[OS] Manjaro ARM for HC4

spikerguy
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC4

[OS] Manjaro ARM for HC4

Post by spikerguy »

Hello Everyone,

Thanks to Odroid Team for sending the HC4 Device sample.

I have compiled kernel from @tobetter source and have a working image for Odroid HC4.

I will be pushing the device support packages to Manjaro ARM Unstable branch and it will reach stable within few weeks.

Here is the first screenshot from Alpha Image. I will try to share the image on my server where users can test it out.
Update: Uploading Alpha Image from unstable branch to Stable image with everything working out of the box :D
Link Manjaro-ARM-HC4-21.04-stable
Updated to Manjaro ARM 21.04 Stable Branch
Kernel-5.11.7
Added Oled pkg to the base image for those users who have the oled screen can enable the service for the command mentioned at the bottom of this post.

Minimal
image_2021-03-11_013743.png
image_2021-03-11_013743.png (155.27 KiB) Viewed 1840 times

XFCE
Screenshot_2021-03-11_02-21-06.png
Screenshot_2021-03-11_02-21-06.png (551.77 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
Known Issues:
  1. No HW Acceleration for Video Playbak
image_2021-03-13_210104.png
image_2021-03-13_210104.png (2.39 MiB) Viewed 1747 times

Update: Odroid Oled Package have been built for Manjaro ARM OS.

Users can Install it using the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo pacman -S base-devel odroid-oled
Can enable the server using this command:

sudo systemctl enable odroid-oled --now
Odroid Oled PKGBUILD can be found here

Donation
Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.
Regards,
Manjaro ARM Team.
Last edited by spikerguy on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:08 am, edited 10 times in total.
These users thanked the author spikerguy for the post (total 2):
tobetter (Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:45 am) • ptr1337 (Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:14 pm)
Manjaro ARM Team

rooted

Re: [OS] Manjaro ARM for HC4

Post by rooted »

It's nice to see some Manjaro love on Odroid devices, I run it on my laptop and have ran it on the N2 as well.
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
spikerguy (Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:35 am)

ptr1337
languages_spoken: english, german

Post by ptr1337 »

Just flashed minimal iso my HC4 with a 500GB SSD, booted perfectly.
Running my mediaserver nas setup per docker. jellyfin is running perfectly and mostly good performance.
need to test more these days.

Thanks for your build.
These users thanked the author ptr1337 for the post:
spikerguy (Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:33 pm)

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

Thank You for testing it.

I will be working on a Ready flash image with Jellyfin and maybe nextcloud on Dockers.

I need user advice on whats the best use case ?
Manjaro ARM Team

rooted

Post by rooted »

spikerguy wrote:Thank You for testing it.

I will be working on a Ready flash image with Jellyfin and maybe nextcloud on Dockers.

There are two train of thought, there are those who use the HC4 for a smart NAS and those who use it for a desktop.

With the C4 it definitely should be a desktop based image, the HC4 needs to be able to use the C4 image and have a NAS targeted image. Two universal images should be possible since the hardware differences are minimal.

Using docker makes sense, what to include is really hard to say. Jellyfin is nice as is nextcloud, beyond that I don't know as I don't use either.

Kodi is a necessity in my opinion.

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

rooted wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:49 am
spikerguy wrote:Thank You for testing it.

There are two train of thought, there are those who use the HC4 for a smart NAS and those who use it for a desktop.

With the C4 it definitely should be a desktop based image, the HC4 needs to be able to use the C4 image and have a NAS targeted image. Two universal images should be possible since the hardware differences are minimal.

Using docker makes sense, what to include is really hard to say. Jellyfin is nice as is nextcloud, beyond that I don't know as I don't use either.

Kodi is a necessity in my opinion.
Kodi is already part of the repo.
Can be easily downloaded using this command.

sudo pacman -S kodi
We also have Chromium running under docker to get Widevine support so users can watch Netflix, amazon and use spotify.

Chromium Docker can be installed using this command

sudo pacman -S chromium-docker
Both pkgs are maintained by me. If any users have trouble with these pkg do share your feedback here.

Thank you.
These users thanked the author spikerguy for the post:
odroid (Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:43 am)
Manjaro ARM Team

rooted

Post by rooted »

That's what I meant, installable not necessarily included.

Is hardware decoding fully working in Kodi?

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

No, only Sw acceleration on kodi so far.
Need to take time today or tomorrow to try ffmpeg from chewitt branch to see if I can get hw acc for h264 on mpv.
Manjaro ARM Team

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

spikerguy wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:34 pm

Personally i use my own compose setup. For new users definitely a good idea.
But including a option like "dockermenu" with some compose-samples in, like dockerstarter (github) got, would be fine for starters.
But personally i would stay on a "clean" image without junk on it.
spikerguy (Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:43 pm)

rooted

Post by rooted »

ptr1337 wrote:
spikerguy wrote:

But including a option like "dockermenu" with some compose-samples in, like dockerstarter (github) got, would be fine for starters.
Luckily to clean unwanted docker images and containers is a single command so not difficult to remove unwanted software.
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
spikerguy (Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:43 pm)

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

ptr1337 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:32 am
spikerguy wrote:

I can agree to you point coz even i like it clean and then install what is needed, but thinking if a ready to use product for those who done know much about dockers etc.
A ready image will definitely help them with the installation process, while all they have to do it mount the hdd and use the jellyfin or nextcloud app.

Advanced uers all always free to use the minimal image. ;)
Manjaro ARM Team

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

Added Odroid OLED PKG in repo :D
Now Odroid HC4 have full support, Only thing left is VPU encoding which I have been trying using Chewitts ffmpeg source but no luck yet.

If anyone else have interest then we all can work on it together and try to get it to work.
jgmdev (Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:53 am)
Manjaro ARM Team

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

@spikerguy
Thanks for your work. But i dont have the oled version :( :p
Is the kernel actively maintained ? Is there a PKGBUILD for it ?

Regards.
spikerguy (Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:50 am)

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

ptr1337 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:22 pm
@spikerguy

Regards.
Yes the kernel PKG is maintained by me
Here is the PKGBUILD
I forgot to push the update. I will push it tonight for 5.11.4 from @tobetter source branch.

I have tested HC4 with my Spare 4TB HDD and I plan to move HC4 for production which will replace my Neo Plus2 which I have been using for a year now. Currently I have XFCE version on it maybe will just use it as it is or move to Minimal version.
Manjaro ARM Team

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

spikerguy wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:52 am
ptr1337 wrote:
@spikerguy

Regards.
Here is the PKGBUILD
I forgot to push the update. I will push it tonight for 5.11.4 from @tobetter source branch.

I have tested HC4 with my Spare 4TB HDD and I plan to move HC4 for production which will replace my Neo Plus2 which I have been using for a year now. Currently I have XFCE version on it maybe will just use it as it is or move to Minimal version.
Glad to know you are distributing kernel from my git branch, please reach me if you see anything wrong from the branch.
I am wondering how Manjaro is building the desktop image for ODROID, would you please share the link or doc for the script if you have?
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
spikerguy (Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:25 am)

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

[/quote]
Here is the PKGBUILD

[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I use the HC4 in production for my moviebox/cloud,.. . Working like a charm, running overall 15+ containers on it. Also a webserver and so on. Working like a charm, the performance vs a rpi4 is much better for my usage. The disk performance is needed for my usage. Im using a 500 GB SSD for boot/system and containers and cache for it. The storage is used by a 8 GB WD RED PLUS. Working like a charm.

Im already running 5.11.4: Linux archdroid 5.11.4-1-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 10 16:56:03 +03 2021 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Thought for updating to 5.11.6. Also would be nice for maintaining a 5.10.y kernel as lts.

regards :)
odroid (Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:35 am)

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:06 am
spikerguy wrote:
ptr1337 wrote:
@spikerguy

Regards.
Here is the PKGBUILD

Glad to know you are distributing kernel from my git branch, please reach me if you see anything wrong from the branch.
I am wondering how Manjaro is building the desktop image for ODROID, would you please share the link or doc for the script if you have?
Hello,

Yes we have a tool to build images.
Manjaro ARM Tools
Using this we make images for devices, for this to work seamlessly we have to wait for the package to reach stable branch. As we follow strict pkg flow from Unstable > Testing > Stable as it is tested but our community testers before it reaches the stable branch.

There is a well documented Forum post for users to build their own image. It is written by our Lead Maintainer Dan who have always added support to Odroid Devices himself.
Wiki How to contribute to Manjaro ARM

I would like to know what are the configs needed for Amlogic Vdec on Staging, I have tried almost all the things needed for it to work as recommended by Chewitt. I have compared most of the kernel config from LibreElec to Alarm Odroid I cannot find what I have been missing. I have also built ffmpeg with v4l2_m2m enabled using Chewitts latest source but still it fails to work with hw acceleration. Can you advice on something?

ptr1337 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:27 am
Here is the PKGBUILD

[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I use the HC4 in production for my moviebox/cloud,.. . Working like a charm, running overall 15+ containers on it. Also a webserver and so on. Working like a charm, the performance vs a rpi4 is much better for my usage. The disk performance is needed for my usage. Im using a 500 GB SSD for boot/system and containers and cache for it. The storage is used by a 8 GB WD RED PLUS. Working like a charm.

Im already running 5.11.4: Linux archdroid 5.11.4-1-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 10 16:56:03 +03 2021 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Thought for updating to 5.11.6. Also would be nice for maintaining a 5.10.y kernel as lts.

regards :)
[/quote]
I wonder why archdroid kernel says MANJARO-ARM ;)

Maintaining Lts for ARM is not really needed as for ARM every new kernel will have new device support and also many fixes on the currently supported device. Maybe we can start doing that once a fully working Linux kernel is available for arm boards where we only have to upgrade the kernel for security updates.
It is a good idea to keep LTS Support, but maybe in future.
Last edited by spikerguy on Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manjaro ARM Team

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

spikerguy wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:33 am
tobetter wrote:
spikerguy wrote:
ptr1337 wrote:
@spikerguy

Regards.
Here is the PKGBUILD

Hello,

Manjaro ARM Tools
Using this we make images for devices, for this to work seamlessly we have to wait for the package to reach stable branch. As we follow strict pkg flow from Unstable > Testing > Stable as it is tested but our community testers before it reaches the stable branch.

There is a well documented Forum post for users to build their own image. It is written by our Lead Maintainer Dan who have always added support to Odroid Devices himself.

I would like to know what are the configs needed for Amlogic Vdec on Staging, I have tried almost all the things needed for it to work as recommended by Chewitt. I have compared most of the kernel config from LibreElec to Alarm Odroid I cannot find what I have been missing. I have also built ffmpeg with v4l2_m2m enabled using Chewitts latest source but still it fails to work with hw acceleration. Can you advice on something?
Thank you for the info, and looks like you have strong test contributors...:D I was curious how Manjaro is different and built...
For VDEC support, I think Chewitt would have more knowledge than me and he could give you more detail if it still does not work. I would try Manjaro sometime soon when my time permits.

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:41 am
spikerguy wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:33 am
tobetter wrote:
spikerguy wrote:
ptr1337 wrote:
@spikerguy

Regards.
Here is the PKGBUILD

Hello,

Manjaro ARM Tools

Thank you for the info, and looks like you have strong test contributors...:D I was curious how Manjaro is different and built...
For VDEC support, I think Chewitt would have more knowledge than me and he could give you more detail if it still does not work. I would try Manjaro sometime soon when my time permits.
Thank you for the quick reply.

I have had a detailed discussion with him, I will ping him again. I am waiting for hc4 support packages to reach stable branch so I can reply these images with a Stable branch images. I am currently testing Arch Droid and see if it have HW Acc as mentioned by the developer. :D
Manjaro ARM Team

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

What you mean directly with hw accl?
I mean im running with manjaro, everything containerd. only installed ffmpeg docker docker-compose and firewall/security things and hardware transcoding is working like a charm.
Also got it behind a reverse proxy, which is again behind a reverse proxy (offshore hosted) and using a public v4 vpn (dedicated ip) and cloudflare behind my domain.
Got maximum 5-10 sec buffering at starting a 1080p 60mbits movie.
https://i.imgur.com/drUUplq.png
Why is a fucking desktop not able to handle that ?! :D

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

ptr1337 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:21 am
I mean im running with manjaro, everything containerd. only installed ffmpeg docker docker-compose and firewall/security things and hardware transcoding is working like a charm.
Also got it behind a reverse proxy, which is again behind a reverse proxy (offshore hosted) and using a public v4 vpn (dedicated ip) and cloudflare behind my domain.
I cannot understand what you mean by ffmpeg docker? when you can use the host ffmpeg.

I migrated my Jellyfin Server from my old NAS (NanoPi Neo Plus2) to HC4, Qbit torrent with web UI, Jellyfin on Docker and Nginx reverse proxy to jellyfin with ssl certificate. All my content is x264 as my old NanoPi could only handle that.
HC4 can handle it with a very little load to the cpu. I will try HW Acc for transcoding and see if that works. You can only test it when you try to play something in different resolution than its original file.
I have ffmpeg-m2m installed on HC4 which is the one from chewitt source with v4l2_m2m enabled.
Will share my feedback on transcoding.

Thanks for the reminder.
Manjaro ARM Team

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

spikerguy wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:56 pm
ptr1337 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:21 am
I cannot understand what you mean by ffmpeg docker? when you can use the host ffmpeg.

I migrated my Jellyfin Server from my old NAS (NanoPi Neo Plus2) to HC4, Qbit torrent with web UI, Jellyfin on Docker and Nginx reverse proxy to jellyfin with ssl certificate. All my content is x264 as my old NanoPi could only handle that.
HC4 can handle it with a very little load to the cpu. I will try HW Acc for transcoding and see if that works. You can only test it when you try to play something in different resolution than its original file.
I have ffmpeg-m2m installed on HC4 which is the one from chewitt source with v4l2_m2m enabled.
Will share my feedback on transcoding.

Thanks for the reminder.
Because im running my complete Stack in Docker, or how do you use your host ffmpeg with your docker image ?
You have installed chewitt's ffmpeg from the aur or compiled it yourself ?

Also is the odroid kernel on manjaro source still not updated? I can try to build myself the updated kernel with your PKGBUILD.
Ill try and see. :p

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

nvm. found your pkgbuild and builded the ffmpeg with distcc. lets see.

also build the kernel and installed it, but mostly it have not worked. maybe smth with boot or the post install

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

Hello,
Thanks for the reminder.
I have updated the kernel pkg and will be in the unstable branch soon.
Tested it on my HC4 :D
Attachments
HC4-5.11.7.png
HC4-5.11.7.png (39.93 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
Manjaro ARM Team

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

Short questions - just have done sudo pacman -Syu and there is a update for linux-vim, but the headers are missing? maybe im little bit to early? =D
Packages (1) linux-vim-5.11.7-1

Total Download Size: 45.54 MiB
Total Installed Size: 75.29 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

Not that you missed to upload the headers :D

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

No i pushed the headers along. Maybe upload failed.

Thanks for informing let me check.
Its uploaded correctly. :lol:

Maybe you pulled it to early.

You can always check the pkgs here
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-03-23-00-47-48-390_com.opera.browser.jpg
Screenshot_2021-03-23-00-47-48-390_com.opera.browser.jpg (110.29 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Manjaro ARM Team

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

Already failed the update before xD

@spikerguy

is the manjaro arm tools already updated for using the imagebuilder for creating a image? so i can use as profile hc4? or should i use just the c4 ?

Edit:
Freshly installed system, booted updated (including the headers) system is not booting anymore. the manjaro boot screen is in bootloop. have done 4 times a fresh install, every time same result.
Also your PKGBUILDS md5hash from the config file is failing.

==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-vim.preset: 'default'
  -> -k 5.11.7-1-MANJARO-ARM -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Starting build: 5.11.7-1-MANJARO-ARM
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [plymouth]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Image generation successful
(13/15) Updating linux initcpios...
(14/15) Updating uimg initcpios...
Image Name:   Ramdisk Image
Created:      Mon Mar 22 23:52:04 2021
Image Type:   AArch64 Linux RAMDisk Image (uncompressed)
Data Size:    7590558 Bytes = 7412.65 KiB = 7.24 MiB
Load Address: 00000000
Entry Point:  00000000
(15/15) Reloading system bus configuration...

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

ptr1337 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:46 am
Already failed the update before xD

@spikerguy

is the manjaro arm tools already updated for using the imagebuilder for creating a image? so i can use as profile hc4? or should i use just the c4 ?

Edit:
Freshly installed system, booted updated (including the headers) system is not booting anymore. the manjaro boot screen is in bootloop. have done 4 times a fresh install, every time same result.
Also your PKGBUILDS md5hash from the config file is failing.

(13/15) Updating linux initcpios...
(14/15) Updating uimg initcpios...
Image Name:   Ramdisk Image
Created:      Mon Mar 22 23:52:04 2021
Image Type:   AArch64 Linux RAMDisk Image (uncompressed)
Data Size:    7590558 Bytes = 7412.65 KiB = 7.24 MiB
Load Address: 00000000
Entry Point:  00000000
(15/15) Reloading system bus configuration...
No not yet for hc4 but still push it once kernel package reaches stable branch.
Hopefully by the end of this week.
Which image did you use?
Manjaro ARM Team

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

your uplinked hc4 images.
after flashing pacman -Syu then i have installed manjaro-mirrorlist (i think so calls the package) and then it have shown updates including your new kernel. after reboot got an bootloop-

btw i have petitboot installed, if that cares.

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

ptr1337 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:48 pm
your uplinked hc4 images.
after flashing pacman -Syu then i have installed manjaro-mirrorlist (i think so calls the package) and then it have shown updates including your new kernel. after reboot got an bootloop-

btw i have petitboot installed, if that cares.
Yes it should boot with petitboot, I think that come pre-installed on the spi flast isnt it ?
Are you getting any output on screen or Splashscreen of manjaro or something?
Do you have uart cable to look for the logs?

Can we have some more users to test this image and update it ? From my test I didnt face any issue though.
Manjaro ARM Team

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

No, sadly i dont got. Ive plugged my screen in and only see the manjaro logo with the circle without end. waited like 20 minutes. but nothing changes.

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

ptr1337 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:13 am
No, sadly i dont got. Ive plugged my screen in and only see the manjaro logo with the circle without end. waited like 20 minutes. but nothing changes.
ok so it is loading the kernel. can you try pressing Esc key as sometime it gets stuck on splash screen.

It should show the kernel logs and hopefully you should be able to see the OEM installer screen.
Manjaro ARM Team

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

ill start i again and try.
spikerguy (Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:47 am)

arlac77
ODROIDs: c2,xu3,xu4,hc4
Has thanked: 0

Post by arlac77 »

Why is the repo / package named linux-vim (not linux-hc4)?
spikerguy wrote:
ptr1337 wrote:
@spikerguy

Regards.
Here is the PKGBUILD

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

arlac77 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:26 am
spikerguy wrote:
ptr1337 wrote:
@spikerguy

Regards.
Here is the PKGBUILD

I have been maintaining this package since more than a year which began with Khadas Vim1 and since then it was called linux-vim I plan to rename it to linux-aml soon.

@tobetter we are facing issues with your source and latest BSP uboot for N2+
Case 1 :When we use Mainline Uboot with Your kernel source we see green screen issue
Case 2: When we use BSP latest UBOOT with Mainline kernel we have the same issue,
Case 3: When we use BSP Latest uboot along with your kernel source then the green screen is fixed.

I would like to know is there a way to fix it in uboot instead of a custom patch in kernel as this is causing other amlogic s922x devices to have green screen.

Please advice.

Thank you.
Manjaro ARM Team

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

Any update?
@tobetter

Is there anyone available to test this image and the oled package?

Need more feedbacks.

Thank you.
Manjaro ARM Team

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

spikerguy wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:15 pm
arlac77 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:26 am
spikerguy wrote:
ptr1337 wrote:
@spikerguy

Regards.
Here is the PKGBUILD

I have been maintaining this package since more than a year which began with Khadas Vim1 and since then it was called linux-vim I plan to rename it to linux-aml soon.

@tobetter we are facing issues with your source and latest BSP uboot for N2+
Case 1 :When we use Mainline Uboot with Your kernel source we see green screen issue
Case 2: When we use BSP latest UBOOT with Mainline kernel we have the same issue,
Case 3: When we use BSP Latest uboot along with your kernel source then the green screen is fixed.

I would like to know is there a way to fix it in uboot instead of a custom patch in kernel as this is causing other amlogic s922x devices to have green screen.

Please advice.

Thank you.
Sorry, what's green screen issue?

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

Hello
This commit of yours: Ice08001c967c39b638ab534453b784c2958ff7f0
(DO NOT MERGE) ODROID-COMMON: drm/meson: not load RGB709 to
YUV709 coefficient
Manjaro ARM Team

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

spikerguy wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:25 pm
Hello
YUV709 coefficient
Sorry, I have not tried to fix it in U-boot since I only work based on Hardkernel's 2015.01 U-boot.

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:27 pm
spikerguy wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:25 pm
Hello
YUV709 coefficient
Sorry, I have not tried to fix it in U-boot since I only work based on Hardkernel's 2015.01 U-boot.
The concern I have is that I try to use the pkg I build from your source for other Amlogic based devices too which mostly follows mainline uboot. So it you target this specifically for BSP Uboot then mainline uboot users will have a problem.
While for the N2 devices we have tested this on. This fix works when using the latest hardkernel bsp uboot.

We will have to find a way to fix it as per the upstream mainline method so we can use it for all the use cases.
Manjaro ARM Team

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

Kernel-5.11.7
Added Oled pkg to the base image for those users who have the oled screen can enable the service using this command
ptr1337 (Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:08 am)
Manjaro ARM Team

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

spikerguy wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:10 am

Kernel-5.11.7
Added Oled pkg to the base image for those users who have the oled screen can enable the service using this command
I used the last time the ubuntu branch, but after todays kernel update it got broken again x).
I will switch back to manjaro.

Is your PKGBUILD with 5.11.13 running ?

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

Just flashed the minimal stable image and its not booting, got a boot loop like the last time.

Also dont get any kernel logs are anything else.

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

ptr1337 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:10 am
spikerguy wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:10 am

Kernel-5.11.7
I used the last time the ubuntu branch, but after todays kernel update it got broken again x).
I will switch back to manjaro.

Is your PKGBUILD with 5.11.13 running ?
I have 5.11.13 queued to be pushed to unstable tomorrow.

Can you share now information on what you have on your spi ? How do you boot the system? As I am just following what is the default bootloader on hc4 which was sent to me with it already installed.

Have to tried to reboot it multiple times?
Manjaro ARM Team

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

ptr1337 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:28 am
Just flashed the minimal stable image and its not booting, got a boot loop like the last time.

Do you see any boot screen? I have personally tested the images and they have works fine on my test.

Might need some more users to test it for me. @odroid @tobetter. Can you guys test these images in your free time?

Thank you.
Manjaro ARM Team

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

spikerguy wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:09 am
ptr1337 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:28 am

Do you see any boot screen? I have personally tested the images and they have works fine on my test.

Might need some more users to test it for me. @odroid @tobetter. Can you guys test these images in your free time?

Thank you.
Yes, i just saw the manjaro bootscreen. waited like 15 min, clicked then ESC, and so on to get into another tty but not worked so far.

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

So, ive installed the alpha and it booted ==> not my failure.
Updating the system --> no booting anymore.

There is something with your bootscripts.

Edit:

First I was happy about the HC4 because the SATA transfer speed and for my purposes, but really no os is stable.
I don't want to be angry to you guys, since everything is mostly community maintained.

But if I where hard kernel, why the fuck I should sell as a "NAS" SBC, which isn't stable anywhere?
Really sad. Last time using a odroid, maybe I get it sold anywhere.

spikerguy

Post by spikerguy »

Hey,
I am using HC4 as my Nas and jellyfin in production and I do update it regularly.

I don't seem to have any issue. I will see if there is any update today on my stable built image and share the screenshots with you.
Currently I am only using hardkernel uboot on my images which boots very well with the petite boot installed on the SPI flash.

Do you have Uart cable to share the output of the boot? That will help me understand what is going wrong with your boot process.

Once again I would request @odroid or @tobetter to try my image and update it to latest and see if there is any issue in their end.

Update: I updated my hc4 over my VPN. Here is the screenshot of it fully updated and rebooted after update.
Using stable branch as shown in the screenshot below.
Screenshot_2021-04-20-04-33-28-874_com.sonelli.juicessh.jpg
Screenshot_2021-04-20-04-33-28-874_com.sonelli.juicessh.jpg (115.74 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Everything is working perfectly fine for me. This server have my Nas, Web Torrent and Jellyfin running. If this goes down then I get a call from my neice as her animation movies stop working hahaha.

You can see jellyfin and web torrent running in the htop screenshot below.
Screenshot_2021-04-20-04-37-24-188_com.sonelli.juicessh.jpg
Screenshot_2021-04-20-04-37-24-188_com.sonelli.juicessh.jpg (472.64 KiB) Viewed 562 times
I don't understand why it is not working after update. You will have to share uart logs for more detail.
Manjaro ARM Team

brad
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2 N2+ H2 H2+ (64 bit ftw)

Post by brad »

ptr1337 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:40 pm
So, ive installed the alpha and it booted ==> not my failure.
Updating the system --> no booting anymore.

There is something with your bootscripts.

Edit:

First I was happy about the HC4 because the SATA transfer speed and for my purposes, but really no os is stable.
I don't want to be angry to you guys, since everything is mostly community maintained.

But if I where hard kernel, why the fuck I should sell as a "NAS" SBC, which isn't stable anywhere?
Really sad. Last time using a odroid, maybe I get it sold anywhere.
Strange, I am using HC4 with tobetter focal minimal, mainline, and BTRFS in raid 0 configuration. I had 1 issue which I resolved 6 months ago and has been very stable since. It is up 24x7 and has only been restarted for updates. It gets very heavy usage for backups.

ptr1337

Post by ptr1337 »

spikerguy wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:40 am
Hey,
I am using HC4 as my Nas and jellyfin in production and I do update it regularly.

I don't seem to have any issue. I will see if there is any update today on my stable built image and share the screenshots with you.
Currently I am only using hardkernel uboot on my images which boots very well with the petite boot installed on the SPI flash.

Do you have Uart cable to share the output of the boot? That will help me understand what is going wrong with your boot process.

Once again I would request @odroid or @tobetter to try my image and update it to latest and see if there is any issue in their end.

Update: I updated my hc4 over my VPN. Here is the screenshot of it fully updated and rebooted after update.
Using stable branch as shown in the screenshot below.

Screenshot_2021-04-20-04-33-28-874_com.sonelli.juicessh.jpg

Everything is working perfectly fine for me. This server have my Nas, Web Torrent and Jellyfin running. If this goes down then I get a call from my neice as her animation movies stop working hahaha.

You can see jellyfin and web torrent running in the htop screenshot below.
Screenshot_2021-04-20-04-37-24-188_com.sonelli.juicessh.jpg

I don't understand why it is not working after update. You will have to share uart logs for more detail.
Mostly i dont now also, the alpha version is booting fine. then updating with the unstable branch, reboot --> same issue again.

I give it one more try. And flash with another tool.
right now running tobetters buster iso, and this works so far, but im a arch guy. :D i hate debian systems.

ill give a feedback.

Return to “Other OS”