Third party OS images and hardware mods
southoz
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Super

Re: RetroOZ WIP

Post by southoz »

neil.aubin wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:24 pm
Well done on the new version... I have seen that 1.6 of Arkos is out with big improvements for Dreamcast. Do you keep in sync with these updates or have you forked off into a different direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still have the same cores as ArkOS running using Retroarch instead of Retrorun and the performance is very similar to ArkOS with the exception I have now set the internal resolution of the default core to 640x480.

Started to look at Retrorun but are currently having a linker issue when compiling that needs some time to work through. A lot of the binaries are not compatible due to the library difference between Ubuntu 19.04 and 20.04.

The main difference I am seeing with the Saturn is some compatibility variations between retrorun and retroarch but the performance is still poor.

IgaBiva
languages_spoken: english, deutsch, srpski
ODROIDs: N2

Post by IgaBiva »

I am still on 0.34 and I saw that newest WIP is 0.37.

Can I just jump to 0.37 straight from 0.34 or I have to go long way, 0.34 -> 0.35 -> 0.36 -> 0.37?

Midnight1270
ODROIDs: Odroid go super
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Midnight1270 »

Ok guys, newbie here (dont shoot me). I cant get Sonic CD to run on Odroid go super. I have the bin and queue and the bios files. Start the game and it goes right back to the menu. Any Ideas?

It works on EmuElec but not RetroOz

southoz

Post by southoz »

IgaBiva wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:27 pm
I am still on 0.34 and I saw that newest WIP is 0.37.

Can I just jump to 0.37 straight from 0.34 or I have to go long way, 0.34 -> 0.35 -> 0.36 -> 0.37?
0.34 -> 0.36 -> 0.37 (0.35 is included in 0.36)
These users thanked the author southoz for the post:
IgaBiva (Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:50 am)

southoz

Post by southoz »

Midnight1270 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:15 am
Ok guys, newbie here (dont shoot me). I cant get Sonic CD to run on Odroid go super. I have the bin and queue and the bios files. Start the game and it goes right back to the menu. Any Ideas?

It works on EmuElec but not RetroOz
All good, I have my Sega CD set in CHD format and it loads without a problem, I will try and find it in BIN/CUE format.
20210325_172423.jpg
20210325_172423.jpg (89.13 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
Often BIN / CUE formats are an issue with the Filenames and the content of the CUE file.
- What is the filename of the BIN file.
- What is the filename of the CUE file.
- Open the CUE file in notepad and what are the contents.

While not fixing your issue have you had a look at this Sonic CD port - Check out Russ's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu_8ub7NYZM
20210325_165618.jpg
20210325_165618.jpg (72.68 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
UPDATE: I have tested a version of Sonic CD with 35 bin files and it loaded without an issue.

Shoesy
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance

Post by Shoesy »

Widescreen sonic looks so cool! Have you tried the widescreen Genesis core in Retroarch?

southoz

Post by southoz »

Shoesy wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:37 pm
Widescreen sonic looks so cool! Have you tried the widescreen Genesis core in Retroarch?
I have had a play and found that there was a lot of graphics issues with the games I tried, I will spend some more time this weekend testing.

If you want to test yourself unzip https://mega.nz/file/E6YAmRwS#xLLWGTULk ... XL1F13oYm0 to ports, reload emulationstation and run the Update script.

Once you have rebooted change the emulator options in emulationstation to retroarch32 with enesis_plus_gx_wide core.

Slaminger
languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: XU4, N2, N2+, C2, C4, OGA, OGA-BE, H2+, OGS, OGST

Post by Slaminger »

hey, i just saw this thread. looking good! i'll check it out :)

southoz

Post by southoz »

Slaminger wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:14 am
hey, i just saw this thread. looking good! i'll check it out :)
Plenty of bits and pieces that will help out with TheRA!

Midnight1270

Post by Midnight1270 »

Hey Guys, still not able to get sonic CD to work. I believe have the right bios since everything else works. Not sure where to go next. Any ideas

Mindbear

Post by Mindbear »

Hi there!

first thank you so much for your hard work and this awesome firmware!

i‘ve using RetroOz as of today and have two questions.

there seem to be a language problem. i want to set the interface language to german, but it wont work. stays in english.

and my second question is: where can i find the retroarchive settings? this should work in arkOS, but i cant find it here.

thanks for your help!

edit: ok found out my second question by myself. the settings are in the retroarch menu :)

southoz

Post by southoz »

Midnight1270 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:34 pm
Hey Guys, still not able to get sonic CD to work. I believe have the right bios since everything else works. Not sure where to go next. Any ideas
The next thing you would want to do is debug logging in Retroarch.

To turn on the debug logging:

1. Emulators Retroarch -> Retroarch
2. Settings -> Logging
3 Change
Logging Verbosity to ON
Frontend Logging Level 0
Core Logging Level 0
Log to File ON
4. Push B to Exit
5. Main Menu -> Configuration Files
6. Save Current Configuration.

Run the game to generate the log file

This presents an issue with getting the log file, retroarch.log, as its location is within the odroid home folder. I might have to make an update to log it to the SDCard if you can not get it through one of the follow I can check it out to see what the issue might be:
1. Browse through Windows to \\retrooz\odroid\.config\retroarch\logs or \\<Your IP>\odroid\.config\retroarch\logs where <Your IP> is your devices IP address shown in the network configuration.
2. ssh to <Your IP> and cd ~/.config/retroarch/logs then nano retroarch.log and copy to a text file. (I Personally use mc, Midnight Commander with either a FTP or Shell link to copy to a Windows share)
3. Mount the root partition on a Linux machine and copy the file from /<Your Mount Point>/home/odroid/.config/retroarch/logs

Turn off the debug logging:

1. Emulators Retroarch -> Retroarch
2. Settings -> Logging
3 Change
Frontend Logging Level 1
Core Logging Level 1
Log to File OFF
Logging Verbosity to OFF
4. Push B to Exit
5. Main Menu -> Configuration Files
6. Save Current Configuration.
Last edited by southoz on Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

southoz

Post by southoz »

Mindbear wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:08 am
there seem to be a language problem. i want to set the interface language to german, but it wont work. stays in english.
I will have to look into this, sorry I did not do any language testing and I can not see anything in the emulationstation code that I have cloned from Christians github.

With the emulation options they are hardcoded into the es_systems.cfg as they need to match the filenames on the device.

Update: The locale directory is missing from the FCA-MOD version of emulationstation I cloned. I downloaded include the locale information updated the makes files and recompiled it to test with the system location set to de_DE.UTF-8. At this stage everything is now set to DE but emulationstation. I set it to DE in the emulationstation advanced settings and it converts back EN.
Last edited by southoz on Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Midnight1270

Post by Midnight1270 »

So, which bios files are you guys using for sega cd and do i need both the sega cd and sega genesis bios files in the bios folder. If so, whats the directory name

southoz

Post by southoz »

Midnight1270 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:04 am
So, which bios files are you guys using for sega cd and do i need both the sega cd and sega genesis bios files in the bios folder. If so, whats the directory name
I have tried to keep the BIOS requirements and folders as per Christians wiki - https://github.com/christianhaitian/ark ... nformation

Sega CD
Emulator: (lr-genesis_plus_gx) lr-picodrive
Rom Folder: segacd
Extensions: .bin .BIN .chd .CHD .cue .CUE .iso .ISO
Bios: bios_CD_U.bin, bios_CD_E.bin, bios_CD_J.bin

From the logfile:

Code: Select all

[libretro INFO] Mega CD (PAL) BIOS should be located at: /roms/bios/bios_CD_E.bin
[libretro INFO] Sega CD (NTSC-U) BIOS should be located at: /roms/bios/bios_CD_U.bin
[libretro INFO] Mega CD (NTSC-J) BIOS should be located at: /roms/bios/bios_CD_J.bin

Midnight1270

Post by Midnight1270 »

Ok, so thats not the problem as the roms/bios are right where they should be

southoz

Post by southoz »

Midnight1270 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:43 am
Ok, so thats not the problem as the roms/bios are right where they should be
Were you able to turn on debug logging and generate the retroarch logfile? See the post viewtopic.php?p=325443#p325443

Jpopel27

Post by Jpopel27 »

Hi I have a couple questions. First question is how do I turn on the system specific bezels? also i cant find a link to what wifi dongles work with this. The tp-link dongle i have doesnt seem to register it. Love the build but would love to personalize it with bezels and being to access wifi! :)

southoz

Post by southoz »

Jpopel27 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:28 am
Hi I have a couple questions. First question is how do I turn on the system specific bezels? also i cant find a link to what wifi dongles work with this. The tp-link dongle i have doesnt seem to register it. Love the build but would love to personalize it with bezels and being to access wifi! :)
Hi, there are currently per system bezels for most of the retroarch cores except those with performance limitations. They are set through the overlay menu on a per content folder basis. Russ has a great video he just released on how you can update the bezels with specific bezel packs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0KjQrkusmI The aim is to be as compatible as possible with the ArkOS instructions so the whole video is relevant.

The wifi drivers are based on what is available in the 4.4.189 Kernel supplied by Rockchip. The makefile for the wireless drivers that are included in the kernel I compiled is:

Code: Select all

#
# Makefile for the Linux Wireless network device drivers.
#

obj-$(CONFIG_IPW2100) += ipw2x00/
obj-$(CONFIG_IPW2200) += ipw2x00/
obj-$(CONFIG_HERMES)            += orinoco/
obj-$(CONFIG_AIRO)              += airo.o
obj-$(CONFIG_AIRO_CS)           += airo_cs.o airo.o
obj-$(CONFIG_ATMEL)             += atmel.o
obj-$(CONFIG_PCI_ATMEL)         += atmel_pci.o 
obj-$(CONFIG_PCMCIA_ATMEL)      += atmel_cs.o
obj-$(CONFIG_AT76C50X_USB)      += at76c50x-usb.o
obj-$(CONFIG_PRISM54)           += prism54/
obj-$(CONFIG_HOSTAP)            += hostap/
obj-$(CONFIG_B43)               += b43/
obj-$(CONFIG_B43LEGACY)         += b43legacy/
obj-$(CONFIG_ZD1211RW)          += zd1211rw/
obj-$(CONFIG_WLAN)              += realtek/
# 16-bit wireless PCMCIA client drivers
obj-$(CONFIG_PCMCIA_RAYCS)      += ray_cs.o
obj-$(CONFIG_PCMCIA_WL3501)     += wl3501_cs.o
obj-$(CONFIG_USB_NET_RNDIS_WLAN)        += rndis_wlan.o
obj-$(CONFIG_USB_ZD1201)        += zd1201.o
obj-$(CONFIG_LIBERTAS)          += libertas/obj-$(CONFIG_LIBERTAS_THINFIRM) += libertas_tf/
obj-$(CONFIG_ADM8211)   += adm8211.o
obj-$(CONFIG_MWL8K)     += mwl8k.o
obj-$(CONFIG_IWLWIFI)   += iwlwifi/
obj-$(CONFIG_IWLEGACY)  += iwlegacy/
obj-$(CONFIG_RT2X00)    += rt2x00/
obj-$(CONFIG_WL_MEDIATEK)       += mediatek/
obj-$(CONFIG_P54_COMMON)        += p54/
obj-$(CONFIG_ATH_CARDS)         += ath/
obj-$(CONFIG_MAC80211_HWSIM)    += mac80211_hwsim.o
obj-$(CONFIG_VIRT_WIFI) += virt_wifi.o
obj-$(CONFIG_WL_TI)     += ti/
obj-$(CONFIG_MWIFIEX)   += mwifiex/
obj-$(CONFIG_BRCMFMAC)  += brcm80211/
obj-$(CONFIG_BRCMSMAC)  += brcm80211/
obj-$(CONFIG_CW1200)    += cw1200/
obj-$(CONFIG_RSI_91X)   += rsi/
obj-$(CONFIG_WL_ROCKCHIP)       += rockchip_wlan/
obj-$(CONFIG_RTL8812AU) += rtl8812au/
obj-$(CONFIG_RTL8192CU) += rtl8192cu/
obj-$(CONFIG_RTL8822BU) += rtl88x2bu/
obj-$(CONFIG_RTL8821CU) += rtl8821cu/
obj-$(CONFIG_RTL8723BU) += ew-7611ulb/
obj-$(CONFIG_ESP8089) += esp8089/
Compiling your own kernel is fairly straight forward if you follow the instructions https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid_go_advance/build_kernel and you can configure the wireless drivers by running make menuconfig and selecting what you need before compiling the kernel.

ccdwyer
ODROIDs: Super

Post by ccdwyer »

This is the first bit of software for my super that seems to have just worked, any way to buy you a beer? (or rootbeer, if you're under 21)

CISKO
ODROIDs: go advance

Post by CISKO »

southoz wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:49 pm
neil.aubin wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:24 pm
Well done on the new version... I have seen that 1.6 of Arkos is out with big improvements for Dreamcast. Do you keep in sync with these updates or have you forked off into a different direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still have the same cores as ArkOS running using Retroarch instead of Retrorun and the performance is very similar to ArkOS with the exception I have now set the internal resolution of the default core to 640x480.

Started to look at Retrorun but are currently having a linker issue when compiling that needs some time to work through. A lot of the binaries are not compatible due to the library difference between Ubuntu 19.04 and 20.04.

The main difference I am seeing with the Saturn is some compatibility variations between retrorun and retroarch but the performance is still poor.

I Hope you can fix Retrorun, it's really worth ,the performance is superior to retroarch and on this console it would look great
These users thanked the author CISKO for the post:
jimfaker (Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:45 pm)

jimfaker
languages_spoken: english, spanish, french
ODROIDs: Go, and Advanced

Post by jimfaker »

Hi!

Well I've changed the rendering on LZdoom from software to openGL and now it's not working, where should I go to change that back to software? Can you tell me please :)

EDIT: hehe I just took the lzdoom.ini from the image and replace the one that I modified :)

southoz

Post by southoz »

ccdwyer wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:42 pm
This is the first bit of software for my super that seems to have just worked, any way to buy you a beer? (or rootbeer, if you're under 21)
Thanks, Most of the Credit for development goes to Christian (ArkOS) and OtherCrashoveride (OGA and OGS Base OS and Libraries).

ArkOS, IMO, is the best solution for the RG351P due to Christian's work and community feedback. Without that source, it would be impossible to have stability and functionality.
CISKO wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:45 pm
I Hope you can fix Retrorun, it's really worth ,the performance is superior to retroarch and on this console it would look great
I have the 64 bit retrorun compiled and working and will work on the 32bit version this weekend. Setting up for 32bit cross-compiling is not a trivial task so I will release the 64 bit update once I am happy with that buttons.
Last edited by southoz on Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
CISKO (Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:59 pm)

southoz

Post by southoz »

jimfaker wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:53 pm
Hi!

Well I've changed the rendering on LZdoom from software to openGL and now it's not working, where should I go to change that back to software? Can you tell me please :)
Doom and Quake II are using software renderers due to incompatibility with the Odroid Go EGL SDL implementation.

During testing, I found that the software render for LZDoom at 854x480 was doing a great job, what was the issue that made you change the rendering output setting?

I will revisit the issues I had with Quake II through retroarch to see if I can get it working with a hardware render, LZDoom would need the code to be rewritten for the Odroid Go SDL implementation.

arcath
ODROIDs: advance & super

Post by arcath »

Few things I have noticed...

I don't see an option to set the timezone. The menu option doesnt list any choices so the clock is wrong with no other way to set it.

When quitting from the adv settings menu using the back button at the bottom, it crashes the ui. Also, if I press left on the d-pad while in the adv settings/timezone menu, it crashes the ui.

Really enjoying this firmware and I am pretty sure it will become my daily driver for the super. Thanks much!

southoz

Post by southoz »

arcath wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:07 am
Few things I have noticed...

I don't see an option to set the timezone. The menu option doesnt list any choices so the clock is wrong with no other way to set it.

When quitting from the adv settings menu using the back button at the bottom, it crashes the ui. Also, if I press left on the d-pad while in the adv settings/timezone menu, it crashes the ui.

Really enjoying this firmware and I am pretty sure it will become my daily driver for the super. Thanks much!
Thanks, I had noticed but had not spent any time on it, the fix is in the 0.38 update.
Last edited by southoz on Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southoz

Post by southoz »

Update 0.38a
Mega - https://mega.nz/file/FuxkELxQ#XF2jvEkOJ ... PrKYuxgvLk
Onedrive - https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag5nl1V4mxXqhL9N0YJ ... w?e=NFXmCu

- Retrorun 64bit for improved Dreamcast, Naomi and Atomiswave emulation performance.
- Genesis Plus GX Wide Core for Megadrive, Genesis and SegaCD
- Fix Timezone selection in Emulationstation

1. Extract the ZIP file and copy the contents to the /roms/ports folder on the SDCARD.
2. Restart Emulation Station or Reboot
3. From Ports Select UPDATE-WIP-0.38. System Will Restart

Under Emulator Settings for Sega Dreamcast, Sega Atomiswave and Sega Naomi set to Retrorun Emulator with Flycast Core

See PDF download/file.php?id=13924 for details on the Retrorun Controls for Dreamcast, Naomi and Atomiswave
Last edited by southoz on Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
CISKO (Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:09 pm)

Mindbear

Post by Mindbear »

Thanks for the Update!!

The Language Setting is also working now. 😊

Edit: reicast_xtreme is a choosable Core in retrorun, but not working. Flycast is working.

southoz

Post by southoz »

Mindbear wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:42 pm
Thanks for the Update!!

The Language Setting is also working now. 😊

Edit: reicast_xtreme is a choosable Core in retrorun, but not working. Flycast is working.
Thanks, reicast_xtreme is a 32 bit core. There was also an issue with the dreamcast.sh script which has been fixed and the update has been replaced.

southoz

Post by southoz »

Update 0.39
Mega - https://mega.nz/file/hqBCyBRL#3q6tZCDoe ... MDYz5Rznb8
Onedrive - https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag5nl1V4mxXqhL9Po3C ... Q?e=ux6r5Q

- Retrorun 32bit for improved Dreamcast, Naomi, Atomiswave and Saturn emulation performance.

1. Extract the ZIP file and copy the contents to the /roms/ports folder on the SDCARD.
2. Restart Emulation Station or Reboot
3. From Ports Select UPDATE-WIP-0.39. System Will Restart

Under Emulator Settings for Sega Dreamcast and Sega Naomi set to RETRORUN32 Emulator with FLYCAST Core.
Under Emulator Settings for Sega Atomiswave set to RETRORUN Emulator with FLYCAST Core (provides better controls compatibility with analogue wheels and pedals).
Under Emulator Settings for Sega Saturn set to RETRORUN32 with YABASANSIRO Core.

See PDF download/file.php?id=13924 for details on the Retrorun Controls for Dreamcast / Saturn, Naomi and Atomiswave

*Note IMO Saturn Emulation, in general, is still not able to emulate at a usable frame rate.

Please Thank Christian for his 32bit chroot virtual machine image viewtopic.php?p=306185#p306185 to allow for compiling the 32 bit version.
Shoesy (Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:58 pm)

jimfaker
languages_spoken: english, spanish, french
ODROIDs: Go, and Advanced

Post by jimfaker »

southoz wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:40 am
jimfaker wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:53 pm
Hi!

Doom and Quake II are using software renderers due to incompatibility with the Odroid Go EGL SDL implementation.

During testing, I found that the software render for LZDoom at 854x480 was doing a great job, what was the issue that made you change the rendering output setting?
I was just playing with the options, because I wanted to have more light on a wad that is too dark, the psx wad.

southoz

Post by southoz »

jimfaker wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:18 am
I was just playing with the options, because I wanted to have more light on a wad that is too dark, the psx wad.
The brightness is set at 50% (35) by default and can be adjusted up to 100% (65) within Emulationstation Main Menu -> Display Settings.
jimfaker (Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:00 pm)

MuzlL0dr
ODROIDs: OGS

Post by MuzlL0dr »

Just gotta say, this is now my favorite firmware on any of my devices. So much goodness is pre-installed and Dreamcast works better than any other platform I have - even before Retrorun (I actually switched back to RA so I could utilize the analog to digital for certain games.) I know this is based on ArkOS, but you've clearly put a lot of work into it. Thanks for it! I'm checking in daily now for updates. :) (Especially Pico-8 which I've tried at length to get working, but my linux-foo isn't strong enough.) Keep up the awesome work!!

southoz

Post by southoz »

MuzlL0dr wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:27 am
Just gotta say, this is now my favorite firmware on any of my devices. So much goodness is pre-installed and Dreamcast works better than any other platform I have - even before Retrorun (I actually switched back to RA so I could utilize the analog to digital for certain games.) I know this is based on ArkOS, but you've clearly put a lot of work into it. Thanks for it! I'm checking in daily now for updates. :) (Especially Pico-8 which I've tried at length to get working, but my linux-foo isn't strong enough.) Keep up the awesome work!!
Cheers! The controls are based on the Core Defaults when I get a chance I will have a look to see if I can get the left analogue working for Atomiswave and Naomi. Both Pico8 and Easyrpg are on the list of many things I need to do to keep it close to ArkOS

For Anyone that is keen to test, I have been working this weekend on converting valadaa48's ogage https://github.com/valadaa48/ogage for the OGS using Christian's base. Extract to the ports folder then run UPDATE-OGAGE.

Mega - https://mega.nz/file/Jzgw1SiS#ZtHTAe8mV ... oRdX76HGtE

HotKey - 17
-Brightness Up - 8
-Brightness Down - 9
-Brightness 10% - 14
-Brightness 50% - 15
-Volume Up - 11
-Volume Down 10
-Mute - 16
-Perfnorm - 4
-Perfmax - 6
-Wifi Off - 7
-Wifi On - 5
-Suspend - 13
Buttons.png
Buttons.png (331.51 KiB) Viewed 779 times

- Does not impact existing Power and Volume rocker buttons.
- There is an issue where the USB port is no longer active after wake on suspend and requires a reboot.
- There is a single flash for Perfnorm and Wifi Off and a double flash for Perfmax and Wifi On.
- On mute use the volume rocker to resume at the previous volume.
- Breaks Mupen64Plus will be fixed in final release.
Last edited by southoz on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
These users thanked the author southoz for the post (total 3):
odroid (Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:41 am) • MuzlL0dr (Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:27 am) • valadaa48 (Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:50 pm)

Midnight1270

Post by Midnight1270 »

Ok still having issues with Sonic CD even after the update. It seems like it tries to load but im still getting blank screen inside the bezel. Its really strange. Its also none of the cd games are working. Also tried demolition man and same thing. Goes right back to main screen

southoz

Post by southoz »

Midnight1270 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:46 pm
Ok still having issues with Sonic CD even after the update. It seems like it tries to load but im still getting blank screen inside the bezel. Its really strange. Its also none of the cd games are working. Also tried demolition man and same thing. Goes right back to main screen
Can you paste the retroarch log file you generated from the previous post https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php ... 43#p325443?

Midnight1270

Post by Midnight1270 »

Never mind. Issue is resolved. It had to do with the name of the 2 bios files. GRRRRRR!!!! , it wants a .bin not .BIN. Dang finiky file naming system

southoz

Post by southoz »

Midnight1270 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:03 am
Never mind. Issue is resolved. It had to do with the name of the 2 bios files. GRRRRRR!!!! , it wants a .bin not .BIN. Dang finiky file naming system
Awesome, yes linux is case sensitive.

Mowaii
languages_spoken: english, french

Post by Mowaii »

Hey, I have the file for RetroOZ but i don't know how to put it in the odroid, please help me

Harmsy

Post by Harmsy »

Mowaii wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:39 pm
Hey, I have the file for RetroOZ but i don't know how to put it in the odroid, please help me
First you're going to need a microSD card, 8gig or bigger. Next you're going to need some software that can flash the image. https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid_go_advance/make_sd_card This link will give you the details on that. Once you have your card flashed, just pop it into your odroid and boot it up.

mharper13
ODROIDs: odroid go super

Post by mharper13 »

Great work guys, found some issues, my timezone selection still shows nothing, not a big deal. but the screensaver freezes the device whether its pressing select button while in main console selection screen or if you allow the screensaver to turn on by itself after so much time, both functions freeze device and need to be forced shutdown to correct, also still getting about 30% of the time i power it on there is a retroOZ splash screen that flashes on top of main console selection screen and then have to reboot everytime, for me this happens like i said 30% of the time i power on.

southoz

Post by southoz »

mharper13 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:34 am
Great work guys, found some issues, my timezone selection still shows nothing, not a big deal. but the screensaver freezes the device whether its pressing select button while in main console selection screen or if you allow the screensaver to turn on by itself after so much time, both functions freeze device and need to be forced shutdown to correct, also still getting about 30% of the time i power it on there is a retroOZ splash screen that flashes on top of main console selection screen and then have to reboot everytime, for me this happens like i said 30% of the time i power on.
Hi, I would highly recommend that you try another sdcard as on the surface it sounds like a disk problem for the below reasons:

The screensaver function loads media files that are presented to emulationstation within each of the systems gamelist files, all testing I have done with media that I have manually downloaded from screenscraper.fr with skraper, I have never observed a crash. If there is a problem accessing the media or the media is corrupted it may cause a problem.

I have tested both the update for timezone selection and the full image. The process creates a symbolic link from the timezone to the file /etc/timezone and if it can not write the symbolic link the timezone would remain blank. It does take around 30 seconds for all the timezones to be presented within emulationstation.

The Plymouth screen will continue to present and battle emulationstation for display time when there is a boot process still running. Emulationstation is installed as a service that is started at boot time and therefore does not wait for all boot process to complete. I believe this is why other distros don't use graphical Plymout themes as the text based themes are hidden behind emulationstation. It is possible there is a disk check running in the back ground which is why the Plymouth logo continues to present?

Off-topic and back on to skraper I would check Russ's video on using it to manually download your media on a PC (Keep some space free as it caches all media in a separate location) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBQuFBbRsXs&t=76s

MuzlL0dr

Post by MuzlL0dr »

southoz wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:15 pm
For Anyone that is keen to test, I have been working this weekend on converting valadaa48's ogage https://github.com/valadaa48/ogage for the OGS using Christian's base. Extract to the ports folder then run UPDATE-OGAGE.
This is brilliant - I've been waiting for this, so I'm happy to help test.

CountBuggula
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: U3, C2, N2+, XU4, OGS

Post by CountBuggula »

How do I login with ssh? I tried the arkOS user and password but it didn't work, and the "reset password" function is broken.

southoz

Post by southoz »

CountBuggula wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:27 am
How do I login with ssh? I tried the arkOS user and password but it didn't work, and the "reset password" function is broken.
odroid / odroid, I will check out the password change script and fix it on the next release , thanks for pointing it out!
CountBuggula (Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:27 pm)

CountBuggula

Post by CountBuggula »

southoz wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:51 pm
CountBuggula wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:27 am
odroid / odroid, I will check out the password change script and fix it on the next release , thanks for pointing it out!
Thanks, that worked, and I can at least change my password from the command line for the time being.
Is there any known reason why updating packages through apt would break anything? I haven't done it yet, I just want to make it's not already a known issue before I go breaking things.

southoz

Post by southoz »

CountBuggula wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm
Thanks, that worked, and I can at least change my password from the command line for the time being.
Is there any known reason why updating packages through apt would break anything? I haven't done it yet, I just want to make it's not already a known issue before I go breaking things.
The issue with the password script the osk (on-screen keyboard) process is broken, I have tested it with the ArkOS version of osk and except for the 480x320 keyboard is now working, going to raid the default image :D

Flashed up a new card and ran an apt update && apt upgrade and it seems ok.
CountBuggula (Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:07 pm)

CountBuggula

Post by CountBuggula »

southoz wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:39 pm
CountBuggula wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm
The issue with the password script the osk (on-screen keyboard) process is broken, I have tested it with the ArkOS version of osk and except for the 480x320 keyboard is now working, going to raid the default image :D

Flashed up a new card and ran an apt update && apt upgrade and it seems ok.
Great, thank you for the confirmation. I have a couple of (hopefully minor) requests. First, is there any way you can include skyscraper? While the new built-in ES scraper is pretty good, I still prefer the power and flexibility of command-line skyscraper. I went to build it myself on the OGS but one of the required packages has conflicts with what's already installed so I'd need to set up a cross-compile environment for it. If not, that's something I'm certainly capable of doing myself, it's just a lot of work to set up, so if it's something you already can do easily, I'd really appreciate it.

Second, any chance you could include the "enhanced" shader set from Batocera (and I think a few other distros use it too).

Thanks, I'm really enjoying this distro (I literally spent all day yesterday going through every available image for the OGS before finally settling on this one) and am looking forward to having some more fun with it.

southoz

Post by southoz »

CountBuggula wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:18 am

Great, thank you for the confirmation. I have a couple of (hopefully minor) requests. First, is there any way you can include skyscraper? While the new built-in ES scraper is pretty good, I still prefer the power and flexibility of command-line skyscraper. I went to build it myself on the OGS but one of the required packages has conflicts with what's already installed so I'd need to set up a cross-compile environment for it. If not, that's something I'm certainly capable of doing myself, it's just a lot of work to set up, so if it's something you already can do easily, I'd really appreciate it.

Second, any chance you could include the "enhanced" shader set from Batocera (and I think a few other distros use it too).

Thanks, I'm really enjoying this distro (I literally spent all day yesterday going through every available image for the OGS before finally settling on this one) and am looking forward to having some more fun with it.
I can certainly take a look at skyscraper, I have used it on Retropie but I settled on skraper for all my scraping needs. If you have not already checked out skraper I would check out Russ's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBQuFBbRsXs&t=76s. I have scraped all my romsets and use python scripts to create Top X and romset by list that takes the media, roms and gamelist from my full set to create subsets in a few minutes. I have included a dry run component that shows the size on disk of all the media and roms to allow for creating romsets for smaller cards. The only real negative thing is that screenscraper.fr can have performance issues and limits the number of queries that are not cached.

I will raid the Batocera image (and its overly weird file structures) over the weekend and see if I can pick out that shader set. Outside of handhelds I have been a bit shy with shaders due to the performance impact

CountBuggula

Post by CountBuggula »

Thanks, I'll check that out. I did get all the prerequisites installed on my OGS and tried building but it errored out so I'm working with the skyscraper dev to figure that out. I'm struggling to get a cross-compile environment set up so if you already have that and get to it before me, awesome, otherwise hopefully I'll get the local build figured out.
I've contributed to screenscraper.fr and have access to extra cores and query limits.
The batoecera shader seemed to work well enough without slowdown with NES and SNES games, which is where I most notice the difference. I can turn it off on consoles like NDS if needed. If you have trouble finding that shader, the super2xsal shader I've always found to have good results and is light on performance impact. If you tell me where to put the shaders, I'm happy to do it myself too.
Also, where can I turn on or off bezels? I've been looking for a config file or something but haven't found it yet.

Return to “Projects”