[OS] Debian Buster (for ODROID Go Advance/Super)

Third party OS images and hardware mods
xavi
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0

Re: [OS] Debian Buster (for ODROID Go Advance/Super)

Post by xavi »

meveric wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:29 am
xavi wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:21 am
My program is Chronojump, If you want to install it on Go Super, here are the Linux compile instructions:
https://chronojump.org/linux-compile
you do not need to install: mono-reference-assemblies-4.0 , also you don't need to do the "Fix Mono target process".

Not sure about the OpenGL ES, I like to write software, I've been programming Chronojump since 2004, but always as a hobby, lots of hours, but I teached myself. Since last two years I become professional, but I am very bad in linking and packaging.
I'll check what I can find out about this. I can also try on other ODROIDs to check on easier interfaces, with native 1080p and such.
In our team we have been talking during years about doing a mobile application.
Our users measure force and power on sports. They do it many times on the open (on an sports field or gym), and they have to go with a laptop that they do not like very much to carry.

So having a way to run our application in an small device is a need, but creating a version of our software for Android and IOS is impossible with our resources. So we have two options:
  • Write a new mobile app with really low functionalities
  • Use something that is cheap, nice and portable that can run our software without many problems.
So when I found Odroid go super the second option gets enlightened, with the screen and the controls and at this price I became very happy. Some of the modes of our software work very nice with it, and other things (graphs at realtime capture) have to be simplified in order to run with this cpu+gpu. But it is not a big problem. Not sure yet if customers will use it easily (when our software works on that resolution).

I am not sure yet if Odroid go super is enough or we will need something more powerful (I need more days of tests). Our application on Raspberry Pi 4 runs nice, I think Raspberry Pi 4 has faster cpu+gpu and also a very optimized operating system. I am sure the Odroid Debian version that you made will be more optimized in the near future. But Raspberry has not a device as nice and finished as this Odroid.

So to end my long speech, the nice thing of this Odroid (Go Super) is its portability. Other Odroids maybe are more powerful but they do not have a nicely integrated screen.

Thanks again for your time and support.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

I've created a quick and dirty package for the... whatever it is :D
https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/tes ... 10_all.deb
It has enough dependencies that it can start, but I'm not sure if all functions are working, as I don't know what to do with the software.

tested it on the ODROID N1 where it runs fine (whatever it is), I also tested it on the Go Advance and Go Super, but since it has a window size of 584 pixels it won't fit the screen.

I did test panning as well, which worked "ok-ish" and doesn't matter if it's normal or left, the behavior is the same.
It scrolls ok-ish and after the scrolling the picture is fine, but while scrolling the picture goes completely black before it reappears.
Aside from that it's working.

Here's a short Video what it looks like:
https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/Vid ... nojump.mp4

can't say anything about performance though... not much to see besides the interface.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

xavi

Post by xavi »

meveric wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:28 am
I've created a quick and dirty package for the... whatever it is :D
https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/tes ... 10_all.deb
It has enough dependencies that it can start, but I'm not sure if all functions are working, as I don't know what to do with the software.

tested it on the ODROID N1 where it runs fine (whatever it is), I also tested it on the Go Advance and Go Super, but since it has a window size of 584 pixels it won't fit the screen.
Wow! you did a package, but... is there any difference in perfomance between you package and the installation using:

https://chronojump.org/linux-compile/

Are libraries the same?
meveric wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:28 am
I did test panning as well, which worked "ok-ish" and doesn't matter if it's normal or left, the behavior is the same.
It scrolls ok-ish and after the scrolling the picture is fine, but while scrolling the picture goes completely black before it reappears.
Aside from that it's working.

Here's a short Video what it looks like:
https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/Vid ... nojump.mp4

can't say anything about performance though... not much to see besides the interface.
Yes, that is not usable for our customers. But I will fix the program today in many parts (adding an odroid conf) and let's see how it looks at the end of the day.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

xavi wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 pm
Wow! you did a package, but... is there any difference in perfomance between you package and the installation using:

https://chronojump.org/linux-compile/
Performance should be the same, as it only provides an easy way to install and uninstall the program itself.
Still the performance my depend on your system settings. Like if you're using the correct xorg version, if you have compositing activated or not things like that.
But it does not depend on the way you installed the application itself.
xavi wrote:
Are libraries the same?
No they are not.
The guide installs tons of development libraries, these are not required to RUN the program, therefore it has much less extra packages to install than what is required to be installed for building the software.
xavi wrote:
Yes, that is not usable for our customers. But I will fix the program today in many parts (adding an odroid conf) and let's see how it looks at the end of the day.
Please keep in mind, that the Go Advance and Go Super are not the only systems available from HardKernel.
Most of the other ODROIDs wouldn't have that issue, as they are not limited by screen size.
There are a lot of builds that use ODROIDs with a touch screen in a tablet like fashion:
For example: https://magazine.odroid.com/wp-content/ ... df#page=16
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

xavi

Post by xavi »

I managed to fix the GUI of the software to be seen with low height devices. Here I uploaded a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94-hcrW-QN4

In this video you can see how it is fast enough for one of our applications :)
These users thanked the author xavi for the post:
odroid (Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:49 am)

xavi

Post by xavi »

Which on-screen keyboard do you use?

I tried: matchbox-keyboard, florence and onboard.

What I like of onboard is that seem possible to fast show/hide, doing this:

Show:
dbus-send --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=org.onboard.Onboard /org/onboard/Onboard/Keyboard org.onboard.Onboard.Keyboard.Show

Hide:
dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.onboard.Onboard /org/onboard/Onboard/Keyboard org.onboard.Onboard.Keyboard.Hide

And I can create an script and assign it to a button of the device.

I would like to easily move the keyboard to the top or bottom of the screen (if possible with physical buttons).

meveric

Post by meveric »

I don't use on screen keyboard.. I normally just plug in a mouse/keyboard.
Or map the buttons up front with antimicro, which can also be used to run entire programs with parameters.

illydone
languages_spoken: english, français
ODROIDs: Go, Go Super
Been thanked: 0

Post by illydone »

Thanks for the ISO image.

Just for information, can't get RTL8821CU wifi dongle (DWA171) to work for the moment. I don't know if it's the module or something else. I can modeswitch the dongle and then the 8821cu module is loaded. However, impossible to get connected to the wifi (I tested several wifi AP). The same dongle is working on the HK official Ubuntu.

I also tested a DLink DWA127 but it didn't work neither: module loaded but impossible to get connected.
I finally tested an official Raspberry dongle but it is not recognized at all.

meveric

Post by meveric »

I'm using the same Kernel as HardKernel uses, therefore the USB WiFi driver should be the same as well.
It could however be related to missing firmware or something similar.
Could you check the output of dmesg when you plug in the device to see if it complains about something?

I tested the image with WiFi Module 0 and 5A from HardKernel also the build in one on the OGA(BE) works fine.
So overall WiFi should work.

Sadly i don't have a adapter that has the RTL8821CU chipset so I can't test it on my side.

illydone
languages_spoken: english, français
ODROIDs: Go, Go Super

Post by illydone »

I'll make further investigations and keep you informed. As stated, in both cases, the usb wifi is recognised and the module is loaded but no connection to the network and no address from DHCP.

meveric

Post by meveric »

how did you set up the network connection?
Technically you should only have to add SSID and Password in /etc/network/interfaces and it should work already.

meveric

Post by meveric »

illydone wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:43 pm
I'll make further investigations and keep you informed. As stated, in both cases, the usb wifi is recognised and the module is loaded but no connection to the network and no address from DHCP.
I just realized I got a dongle together with one of my ODROID GOs a little while ago which is WiFi and Bluetooth combined, if I remember correctly?

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:c820 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 
using usb_modeswitch as described here: https://github.com/brektrou/rtl8821CU
Did work fine for me, I also added it to /lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch.rules to make it the default as described on the site.
After that I just added my SSID and PW as described in the opening post and the system connected to my WiFi just fine.
So that seems to work just as intended :)

recliq
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: 2xU2 + U3 + XU3 + 2xXU4 + C2 + H2 + OGS

Post by recliq »

lol, I did the exact same thing today and was about to post it here...

soncfe@163.com
ODROIDs: oga

Post by soncfe@163.com »

where is the lastest img about [OS] Debian Buster for ODROID Go Advance in github ?

recliq

Post by recliq »

soncfe@163.com wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:25 pm
where is the lastest img about [OS] Debian Buster for ODROID Go Advance in github ?
I don't think there is one, the links to the image are in the first post.

meveric

Post by meveric »

recliq wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:59 pm
soncfe@163.com wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:25 pm
I don't think there is one, the links to the image are in the first post.
True, I don't use github for any images.

Shoesy
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance

Post by Shoesy »

I've installed MATE and chromium with an aim to play some Stadia games. I understand anti-micro odroid can be used to remap the joy controls to keyboard events, but is there a way to pass analogue controls through to chromium as a standard usb device? Would like analogue control if possible.

soncfe@163.com

Post by soncfe@163.com »

I have start the OGA with the Debian OS,
but first how to apt with no network ?
Edit the network interfaces ,system told me readonly filesystem.
what's the correct operation?

meveric

Post by meveric »

Shoesy wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:58 pm
I've installed MATE and chromium with an aim to play some Stadia games. I understand anti-micro odroid can be used to remap the joy controls to keyboard events, but is there a way to pass analogue controls through to chromium as a standard usb device? Would like analogue control if possible.
Not only keyboard events, also mouse events and it can even be used to run commands.
My guess is, having analog acting as a mouse and L1 R1 as mouse buttons should work for most cases.

Shoesy

Post by Shoesy »

Would be hoping for two analogue joystick, like Xbox. Is there a way to make them seem like an Xbox controller to chromium? I’m thinking probably outside of anti-micro

recliq

Post by recliq »

soncfe@163.com wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:13 pm
Connect a usb keyboard to edit /etc/network/interfaces as root.
soncfe@163.com wrote:
If you do this on the OGA as root the filesystem shoud be r/w.

meveric

Post by meveric »

recliq wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:24 pm
soncfe@163.com wrote:
Connect a usb keyboard to edit /etc/network/interfaces as root.
soncfe@163.com wrote:
If you do this on the OGA as root the filesystem shoud be r/w.
unless the filesystem is damaged. In that case you may have to flash the image again.
But as @recliq said, normally you just edit the file as root and you should be good.

meveric

Post by meveric »

Shoesy wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:19 pm
Would be hoping for two analogue joystick, like Xbox. Is there a way to make them seem like an Xbox controller to chromium? I’m thinking probably outside of anti-micro
What would you do with the second analog stick?

You could use xboxdrv to make the odroid gamepad appear like a XBox 360 controller to the system.
But I'm not sure what you would need this for.
As far as I know gamepad input is available for all controllers not just for xbox controllers on Chromium.

Shoesy

Post by Shoesy »

Crazy as it may sound, Stadia games use two sticks for controls :)

Thanks for the xbox driver tip, I'll check that out

Shoesy

Post by Shoesy »

I'm getting an unstable connection using my wifi chip on OGAS - is power saving enabled for rtl8812au chipset? I know some other distros have it disabled already. https://github.com/valadaa48/retrorolle ... 12-chipset

meveric

Post by meveric »

I use the default Kernel from HardKernel without modifying the drivers.
So if it's enabled on HardKernel's Ubuntu image, it's very likely it's activated here as well.
But you can also change the settings as described in this post.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
Shoesy (Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:48 am)

soncfe@163.com

Post by soncfe@163.com »

I have installed debain after network setting and apt upgrade.
But I don't known the next step operation.
X11?mate desktop?lightdm?

meveric

Post by meveric »

you can start "setup-odroid" and select you want to install a desktop.
It will take care of all of these.

soncfe@163.com

Post by soncfe@163.com »

start "setup-odroid",set up mate on wifi conection,
waiting for long time,
and add user odroid/odroid,
modify the xorg config about "shadowFB off",
ln the gpu driver link,
But everything reboot ,and work on login terminal.
Why?
Last edited by soncfe@163.com on Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

Shoesy

Post by Shoesy »

Is your internet connection up? The scripts don’t give any error message for no internet, it just drops through. Installing Mate will take a longish time (took about an hour for me I think), so you’d definitely notice it.

meveric

Post by meveric »

soncfe@163.com wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:32 am
modify the x11 config about "off",
ln the gpu driver link,
But everything reboot ,and work on login terminal.
Why?
Not sure what you mean with that.
There is no need to set anything to "off" nor to link any GPU drivers.
You just need to install MATE with the tool, set your user and can reboot the system, nothing else needed.
Shoesy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:02 am
Is your internet connection up? The scripts don’t give any error message for no internet, it just drops through. Installing Mate will take a longish time (took about an hour for me I think), so you’d definitely notice it.
This greatly depends on your internet speed and the quality of your SD card.
My last run took about 15mins.

soncfe@163.com

Post by soncfe@163.com »

df -h
sd avial 0, use%:100%,
that's the problem.
My sd is 2G.How large will the Debain OS used?

meveric

Post by meveric »

2GB is probably the absolute minimum for the Desktop.
a 4GB SD card would be better, especially if you want to install some programs like a web browser or something similar.
2GB SD cards are quite uncommon these days.. you hardly find anything below 8GB nowadays.. more likely you will find 32 or 64 GB today which you can get for less than $10.

Shoesy

Post by Shoesy »

I’m not sure my WiFi chip works very well with Debian. I’ve ordered the Odroid mk 5 one, hopefully that will get me a bit of speed.

meveric

Post by meveric »

Shoesy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:34 pm
I’m not sure my WiFi chip works very well with Debian. I’ve ordered the Odroid mk 5 one, hopefully that will get me a bit of speed.
Since the drivers come from the Kernel and the Kernel is the same on Ubuntu and Debian image, there shouldn't be any difference that has nothing to do with just configuration.
I've been using the build-in WiFi of the OGA (BE) to steam videos, I've done the same with the WiFi Module 0 from hardkernel on the OGS.
Both were running stable
Check the videos here:
viewtopic.php?p=319356#p319356

soncfe@163.com

Post by soncfe@163.com »

It is difficult for connect wlan0 .
I have try 50.....
. format sd, install img, root,odroid
/etc/network
vi interfaces
auto wlan0
What 's the prefect and right operation?
Last edited by soncfe@163.com on Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

meveric

Post by meveric »

edit the file /etc/network/interfaces so it looks like this:

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-essid <NAME-OF-YOUR-WLAN>
    wpa-psk <WLAN-PASSWORD>
for example:

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-essid MyHomeNetwork
    wpa-psk 12345abcde
That should be all that is needed, once you restart the ODROID or do a ifup wlan0 it should already work.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
soncfe@163.com (Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:52 am)

soncfe@163.com

Post by soncfe@163.com »

Now all install are OK,auto login GUI desktop. :D
is there no driver about the joytick and game keyboard?
Last edited by soncfe@163.com on Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

meveric

Post by meveric »

soncfe@163.com wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:18 am
Now all install are OK,but after.reboot , show me the terminal login...
Not quite sure what you're trying to say.
If you used setup-odroid to setup a MATE Desktop it should do everything automatically for you (unless you already tried to do things manually and broke the image in the process or the SD card is full).

soncfe@163.com

Post by soncfe@163.com »

after apt-get install antimicro-odroid,
how to use mouse over joystick & LR in Debain GUI desktop ?

meveric

Post by meveric »

when you start antimicro you see a list of buttons and axis it finds for the controller.
Move the controllers and you see them shine up on the menu.
Click the one that shines up when you move around the analog stick and it will open a menu where you can map a key to the button.
In the bottom left side you will find a button that says "mouse" here you can configure mouse control, and map the axis to the mouse movements and you can map L1 / R1 to the mouse buttons.
Once you mapped it, it will already start working and you can test out the speed and such and adjust it to your liking.

soncfe@163.com

Post by soncfe@163.com »

antimicro run on 480*320 screen,I only see a litter window and difficult to setting...

meveric

Post by meveric »

open a terminal and type:

xrandr --output DSI-1 --scale 2x2
with scale 1x1 you can make it back to original size. It also supports decimals like 1.5 or 1.8 or things like that, but for antimicro 2x2 is what you need.

soncfe@163.com

Post by soncfe@163.com »

Yes,the desktop gui have worked.
Can I make a antI-micro service for automatic starting joystick?

meveric

Post by meveric »

create a script under for example with the name antimicro-mouse:

#!/bin/bash
antimicro --hidden --profile /home/odroid/mouse.xml
Make sure you made the script executable: chmod +x /usr/local/bin/antimicro-mouse

when you configure a profile in antimicro you can chose the name you want. It's an XML file although it saves it under a different name by default. Whatever name you have for your file, write the complete name behind the --profile parameter.

On your desktop under System you find Control Center and in there is startup applications (or System -> Settings -> Personal -> Startup Applications) here you add a new application and browse to the antimicro-mouse script you just created.

On the next reboot it will automatically start the script when your user logs into the desktop.

Instead of --hidden (don't show the antimicro application) you can also use --tray to put an icon in the system tray.
It also supports -d to run the application as a daemon, but I'm not sure if that will work correctly.

Shoesy

Post by Shoesy »

You can also just use the gui of anti micro to start a profile when it starts - that’s what I did.

Shoesy

Post by Shoesy »

Gpu accelerated video decode is unavailable in chromium. Any ideas how we can enable?

meveric

Post by meveric »

you can't, it's not supported.
As far as I know it's not working on any arm board, or at least not with highly modified versions of Chromium.

Shoesy

Post by Shoesy »

I used modified chromium and —use-gl=Egl which makes chromium report hardware accelerated video as on, but I still don’t think it is actually working tbh.

meveric

Post by meveric »

chromium with --use-gl=egl will use OpenGL ES for rendering support, which means, it uses hardware acceleration to render webpages. It goes as far that it even may support WebGL to an extend.
All of this uses the GPU (OpenGL) but video decoding is done by the VPU which has nothing to do with it. Hence no hardware accelerated video decoding.

Return to “Projects”