Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post Reply
dm2912
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:39 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by dm2912 »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:03 am
dm2912 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:09 am
I am having the same issue with black screen on booting with switch set to spi on the n2+. Have tried multiple versions of Petitboot (20201222, 20201112, and 20201020).

With both CoreElec and EmuElec, its driving me nuts :D

Have tried:

1) boot.ini (coreelec) - switching autodetect to both true and false, switching between 1080p50/60

2) petitboot.cfg - suggested elsewhere, tried booting sp1 with that on sd card and appeared to do nothing.

Code: Select all

hdmimode=1080p60hz
vga=1080p60hz
Also tried 720, 480, and it didn't seem to have any effect, it didnt even change the resolution of petitboot :S

3) full recovery flash of petitboot as per this post, but the original 2019 one flat out refused to flash. did a full recovery flash from 082020 but that didnt help

viewtopic.php?f=182&t=33873&p=316318&hi ... en#p316318
Can you share the vendor/model of your display?
What OS are you running other than CoreELEC?
Luxor 32" 1920x1080 50hz - Model LUX 0132010/02

Running Emuelec on emmc, Coreelec on SD

Both are fine from regular boot, its purely in SPI mode i get black screens when trying to boot either. They do boot in the background, just no display.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 7769
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 428 times
Been thanked: 1197 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

dm2912 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:23 am
tobetter wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:03 am
dm2912 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:09 am
I am having the same issue with black screen on booting with switch set to spi on the n2+. Have tried multiple versions of Petitboot (20201222, 20201112, and 20201020).

With both CoreElec and EmuElec, its driving me nuts :D

Have tried:

1) boot.ini (coreelec) - switching autodetect to both true and false, switching between 1080p50/60

2) petitboot.cfg - suggested elsewhere, tried booting sp1 with that on sd card and appeared to do nothing.

Code: Select all

hdmimode=1080p60hz
vga=1080p60hz
Also tried 720, 480, and it didn't seem to have any effect, it didnt even change the resolution of petitboot :S

3) full recovery flash of petitboot as per this post, but the original 2019 one flat out refused to flash. did a full recovery flash from 082020 but that didnt help

viewtopic.php?f=182&t=33873&p=316318&hi ... en#p316318
Can you share the vendor/model of your display?
What OS are you running other than CoreELEC?
Luxor 32" 1920x1080 50hz - Model LUX 0132010/02

Running Emuelec on emmc, Coreelec on SD

Both are fine from regular boot, its purely in SPI mode i get black screens when trying to boot either. They do boot in the background, just no display.
Can you try sshing to any of them and let me have the output of the command cat /proc/cmdline after booting in SPI mode? Also good to have the same output when booted in regular mode.

dm2912
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:39 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by dm2912 »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:27 am
dm2912 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:23 am
tobetter wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:03 am
dm2912 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:09 am
I am having the same issue with black screen on booting with switch set to spi on the n2+. Have tried multiple versions of Petitboot (20201222, 20201112, and 20201020).

With both CoreElec and EmuElec, its driving me nuts :D

Have tried:

1) boot.ini (coreelec) - switching autodetect to both true and false, switching between 1080p50/60

2) petitboot.cfg - suggested elsewhere, tried booting sp1 with that on sd card and appeared to do nothing.

Code: Select all

hdmimode=1080p60hz
vga=1080p60hz
Also tried 720, 480, and it didn't seem to have any effect, it didnt even change the resolution of petitboot :S

3) full recovery flash of petitboot as per this post, but the original 2019 one flat out refused to flash. did a full recovery flash from 082020 but that didnt help

viewtopic.php?f=182&t=33873&p=316318&hi ... en#p316318
Can you share the vendor/model of your display?
What OS are you running other than CoreELEC?
Luxor 32" 1920x1080 50hz - Model LUX 0132010/02

Running Emuelec on emmc, Coreelec on SD

Both are fine from regular boot, its purely in SPI mode i get black screens when trying to boot either. They do boot in the background, just no display.
Can you try sshing to any of them and let me have the output of the command cat /proc/cmdline after booting in SPI mode? Also good to have the same output when booted in regular mode.
CoreElec

regular:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=2403-0711 disk=UUID=adade1f1-ce4f-4d05-8850-025480bca7ee console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend keymap=us max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet  systemd.show_status=auto
spi:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=2403-0711 disk=UUID=adade1f1-ce4f-4d05-8850-025480bca7ee console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend keymap=us max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet systemd.show_status=auto
EmuElec

regular:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=0802-1801 disk=UUID=6384002b-fe7d-498b-bd8c-0cb85f6e01d8 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet  systemd.show_status=auto
spi:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=0802-1801 disk=UUID=6384002b-fe7d-498b-bd8c-0cb85f6e01d8 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz 
logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet systemd.show_status=auto
that was august 2020 firmware as i have been testing every firmware to see if one sorted the issue

on latest firmware 20201222 (coreelec via spi)

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=2403-0711 disk=UUID=adade1f1-ce4f-4d05-8850-025480bca7ee console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend keymap=us max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet systemd.show_status=auto
Last edited by dm2912 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 7769
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 428 times
Been thanked: 1197 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

dm2912 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:42 pm
CoreElec

regular:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=2403-0711 disk=UUID=adade1f1-ce4f-4d05-8850-025480bca7ee console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend keymap=us max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet  systemd.show_status=auto
spi:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=2403-0711 disk=UUID=adade1f1-ce4f-4d05-8850-025480bca7ee console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend keymap=us max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet systemd.show_status=auto
EmuElec

regular:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=0802-1801 disk=UUID=6384002b-fe7d-498b-bd8c-0cb85f6e01d8 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet  systemd.show_status=auto
spi:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=0802-1801 disk=UUID=6384002b-fe7d-498b-bd8c-0cb85f6e01d8 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz 
logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet systemd.show_status=auto
Thank you for sharing...they does not seem to make an issue since they have the same values for both boot mode.
Can you try replug the HDMI cable when the black screen happens with SPI?
Also can you try to uncomment the line for voutmode='dvi' if it helps?
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
dm2912 (Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:17 pm)

dm2912
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:39 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by dm2912 »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm
Also can you try to uncomment the line for voutmode='dvi' if it helps?
this appears to have solved it in coreelec. (in config.ini)

edit: working with both emuelec and coreelec, thank you muchly.

such a simple solution :')

dm2912
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:39 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by dm2912 »

dm2912 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:09 pm
tobetter wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm
Also can you try to uncomment the line for voutmode='dvi' if it helps?
this appears to have solved it in coreelec. (in config.ini)

edit: working with both emuelec and coreelec, thank you muchly.

such a simple solution :')
tobetter wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm
Also can you try to uncomment the line for voutmode='dvi' if it helps?
Ah no, maybe not.. appears with that uncommented I have no sound

so voutmode='dvi' gets me picture but sound is disabled

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 7769
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 428 times
Been thanked: 1197 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

dm2912 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:23 pm
dm2912 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:09 pm
tobetter wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm
Also can you try to uncomment the line for voutmode='dvi' if it helps?
this appears to have solved it in coreelec. (in config.ini)

edit: working with both emuelec and coreelec, thank you muchly.

such a simple solution :')
tobetter wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm
Also can you try to uncomment the line for voutmode='dvi' if it helps?
Ah no, maybe not.. appears with that uncommented I have no sound

so voutmode='dvi' gets me picture but sound is disabled
I've reached CoreELEC developers and they suggest instruction for the black screen issue. Revert the change voutmode=dvi in config.ini.

1. Boot your CoreELEC without Petitboot, so you will have CoreELEC screen.
2. SSH-ing to CoreELEC to run these commands

Code: Select all

cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap > /storage/.kodi/userdata/disp_cap
sync
3. Place the boot select switch to SPI and replug the power cable.

If this works, you can try the same with EmuELEC.

Grendel187
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:00 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Grendel187 »

I am having the exact same issue. If my n2+ is set to SPI and I try to boot either my Coreelec on an emmc I get a blank screen with or without my emuelec SD card inserted. the same thing happens if I have just the emuelec sd card inserted by itself as well. If I have it set to mmc and try booting with the mmc or the sd card by themselves they both boot fine. I have done the boot to coreelec and ssh'd running the commands and that did not resolve the issue. I am using petitboot version 20201020. I know they are both functioning as even with a blank screen I can still ssh to them so it does seem to be something with the display changing. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 7769
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 428 times
Been thanked: 1197 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

Grendel187 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:32 am
I am having the exact same issue. If my n2+ is set to SPI and I try to boot either my Coreelec on an emmc I get a blank screen with or without my emuelec SD card inserted. the same thing happens if I have just the emuelec sd card inserted by itself as well. If I have it set to mmc and try booting with the mmc or the sd card by themselves they both boot fine. I have done the boot to coreelec and ssh'd running the commands and that did not resolve the issue. I am using petitboot version 20201020. I know they are both functioning as even with a blank screen I can still ssh to them so it does seem to be something with the display changing. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated
Do you mean you have tried this commands?

Code: Select all

cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap > /storage/.kodi/userdata/disp_cap
sync
Can you please share what's the brand/model of your display?

Grendel187
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:00 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Grendel187 »

I have tried that command I am using an LG42ld520 1080p TV and a tcl 55r625 4k this will be my main display I have also connected it to a denon x2300w.

tomten
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:05 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tomten »

I'm sometimes (not always) seeing an oops (unable to handle virtual paging request...) using petitboot 20201222 and then networking will not come up.

Since the network doesn't work and the fs isn't persistent I don't have a way to save it.

Edit: I reverted back to 20201020 and I haven't seen the problem.

zyssai
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:42 pm
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Odroid N2+ 2Gb
Vu7a+
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by zyssai »

Hi,
Is there a way to access petitboot without using boot selector switch?
My N2+ is integrated into frame. I have just usb otg cable connected.
Thanks

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 9405
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 599 times
Been thanked: 666 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by mad_ady »

No, you have to physically flip the switch to enable the spi rom circuit.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
zyssai (Thu May 06, 2021 1:55 am)

zyssai
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:42 pm
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Odroid N2+ 2Gb
Vu7a+
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by zyssai »

mad_ady wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:42 am
No, you have to physically flip the switch to enable the spi rom circuit.
Thanks you, thought there was a command like fastboot or other stuff.

Post Reply

Return to “Projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests