Stop for while with your hardware, It's time to think about software

smoczyna
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ordoid-u2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Stop for while with your hardware, It's time to think about software

Post by smoczyna »

I am watching Ordroid boards for while now, I'm still an owner of U2 and U3 from yours.
I am writing to you here to give you an advice. You're proudly showing of with your benchmarks comparing your boards to raspberry pi.
There is nothing wrong with it, perhaps your boards are really that good but how can I find it out ? By trying them out, right ?
Well, I tried, twice and I opted out.
You people behind that, after all interesting project, need to rethink some things I believe.
You're too much focused on the hardware and forgot that every hardware is worth nothing without proper, quality software.
That's what your boards lack.

You are a bit like Microsoft comparing to Apple. They also have been showing off with new hardware, features and benchmarks whenever they can, to cover the fact that their software sacks and no hardware can increase user satisfaction by itself.

I have switched for Raspberry because it has better quality software (and community behind it). After all who cares how much frames can be processed/shown if Netflix movie is freezing and watching anything on that particular machine simply sacks.

Think about that lads.
Gone Fan

fvolk
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, C4, H2
Has thanked: 0

Re: Stop for while with your hardware, It's time to think about software

Post by fvolk »

[This thread seems to be posted in the wrong subforum, this is not "Hardkernel News".
Someone can move this to e.g. "General Topics"?]
smoczyna wrote: You people behind that, after all interesting project, need to rethink some things I believe.
You're too much focused on the hardware and forgot that every hardware is worth nothing without proper, quality software.
That's what your boards lack.
For example, I run the identical software packages on C2, C4, H2 and x86 PC.
They work fine and identical on all platforms?
smoczyna wrote: After all who cares how much frames can be processed/shown if Netflix movie is freezing and watching anything on that particular machine simply sacks.
Hmm... I have heard about Netflix, but don't have it, nor do I want it, or want to access it via an Odroid.
Why you think Netflix is a core use case for Odroids?
smoczyna wrote: Think about that lads.
Why do you assume an all male audience?
(being a non-native English speaker, looking up "lads" in the dictionary points to a male interpretation, yes?)

I believe any feedback is good - thank you - but if Odroids are not good enough for your specific use case, maybe you can help and contribute with some porting and polishing work? Everyone on a platform wins if everyone contributes a bit of improvements - that's how open source works...
These users thanked the author fvolk for the post:
L67GS (Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:46 pm)

Return to “General Topics”