kuteguy
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid x
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

design a N2+ setup

Post by kuteguy »

Hi,

I had a raspberry pi 4b and it was woefully underpowered, and the last nail in the coffin was when I was spending hours on it because its bluetooth was unstable to speakers, keyboard.
I had the odroid x2 also and so decided to try the N2+ - bought that with case and power supply (no eMMC).

Any tips for a good OS setup? I am looking mainly to use it for SMB (connect to USB 3.0 portable 2-3Tb un-powered HDD). Also will install PLEX, torrent client, VPN client, VNC server, and Kodi. Would like to play content directly from it onto my non-4k TV (but will have 4k in the future) -> using HDMI and bluetooth speakers. Want to be able to access it from anywhere in the world using bounceme.net as SMB server and PLEX server. Or I might access it as SMB/Plex/Kodi server on my Android/windows laptop, phone, tablet.

Not a gamer but would like to game from time to time - the more emulated supported the better :-)

Was thinking of using a 256gb microsd card. ~ 200gb allocated to Ubuntu 20.x and ~50gb allocated to a good games emulator like emuelec - is ok? I am guessing I have to have it as different OS'? I can't just have Ubuntu and then some emulator running on top as an app?

Thanks

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Re: design a N2+ setup

Post by mctom »

Hi!

First of all, I don't think that multiboot is a suitable way to go - I don't think you could get a grub-like boot menu easily, but perhaps I'm wrong. Honestly I haven't tried it.
On the other hand, I think you could easily run emulator on top of Ubuntu - that's how Odroid game consoles are set up, I think.

N2 has no X11 GPU drivers as far as I'm concerned, so in order to get decent video / 3D quality your choice is limited to Wayland environments. I have just installed wayfire today and looks pretty promising - was able to play Supertuxkart at 2K and minimum details, works okay, but not smooth as a butter.
Panfrost is on its way, slowly, to support X11 acceleration on N2, there's a thread about it, but honestly I have no idea what the hell they are talking about, so I can't tell how much more waiting it's going to cost, because all I can do about it is to wait.
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Re: design a N2+ setup

Post by tobetter »

mctom wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:38 pm
Hi!

First of all, I don't think that multiboot is a suitable way to go - I don't think you could get a grub-like boot menu easily, but perhaps I'm wrong. Honestly I haven't tried it.
On the other hand, I think you could easily run emulator on top of Ubuntu - that's how Odroid game consoles are set up, I think.

N2 has no X11 GPU drivers as far as I'm concerned, so in order to get decent video / 3D quality your choice is limited to Wayland environments. I have just installed wayfire today and looks pretty promising - was able to play Supertuxkart at 2K and minimum details, works okay, but not smooth as a butter.
Panfrost is on its way, slowly, to support X11 acceleration on N2, there's a thread about it, but honestly I have no idea what the hell they are talking about, so I can't tell how much more waiting it's going to cost, because all I can do about it is to wait.
Small correction, basically the Petitboot from on-board SPI flash memory can boot off many OS except Armbian which uses "modern" U-boot. Other than that multiple OS images built for N2 can be selected and boot from it. Also Grub2-like meny is supported for Linux platform.

N2 has been supported Wayland with ARM Mali bifrost driver from Ubuntu 20.04 for more than a year and now we have Panfrost which supports X11 as well as Wayland. As you have seen it's not butter smooth but it's promissing. I am offering Panfrost driver with Ubuntu 20.10 and 21.04, current Ubuntu 21.04 is most suitible to play with Panfrost and trying to keep recent version of Panfrost with upstream kernel. It's not bad, acceptalbe as of now IMHO.

If you are insteresting Ubuntu 21.04, please join the thread for the latest update.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=42300
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
mctom (Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:26 pm)

Return to “General Topics”