[SOLVED] Repair for Odroid-HC1?

pinaar
languages_spoken: english, spanish, german, french
ODROIDs: HC1
Been thanked: 0

[SOLVED] Repair for Odroid-HC1?

Post by pinaar »

My Odroid-HC1 is flashing the red LED after I connected the USB cable to it while it was powered up and connected to an Ethernet cable.
I believe the red LED was on steady before that, but since it's been a few years since I last used it, I didn't know how to talk to it.

I had installed OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1 on 12/9/17. I initially configured OMV 3 via ssh from my Ubuntu desktop, but arp-scan does not show its presence on my LAN now! I was troubleshooting this when I think things went south.

I was hoping to upgrade to the Odroid-C4 I would prefer to buy from Amazon and would like to reuse as much of my hardware as possible. Basically, I was thinking about just using it to serve music because my router's NAS already handles movies quite well.

Advice? Recommendations?

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Re: Repair for Odroid-HC1?

Post by mad_ady »

Check that the psu is 5V 4 or 6A and that it's stable. Though the power regulator might be blown...
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
pinaar (Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:56 am)

pinaar

Post by pinaar »

Thank you for the suggestion. I was using a 15V/4A output PS which I had assumed was the one that came with the Odroid. So, that would explain my problem since it should've been a 5V PS!
I replaced it with a 5V/4A PS that must've been the one that came with the unit because the HDD spun up and booted right away!

In the failure mode, the red LED comes on the moment I connect the power plug, then the green LED next to the HDD comes on and a moment later, the blue LED by the uSD card comes on. After several seconds, the blue LED blinks off, followed by the red LED blinking off about 1.5 seconds later and the green LED following suit within 100 mS.

So, now that the PS is stable, I see the uSD blue LED blinking twice every second. The HDD spins up every 30 seconds or so. My Ethernet port is enp0s25 and arp-scan 192.168.2.0/24 only shows the 5-port switch, 192.168.2.201 <MAC address> TP-LINK TECHNOLOGIES CO.,LTD.
So, I plugged my Ethernet cable into the Odroid and ran,
sudo ifconfig enp0s25 192.168.2.3
sudo arp-scan --interface=enp0s25 --localnet
The scan came back empty. Since my notes showed I'd once ssh'd to it at 192.168.1.15, I tried that on the browser, but that failed. http://192.168.4.1 and a few others I tried failed as well, but I didn't really think they'd work since I'd expect arp-scan to detect anything on the LAN first.

Since it seems to be working, though I'm blind as to what the Odroid sees, I could pull the uSD card out and reprogram it, but I'm at a loss about how I should proceed. I'm an EE with C/C++ expertise, but quite clueless about the best way to troubleshoot this.

BTW, the blue light still blinks twice every second. I'm just eyeballing and it could be a much shorter period.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

Try an OMV4 image in this link.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/soft ... stallation

Also check the LEDs on the RJ45 jack.
- Green LED Flashes when there is 100Mbps connectivity
- Amber LED Flashes when there is 1000Mbps connectivity
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
pinaar (Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:53 am)

L67GS
languages_spoken: English, Jibberish, Pig Latin
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

This improper voltage thing happens a lot, no disrespect though, things happen and I'm as error prone as anyone.
I was thinking as I read the above that it would be useful to have power requirements printed on the board and realized the C0, and C1+ right next to me have the voltage printed right next to the jack.
I've had one Odroid or another in my hands every day for a year and never noticed so I'm guessing all Odroids have voltage on the DC Jack label.
Perhaps HK could consider adding current rating to the DC Jack label and increase the font size on future products to make it less easy to miss?
These users thanked the author L67GS for the post (total 2):
odroid (Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:45 am) • pinaar (Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:53 am)

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

@pinaar the easiest way to find what IP your board has is to check your router's dhcp leases (or log), but this depends on your router.
If you know what your lan subnet is you can use nmap to scan your lan sudo nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24 and see what's up.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
pinaar (Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:53 am)

pinaar

Post by pinaar »

I love all the tips!
Nmap doesn't show the Odroid as expected since the router logs weren't showing any new activity. The Ethernet port is amber. I'm just going to burn the OMV image referenced above and see how this goes since it's been over three years since I loaded the previous OMV image onto the uSD card for the Odroid.

pinaar

Post by pinaar »

It's working fine now, with ubuntu-20.04-5.4-minimal-odroid-xu4-20210112.img.xz; however, OMV_4_Odroid_XU4_HC1_HC2.img.xz might've worked too.
It just so happened that nmap and arc-scan just couldn't see it from my access point (AP), i.e., I'd plugged the Odroid into my AP and assumed my LAN router's DHCP would assign it an IP address which never happened. After several hours of banging my head on the wall, I decided to run my own DHCP server on the Ethernet port on my Ubuntu desktop and it worked!
Since my Odroid is working fine this issue is closed, although I was thinking I should upgrade to the C4. My goal is a very lightweight music server only, but I can never leave well enough alone, so I'd probably want it to pull double-duty as a sentry (in honor of the BSG Reimagined, a Centurion!) This means I want an extremely low-power server that can sleep, but wake-up within a second to send alarms and notifications and be in full-power mode within 5 seconds. This means that I probably want an SSD or HDD that can stay asleep unless it needs to provide data and a very low-power main memory module and controller which I think the C4 can do. My previous sensor servers were the ESP8266 and ESP32, but I thought I needed more performance, hence my choice for the Odroid-XU4S.

Return to “General Topics”