Debian/Ubuntu Netboot Installer (Feat. Ubuntu Gnome Desktop with Wayland)

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Re: Debian/Ubuntu Netboot Installer (Feat. Ubuntu Gnome Desktop with Wayland)

Post by tobetter »

[20210226] New kernel 5.11 is coming

As I updated in another thread for Ubuntu 20.10, new kernel 5.11 for Ubuntu 20.04 is coming, hopefully it will happen before 1st/March EOD KST. Even though there is huge improvement about the Panfrost, it won't run on Ubuntu 20.04 since I made many packages with Ubuntu 20.04 to run ARM Mali Bifrost driver which makes me be difficult to manage the packages to run with Panfrost. So as I support Ubuntu 20.10, Panfrost will be available with Ubuntu 20.10 as well as 21.04 which is coming. In addition, support ARM Mali Bifrost wouldn't be supported to Ubuntu 20.10.

I am also preparing Ubuntu 21.04, have installed it today but nothing interesting as of now since it's still being developed...maybe new face of Ubuntu 21.04 would be available after 18/March, I will share the instruction to try when the time comes.

Also I am bit sad that ubuntu threads are very quiet whilist ArchLinux by @jgmdev is busy, looks like everyone is very enjoying Panfrost. Just remind you that even if there is no new update here and other threads, Debian/Ubuntu package updates are being progressed and always welcome your requests. :D
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 2):
odroid (Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:00 am) • istanbulls (Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:12 pm)

trwn2p
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2 Plus

Post by trwn2p »

With jgmdev's Arch builds I had to yank alot of his chosen crud out like zsh and set alot of things back to stock to be happy. I think that's what alot the activity is around. Getting his images to the state each user wants. Plus alot of misinfo around kernels and mesa versions (pfrost vs bifrost) just like you get. People don't read they just start mixing/matching wrong pkgs etc and have to come here to sort their builds out to get features working often having to reinstall after all of it. Same happens on UBU/Deb here.

I find your images since day one (after a few convo's to get UBU/Deb11 latest) just install and upgrade mostly smoothly. Very little fussing around. So they don't generate much trouble other than the above stuff peeps do to themselves. I'm looking forward to the 5.11 kern, Ubu 21.04 Gnome 40 and Deb 11 final for my LXQt .

You're doing good work and many get what they want and don't comment. That's what you want not a bunch of noise related to hacking/troubleshooting things imo. :)
These users thanked the author trwn2p for the post (total 2):
m_ueberall (Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:57 pm) • istanbulls (Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:12 pm)

rooted

Post by rooted »

It's also that technically oriented folk like bleeding edge, it's why I'm surprised gentoo/funtoo doesn't have a larger presence here. Likely due to limited CPU power and tons of compilation I suppose.

trwn2p

Post by trwn2p »

Yes definately that too. I think that rounds out the reasons pretty well. I build Linux from Scratch on the N2+ with the 4 big cores and 4GB ram with no problem at all. It's quite good for compiling.

amirul
ODROIDs: N2+

Post by amirul »

tobetter wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:16 am

As I updated in another thread for Ubuntu 20.10, new kernel 5.11 for Ubuntu 20.04 is coming, hopefully it will happen before 1st/March EOD KST. Even though there is huge improvement about the Panfrost, it won't run on Ubuntu 20.04 since I made many packages with Ubuntu 20.04 to run ARM Mali Bifrost driver which makes me be difficult to manage the packages to run with Panfrost. So as I support Ubuntu 20.10, Panfrost will be available with Ubuntu 20.10 as well as 21.04 which is coming. In addition, support ARM Mali Bifrost wouldn't be supported to Ubuntu 20.10.

I am also preparing Ubuntu 21.04, have installed it today but nothing interesting as of now since it's still being developed...maybe new face of Ubuntu 21.04 would be available after 18/March, I will share the instruction to try when the time comes.

Also I am bit sad that ubuntu threads are very quiet whilist ArchLinux by @jgmdev is busy, looks like everyone is very enjoying Panfrost. Just remin Stuffd you that even if there is no new update here and other threads, Debian/Ubuntu package updates are being progressed and always welcome your requests. :D
Don't be sad dude. Your work is so good that there is nothing to report except that it works fine :D I have 1 sdcard with bifrost and 1 with panfrost for the N2+ just waiting for kernel 5.11 to show up after apt update. Stuff just works so far. Thank you again for your great work.

odroidn2user
ODROIDs: N2, C4

Post by odroidn2user »

amirul wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:16 am
tobetter wrote:

Also I am bit sad that ubuntu threads are very quiet whilist ArchLinux by @jgmdev is busy, looks like everyone is very enjoying Panfrost. Just remin Stuffd you that even if there is no new update here and other threads, Debian/Ubuntu package updates are being progressed and always welcome your requests. :D
Don't be sad dude. Your work is so good that there is nothing to report except that it works fine :D I have 1 sdcard with bifrost and 1 with panfrost for the N2+ just waiting for kernel 5.11 to show up after apt update. Stuff just works so far. Thank you again for your great work.
I have to second that. It seems pretty clear to me this is the go to image for the N2. It is pretty much the place to be, and everything is pretty smooth - as far as it can.
Also, it looks to me that without your work, the arch image probably wouldn't have happened.

There are some minor issues but...
The tobetter ubuntu image is pretty much a working desktop environment, ready and usable for daily use.

The only thing which still annoys me about the package is the monitor driver, which messes with the picture quality a little bit.
But that appears to be a monitor specific thing, not a general issue. And not easy to solve.

Other than that, a fully working new ubuntu distribution tailor made for the N2, with GPU hardware acceleration and up-to-date and daily improving drivers....
What more could one want...

istanbulls
languages_spoken: Turkish
ODROIDs: ODROID; N2, C4, XU4, N2+, CH4

Post by istanbulls »

odroidn2user wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:22 pm

I want to want something. :D
Widevine DRM for Firefox. I've been waiting for a long time, I crossed my fingers. :)

rooted

Post by rooted »

trwn2p wrote:Yes definately that too. I think that rounds out the reasons pretty well. I build Linux from Scratch on the N2+ with the 4 big cores and 4GB ram with no problem at all. It's quite good for compiling.
I more meant that every update must be compiled and there are tons of updates, recompiling world would take a long time on any SBC.
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
istanbulls (Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:59 am)

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

istanbulls wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:46 pm
odroidn2user wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:22 pm

I want to want something. :D
Widevine DRM for Firefox. I've been waiting for a long time, I crossed my fingers. :)
Ha! Yeah, if they don't really want me to be able see it, I'll pass on it.
Besides, companies like Netflix and other Widevine services are featuring pure garbage these days.
But that is clearly a very subjective opinion.

Besides, I understand there are some snap packages for Chromium with widevine, I understand.
I imagine that would work for the N2 as well.
These users thanked the author odroidn2user for the post:
istanbulls (Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:59 am)

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

odroidn2user wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:55 am
Ha! Yeah, if they don't really want me to be able see it, I'll pass on it.
Besides, companies like Netflix and other Widevine services are featuring pure garbage these days.
But that is clearly a very subjective opinion.

Besides, I understand there are some snap packages for Chromium with widevine, I understand.
I imagine that would work for the N2 as well.
I agree with you on Netflix. Long Live Torrent brotherhood
However, the film industry has stopped due to the Pandemic, unfortunately there is a shortage of good movies.
But I need DRM for Spotify. I'm using DRM with docker-chromium-armhf but I'm having trouble with sound. When I open Spotify through docker, there is no sound in other browser or any player or vice versa.

Is there a better method you know, I would appreciate it if you share it.

wallyz21
ODROIDs: N2

Post by wallyz21 »

tobetter wrote:

Also I am bit sad that ubuntu threads are very quiet whilist ArchLinux by @jgmdev is busy, looks like everyone is very enjoying Panfrost. Just remind you that even if there is no new update here and other threads, Debian/Ubuntu package updates are being progressed and always welcome your requests. :D
In that case. Thanks!!! I find your contributions excellent.

Very much looking forward to future efforts.

My setup is N2 :

Linux odroid-n2 5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Ubuntu 5.10.12-202102040913~groovy (2021-02-04) aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.10
Release: 20.10
Codename: groovy

Running MATE. System is smooth as silk. glmark2 is at 463.

I have an N2+ as well but that is still running 18.04 un-accelerated.

Regards

Walter
Walter Zambotti
N2 - Ubuntu Mate Desktop

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

[20210301] New kernel 5.11 is uploaded...

As mentioned several days ago, new kernel (v5.11.1) has been switched to the default kernel.

Please do run these commands in order to update your new kernel.

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt dist-upgrade
New kernel v5.11 won't change the features significantly for ODROID, since this version would be the default kernel for coming Ubuntu 21.04 it's good to follow up. Also I appreciate your all encouraging mesage to me, happy to see many users are happy with ODROID regardless my Ubuntu/Debian packages or @jgmdev's ArchDroid. ;)
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 2):
istanbulls (Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:05 pm) • wallyz21 (Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:23 pm)

wallyz21

Post by wallyz21 »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:46 pm

As mentioned several days ago, new kernel (v5.11.1) has been switched to the default kernel.

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt dist-upgrade
New kernel v5.11 won't change the features significantly for ODROID, since this version would be the default kernel for coming Ubuntu 21.04 it's good to follow up. Also I appreciate your all encouraging mesage to me, happy to see many users are happy with ODROID regardless my Ubuntu/Debian packages or @jgmdev's ArchDroid. ;)
Tested and great!

Super Tux Kart is working better. Still a few issues but I can play the game now.

Fantastic effort.

I just noticed its not a specific panfrost kernel and it's working well.

Linux odroid-n2 5.11.0-odroid-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Ubuntu 5.11.1-202102250221~groovy (2021-02-24) aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
Walter Zambotti
N2 - Ubuntu Mate Desktop

wallyz21

Post by wallyz21 »

@tobetter

Would it be possible to use this 5.11 kernel to do a dist-upgrade of the HK 18.04 Ubuntu? It seems quite stable!!!
Walter Zambotti
N2 - Ubuntu Mate Desktop

amirul

Post by amirul »

tobetter wrote:

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt dist-upgrade
Not happening for me

$ sudo apt update
Hit:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian stable InRelease                            
Hit:2 http://deb.debian.org/debian stable-updates InRelease                    
Hit:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian-security stable/updates InRelease           
Get:4 http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr groovy InRelease [21.0 kB]                 
Hit:5 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports groovy InRelease                    
Hit:6 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports groovy-updates InRelease
Fetched 21.0 kB in 2s (12.3 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.
I can see it

$ apt list linux-image-5.11*
Listing... Done
linux-image-5.11.0-odroid-arm64/stable 5.11.1-202102250221~groovy arm64
Had to do this

$ sudo apt install linux-image-5.11.0-odroid-arm64
reboot
$ uname -a
Linux n2plus-pf 5.11.0-odroid-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Ubuntu 5.11.1-202102250221~groovy (2021-02-24) aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

amirul wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:03 pm
tobetter wrote:

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt dist-upgrade
Not happening for me

$ sudo apt update
Building dependency tree       
I can see it

Listing... Done
Had to do this

reboot
$ uname -a
Linux n2plus-pf 5.11.0-odroid-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Ubuntu 5.11.1-202102250221~groovy (2021-02-24) aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
Strange...why do you have the repository setup to access Debian and Ubuntu both?
Did you add Debian repository by yourself?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

wallyz21 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:25 pm
@tobetter

Would it be possible to use this 5.11 kernel to do a dist-upgrade of the HK 18.04 Ubuntu? It seems quite stable!!!
Sorry, not really...since HK 18.04 Ubuntu image has different partition layout and the kernel package what I am building and providing is to be installed by the package flash-kernel from Debian and it assumes that the boot partition is ext2 or ext4 in order to manage file with softlink while HK Ubuntu image uses FAT. Do you need Ubuntu 18.04 or any specific feature shipped with HK Ubuntu 18.04?

amirul

Post by amirul »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:18 am
amirul wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:03 pm
tobetter wrote:

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt dist-upgrade
Not happening for me

$ sudo apt update
Building dependency tree       
I can see it

Listing... Done
Had to do this

reboot
$ uname -a
Strange...why do you have the repository setup to access Debian and Ubuntu both?
Did you add Debian repository by yourself?
Yes, added to get chromium from there.
Now that 5.11 is running well here, is it OK to kernel upgrade the bifrost sdcard?

trwn2p

Post by trwn2p »

Yup I had to use sudo apt install too.
Host: deb11-lxqt Kernel: 5.11.0-odroid-arm64 aarch64 bits: 64 Desktop: LXQt 0.16.1
Distro: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid Machine: Type: ARM Device System: Hardkernel ODROID-N2Plus

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

trwn2p wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:57 am
Yup I had to use sudo apt install too.
Host: deb11-lxqt Kernel: 5.11.0-odroid-arm64 aarch64 bits: 64 Desktop: LXQt 0.16.1
Distro: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid Machine: Type: ARM Device System: Hardkernel ODROID-N2Plus
Do you have the package "linux-image-generic" installed?

wallyz21

Post by wallyz21 »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:20 am
wallyz21 wrote:
@tobetter

Sorry, not really...since HK 18.04 Ubuntu image has different partition layout and the kernel package what I am building and providing is to be installed by the package flash-kernel from Debian and it assumes that the boot partition is ext2 or ext4 in order to manage file with softlink while HK Ubuntu image uses FAT. Do you need Ubuntu 18.04 or any specific feature shipped with HK Ubuntu 18.04?
Not really. Just looking for an easy upgrade path. I think I'll just back up my user data to another drive and start from scratch again and then restore my data.

I assume the HK 20,04 image is the same as the 18.04 in relation EXT vs FAT?
Walter Zambotti
N2 - Ubuntu Mate Desktop

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

wallyz21 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:51 am
tobetter wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:20 am
wallyz21 wrote:
@tobetter

Not really. Just looking for an easy upgrade path. I think I'll just back up my user data to another drive and start from scratch again and then restore my data.

I assume the HK 20,04 image is the same as the 18.04 in relation EXT vs FAT?
Hardkernel's Ubuntu image uses FAT (boot) + EXT4 (root) combo.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
wallyz21 (Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:24 pm)

amirul

Post by amirul »

Successfully installed kernel 5.11 on bifrost image with ubuntu-wayland :D

$ lsmod |grep mali
mali_kbase            557056  4
$ uname -a
Linux n2plus 5.11.0-odroid-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Ubuntu 5.11.1-202102250221~groovy (2021-02-24) aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
These users thanked the author amirul for the post:
tobetter (Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:09 pm)

trwn2p

Post by trwn2p »

@tobettr Here's the previous installed kernel:
linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64/stable,now 5.10.12-202102040913~bullseye arm64 [installed]
Cleared out all but 5.11 kernel above. What's the header pkg name for it? I see a couple 5.11 choices.

ls /boot/
System.map-5.11.0-odroid-arm64  config.ini               initrd.img                      vmlinuz
boot.scr                        dtb                      initrd.img-5.11.0-odroid-arm64  vmlinuz-5.11.0-odroid-arm64
boot.scr.bak                    dtb-5.11.0-odroid-arm64  initrd.img.old                  vmlinuz.old
config-5.11.0-odroid-arm64      dtbs  

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

trwn2p wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:26 am
@tobettr Here's the previous installed kernel:
linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64/stable,now 5.10.12-202102040913~bullseye arm64 [installed]
Cleared out all but 5.11 kernel above. What's the header pkg name for it? I see a couple 5.11 choices.

ls /boot/
System.map-5.11.0-odroid-arm64  config.ini               initrd.img                      vmlinuz
boot.scr                        dtb                      initrd.img-5.11.0-odroid-arm64  vmlinuz-5.11.0-odroid-arm64
boot.scr.bak                    dtb-5.11.0-odroid-arm64  initrd.img.old                  vmlinuz.old
config-5.11.0-odroid-arm64      dtbs  
For the header package, run "sudo apt install linux-headers-generic" or "sudo apt install linux-headers-5.11.0-odroid-arm64". I believe the first command will work.

trwn2p

Post by trwn2p »

Ok. All set (latest kernel) on both of my UBU/DEB os's with panfrost. Thanks.

Bad_bt
Been thanked: 0

Post by Bad_bt »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:52 pm
I checked the log but not found anything wrong, I guess you messed up something while installing and following up the instruction I gave you. You should better to install again to another memory card if it's 5.10 kernel problem or something else.
I found out what the problem was, so I'm posting it in case it helps others in the future.

I installed kernel 5.11 and Ubuntu was still not booting, it only booted with kernel 5.9 so I figured I had no other option than to do a fresh install. I did a Netboot install (exit to shell in Petitboot and run netboot_default), installation went okay, and it boots in about 50% of cases. Much better than not booting 5.10 or 5.11 at all, but still not reliable enough. I decided to try the 20.04 kernel 5.11 image from tobetter's docs.linuxfactory.or.kr but it was worse than Netboot install; it booted to desktop in only about 10% of cases. I started thinking that maybe my Odroid was broken.

Then I decided to replace the USB to SATA adapter I was using for my SSD, and it booted every single time!

The replacement adapter is a cheap generic one I got originally, with slower speeds (it supports only Bulk-Only Transport) and no support for external power supply.

The adapter I've been using until now was this one with a Micron JMS578 controller with support for UAS protocol and it's own 12V 2A power supply. I've been using it for 6 months with no issues until now. I also used it to connect the SSD to PC to create a backup of my data before reinstalling Ubuntu. Maybe the adapter and/or the power supply got damaged, but that doesn't explain why it worked on 5.9 (and older) and kernels up to 5.10.12, but wouldn't work with 5.10.16 and 5.11 - if it were broken, it wouldn't work at all, regardless of the kernel version. I noticed that with the cheaper adapter Petitboot recognizes Ubuntu instantly (as opposed to 20-30 seconds with the "better" adapter) and Ubuntu is much faster at booting and shutting down, even if the max read/write speeds are lower.

I know it sounds ridiculous. Anyway, I'm glad to be able to use my Odroid again.

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

Boot from SDD works flawlessly after new kernel 5.11.
On every new boot attempt, the system starts on the first try.

n2p@odroid:~$ uname -a
Linux odroid 5.11.0-odroid-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Ubuntu 5.11.2-202103041610~groovy (2021-03-04) aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
n2p@odroid:~$
Attachments
indir.jpeg
indir.jpeg (9.13 KiB) Viewed 1946 times

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

Yeah, the dist-upgrade did not find the 5.11 kernel, but the manual install line posted above worked for me. Booted into 5.11 just fine.
It boots, audio works nicely, panfrost going, all seems responsive, network working, 5.11 looks good to me!

I am wondering, what is the 'trick' with enabling hardware video decoding?
Was thinking about checking out the progress on that one.
I've been trying with MPV, but no go? I remember seeing it going before, but now not so much?
Trying to get hwdec going on ubuntu tobetter 20.10, panfrost, gnome, x11 with mpv.

(Also, the bright color thing / sharpening / processing artifacts on my monitor, still there, so the meson hdmi driver not fixed quite yet.)

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

istanbulls wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:59 am
But I need DRM for Spotify. I'm using DRM with docker-chromium-armhf but I'm having trouble with sound. When I open Spotify through docker, there is no sound in other browser or any player or vice versa.

Is there a better method you know, I would appreciate it if you share it.
It seems someone figured out how to get sound back.
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/widevine-in-arm/34657/26
There is more settings stuff in the thread before the linked post.

Not sure if that applies to ubuntu and tobetter's work as well, but you could give the above a look / try.
These users thanked the author odroidn2user for the post:
istanbulls (Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:03 am)

joejjeman
languages_spoken: english,swedish
ODROIDs: Odroid C2
Has thanked: 0

Post by joejjeman »

If i will try this.. where to start? the links on page1 doesnt work?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

joejjeman wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:15 am
If i will try this.. where to start? the links on page1 doesnt work?
Firstly, move the boot select switch to SPI. The boot select switch is at fron next to eMMC slot, and you must make sure your N2 boot with power cycle.
Secondly, when you boot your N2, connect USB keyboard and HDMI TV (1080P if possible) also ethernet cable. Go for Exit to shell and run netboot_default then exit to the screen Petitboot, you will have Netboot Installer entries to select.
Lastly, when you select Netboot Installer (Debian/Ubuntu), it will start to boot and shows you the installation screen.

If you face any step in between, please let me know where you are stuck and good to have a picture or error message.

dimi3

Post by dimi3 »

I installed debian 10 server via netinstall everything is running smoothly. The only issue im having is that if i issue a reboot system doesn't reboot but hangs ( dont even get to SPI boot). Im booting from USB disk using kernel 5.11. If I cycle power system boots normally and everything is running ok. I had the same issue with Armbian, so I tried this one. Is this a know issue? Thanks.

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

dimi3 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:50 pm
I installed debian 10 server via netinstall everything is running smoothly. The only issue im having is that if i issue a reboot system doesn't reboot but hangs ( dont even get to SPI boot). Im booting from USB disk using kernel 5.11. If I cycle power system boots normally and everything is running ok. I had the same issue with Armbian, so I tried this one. Is this a know issue? Thanks.
This peoblem is valid for all versions of Ubuntu and Debian covering 5.11.08.

dimi3

Post by dimi3 »

thanks for heads up...i hope that fix will come :) till then will limit my reboots :)

trilock
ODROIDs: n2 plus

Post by trilock »

Hi i had this running smoothly last few days. i updated today and now ssd will not boot? just wondering anyone else have same ?

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

The 5.11.9 update works very nice and fast. The only problem is it is not restarting or shutdown we have to pull the plug.

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

With the 5.11.14 update the reboot problem has been fixed.
The reboot or shutdown processes for both debian and ubuntu work as they should.

Thanks @tobetter
These users thanked the author istanbulls for the post (total 2):
amirul (Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:50 am) • odroid (Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:53 am)

Bad_bt

Post by Bad_bt »

After running sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade today, I had an update for odroid-base 5:3+202105031231~focal, with the following error output:

Hit:1 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports focal InRelease
Get:2 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports focal-updates InRelease [114 kB]
Hit:3 https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/code stable InRelease                        
Get:4 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports focal-updates/main arm64 DEP-11 Metadata [265 kB]
Get:5 http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr focal InRelease [21.2 kB] 
Get:6 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports focal-updates/universe arm64 DEP-11 Metadata [302 kB]
Fetched 702 kB in 3s (254 kB/s)                                                                           
Building dependency tree       
2 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
Building dependency tree       
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  odroid-base odroid-grub2
2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 7212 B of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr focal/main arm64 odroid-base arm64 5:3+202105031231~focal [4712 B]
Get:2 http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr focal/main arm64 odroid-grub2 arm64 5:3+202105031231~focal [2500 B]
Fetched 7212 B in 2s (4565 B/s)       
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 129961 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../odroid-base_5%3a3+202105031231~focal_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking odroid-base (5:3+202105031231~focal) over (5:3+202102212206~focal) ...
Preparing to unpack .../odroid-grub2_5%3a3+202105031231~focal_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking odroid-grub2 (5:3+202105031231~focal) over (5:3+202102212206~focal) ...
Setting up odroid-base (5:3+202105031231~focal) ...
sed: can't read /etc/default/irqbalance: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package odroid-base (--configure):
 installed odroid-base package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
Setting up odroid-grub2 (5:3+202105031231~focal) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 odroid-base
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I downloaded the odroid-base_3+202105031231~focal_arm64.deb, and inside /control/postinst found the following function:

setup_default_irqbalance() {
	case $(odroid_model_simple) in
		odroidn2*)
			sed -i "s/^#IRQBALANCE_BANNED_CPUS=.*/IRQBALANCE_BANNED_CPUS=3/g" /etc/default/irqbalance
			;;
		*)
			;;
	esac
}
I didn't have a file /etc/default/irqbalance, so I ran:

sudo touch /etc/default/irqbalance
sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade
Hit:1 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports focal InRelease
Hit:2 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports focal-updates InRelease
Hit:3 https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/code stable InRelease
Get:4 http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr focal InRelease [21.2 kB]
Fetched 21.2 kB in 3s (7159 B/s)                           
Building dependency tree       
Building dependency tree       
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up odroid-base (5:3+202105031231~focal) ...
I ran the following to do the work of the sed command from setup_default_irqbalance():

sudo nano /etc/default/irqbalance
IRQBALANCE_BANNED_CPUS=3
I hope I didn't screw anything up

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

@Bad_bt, sorry for making the problem and thank you for the update.
I've pushed the new change and started to build it, the fix will be updated soon. The change you've tried won't affect or mess up anything.
Bad_bt (Tue May 04, 2021 2:36 am)

deuteragenie

Post by deuteragenie »

What is the intention of "IRQBALANCE_BANNED_CPUS=3" ?
I read from HK that "We assigned USB 3.0 IRQ handler to the fifth core (a big core) and Ethernet IRQ handler to the last(sixth) core(another big core)."
So presumably, the banned CPUs pattern should be 111100 in binary, or 3C in hexadecimal ?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

deuteragenie wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:10 pm
What is the intention of "IRQBALANCE_BANNED_CPUS=3" ?
I read from HK that "We assigned USB 3.0 IRQ handler to the fifth core (a big core) and Ethernet IRQ handler to the last(sixth) core(another big core)."
So presumably, the banned CPUs pattern should be 111100 in binary, or 3C in hexadecimal ?
I think this can explain for you.
https://fordodone.com/2015/04/30/irqbal ... ntu-14-04/
deuteragenie (Tue May 04, 2021 5:46 pm)

deuteragenie

Post by deuteragenie »

Thanks !

So many contradictory info... In that article, they say the high CPUs are on the left.
So the pattern to allow only IRQs on the big CPUs would be 001111, which is F in hexadecimal.

Did you actually test the value "3" ? (vs 3C or F as I mentioned above ?)

In short, in the mask, a value of "1" indicates that IRQs are disabled for that CPU. And we know that IRQs for USB and the network are on the last two CPUs.
What we do not know for sure is the bit order. Hence, the mask must be either "111100" or "001111".

https://linux.die.net/man/1/irqbalance seems to indicate that high bits represent high CPUs, so presumably the value "001111", of F in hexadecimal is the correct one.

That should limit IRQs to run on the big cores, so presumably provide a speed boost. However, IRQs will still be able to "hop" between these two cores.

Maybe it is possible to enable IRQ affinity to ensure that all USB IRQs will be served by the first big core, and all network IRQs will be served by the second core ?

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/ ... inity.html

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

deuteragenie wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:38 pm
Thanks !

So many contradictory info... In that article, they say the high CPUs are on the left.
So the pattern to allow only IRQs on the big CPUs would be 001111, which is F in hexadecimal.

In short, in the mask, a value of "1" indicates that IRQs are disabled for that CPU. And we know that IRQs for USB and the network are on the last two CPUs.
What we do not know for sure is the bit order. Hence, the mask must be either "111100" or "001111".

https://linux.die.net/man/1/irqbalance seems to indicate that high bits represent high CPUs, so presumably the value "001111", of F in hexadecimal is the correct one.
deuteragenie wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:38 pm
Thanks !

"The high CPU" does not mean the CPU frequency, articles said that bit masked core will prevent interrupts.
Screenshot from 2021-05-04 18-00-44.png
Screenshot from 2021-05-04 18-00-44.png (73.04 KiB) Viewed 95 times
This is from ODROID-N2/N2Plus, it literally presents that CPU core 0 and 1 are Cortex A53 and 2-5 are Cortex A73 therefore I believe 0x3 is right value, it works on my tests that irq counts hit only CPU2-5.
https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/blob/ ... rm-cpus.in

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo 
processor       : 0
BogoMIPS        : 48.00
Features        : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32 cpuid
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 8
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xd03
CPU revision    : 4

processor       : 1
CPU part        : 0xd03
CPU revision    : 4

processor       : 2
CPU part        : 0xd09
CPU revision    : 2

processor       : 3

processor       : 4

processor       : 5

deuteragenie

Post by deuteragenie »

Thanks again,

So CPU 0 and CPU 1 are the A53. If you want to enable all interrupts on these, the mask should be 111100 (with 1 meaning "prevent interrupts on this CPU").
Then the Hexadecimal value is 3C, no ?

You wrote "...it works on my tests that irq counts hit only CPU2-5....". I guess this is the "issue". Don't you want to limit IRQs to the A53s ?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

deuteragenie wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:50 pm
Thanks again,

So CPU 0 and CPU 1 are the A53. If you want to enable all interrupts on these, the mask should be 111100 (with 1 meaning "prevent interrupts on this CPU").
Then the Hexadecimal value is 3C, no ?

You wrote "...it works on my tests that irq counts hit only CPU2-5....". I guess this is the "issue". Don't you want to limit IRQs to the A53s ?
If you want to manage the interrupt only on A53 (CPU 0 and CPU 1), the mask should be 3C (111100), but I want to manage all interrupts with faster cores which are A73 at CPU 2-5. Is there a reason why the interrupts need to be handled with A53?

deuteragenie

Post by deuteragenie »

Ah, I see it now. Thanks for the clarification.
Did you try with a mask such as 001111 (F in hexa) to limit IRQ handling to only two of the big cores instead of four ?
Maybe this can help improving performance a bit as the IRQ has more chances to be picked up by the same CPU with 2 CPUs instead of 4.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

deuteragenie wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:23 pm
Ah, I see it now. Thanks for the clarification.
Did you try with a mask such as 001111 (F in hexa) to limit IRQ handling to only two of the big cores instead of four ?
Maybe this can help improving performance a bit as the IRQ has more chances to be picked up by the same CPU with 2 CPUs instead of 4.
I have not tried to handle to use two of big cores yet and I don't think it does not improve the performance since the irqbalance swiches the CPUs to handle the interrupt between unmasked cores. 4 has more chance than 2 to distribute the more interrupts? Correct me if I am wrong.

deuteragenie

Post by deuteragenie »

It is difficult to say without testing.
The optimal would be the least amount of big cores that can handle the IRQs I guess. Maybe two is sufficient, maybe it is not.
Also, probably IRQ affinity for USB / network, if it can be enabled, can further improve perf.

Return to “Projects”