Any plan for basic mainline linux support?

odroidn2user
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2, C4

Re: Any plan for basic mainline linux support?

Post by odroidn2user »

chewitt wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:01 pm
I'd be interested to see a comparison using the same windowing system and desktop environment, but switching between panfrost and libmali, because GL/GLES is what's responsible for blending the different visual layers for rendering/output.
Well, that would be a lot of work, to create those side by sides.
However, I have this same problem with the tobetter's Ubuntu Wayland images as well.
So this with Panfrost as well as with the Wayland Mali drivers/infrastructure.

Also, I tested Manjaro ARM (KDE Plasma) a while ago, which used neither Panfrost nor the Wayland Mali driver. And the problem was there as well, using llvmpipe for graphics.

I also installed both KDE and Gnome on the N2, on jgmdev's arch linux image, if I remember correct: so same distro, same drivers, different desktop environment, made no difference.

It might be worthwhile to mention again that if you take a screenshot of the desktop using the printscreen button or some such, the screenshot itself is clear.

Which led me to think it of being some kind of monitor or HDMI driver issue. Keep in mind on some monitors, it goes right, on other monitors it doesn't. Same installation.

Update: yeah, just hooked up the N2 with jgmdev's arch linux image (Gnome 40, Panfrost) to my old old monitor, no issues on a Samsung Syncmaster 203B on 1400x1050. So not really comparable, but it really is monitor specific.
Same thing hooked up to my Dell P2319H and LG smallscreen TV/monitor, has these issues. And then, only with the mainline kernel, never saw this with the 4.9 kernel series or with other computers.
Last edited by odroidn2user on Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brad
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2 N2+ H2 H2+ (64 bit ftw)

Post by brad »

I'm suspecting the color issues will be related to hdmi / drm / monitor rather than GPU or GLES. If i recall correctly have you had the issues prior to any panfrost / libMali acceleration.

I have been running displays on N2 since 5.0 kernel with Gnome and have not seen this issue before using libMali, panfrost or no acceleration. I'm currently running panfrost mostly on C4 at the moment and the display shows no sign of this issue.

i'd be interested in seeing a test using only uboot (prior to even loadiing linux kernel) and displaying a colour test image as the startup logo to see if the problem occurs there. Do you notice any issues at all with the hardkernel logo on boot?

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

brad wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:07 pm
I'm suspecting the color issues will be related to hdmi / drm / monitor rather than GPU or GLES. If i recall correctly have you had the issues prior to any panfrost / libMali acceleration.
Indeed. And I also suspect it is not on the GL/GLES side, given the consistency over all the different configurations I've tested.
Also, as the screenshots look good, I suspect it also isn't the rendering within the DRM? Not sure technically how that works, but the rendered end result looks good on screenshots.
Not sure where exactly the shown image gets composed before display, but it probably works correctly there, given the good screenshots.
Which lead me to think it might be the hdmi / monitor driver, perhaps even a compatibility issue in the HDMI handshake somehow?
Not sure how that causes image disruption, but still... Perhaps some wrong mode, compressions gone wrong, colour negotiation, who knows.
brad wrote:
Do you notice any issues at all with the hardkernel logo on boot?
Well, that test would be inconclusive.
The white line around the HK logo looks a little jagged, but then that could well be the quality of the bitmap used. There is no red in that would makes this issue very visible.
Also, the Samsung monitor which works right, doesn't react quick enough to show the bitmap. So I can't compare. Also, it is 1400x1050 / 4:3, so even if I do get it on screen, it probably won't look right compared to 16:9.
Petitboot also doesn't display right, as it seems to be fixed on 1080p.

Also, remember, it looks OK on kernel 4.9. So I'm not thinking the firmware uboot myself. Perhaps if there is an additional uboot on the loading OS, but...

I usually boot my images without SPI and without Petitboot. And using jgmdev's image, I immediately get the ALARM bootlogo, skipping the hardkernel logo.
The ALARM logo doesn't look quite right to me, but again, difficult to determine if that is just me being picky, the bitmap or the monitor driver.

trwn2p
ODROIDs: N2 Plus

Post by trwn2p »

Code: Select all

screenfetch
                             muser@manj-n2p
                             Kernel: aarch64 Linux 5.11.11-1-ARCH
         #####               Uptime: 2h 16m
        #######              Packages: Unknown
        ##O#O##              Shell: bash 5.1.4
        #######              Resolution: 2560x1440
      ###########            DE: KDE 5.80.0 / Plasma 5.21.3
     #############           WM: KWin
    ###############          GTK Theme: Breeze [GTK2], Breath-Dark [GTK3]
    ################         Icon Theme: breath2-dark
   #################         Disk: 9.1G / 296G (4%)
 #####################       CPU: Unknown @ 6x 1.8GHz
 #####################       GPU: Mali G52 (Panfrost)
   #################         RAM: 1205MiB / 3696MiB

My Manjaro KDE with fresh update. I boot direct to external 2.5 hdd caddy over usb3 and a QHD hdmi mon @2560x1440. Been great for months. I also use jdmdev's repo for his patched 5.11.x for latest panfrost drm.

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Post by crashoverride »

I have seen this issue reported before, so thought I would post some info in case its of use to someone:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/li ... gmail.com/
fix green/pink color distortion from HDR set during vendor Uboot
These users thanked the author crashoverride for the post (total 2):
tobetter (Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:43 pm) • jgmdev (Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:09 am)

chewitt

Post by chewitt »

The submitter didn't come back with a v2 patch yet, but it appears to work. I've been able to boot a no-name S905X2 device with vendor u-boot and I don't see the normal washed out blue screen, and I'm not chainloading u-boot.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

odroidn2user wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:46 pm
brad wrote:
Indeed. And I also suspect it is not on the GL/GLES side, given the consistency over all the different configurations I've tested.
Also I've hooked up an active HDMI to Displayport adapter, and the distortion isn' t showing up there. Plug in a normal HDMI-cable, it happens. Plug in the active adapter, and it´s gone.
So, it really depends on the chipset you attach to the HDMI port. In this case the adapter chipset is well supported, whereas the chipsets in my Dell and LG monitors are not.
I have 4 chipsets/monitors, of which 2 work normally. So, the HDMI driver is about 50% done?

Return to “General Topics”