Third party OS images and hardware mods
ptrm
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: Go, Go Advance

Re: RRVL (Retro Roller) OGA 1.0/1.1; OGS

Post by ptrm »

raidenii wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:29 am
If you delete the remaps, does that issue persist?

Also try https://filetrip.net/gba-downloads/home ... 32301.html to see if the button test is correct - unfortunately I don't have OGS so I can't reproduce this.
20210209_105858.jpg
20210209_105858.jpg (353.5 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
Older mgba core did not help, but removing default L2 (11) assignment for turbo L did the job. Hope this helps debugging the issue, I'm up for further tests if needed.

And yes, scripts were meant to be put somewehere along _rrvl ones, I didn't actually consider overclocling may fail indeed :)

kelbot
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, HC2 x2, Go

Post by kelbot »

I have updated and rebooted and updated core info files but I do not see an mpv core in the online updater.

silverthornne
ODROIDs: ODROID GO Advance

Post by silverthornne »

This is a very good distribution for the OGS but it was giving me issues with my Wifi dongle that I don't experience with the official release, so it's not my daily driver. Will keep an eye out for updates though!

valadaa48
ODROIDs: odroid go advance

Post by valadaa48 »

kelbot wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:53 pm
I have updated and rebooted and updated core info files but I do not see an mpv core in the online updater.
Can you check again, it's called MPV in the Core Downloader.

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

silverthornne wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:58 pm
This is a very good distribution for the OGS but it was giving me issues with my Wifi dongle that I don't experience with the official release, so it's not my daily driver. Will keep an eye out for updates though!
Can you elaborate on the wifi issues? Were you able to see ssids? Is the problem that you were having trouble to connect? If so latest image fixes connecting to WiFi endpoints with special characters either in the name or passphrase.

kelbot

Post by kelbot »

valadaa48 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:25 am

Can you check again, it's called MPV in the Core Downloader.
It is there now thanks.

silverthornne

Post by silverthornne »

valadaa48 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:26 am
Can you elaborate on the wifi issues? Were you able to see ssids? Is the problem that you were having trouble to connect? If so latest image fixes connecting to WiFi endpoints with special characters either in the name or passphrase.
It was more a matter of inconsistencies. The kind of thing that I know drives developers insane because I'm a developer :)

The first time I booted it up, it recognized my Wifi dongle and connected to my network without issues so I connected via SSH and configured it fine. However, it's been a very frustrating issue after that first reboot. It sees networks sometimes, it doesn't most of the time. I have to remove the dongle and reconnect it, refresh the network list, even hard reboot to get it to work now. Sometimes it connects, I SSH in, and then it suddenly disconnects and when I go to check on the Network, it has an IPV6 IP address instead of an IPV4 address. It can't do manual updates when that happens, so I think that IPV6 address is just a placeholder because it actually lost communication with the dongle somehow. That's with a Wifi only dongle; I also have a BT+Wifi dongle that works great with the reference image but has never been recognized by this image.

My network has an _ in the name; not sure if that's a special character in this context and the reason why I am having issues. If that's the case, I'll reflash with an image that fixes that and try again as I really did like this image.

Slaminger
languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: XU4, N2, N2+, C2, C4, OGA, OGA-BE, H2+, OGS, OGST

Post by Slaminger »

https://github.com/Retro-Arena/ARES-Binaries

The Retro Arena and ARES prebuilt emulator and core binaries are open to the public, if anyone ever needs to grab a core to test something quick. N2 cores work for aarch64 and xu4 for armhf or arm32 testing.
These users thanked the author Slaminger for the post:
sonew (Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:58 am)

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

silverthornne wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:43 am
valadaa48 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:26 am
It was more a matter of inconsistencies. The kind of thing that I know drives developers insane because I'm a developer :)

The first time I booted it up, it recognized my Wifi dongle and connected to my network without issues so I connected via SSH and configured it fine. However, it's been a very frustrating issue after that first reboot. It sees networks sometimes, it doesn't most of the time. I have to remove the dongle and reconnect it, refresh the network list, even hard reboot to get it to work now. Sometimes it connects, I SSH in, and then it suddenly disconnects and when I go to check on the Network, it has an IPV6 IP address instead of an IPV4 address. It can't do manual updates when that happens, so I think that IPV6 address is just a placeholder because it actually lost communication with the dongle somehow. That's with a Wifi only dongle; I also have a BT+Wifi dongle that works great with the reference image but has never been recognized by this image.

My network has an _ in the name; not sure if that's a special character in this context and the reason why I am having issues. If that's the case, I'll reflash with an image that fixes that and try again as I really did like this image.
Yeah I know how annoying it can be with spotty Wifi. RRVL latest should have the same drivers as stock kernel.

Since you're technical, it may be easiest to run nmcli directly to be sure. You can rm /var/service/retroarch then reboot and switch to tty2 or 3 with a usb keyboard, login, then run nmcli cmds directly and also see if there's any errors in dmesg etc...

What wifi dongle do you have?

silverthornne

Post by silverthornne »

It's an AC650 dongle that uses the RTL8821CU chip:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

I'll see if I get a chance to try your suggestion later today.

kelbot

Post by kelbot »

I have similar issues with my RTL8188CUS dongle.

ptrm

Post by ptrm »

ptrm wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:06 pm

Older mgba core did not help, but removing default L2 (11) assignment for turbo L did the job. Hope this helps debugging the issue, I'm up for further tests if needed.
Actually, in other cores (Flycast atm) dpad right also does not work on ogs :D

raidenii
ODROIDs: N2, OGA

Post by raidenii »

ptrm wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:22 am
ptrm wrote:

Sounds like issues with keymap in OS/RA level rather than individual cores.

ptrm

Post by ptrm »

raidenii wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:02 am
ptrm wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:22 am
ptrm wrote:

Sounds like issues with keymap in OS/RA level rather than individual cores.
To complete the description: I have hotkey (f2) bindings set for vol up to dpad right and save slot -1 to L2, and they work fine.

ptrm

Post by ptrm »

ptrm wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:13 am
To complete the description: I have hotkey (f2) bindings set for vol up to dpad right and save slot -1 to L2, and they work fine.
I remapped the input in Settings -> Input -> Port 1 Controls pressing L2 and R2, here's what the values are for me on OGS. (As for L3 / R3, these are leftmost and rightmost F buttons, I did not actually check i the remap was needed):
20210211_130558.jpg
20210211_130558.jpg (45.28 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
Sorry for multiposting on the same issue, but I hope this one is at least a helpful reference for anyone with the same problem :)

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

on next update RRVL suspend and resume is now faster
These users thanked the author valadaa48 for the post (total 2):
PlasticExistence (Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:09 am) • ptrm (Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:53 am)

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

RRVL kernel 19 (latest update) fixes 2 kernel bugs:

1) dwc2 not working on resume without rmmod'ing it
2) rk817_codec resetting volume to max on resume

I'll pass these to HK but I figure you all can test this and let it bake in to be sure. The result is much faster suspend/resume as mentioned before and also the volume level shouldn't glitch on resume.
These users thanked the author valadaa48 for the post:
notime2d8 (Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:32 pm)

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

valadaa48 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:58 am

I'll pass these to HK but I figure you all can test this and let it bake in to be sure. The result is much faster suspend/resume as mentioned before and also the volume level shouldn't glitch on resume.
Man, I tried to find out how to donate you a drink. It took a few tweaks but your changes fixes the dwc2 driver in my 4.19.161 kernel too. I tried it about 8 times, watched it over UART, tried a jumpdrive, headset, camera, and it seems to be fixed fixed. Bravo. I'm really happy about this.
These users thanked the author notime2d8 for the post:
valadaa48 (Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:53 pm)
If I say something that sounds smart or like i know what i'm talking about....i'm faking it.

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

notime2d8 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:40 pm
valadaa48 wrote:

Man, I tried to find out how to donate you a drink. It took a few tweaks but your changes fixes the dwc2 driver in my 4.19.161 kernel too. I tried it about 8 times, watched it over UART, tried a jumpdrive, headset, camera, and it seems to be fixed fixed. Bravo. I'm really happy about this.
You're welcome. Did you need to apply any additional patches to get it working? I still consider it experimental although it's working well for me. It seems as though esp8089 from the BE still has to be rmmod'd as it itself appears to have a suspend bug...

I am getting a report from a 8821cu wifi user that their wifi has become spotty recently, not sure if it's related to this or something else. It's quite difficult to troubleshoot people's wifi issues if you don't have their devices and can't reproduce locally!

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

valadaa48 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:56 pm
notime2d8 wrote:
valadaa48 wrote:

You're welcome. Did you need to apply any additional patches to get it working? I still consider it experimental although it's working well for me. It seems as though esp8089 from the BE still has to be rmmod'd as it itself appears to have a suspend bug...

I am getting a report from a 8821cu wifi user that their wifi has become spotty recently, not sure if it's related to this or something else. It's quite difficult to troubleshoot people's wifi issues if you don't have their devices and can't reproduce locally!
No, the only changes I had to make were due to naming changes.

And yes, I'm on my 3rd driver trying to figure which one works best. But WiFi signal clutter, interference, and slow downs are hard to diagnose over the internet.
If I say something that sounds smart or like i know what i'm talking about....i'm faking it.

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

notime2d8 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:19 pm
valadaa48 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:56 pm
notime2d8 wrote:
valadaa48 wrote:

No, the only changes I had to make were due to naming changes.

And yes, I'm on my 3rd driver trying to figure which one works best. But WiFi signal clutter, interference, and slow downs are hard to diagnose over the internet.
So in the debugging with 송재환 it seems the wifi issues weren't due to the kernel changes but rather that a new update ran retroarch in realtime via chrt -rr 99 and apparently there was some starvation or something. I reverted that change and all is good.
silverthornne (Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:29 am)

NukeLassic
ODROIDs: ODROID Go Advance-BE
Been thanked: 0

Post by NukeLassic »

I'm not sure if it's this update, or if I've missed something, but attempting to launch Spring PSX RrARMed-32 Bit as my PlayStation core will briefly show a black screen then eject me back to the RetroArch menu. Some PlayStation games used to have this error, but not all of them seem to.

Using the most recent RRVL version, all PlayStation files in .chd file format.

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

NukeLassic wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:42 pm
I'm not sure if it's this update, or if I've missed something, but attempting to launch Spring PSX RrARMed-32 Bit as my PlayStation core will briefly show a black screen then eject me back to the RetroArch menu. Some PlayStation games used to have this error, but not all of them seem to.

are your bios files in place? It's working here.

Also, if you're using chd you may want to update duckstation and try that. I find it to be pretty good especially if you overclock to 1.5GHz.

ashmck73
ODROIDs: Go Advance, Go Super
Has thanked: 0

Post by ashmck73 »

I've been trying to get Retro Roller working on my OG Super but just get some coloured horizontal lines when switching on. I just noticed as part of the install process it says to flash uboot. What is meant by this - I'm guessing this is what is needed to get passed the issue I'm having.

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

If you downloaded the latest image you shouldn't have any issue with flashing on OGS. Try another OS to make sure it's not your device.

NukeLassic

Post by NukeLassic »

valadaa48 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:57 pm
NukeLassic wrote:

Also, if you're using chd you may want to update duckstation and try that. I find it to be pretty good especially if you overclock to 1.5GHz.
Just to be clear, this is on the OGA-BE. These were games I had previously played on this same machine, and worked previously. BIOS files appear to be in place and unchanged (unless RRVL is looking in a different place now than previously? My BIOS files are still in /roms/bios ), but I'm still getting dumped back to the Retroarch menu when I try to launch.

On further experimenting, looks to also be the case with Spring Flycast, but not Spring Mugen64Plus.

I'll try DuckStation with the overclock. There are a few games that didn't seem to play too nicely with it at stock speed, but hopefully overclock addresses the bulk of those. (Also, anyone familiar with how to convert saves from PCSX ReARMed's format to Duckstation's would be appreciated.)

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

NukeLassic wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:20 am
valadaa48 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:57 pm
NukeLassic wrote:

Just to be clear, this is on the OGA-BE. These were games I had previously played on this same machine, and worked previously. BIOS files appear to be in place and unchanged (unless RRVL is looking in a different place now than previously? My BIOS files are still in /roms/bios ), but I'm still getting dumped back to the Retroarch menu when I try to launch.

On further experimenting, looks to also be the case with Spring Flycast, but not Spring Mugen64Plus.

I'll try DuckStation with the overclock. There are a few games that didn't seem to play too nicely with it at stock speed, but hopefully overclock addresses the bulk of those. (Also, anyone familiar with how to convert saves from PCSX ReARMed's format to Duckstation's would be appreciated.)
You can try running it from ssh after doing `sudo sv stop retroarch` something like `retroarch32 -v -L /usr/arm/opt/libretro/pcsx_rearmed_libretro.so <rom>` and check the output to see what's going on.

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

Moonlight added to RRVL. Update and reboot.

Follow instructions in /boot/rrvl.defaults to set it up. You will need to ssh in and pair manually I think just one time.

EDIT: you can install it with xpbs-install -Su moonlight-embedded
Josh86 (Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:48 am)

ptrm

Post by ptrm »

What are the chances for Xash3d in the near future? I see it ported already (viewtopic.php?p=319574#p319574) and use it successfuly with a dedicated batocera sd card just to run half life. But special effects make the fps drop to 20 and 1.5GHz overclock available on RRVL would be of great advantage :)

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

ptrm wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:46 pm
What are the chances for Xash3d in the near future? I see it ported already (viewtopic.php?p=319574#p319574) and use it successfuly with a dedicated batocera sd card just to run half life. But special effects make the fps drop to 20 and 1.5GHz overclock available on RRVL would be of great advantage :)
Agreed it may run a bit better on 64bit + OC. For chances, I'd say it's up to finding someone willing to port it over. =)

Josh86

Post by Josh86 »

Xash3d was running quite well, performance-wise, on 4.0 test versions of EmuElec. Much of the time at 60FPS with some dips down to 30 or so depending. Mods and custom content seemed to somewhat work (like TFC) and could be...like, hotloaded...but might need to be built with the support in mind as the DLLs being used were not the custom ones needed for the mod to function correctly. Multiplayer also worked (local play between a Windows machine hosting a hotspot and my OGA).

The engine did crash sometimes though (segfaults from the console output) during map loading transitions when I started playing through Half-Life. There were times when I could play a good hour straight with no issue. Other times it would crash on the first map load (c1a0 or c1a1). Only to work again right afterward. So not a repeatable crash per se, but the map transitions were the reason it happened.

RetroElec also has Xash3d.

NukeLassic

Post by NukeLassic »

I'm not sure if it's an issue with just me, but my screen will occasionally black out randomly. I can't find a particular cause for it, it happens in all emulators and even just in Retroarch menu. Putting the OGA in standby and coming out of it will fix the black screen, so it's only a minor issue, but seems worth bringing up on the off-chance it isn't just me and an issue affecting others too.

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

NukeLassic wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:04 pm
I'm not sure if it's an issue with just me, but my screen will occasionally black out randomly. I can't find a particular cause for it, it happens in all emulators and even just in Retroarch menu. Putting the OGA in standby and coming out of it will fix the black screen, so it's only a minor issue, but seems worth bringing up on the off-chance it isn't just me and an issue affecting others too.
If you just update and reboot it should go away.

loaidheach
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO Super

Post by loaidheach »

I got my OGS a few days ago and installing RRVL worked like a charm, but for the life of me I can't get my WIFI running (although I can get online via USB tethering with my phone). It's a TP-LINK AC600 T2U Archer nano, which has a RTL8811au chipset (which I thought should work). Since I can't connect via ssh and have the WIFI stick connected, debugging is a bit annoying.
lsusb lists the stick, but the rtl8812au module isn't loaded. Manually loading it doesn't change anything, the device is not detected. On my desktop I installed the the driver from https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au. I tried building that (directly on the OGS) against 4.4.189_RRVL-23, but that also failed finally because of a missing elfconfig.h in the kernel-headers package (the elfconfig.h from the 4.4.189_8 doesn't work).
Is there any way to get this stick running on RRVL at this moment? Am I maybe just missing something obvious?

//edit: I am not hell-bent on the T2U, I'm open to buy another stick that's known to working (I saw someone on reddit suggest the TP-Link TL-WN725N for the OGA on stock ROM)
These users thanked the author loaidheach for the post:
valadaa48 (Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:42 am)

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

loaidheach wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:17 pm
I got my OGS a few days ago and installing RRVL worked like a charm, but for the life of me I can't get my WIFI running (although I can get online via USB tethering with my phone). It's a TP-LINK AC600 T2U Archer nano, which has a RTL8811au chipset (which I thought should work). Since I can't connect via ssh and have the WIFI stick connected, debugging is a bit annoying.
lsusb lists the stick, but the rtl8812au module isn't loaded. Manually loading it doesn't change anything, the device is not detected. On my desktop I installed the the driver from https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au. I tried building that (directly on the OGS) against 4.4.189_RRVL-23, but that also failed finally because of a missing elfconfig.h in the kernel-headers package (the elfconfig.h from the 4.4.189_8 doesn't work).
Is there any way to get this stick running on RRVL at this moment? Am I maybe just missing something obvious?

//edit: I am not hell-bent on the T2U, I'm open to buy another stick that's known to working (I saw someone on reddit suggest the TP-Link TL-WN725N for the OGA on stock ROM)
Someone else also has this issue. EmuELEC includes the out of tree module separately and apparently works. Void Linux has that same module as a DKMS package which is the preferred way of installing it but as you already noticed the kernel headers aren't 100% intact to be able to build it. I spent an hour trying to clean it up in kernel -23 but it still needs some more work. You can try moving over or extracting the kernel source and trying to get it to compile but I agree it's a lot of work. I think the better option is if HK placed the module with the out of tree version that works better so each OS doesn't need to build this separately.

FWIW, I've used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M6YB838 from the beginning and it's never failed me.

loaidheach

Post by loaidheach »

valadaa48 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:42 am
loaidheach wrote:

Someone else also has this issue. EmuELEC includes the out of tree module separately and apparently works. Void Linux has that same module as a DKMS package which is the preferred way of installing it but as you already noticed the kernel headers aren't 100% intact to be able to build it. I spent an hour trying to clean it up in kernel -23 but it still needs some more work. You can try moving over or extracting the kernel source and trying to get it to compile but I agree it's a lot of work. I think the better option is if HK placed the module with the out of tree version that works better so each OS doesn't need to build this separately.

FWIW, I've used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M6YB838 from the beginning and it's never failed me.
I don't know why I haven't thought of the full kernel sources. I got it working with RRVL-headers, some stuff from the vanilla kernel and ignoring an error with openssl. I will post the full steps here once I redid it from a fresh install.
Last edited by loaidheach on Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

loaidheach wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:24 am
valadaa48 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:42 am
loaidheach wrote:

I don't know why I haven't thought of the full kernel sources. I got it working with RRVL-headers, some stuff from the vanilla kernel and ignoring an error with openssl. I will post the full steps here once I redid it from a fresh install.
Nice work! Can you perhaps post the ko so the other users can give it a try? It should work for everyone as long as I don't update the kernel. Also can you confirm if it needs any firmware that isn't available? modinfo should report it.

I guess for integrating it we can do a few things: 1) somehow pull in that tree when RRVL/Void builds the kernel and copies the ko to the modules dir (this is what EE does) 2) Just use the dkms as it's officially supported by Void Linux. We'd have to fix the headers package so it can build. This will also cause dkms recompiles each time the kernel is upgraded for everyone whether or not they use that module... 3) Try to slipstream this driver into the HK kernel

I think (3) might be the best option.
loaidheach (Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:13 pm)

loaidheach

Post by loaidheach »

valadaa48 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:18 am

Nice work! Can you perhaps post the ko so the other users can give it a try? It should work for everyone as long as I don't update the kernel. Also can you confirm if it needs any firmware that isn't available? modinfo should report it.

I guess for integrating it we can do a few things: 1) somehow pull in that tree when RRVL/Void builds the kernel and copies the ko to the modules dir (this is what EE does) 2) Just use the dkms as it's officially supported by Void Linux. We'd have to fix the headers package so it can build. This will also cause dkms recompiles each time the kernel is upgraded for everyone whether or not they use that module... 3) Try to slipstream this driver into the HK kernel

I think (3) might be the best option.
At this point it's all a bit hacky, but this should be enough to get the headers kind of into shape to dkms. Since the dkms driver is a different package it would be ok, but should not be installed by default. I agree, option (3) would be the best option, because it would benefit all distros on the OGA/OGS.

The module does not appear to require any additional firmware and does not depend on any other modules.

So here we go…

Build Instructions
Disclaimer: Using the pre-built module or following these instructions is obviously at your own risk.

Pre-built Module
For those who need it but don't want to build it, you can download my compiled module
for 4.4.189_RRVL-23 from here.
Just copy it to /lib/modules/4.4.189_RRVL-23/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/88XXau.ko .

Build Instructions

This starts from a fresh install with updates installed and rebooted. This assumes you are working as root, since most (if not all) commands require root privileges anyway, you can get them by starting a root shell with sudo -i, but you can also put sudo in front of every command.
Start by installing all needed packages

Code: Select all

xbps-install -y bc odroid-go2-rrvl-kernel-headers gcc python
To make this a bit more sustainable we use three variables. These are taken from the currently running kernel. If you just updated the system and want to compile the module before rebooting, set these manually to match the latest installed kernel.

KERNEL_VERSION=$(uname -v) # e.g. 4.4.189
KERNEL_RELEASE=$(uname -r) # e.g. 4.4.189_RRVL-23
KERNEL_FAMILY=v${KERNEL_VERSION%%.*}.x # e.g. v4.x
Download and extract the vanilla sources, copy the missing stuff and move some stuff around. Obviously you can skip the download if $KERNEL_VERSION has not changed. Instead of linking via ln you can probably just move the files over, but I haven't tried it.

cd /usr/src
wget https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/${KERNEL_FAMILY}/linux-${KERNEL_VERSION}.tar.gz -O- | tar xz
cd kernel-headers-${KERNEL_RELEASE}
mkdir arch/arm/include
ln -s $PWD/arch/arm/* arch/arm/include/
cp -r /usr/src/linux-${KERNEL_VERSION}/arch/arm64/kernel arch/arm64
cp -r /usr/src/linux-${KERNEL_VERSION}/tools .
cp /boot/config-${KERNEL_RELEASE} .config
Now we need to prepare the kernel sources for module building and include the config of the running kernel. The modules_prepare step will fail due to a missing openssl header (openssl-devel is not available), but the part relevant for us is done.

cp /boot/config-${KERNEL_RELEASE} .config .
make oldconfig
make modules_prepare
Finally we can build the module, it will take a while. The -j4 parameter tells make to use four compile threads to use all cores. If cross-compiling, adjust this to your core count. If the build process fails for any reason, use make clean and run make without any parameters before reporting any bugs.

cd /usr/src
git clone https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au.git
cd rtl8812au
make -j4 && make install
This should be it.
For some reason I can't see/connect to 5GHz networks, but 2.4GHz works fine.
These users thanked the author loaidheach for the post:
valadaa48 (Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:34 pm)

cplr
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance

Post by cplr »

Is there a way to not get the main retroarch config to save on quit/shutdown/reboot? I have this set to false in my cfg:

config_save_on_exit = "false"

However no matter what I change, it's always saved when I shut down the OGA. Is there another mechanism that's writing the config to disk? Is this a RetroArch bug, or is there something that's not visible to me as a user doing this?

Thanks!

stellarvelocity
ODROIDs: OGA 1.1

Post by stellarvelocity »

I think I have might have an issue with the latest update.

I turned on my OGS today to play some PSX (after using it fine the last few days) and I noticed that my custom logo.bmp didn't load, and it was trying to display the OG-A scaled logo. Then it wouldn't load the Spring PSCX core at all. I did a couple of update checks, and when it rebooted I get the HARD KERNEL logo and then it drops straight into RA. No Logo.BMP at all. Upon checking via SFTP, the file has been deleted from the SD card!

I still couldn't get the PCSX Spring Core to work, but I tested all other cores were working and everything was up-to-date. I reset RVVL with the .sh in the rom folder, and it still didn't fix the issue.

As a last-ditch I deleted the cores and every Spring_Core I had, to be sure where the error for PCSX issue was - and now I can't redownload them! I went into Core Downloader, and I can download any core (example, Rick Dangerous Core) and it downloads quick and installs. However, all of the Spring_Cores hit 50% exactly and stop. I have four of them loaded on screen right now, and they're all stuck at 50% even after several power cycles and SD Card pulls.

Any idea what's happening? I would suspect a bad SD but all the other roms and cores are working fine, and downloading correctly. I read elsewhere on the forum that Moonlight PulseAudio was causing issues with PCSX, and I did try to get Moonlight working last week, but I haven't had any issues since then. Any thoughts?

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

stellarvelocity wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:24 am

I turned on my OGS today to play some PSX (after using it fine the last few days) and I noticed that my custom logo.bmp didn't load, and it was trying to display the OG-A scaled logo. Then it wouldn't load the Spring PSCX core at all. I did a couple of update checks, and when it rebooted I get the HARD KERNEL logo and then it drops straight into RA. No Logo.BMP at all. Upon checking via SFTP, the file has been deleted from the SD card!

I still couldn't get the PCSX Spring Core to work, but I tested all other cores were working and everything was up-to-date. I reset RVVL with the .sh in the rom folder, and it still didn't fix the issue.

As a last-ditch I deleted the cores and every Spring_Core I had, to be sure where the error for PCSX issue was - and now I can't redownload them! I went into Core Downloader, and I can download any core (example, Rick Dangerous Core) and it downloads quick and installs. However, all of the Spring_Cores hit 50% exactly and stop. I have four of them loaded on screen right now, and they're all stuck at 50% even after several power cycles and SD Card pulls.

Any idea what's happening? I would suspect a bad SD but all the other roms and cores are working fine, and downloading correctly. I read elsewhere on the forum that Moonlight PulseAudio was causing issues with PCSX, and I did try to get Moonlight working last week, but I haven't had any issues since then. Any thoughts?
Most of the discussion about RRVL is done in the discord chat and since people complained that we don't have a way to dynamically choose the right size logo, we removed the logo altogether. Someone added a wiki entry on how to add custom logos though. You can try finding it.

So we finally rm -rf'd 32bit completely now that we have opks working. Literally the only thing using 32bit is pcsx rearmed (and you should really just switch to duckstation, it's much better anyway). I suspect something broke there. I tried reproducing it on a newly flashed image but I couldn't. Maybe others can chime in with their experience with pcsx rearmed and if it's broken for them? One user said it is working for some but not other games.

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

valadaa48 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:28 pm
stellarvelocity wrote:

Most of the discussion about RRVL is done in the discord chat and since people complained that we don't have a way to dynamically choose the right size logo, we removed the logo altogether. Someone added a wiki entry on how to add custom logos though. You can try finding it.

So we finally rm -rf'd 32bit completely now that we have opks working. Literally the only thing using 32bit is pcsx rearmed (and you should really just switch to duckstation, it's much better anyway). I suspect something broke there. I tried reproducing it on a newly flashed image but I couldn't. Maybe others can chime in with their experience with pcsx rearmed and if it's broken for them? One user said it is working for some but not other games.
FYI we believe we found the issue with pcsx_rearmed. You can do an update and it should work now. If you lost your spring files, then just run `sudo xbps-install -Sf libretro-core-info rr-base` and you should be good.

stellarvelocity
ODROIDs: OGA 1.1

Post by stellarvelocity »

valadaa48 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:39 pm
valadaa48 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:28 pm
stellarvelocity wrote:

FYI we believe we found the issue with pcsx_rearmed. You can do an update and it should work now. If you lost your spring files, then just run `sudo xbps-install -Sf libretro-core-info rr-base` and you should be good.
I ran the script, and updated, and the Spring Command/Cores are back. I still can't get PCSX Rearmed to launch, and Duckstation doesn't work with my .pbp format images; and when I load a bin/cue performance is really really bad even with 1x Internal Resolution and Geometry Correction turned off. When I try to load a ROM manually or from playlist with PCSXR it just drops me back on the RA menu.

I can try to format my SD Card and start over with a fresh flash, but it'll take me awhile with 200GB of ROMS and saves to reload. That may be the only solution, so I'll backup my saves tonight and let you know tomorrow. Thanks for looking into this for me!

sonew

Post by sonew »

Slaminger wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:02 am
https://github.com/Retro-Arena/ARES-Binaries

The Retro Arena and ARES prebuilt emulator and core binaries are open to the public, if anyone ever needs to grab a core to test something quick. N2 cores work for aarch64 and xu4 for armhf or arm32 testing.
Thank you so much for the cores ...any update?

newodroid
ODROIDs: Odroid go advance 1.1

Post by newodroid »

Currently waiting on my OGA BE and had a few questions about RRVL (and I guess the device in general) if you guys don't mind me asking:

1. Is it possible to connect a keyboard and launch a terminal directly on the device? Specifically for vim, file management, running commands etc.
I'm considering carrying around a small device with either a wired/2.4ghz keyboard or a bluetooth one and using it for taking down quick notes while I'm away from home, using either emacs or vim.
I bet the OGA is powerful enough to compile simple latex pdfs or run groff at the very least. Would also be cool to play scummvm games with a mouse and keyboard.

2. Would I be able to use sshfs to mount a remote filesystem directly onto the OGA?

3. I'm familiar with bash scripting, void and arch linux, but I've never done something like run a .sh script through retroarch. Is it just a matter of making the script executable and adding it to the retroarch menu somehow? Specifically I would write scripts to rsync saves and files from the OGA to the desktop and vice versa. And also for the above mentioned sshfs command to mount/unmount when needed.

4. This relates to the above terminal question: is it possible to use the dpad and buttons to control things like ncurses programs in a terminal, or would I always have to have a keyboard attached?
My main use case for this would be scrolling through a file using vim or less, and controlling programs like MPD + ncmpcpp or MOC for music.
It would be cool to be able to mount some music from my desktop using sshfs and play it back on the OGA directly. I do this on my laptop and it's very handy to save local storage space.

5. Can I use mupdf for simple document viewing? I know it's a low resolution screen for reading but it would be handy for just quickly viewing something. And can I use the dpad for scrolling?

6. Is it possible to use a USB DAC for high quality audio + amplifier with the current RRVL kernel and alsa?

7. finally how is the battery life on RRVL? I know you can overclock a bit for better performance in games but is it possible to underclock for better battery while doing less demanding things like listening to music or playing GB/C?

Long post I know, I'm excited for this little linux handheld. Thanks!
These users thanked the author newodroid for the post:
valadaa48 (Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:55 pm)

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

newodroid wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:40 am
Currently waiting on my OGA BE and had a few questions about RRVL (and I guess the device in general) if you guys don't mind me asking:

1. Is it possible to connect a keyboard and launch a terminal directly on the device? Specifically for vim, file management, running commands etc.
I'm considering carrying around a small device with either a wired/2.4ghz keyboard or a bluetooth one and using it for taking down quick notes while I'm away from home, using either emacs or vim.
I bet the OGA is powerful enough to compile simple latex pdfs or run groff at the very least. Would also be cool to play scummvm games with a mouse and keyboard.

2. Would I be able to use sshfs to mount a remote filesystem directly onto the OGA?

3. I'm familiar with bash scripting, void and arch linux, but I've never done something like run a .sh script through retroarch. Is it just a matter of making the script executable and adding it to the retroarch menu somehow? Specifically I would write scripts to rsync saves and files from the OGA to the desktop and vice versa. And also for the above mentioned sshfs command to mount/unmount when needed.

4. This relates to the above terminal question: is it possible to use the dpad and buttons to control things like ncurses programs in a terminal, or would I always have to have a keyboard attached?
My main use case for this would be scrolling through a file using vim or less, and controlling programs like MPD + ncmpcpp or MOC for music.
It would be cool to be able to mount some music from my desktop using sshfs and play it back on the OGA directly. I do this on my laptop and it's very handy to save local storage space.

5. Can I use mupdf for simple document viewing? I know it's a low resolution screen for reading but it would be handy for just quickly viewing something. And can I use the dpad for scrolling?

6. Is it possible to use a USB DAC for high quality audio + amplifier with the current RRVL kernel and alsa?

7. finally how is the battery life on RRVL? I know you can overclock a bit for better performance in games but is it possible to underclock for better battery while doing less demanding things like listening to music or playing GB/C?

Long post I know, I'm excited for this little linux handheld. Thanks!

This is a pure void linux install so everything there is available to you. Everything above should work, may need a USB hub though.

Why wouldn't you be able to?

Retroarch uses a special spring core that can run any command. There is a built in one that launches .sh scripts and you can see the terminal output on tty1. I also rsync my saves to the cloud.

The joypad is not mapped as a keyboard so you'll need some kind of userspace translator. Ask shanti and the others here with what works for them. It's also not difficult to write one in C, python, rust, etc.. There isn't anything built-in to RRVL to do this though.

If it can render to kms/drm or fb0 then yes. If not, then you can try to get sway/xorg working.

Probably as long as the drivers are there if/as needed.

We use the userspace governor so you can choose your cpu freq. We can prob enable other options if needed. I was toying with the idea of removing power to the GPU since I don't use it to gain even more battery life, but if not used it sits there at 400MHz I think.

You certainly sound knowledge enough about what you want, I would encourage you to experiment with it and all of the source code and package source is available for others to use. At this point the system is nearly as good as I think it can be so I'll prob be stepping back and letting the community move it forward.

Also you may want to check with Crashoverride and Meveric, they're the systems masters here and have much experience with these devices than me. Also, meveric has a nice Xorg/Wayland (forget which) distribution if you need to go that route.
newodroid (Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:26 am)

trngaje
Has thanked: 0

Post by trngaje »

can you support "pacman" to install library packages ?
These users thanked the author trngaje for the post:
valadaa48 (Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:42 pm)

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

The joypad is not mapped as a keyboard so you'll need some kind of userspace translator. Ask shanti and the others here with what works for them. It's also not difficult to write one in C, python, rust, etc.. There isn't anything built-in to RRVL to do this though.
I wrote a simple/inefficient keymapper for use with ncmpp: https://github.com/mad-ady/antimicro-nonX
Have fun with it!
I usually start a systemd unit with it while running ncmpp and turn it off after. So you can have a profile for each program you run...
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post (total 2):
valadaa48 (Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:41 pm) • newodroid (Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:23 am)

valadaa48

Post by valadaa48 »

trngaje wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:40 pm
can you support "pacman" to install library packages ?
I won't personally but pacman is in the void package repo.

newodroid
ODROIDs: Odroid go advance 1.1

Post by newodroid »

I wrote a simple/inefficient keymapper for use with ncmpp: https://github.com/mad-ady/antimicro-nonX
Have fun with it!
I usually start a systemd unit with it while running ncmpp and turn it off after. So you can have a profile for each program you run...
This is amazing!!
I'm glad I'm not the only person that thought about using the OGA as a portable ncmpcpp machine haha.
I can see what you mean by inefficient, I'm sure the input latency is crazy high, but that doesn't really affect this usage case.

I'm sure I can put together a simple script that starts antimicro + TUI program, and kills both on exit. That way you can go back to retroarch/games without reboot the device. Does this only work when run as sudo?
When I get the device in and have some time, I'll experiment with adapting this to different programs. For example, lf/ranger for file management, and some of the various framebuffer image and pdf viewers.

Return to “Projects”