Difficult to get help on H2

shakil.san@gmail.com
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: H2, XU4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Difficult to get help on H2

Post by shakil.san@gmail.com »

This might sound like a rant and apologies in advance.

Why it is difficult to get enough help for simple questions on Odroid boards. I am struggling big time with H2 even if I like the board very much due to its potential. Here are my issues

1. Did not find a good info on how to install any OS other than Ubuntu, like Windows 10
2. Did not find a simple info on how to make my system dual boot with Ubuntu and Batocera or Windows
3. Did not find a simple info on how to select a boot media on startup if I have two Hard disks connected to H2
4. Did not find any good info on how to install bare fan on H2 passive cooler
5. Struggling big time to find any info on some issues I am facing with Ubuntu + Retropie or Ubuntu + Dolphin emulator setup

Is this because I am not searching the web properly or there is real short of knowledge/info out there?

powerful owl
ODROIDs: 3 x H2, 1 x H2+

Re: Difficult to get help on H2

Post by powerful owl »

Something like installing Windows on H2 is so obvious that no-one is going to write a detailed instruction manual for it. It's the same as any computer. Suggest that you a. provide more specifics on what you're doing and b. not ignore people when they make suggestions to you.
These users thanked the author powerful owl for the post:
domih (Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:20 am)

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

With the exception of #4, all the others are generic (non odroid specific questions) and you'll find better answers on the internet.
Think of the H2 as a x86_64 computer with uefi bios. You can install Windows 10, Linux, with grub to handle dual booting. This is how I run my son's H2.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
domih (Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:20 am)

domih
languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: UX4, HC2, N2, N2+, H2, H2+, C4, HC4 - 1GbE, 2.5GbE, 10GbE, 40+GbE

Post by domih »

For (4), I simply use a double-sided Velcro :-). One square on the non-rotating center of the fan, one square in the center of the heat sink, align and press, done. With this, the fan will push cold air into the heat sink. See example there: download/file.php?id=11494 (from viewtopic.php?f=172&t=38711). If you want the fan to pull hot air away from the heat sink go with one of the H2 case available for sales at https://www.hardkernel.com which all have the holes to screw for their 92mm fan which they also sell.

For the other questions powerful_owl and @mad_ady are right: these are not H2+ questions, google or bing the appropriate web sites.

For multi-boot, go with this book https://www.amazon.com/Hands-Booting-Le ... 1484258894.

HTH

domih

Post by domih »

<<...
This might sound like a rant and apologies in advance.
.../...
Is this because I am not searching the web properly or there is real short of knowledge/info out there?
...>>

The Hardkernel/Odroid community is pretty timely, nice and knowledgeable in providing responses to precise technical questions, and sometimes even when the question is obvious or easy to obtain with a few searches.

You got responses to each of your posts from people who are NOT paid to do so.

A cold/funny answer to your OP could have been:

The former :D :lol: :mrgreen:

Which you did not get.

domih

Post by domih »

<<...
4. Did not find any good info on how to install bare fan on H2 passive cooler
...>>

Another economical way to fix a fan to a heat sink is to use pan head Phillips screws that will bite into the heat sink vertical blades. IMHO, 6x 1-1/4 screws work wonder with 20mm fans. I have 100-unit small boxes of such screws for each needed length to fix any kind of fans on any type of heat sink with vertical blades. Example: see download/file.php?id=11525 from the same thread cited previously.

This is not specific to the H2+, one does that with any X86 or ARM board or PCIe card where there is a heat sink with vertical blades on top of a chip which you want to keep cooler using air flow. Simple trick, very effective and super cheap, see for instance https://www.acehardware.com/search?quer ... d+Phillips, same thing from any hardware store near where you live. How do you know which length to buy? Go to your hardware store with the H2 and the fan, try the screws with a sales person. That's what I did.

For the 3 x H2 I put in the same box, I preferred to use Velcro so that the 3 fans won't generate any resonance.

Last but not least: for average use, the H2+ will work totally OK without a fan.

I have the tendency to use fans because sometimes I do push the H2+ to its limits but mostly because summer is hot in California.

Rule of thumb: with "non-extreme" ambient temperature, adding a fan keeps the chip 20C cooler. The Celeron in your H2+ has a tJunction of 105C, so if without fan, the max reported temperature you get when doing what you are go to do with your H2 is say 85C-90C, you can still use it without a fan. The fan just brings an 20C difference to prevent the CPU to throttle down when you really push it to perform, and in high ambient temperatures.

HTH

Return to “Issues”