lite.dtb; setenv fdtloaded "true"; fi
if test "${fdtloaded}" = "false"; then fatload mmc 0:1 ${dtb_loadaddr} exynos5422-odroidxu4.dtb; setenv fdtloaded "true"; fi

fdt addr ${dtb_loadaddr}

if test "x${overlay_profile}" != "x"; then
    ini overlay_${overlay_profile} ${config_addr_r}
fi

if test "x{overlays}" != "x"; then
    fdt resize ${overlay_resize}
    for overlay in ${overlays}; do
        load mmc 0:1 ${dtbo_addr_r} overlays/${overlay}.dtbo \
            && fdt apply ${dtbo_addr_r}
    done
fi

# DDR frequency
dmc ${ddr_freq}

# boot
bootz ${k_addr} ${initrd_loadaddr} ${dtb_loadaddr}
I haven't made any changes because as I said, I'm kind of a noob and don't want to break anything lol

Thanks again for the help!

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

I don't remember if HC1/MC1 use different dtbs than xu4.... Maybe force-loading the dtb would make the image fully boot.
For video out/gpu - yes, you should be able to use the gpu and use vnc with it.
Also, having the Hardkernel 1.8V usb-uart adapter is useful when troubleshooting boot issues.

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

Sorry. It should be config.ini file.
Try the following two items.

<1> Uncomment line 25 to force the HDMI output at 1080p/60Hz.

setenv videoconfig "drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/1920x1080.bin"
<2> Edit line 120 to disable HDMI cable Hot-Plug-Detection feature

HPD=false
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
RubixNoob13 (Tue May 18, 2021 1:12 pm)

RubixNoob13

Post by RubixNoob13 »

OMG thanks! Those 2 tweaks to the config were all it took for me to be able to see it and ssh into it! Thanks so much!

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

Happy to hear that. :D

Return to “Ubuntu”