Debian doesn't work, reboot is stuck, OMV spits errors...

tomini
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Debian doesn't work, reboot is stuck, OMV spits errors...

Post by tomini »

Hello,
I have many, many issues with HC4 and I don't know why. I did the Debian install via Petitboot via network, but after the install I tried to delete Petitboot so I can always boot to SD card (this should resolve the issue with reboot not rebooting and getting stuck - well, at least from what I heard)
OMV spit errors on me surrounding my 10TB disk, not wanting to reboot and I think there is either something wrong with my unit or my installation process.
Could some good soul help me out? I really don't want to corrupt anything. I restored Petitboot, updated it - so it says "up-to-date" and I don't want to touch it for now, because all my attempts went nowhere.

Chat via Discord or something would be great. Video chat would be best. I did all the steps right in the guides, so I don't know what now...
I'm probably scared of nothing, but you never know what can be corrupted with some st*pid miss-step.

Otherwise currently I'm in Petitboot and there is something about "[eth0] PXE autoconfiguration failed"...

Thank you so much <3

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Re: Debian doesn't work, reboot is stuck, OMV spits errors...

Post by tobetter »

The error [eth0] PXE autoconfiguration failed in the Petitboot is not serious at all, it just means to failed to setup PXE booting rather than local storage boot.
It would be appreciated if you share the error what you found and why you think there are many many issues.

tomini

Post by tomini »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:28 pm
The error [eth0] PXE autoconfiguration failed in the Petitboot is not serious at all, it just means to failed to setup PXE booting rather than local storage boot.
It would be appreciated if you share the error what you found and why you think there are many many issues.
Well I can't reboot from Debian/OMV and I had error and couldn't boot to Debian at all no matter what I did.
Rebooting is not wroking - will result in no LEDs.
Could you give me at least a relevant and still working guide? Some guys mount the drive in Debian and some don't in the guide...some install it to SSD and some to microSD.

I want to run some local NAS (doesn't have to be OMV) on my microSD (because I have not enough money for SSD and want space for 2nd HDD) with 10TB HDD in the SATA slot for files only.
Downloading using torrent would be really nice so I don't have to use my phone or PC for that and point it to NAS directory.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

tomini wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:56 pm
tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:28 pm
Well I can't reboot from Debian/OMV and I had error and couldn't boot to Debian at all no matter what I did.
Rebooting is not wroking - will result in no LEDs.
Could you give me at least a relevant and still working guide? Some guys mount the drive in Debian and some don't in the guide...some install it to SSD and some to microSD.
Looks like rebooting issue happens with the latest kernel 5.11, quick workaround is to use 5.10 instead of 5.11.
After installing Debian, run sudo apt install linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64 and reboot your system so make sure if you are running 5.10 kernel, not 5.11 and try rebooting.
I want to run some local NAS (doesn't have to be OMV) on my microSD (because I have not enough money for SSD and want space for 2nd HDD) with 10TB HDD in the SATA slot for files only.
Downloading using torrent would be really nice so I don't have to use my phone or PC for that and point it to NAS directory.
If you want to run OS on SD card and since you are having the rebooting issue, download and flash the image based on 5.10 kernel.
https://docs.linuxfactory.or.kr/install ... image.html
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/raw/arm64/buster/

tomini

Post by tomini »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:12 pm
Looks like rebooting issue happens with the latest kernel 5.11, quick workaround is to use 5.10 instead of 5.11.
After installing Debian, run sudo apt install linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64 and reboot your system so make sure if you are running 5.10 kernel, not 5.11 and try rebooting.

If you want to run OS on SD card and since you are having the rebooting issue, download and flash the image based on 5.10 kernel.
Yeah, I have no image on it currently. So might as well just flash 5.10 rightaway. BalenaEtcher will reformat it with the image, so the Petitboot image will be gone...that's good.
This one? debian-buster-server-odroidhc4-20201218.img.xz 2020-12-18 23:23 203M
Ubuntu vs. Debian for my setup? Besides Debian, I looked only into DietPi, because it has better torrent client addons, but OMV is not compatible with DietPi and I don't know if other NAS addons for DietPi are as good as OMV is.

BTW - Don't I have to worry about updating itself to the newer buggy kernel?
...and I don't have to delete Petitboot like I was told using this code (?):

Code: Select all

# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd2
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd3
I hope the microSD will be enough for the OS as I don't do much. Only write, read and only sometimes will write and read in the same time. If the torrent plugin is possible then that could be the most stressful task for it.
Thanks

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

tomini wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:27 pm
tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:12 pm

Yeah, I have no image on it currently. So might as well just flash 5.10 rightaway. BalenaEtcher will reformat it with the image, so the Petitboot image will be gone...that's good.
This one? debian-buster-server-odroidhc4-20201218.img.xz 2020-12-18 23:23 203M
Ubuntu vs. Debian for my setup? Besides Debian, I looked only into DietPi, because it has better torrent client addons, but OMV is not compatible with DietPi and I don't know if other NAS addons for DietPi are as good as OMV is.

BTW - Don't I have to worry about updating itself to the newer buggy kernel?
...and I don't have to delete Petitboot like I was told using this code (?):

# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd2
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd3
I hope the microSD will be enough for the OS as I don't do much. Only write, read and only sometimes will write and read in the same time. If the torrent plugin is possible then that could be the most stressful task for it.
Thanks
If you prefer to run DietPi, I think you would flash the official image from their download page.
viewtopic.php?f=203&t=40390
https://dietpi.com/

Also if you do not willing to use multiple OS system, ignore the Petitboot after removing it with the commands with flash_eraseall. This will reduce your headache.

tomini

Post by tomini »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:36 pm
If you prefer to run DietPi, I think you would flash the official image from their download page.

Also if you do not willing to use multiple OS system, ignore the Petitboot after removing it with the commands with flash_eraseall. This will reduce your headache.
So I can now flash DietPi or Debian on SD with Balena and delete Petitboot rightaway? Or do I need Petitboot for the first boot?
Last time I installed Debian, rebooted to Petitboot and removed it with commands and then couldn't run Debian. Was that my mistake not running Debian before removing Petitboot? I looked for hardware switch for SPI/microSD because I was really confused...and still kinda am.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

tomini wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:41 pm
tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:36 pm

So I can now flash DietPi or Debian on SD with Balena and delete Petitboot rightaway? Or do I need Petitboot for the first boot?
Last time I installed Debian, rebooted to Petitboot and removed it with commands and then couldn't run Debian. Was that my mistake not running Debian before removing Petitboot? I looked for hardware switch for SPI/microSD because I was really confused...and still kinda am.
You can remove the Petitboot and no need to think of it if you use DietPi.
The reason why the Debian installed with the Netboot Installer does not flash the boot loader since the Petitboot will boot it. There is no hardware switch for SPI/MMC on HC4, only N2/N2Plus has it.

Do not be confused, erase the Petitboot and flash DietPi image. It will boot.
Later if you need Petitboot, you can restore it.

tomini

Post by tomini »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:43 pm
The reason why the Debian installed with the Netboot Installer does not flash the boot loader since the Petitboot will boot it. There is no hardware switch for SPI/MMC on HC4, only N2/N2Plus has it.

Can I do the same with Debian as with DietPi? I want it to boot properly... Like flashing it not with Netboot Installer but tiwth Balena like DietPi?
Because like I said, DietPi doesn't support OMV and I don't know wnay good equivalent to OMV on DietPi. For example sleep/power saving settings for the HDD is really good in OMV. As much as I want DietPi for the known enviroment for me and presumably easy torrent managing...if it doesn't have good NAS managment it's useless :-/

Sorry for these newbie questions, but this is the first time I saw this explanation. Thank you for that, because I was confused...but this explains a lot.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

tomini wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:56 pm
tobetter wrote:

Can I do the same with Debian as with DietPi? I want it to boot properly... Like flashing it not with Netboot Installer but tiwth Balena like DietPi?
Because like I said, DietPi doesn't support OMV and I don't know wnay good equivalent to OMV on DietPi. For example sleep/power saving settings for the HDD is really good in OMV. As much as I want DietPi for the known enviroment for me and presumably easy torrent managing...if it doesn't have good NAS managment it's useless :-/

Sorry for these newbie questions, but this is the first time I saw this explanation. Thank you for that, because I was confused...but this explains a lot.
I believe OMV and DietPi are independent OS set and they would not sit in the running system, especially OMV is a more complicated system. Havn't tried to install DietPi on top of OMV, not sure it's worth to try...I would not try this.

tomini

Post by tomini »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:05 pm
tomini wrote:
tobetter wrote:

I believe OMV and DietPi are independent OS set and they would not sit in the running system, especially OMV is a more complicated system. Havn't tried to install DietPi on top of OMV, not sure it's worth to try...I would not try this.
I know, I don't even want to try, because DietPi removed it from compatible software as DietPi is too lightweight and doesn't have needed stuff for OMV to work. OMV changes a lot of stuff in the system and thus breaks DietPi.
But if I want OMV then I need Debian to boot properly. I didn't understand you if that is prossible. You only said thet DietPi will boot normally and I just need to remove Petitboot, but Debian doesn't flash the bootloader...so what to do then?

I just need it to work. Either if you know software like OMV for DietPi...or how to make Debian work normally without running into bootloops and unresponding system.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

tomini wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:19 pm
tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:05 pm
tomini wrote:
tobetter wrote:

I know, I don't even want to try, because DietPi removed it from compatible software as DietPi is too lightweight and doesn't have needed stuff for OMV to work. OMV changes a lot of stuff in the system and thus breaks DietPi.
But if I want OMV then I need Debian to boot properly. I didn't understand you if that is prossible. You only said thet DietPi will boot normally and I just need to remove Petitboot, but Debian doesn't flash the bootloader...so what to do then?

I just need it to work. Either if you know software like OMV for DietPi...or how to make Debian work normally without running into bootloops and unresponding system.
I already explained all I can tell you. If you want Debian, flash the image in the link in my previous post, and make sure if you are running 5.10 kernel or not since looks like 5.11 kernel has rebooting issue.

tomini

Post by tomini »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:26 pm
I already explained all I can tell you. If you want Debian, flash the image in the link in my previous post, and make sure if you are running 5.10 kernel or not since looks like 5.11 kernel has rebooting issue.
Oh, okay. I got confused in all the booting stuff. Thought that if image is flashed with Netboot Installer then it needs Petitboot, otherwise I could delete it.
My bad. Hopefully it will finally work.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

tomini wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:31 pm
tobetter wrote:
Oh, okay. I got confused in all the booting stuff. Thought that if image is flashed with Netboot Installer then it needs Petitboot, otherwise I could delete it.
No problem. Pick up an OS and try, and get back here with log or screenshot when you meet an error. That helps us a lot.

tomini

Post by tomini »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:34 pm
tomini wrote:
tobetter wrote:
No problem. Pick up an OS and try, and get back here with log or screenshot when you meet an error. That helps us a lot.
Flashed "debian-buster-server-odroidhc4-20201218.img.xz" using balenaEtcher and booted in. It asks me for a login...cant find any that works.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

tomini wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:22 pm
tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:34 pm
tomini wrote:
tobetter wrote:
Flashed "debian-buster-server-odroidhc4-20201218.img.xz" using balenaEtcher and booted in. It asks me for a login...cant find any that works.
odroid / odroid

tomini

Post by tomini »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:30 pm
odroid / odroid
What am I doing wrong again? I used this "https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-hc4/soft ... ll_omv_nas" but there are different ones like this "https://forum.openmediavault.org/index. ... kie-guide/". Now tell me that this isn't confusing. Same thing, totally different steps. I'm lost, genuinely.
Idk how to change username, but whatever. At least I was able to change passwords. I just dont want to do it all over again because of mismatched login or something...

odroid@buster-server:~$ su -
Password:
root@buster-server:~# usermod -aG sudo odroid
root@buster-server:~# exit
logout
odroid@buster-server:~$ wget -O omv_install.sh https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install
-bash: wget: command not found
Password:
root@buster-server:~# wget -O omv_install.sh https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install
logout
odroid@buster-server:~$ sudo wget -O omv_install.sh https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install
[sudo] password for odroid:
sudo: wget: command not found
odroid@buster-server:~$ sudo wget -O omv_install.sh https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install
odroid@buster-server:~$ wget -O omv_install.sh https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install
Password:
root@buster-server:~# wget -O omv_install.sh https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install
root@buster-server:~# sudo wget -O omv_install.sh https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install
root is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
root@buster-server:~#

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

tomini wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:02 pm
tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:30 pm
odroid / odroid
What am I doing wrong again? I used this "https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-hc4/soft ... ll_omv_nas" but there are different ones like this "https://forum.openmediavault.org/index. ... kie-guide/". Now tell me that this isn't confusing. Same thing, totally different steps. I'm lost, genuinely.
Idk how to change username, but whatever. At least I was able to change passwords. I just dont want to do it all over again because of mismatched login or something...

Password:
root@buster-server:~# usermod -aG sudo odroid
logout
Password:
logout
[sudo] password for odroid:
Password:
root@buster-server:~# sudo wget -O omv_install.sh https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install
root is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
It says "wget: command not found"...you have to install wget.

sudo apt update
sudo apt install wget

tomini

Post by tomini »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:04 pm

sudo apt update
sudo apt install wget
Okay, done these and OMV. This happened (some warnings and an error):

2021-03-31 14:15:49 (4.36 MB/s) - ‘openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all5.deb’                                                                                                                                                       saved [67056/67056]

dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable
Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin
Installing other dependencies ...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 49 not upgraded.
omv-extras failed to install correctly.  Trying to fix with omv-salt deploy run                                                                                                                                                       ...
./omv_install.sh: line 264: omv-salt: command not found
omv-salt deploy run failed and openmediavault-omvextrasorg is in a bad state.
odroid@buster-server:~$
Is that OK? I ran it in user mode:

odroid@buster-server:~$ sudo apt update
odroid@buster-server:~$ sudo apt install wget
odroid@buster-server:~$ chmod +x omv_install.sh
odroid@buster-server:~$ sudo ./omv_install.sh

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

tomini wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:20 pm
tobetter wrote:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install wget

2021-03-31 14:15:49 (4.36 MB/s) - ‘openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all5.deb’                                                                                                                                                       saved [67056/67056]

Building dependency tree
omv-extras failed to install correctly.  Trying to fix with omv-salt deploy run                                                                                                                                                       ...

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144167

tomini

Post by tomini »

So I have to reinstall it? Because I installed it in my user folder? Sorry, english+linux filesystem/privileges is really giving me headache.

tomini

Post by tomini »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:25 pm
tomini wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:20 pm
tobetter wrote:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install wget

Building dependency tree

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144167
I don't know...

Password:
root@buster-server:~# dpkg -i openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all5.deb
dpkg: error: cannot access archive 'openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all5.deb': No such file or directory
root@buster-server:~# apt install ./openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all5.deb
E: Unsupported file ./openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all5.deb given on commandline

tomini

Post by tomini »

Please, you are my only hope. I cant downgrade the kernel using just apt install. It says that 5.10.23-202103190446~buster is higher... How to downgrade?
Apt remove? But it wants to remove even some linux-image-generic, when I say to remove linux-image-5.11,0-odroid-arm64...
Thank you

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

tomini wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:37 am
Please, you are my only hope. I cant downgrade the kernel using just apt install. It says that 5.10.23-202103190446~buster is higher... How to downgrade?
Apt remove? But it wants to remove even some linux-image-generic, when I say to remove linux-image-5.11,0-odroid-arm64...
Thank you
Finish the installation and downgrade the Linux kernel as I posted already.
viewtopic.php?p=325707#p325707

tomini

Post by tomini »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:56 am
Like I said it didn't work. I had to apt remove the 5.11.0 version.
But now I need to mount the drive. These were the errors I faced previously in OMV...all over again. Nearly for anything I wanted to save:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-salt deploy run --no-color fstab 2>&1' with exit code '100': ERROR: The state 'fstab' does not exist

Chyba č.0:
OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-salt deploy run --no-color fstab 2>&1' with exit code '100': ERROR: The state 'fstab' does not exist in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:195
Stack trace:
#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/engine/module/serviceabstract.inc(62): OMV\System\Process->execute()
#1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(167): OMV\Engine\Module\ServiceAbstract->deploy()
#2 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Config->applyChanges(Array, Array)
#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
#5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(588): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusuE...', '/tmp/bgoutputPv...')
#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
#7 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(189): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)
#8 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Config->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)
#9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#10 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)
#11 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)
#12 {main}

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

tomini wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:44 am
tobetter wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:56 am
Like I said it didn't work. I had to apt remove the 5.11.0 version.
But now I need to mount the drive. These were the errors I faced previously in OMV...all over again. Nearly for anything I wanted to save:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-salt deploy run --no-color fstab 2>&1' with exit code '100': ERROR: The state 'fstab' does not exist

Chyba č.0:
OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-salt deploy run --no-color fstab 2>&1' with exit code '100': ERROR: The state 'fstab' does not exist in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:195
Stack trace:
#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/engine/module/serviceabstract.inc(62): OMV\System\Process->execute()
#1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(167): OMV\Engine\Module\ServiceAbstract->deploy()
#2 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Config->applyChanges(Array, Array)
#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
#5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(588): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusuE...', '/tmp/bgoutputPv...')
#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
#7 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(189): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)
#8 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Config->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)
#9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#10 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)
#11 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)
#12 {main}
No, you do not. You do no tneed to remove 5.11 kernel when installing 5.10 kernel. You can install and keep both kernel versions without removing one. Keep finishing to install OMV and please be a bit familiar to use Debian.
If you have no luck with this, consider to use Armbian or DietPi.

tomini

Post by tomini »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:03 am
No, you do not. You do no tneed to remove 5.11 kernel when installing 5.10 kernel. You can install and keep both kernel versions without removing one. Keep finishing to install OMV and please be a bit familiar to use Debian.
So how do get the kernel back? If I need it at all (?)...
BeforeBefore removing the kernel the reboot was still broken. I had to remove the 5.11.0, because that was the default kernel that was applied. When I did uname --kernel-release it was printed the broken version.

I removed it and some linux-image-general or what was removed with it...

After this...the reboot works, but that error in OMV is still not letting me mount the disk.
What is wrong with this system? I literally just installed it. There shouldn't be any conflicts etc...

tomini

Post by tomini »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:03 am

Timed out waiting for device /dev/disk/by-uuid/[string of letters and numbers]
Dependency fauled for Filesystem check on (the same /dev/disk/...)
Dependency failed for /srv
Dependency failed for Local File System
I did format the HDD in OMV...maybe it was storing something nescessary? But it wouldn't let me add partition to the OMV and name it...

tomerr
ODROIDs: HC4

Post by tomerr »

I have the same issue with kernel 5.11 but I already have linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64 package installed. How can I change the boot settings to use 5.10 kernel?
already tried modifying boot.scr file, but then it stopped booting from the SD

thanks

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

tomerr wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:14 am
I have the same issue with kernel 5.11 but I already have linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64 package installed. How can I change the boot settings to use 5.10 kernel?
already tried modifying boot.scr file, but then it stopped booting from the SD

thanks
Did you modify the boot.scr manually with an editor? Then, you should not.

In order to switch to the previous kernel, just run sudo flash-kernel --force 5.10.0-odroid-arm64. This will update the boot.scr to boot with 5.10 kernel.

Another option if you are running ODROID-HC4 and use the Petitboot is to use Grub. Install the grub package and update its configuration will show you the kernel versions to boot on the Petitboot screen.

sudo apt update
sudo apt install odroid-grub2
sudo update-grub2
viewtopic.php?p=319789#p319789
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
tomerr (Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:15 pm)

tomerr
ODROIDs: HC4

Post by tomerr »

tobetter wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:08 am
Did you modify the boot.scr manually with an editor? Then, you should not.

In order to switch to the previous kernel, just run sudo flash-kernel --force 5.10.0-odroid-arm64. This will update the boot.scr to boot with 5.10 kernel.

Another option if you are running ODROID-HC4 and use the Petitboot is to use Grub. Install the grub package and update its configuration will show you the kernel versions to boot on the Petitboot screen.

sudo apt update
sudo apt install odroid-grub2
sudo update-grub2
viewtopic.php?p=319789#p319789
yes I manually modified boot.scr and learned the hard way I really shouldn't have as it is signed..no biggy as I did backup the file before changing it
the flash-kernel command is exactly what i was looking for . thanks

Return to “Issues”