C4 GUI / browser performance

biterror
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1+, XU4
Been thanked: 0

C4 GUI / browser performance

Post by biterror »

I am beginning to port some web kiosk type applications from C1 and C2 to C4. I have tested the official linux images (Ubuntu 20.04 Mate and Armbian) - with disappointing results. Armbian fails to boot (it says "starting kernel" and freezes) and Ubuntu is very, very slow. Starting small apps or even browsing the menus is really slow. I will try to get a faster microsd card, but I guess it won't help with the fact that playing a full hd video in Firefox uses the full power of 3-4 CPU cores and the video is still not playing smoothly. It can't be the hardware: Under Android, the same video plays completely smoothly and everything is very snappy - just like it should be with this kind of hardware.

The current system was written in C with some shell scripts and I think porting everything to Android might be difficult (with printer support etc.) so I would rather keep using linux. I need better GUI/browser performance than what we had on C2, but C4 actually feels much slower.

Am I just doing something wrong here? Or are the GPU drivers in linux so bad for the C4? Should I be using a Raspberry, instead?

Thanks!

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: C4 GUI / browser performance

Post by odroid »

There was no GPU acceleration on the Mate desktop environment.

Try using this Ubuntu 21.04 Gnome image which can utilize the Mali GPU acceleration on C4/N2 platforms.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=42300
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
biterror (Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:47 pm)

biterror
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1+, XU4
Been thanked: 0

Post by biterror »

Thanks! I'm trying that, but the install didn't work (asking for help in the other thread). Hopefully this will be a good solution, once I get it working.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

I see.
@tobetter will check why Ubuntu 21.04 image didn't boot on your C4 board.

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Post by igorpec »

biterror wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:28 pm
I am beginning to port some web kiosk type applications from C1 and C2 to C4. I have tested the official linux images (Ubuntu 20.04 Mate and Armbian) - with disappointing results. Armbian fails to boot (it says "starting kernel" and freezes)
We didn't find any troubles booting Armbian on C4. Here is one of the general stress testing report we run reguraly:
https://users.armbian.com/igorp/2021-03 ... 31.48.html

Can you provide more data here or in our forums:
https://forum.armbian.com/forum/16-amlogic-s905x-s922x/ with help of this form https://www.armbian.com/bugs/ to understand what is needed.
ARMBIAN
Linux for ARM development boards
What is Armbian?

Return to “General Topics”