HC-4 just arrived but I am lost

Danielsan
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-XU4

HC-4 just arrived but I am lost

Post by Danielsan »

Hi guys,

it is just arrived but I am so busy that I am totally lost.

I need some suggestion to focus on it and making this little cutie thing at work!

[OS]
OMV is perfect and I found a nice and easy tutorial in the wiki.

[PARTITIONING]
Not sure if you can install it directly on the drive so I thought a this configuration:

OS and SWAP (I mean /) on a micro SD (industrial/endurance) and /HOME as raid 1 or 1+0 (I need to check this out better though) and XFS as filesystem because the snapshot feature.

[DRIVES]
Due my budget two 6TB 5400 CMR Nas drives, my current "nas" a PI2 with 4TB (non NAS) external HDD is mainly used for storing files (a lot of pictures), hence I think 5400 drives are a little bit more resilient than the 7200 ones.

Any shared suggestions, experience or feedback are very welcomed!

Thanks in advance,

D.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Re: HC-4 just arrived but I am lost

Post by tobetter »

For OMV, you need Debian Buster and it can be installed to your storage or SD directly using Debian Netboot Installer. It helps you to customize OS installation, user account/password and partitioning while installing.

These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
Danielsan (Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:37 pm)

Danielsan

Post by Danielsan »

Nice! Thank you very much!!!

Do you have any favorite setup to share?

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

Danielsan wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:19 am
Nice! Thank you very much!!!

Do you have any favorite setup to share?
I have no suggestion or favorit setup... :D Just I've seen some users had use RAID-0 on HDD/SDD and share some portition of the storage for OS itself. I am not able to find the thread as of now. In order to boot OS from SATA storage, you should not put /boot partition to RAID since the boot manager (Petitboot) cannot read boot files - kernel / initramfs / device trees - while root file system can be in RAID. You should try with the installer and follow up the genuine Debian Netboot Installer instruction. :)
viewtopic.php?f=201&t=41898&p=322311&hi ... c4#p322311
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
Danielsan (Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:36 pm)

Danielsan

Post by Danielsan »

Well this is something that I haven't considered... I could use a SSD drive for the OS e some content that I want have quickly and another one as storage, also an smr drive would be fine at this point... Again thanks!

Danielsan

Post by Danielsan »

Well I read enough documentation about OMV and partition...

I think I will install the OS (probably Ubuntu) on a SD card and I'll use two pro HHD in raid mode with BTRFS everything headless, I'll enable Samba and NTF, and anything else. For a longstanding and resilient file servers.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

Note that OMV doesn't run on top of ubuntu... You'll need a Debian base.

Danielsan

Post by Danielsan »

I have been playing with OMV in the last week, and I noticed that BTRFS is not fully integrated. There is also a debate whether or not should be the default filesystem.
I have been using BTRFS recently and I like some features like snapshot etc, it is easy to use and it is in the mainline kernel also well supported. I would probably used FreeBSD but isn't available so far.

The point is I don't need a web-gui to setup an home file server and even though I am a Debian user, I think I'll end up with Ubuntu just because the LTS.

Anyway thanks for the heads-up!

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Post by igorpec »

There are other (IHMO better) options to be considered https://forum.armbian.com/topic/17274-z ... s-for-nas/
ARMBIAN
Linux for ARM development boards
What is Armbian?

Danielsan

Post by Danielsan »

I wouldn't start a flame but could you elaborate a bit more?

ZFS is better than BTRFS that is clear, but I am fine with the latter. My real concern is about the OS, it looks like all the SOC manufacturers have a great electronic engineers but don't have any kernels software engineers at work. The OS support looks like is left to the effort of single individuals which is admirable but also weird, only Raspberry Foundation has or employs people to work on the kernel and other stacks.

Armbian is fine but I remember it was created because there wasn't armhf support on Debian back to that time, I prefer stay on what the wiki suggests, and HK looks like prefer using ubuntu, and I understand the reason even though I would prefer something else since Ubuntu is not my favorite distro...

rooted

Post by rooted »

You think the kernels just work on all these Hardkernel devices and no one updates them?

I believe mdrjr is the kernel maintainer for Hardkernel with patches being provided by other employees and the community as well.

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Post by igorpec »

Danielsan wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:03 am
I wouldn't start a flame but could you elaborate a bit more?

ZFS is better than BTRFS that is clear, but I am fine with the latter.
BTRFS is also just fine, no objections about that, but you must stick to mainline kernel. Legacy kernel is IMO not on such trust level.
Danielsan wrote:
My real concern is about the OS, it looks like all the SOC manufacturers have a great electronic engineers but don't have any kernels software engineers at work.
You mean SoC integrators? Hardkernel is not SOC manufacturer and I think if we speak for HC4, Amlogic is well supported in mainline kernel. Perhaps not on the level of RPi, but good enough.
Danielsan wrote:
The OS support looks like is left to the effort of single individuals which is admirable but also weird, only Raspberry Foundation has or employs people to work on the kernel and other stacks.
On the OS support - what options SoC integrators have? To pay large chunk of money for official Ubuntu support and gamble for community support, do what they do - provide their quickly assembled "Ubuntu" or join community projects such as ours. Something else?

Its hard to maintain universal OS for diverse hardware (ARM single board computers). Even for just a few covered by one SoC integrator.

Rpi hw is partially virtalized, its almost like supporing Linux inside Virtualbox, hw - the part that is open - hasn't changed much since ever and they have a large community. RPi foundation does not need to hire a single engineer, but since they make millions ... why not have a few.
Danielsan wrote:
Armbian is fine but I remember it was created because there wasn't armhf support on Debian back to that time, I prefer stay on what the wiki suggests, and HK looks like prefer using ubuntu, and I understand the reason even though I would prefer something else since Ubuntu is not my favorite distro...
The cheap component - armhf userland - existed (long) before Armbian was started. We fill the gap on the hardware interface / kernel part (not very much in case of HK, mainly elsewhere) and making universal OS, with simple and maintained option to (re)build from sources - in (any) Ubuntu and Debian flavor - for those little devices:
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (84.08 KiB) Viewed 113 times
https://docs.armbian.com/#what-is-the-d ... bianubuntu
ARMBIAN
Linux for ARM development boards
What is Armbian?

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

Regarding filesystems to use for a NAS, I'd also test out some recovery options in case the drives become corrupted (bad power to the disks, power outage, kernel bug, etc)
I went with XFS, because I didn't need fancy features.

Danielsan

Post by Danielsan »

I see... Thanks to all for the clarification!

Return to “General Topics”