ODROID GameStation Turbo Advance - GO2 (WIP)

Third party OS images and hardware mods
doomman117
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo Advance - GO2 (WIP)

Post by doomman117 »

Update: Installed Gamestation Turbo. However its not seeing my full 128gb SD card. I flashed it after using RA, so it should be completely blank when I installed it.

sw1fty
ODROIDs: oga

Post by sw1fty »

Thanks so much for sharing this image. It looks really cool.
I am quite new to these things and have hit a problem. I've tried reading everything I can for the past few hours but I'm having no success.

I flashed the image to a 128gb card in win10. The small boot partition and a larger root partition has been created but over 100gb remains unallocated.
The root partition is only 3.6gb and I can't figure out how to expand it to be able to fit my roms on.

I would really appreciate it if somebody could offer me some advice. I realize it's probably an annoying noob question and I've tried to read up on this but just getting nowhere.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

It should automatically resize on first boot.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

This image is different in many ways.
It does not use EmulationStation for example as a frontend.
Will it be 100% bug free? I highly doubt that's possible.
But I haven't seen any issues with saving or menu yet.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

doomman117

Post by doomman117 »

mad_ady wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:16 pm
Well me and one other person are having the same issue on 128gb SD cards, maybe its a bug?

sw1fty

Post by sw1fty »

mad_ady wrote:
I have read this a few times but it definitely is not happening. I wonder if I'm missing any steps.
I write the image to the card with Win32DiskManager ( I have also tried again with Etcher).
I then safely eject the card from the PC and put it in the OGA for first boot. I get no prompts or even a very long boot time. It boots to Attract Mode in 10-20 seconds and everything appears completely fine. The partition just doesn't get expanded. Is there a way to do it manually?

doomman117

Post by doomman117 »

sw1fty wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:47 pm
mad_ady wrote:
I have read this a few times but it definitely is not happening. I wonder if I'm missing any steps.
I write the image to the card with Win32DiskManager ( I have also tried again with Etcher).
I then safely eject the card from the PC and put it in the OGA for first boot. I get no prompts or even a very long boot time. It boots to Attract Mode in 10-20 seconds and everything appears completely fine. The partition just doesn't get expanded. Is there a way to do it manually?
Same here, I asked on the discord and they said there is a way to do it through gparted, however thats only a last resort, it can have some unforeseen consequences, as well as might not even work

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

You can run fdisk /dev/mmcblk0, delete partition 2 (while running, that's right) and recreate it to fit the disk. Save the changes and then run resize2fs / and it should be done.

sw1fty

Post by sw1fty »

mad_ady wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:37 pm
You can run fdisk /dev/mmcblk0, delete partition 2 (while running, that's right) and recreate it to fit the disk. Save the changes and then run resize2fs / and it should be done.
Thanks for your effort to help with this. Could you possibly explain in more detail how I do that? I have no experience with this.
Am I right in thinking that this is done via the DinguxCommander?
I found mmcblk0 in there and tried to execute but nothing happens and it just returns me to the file directory. Also, where is resize2fs located?

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

You need to type commands through ssh, as root

sw1fty

Post by sw1fty »

mad_ady wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:40 am
You need to type commands through ssh, as root
I have absolutely no idea how to do this. I've been at it for hours but I guess I'm just out of my depth. I'm unfortunately gonna have to give up on using this build.
Thanks for trying to help. Good luck Doomman117

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

originally the system resized the partition without reboot, but I guess that process may have issues with some SD cards.
I will look into it again and maybe do the resize with a reboot instead, as this may be more stable.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

snock
languages_spoken: spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-Go Advance

Post by snock »

Could retroarch be updated? Would I like to use the translate option, since it is a complete operating system. It should work, have you tried it?

meveric

Post by meveric »

I haven't tried it. I know it was added at some point but that was quite some time ago when I saw the demo.
But aside from the presentation videos I haven't seen in in real yet.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
snock (Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:01 am)

snock
languages_spoken: spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-Go Advance

Post by snock »

error update
rr:59 https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric all InRelease
Could not connect to oph.mdrjr.net:443 (216.155.132.189), connection timed out
Err:60 https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric buster InRelease
Unable to connect to oph.mdrjr.net:https:
Fetched 23.9 MB in 34s (712 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
34 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
N: Repository 'http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster InRelease' changed its 'Version' value from '10.5' to '10.6'
N: Repository 'http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster InRelease' changed its 'Version' value from '10.5' to '10.6'
W: Failed to fetch https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/all/InRelease Could not connect to oph.mdrjr.net:443 (216.155.132.189), connection timed out
W: Failed to fetch https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/buster/InRelease Unable to connect to oph.mdrjr.net:https:
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

oph.mdrjr.net is down since the weekend. Hopefully it will get back up soon.

meveric

Post by meveric »

yep waiting on that as well *sighs*

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

I'm sure mdrjr himself is currently batteling the crocs in his basement slowly making his way to the server...

meveric

Post by meveric »

seems to be back online

wishindo
ODROIDs: ODROID Go Advance

Post by wishindo »

Can DraStic automatically use a USB-connected microphone as 'noise' input, or would I have to edit a config file? If the latter, which?
Also, how does one input a touch event to DraStic? I know you can use the joystick to move the virtual stylus, but I can't figure out how to press down with said stylus.

meveric

Post by meveric »

wishindo wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:40 am
Can DraStic automatically use a USB-connected microphone as 'noise' input, or would I have to edit a config file? If the latter, which?
I did not map this, as buttons were already too few to map everything possible.
You can change the settings using a keyboard attached to the GO2, but generally since there are only a few games that require noise, it's probably best to skip on these.
Same goes for opening and closing the lid.
I might add this as an extended feature for the Rev. 1.1 systems as they have two extra buttons (L2/R2) but I have not done this yet.
wishindo wrote:
Also, how does one input a touch event to DraStic? I know you can use the joystick to move the virtual stylus, but I can't figure out how to press down with said stylus.
The L button doubles as a mouse click, I know this may not work perfectly for all games as many use the L button for other things, but most of the time clicking L should be possible as a touch input, without interfering.

wishindo

Post by wishindo »

meveric wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:03 am
wishindo wrote:
I did not map this, as buttons were already too few to map everything possible.
You can change the settings using a keyboard attached to the GO2, but generally since there are only a few games that require noise, it's probably best to skip on these.
Same goes for opening and closing the lid.
I might add this as an extended feature for the Rev. 1.1 systems as they have two extra buttons (L2/R2) but I have not done this yet.
wishindo wrote:
The L button doubles as a mouse click, I know this may not work perfectly for all games as many use the L button for other things, but most of the time clicking L should be possible as a touch input, without interfering.
Regarding USB mic: I was talking about having DraStic using an always-on (while DraStic is running) stream from a hardware mic as noise input, leaving it up to the game to decide what to do with the audio. Were you saying that there was no spare button for push-to-talk, as Discord calls it? I understand some may not like an always-on mic and I respect having hardware mic access turned of by default, but you should leave always-on mic as an option one can switch to if desired.

Regarding touchscreen input: L button registers before the touch press in Pokemon Platinum (and presumably, Diamond and Pearl, too), making the intro impossible to complete, as you need to touch a part of the screen to advance at one part, and a button/dpad input there triggers dialog saying to touch the screen, during which touching the screen does nothing until the dialog has completed displaying. Could you tell me how to remap touchscreen press to F2, as I don't need to swap the screen layout?

Regarding DraStic config file: You never did tell me where the config was, so can you post where it is? I'll have a look for it myself when I'm next at my laptop (I'm replying with my phone), in the meantime.

meveric

Post by meveric »

wishindo wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:50 am
Regarding USB mic: I was talking about having DraStic using an always-on (while DraStic is running) stream from a hardware mic as noise input, leaving it up to the game to decide what to do with the audio. Were you saying that there was no spare button for push-to-talk, as Discord calls it?
No one said anything about USB Mic, and push to talk.
There is a button on the emulator, that generates white noise, but it's an on off switch, it's not constantly on when you start the emulator.
And as I said, for this, there is currently no button mapped.
wishindo wrote:
Regarding touchscreen input: L button registers before the touch press in Pokemon Platinum (and presumably, Diamond and Pearl, too), making the intro impossible to complete, as you need to touch a part of the screen to advance at one part, and a button/dpad input there triggers dialog saying to touch the screen, during which touching the screen does nothing until the dialog has completed displaying.
That is unfortunate, but as I said, due to the fact that there are so many actions to map, it's somewhat hard to find the right place to do so.
wishindo wrote:
Could you tell me how to remap touchscreen press to F2, as I don't need to swap the screen layout?
That's a bit complicated.
In /home/odroid/ you'll find a file joyconf-nds.xml you need to edit this file.
1. search for

Code: Select all

<button index="5">
                <slots>
                    <slot>
                        <code>1</code>
                        <mode>mousebutton</mode>
                    </slot>
                    <slot>
                        <code>0x1000020</code>
                        <mode>keyboard</mode>
                    </slot>
                </slots>
            </button>
and change it to:

<button index="5">
                <slots>
                    <slot>
                        <code>0x1000020</code>
                        <mode>keyboard</mode>
                    </slot>
                </slots>
            </button>
Then search for:

<button index="12">
                <slots>
                    <slot>
                        <code>0x41</code>
                        <mode>keyboard</mode>
                    </slot>
                    <slot>
                        <code>1000</code>
                        <mode>pause</mode>
                    </slot>
                </slots>
            </button>
and change it to:

<button index="12">
                <slots>
                    <slot>
                        <code>1</code>
                        <mode>mousebutton</mode>
                    </slot>
                </slots>
            </button>
Haven't tested it yet, but it should work.
wishindo wrote:
Regarding DraStic config file: You never did tell me where the config was, so can you post where it is? I'll have a look for it myself when I'm next at my laptop (I'm replying with my phone), in the meantime.
The config file is under /home/odroid/.local/share/drastic/config/ but I'm not sure if that will help you. As it's mapping keyboard keys and not buttons on the gamepad.
wishindo (Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:09 am)

wishindo

Post by wishindo »

meveric wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:46 pm
No one said anything about USB Mic, and push to talk.
There is a button on the emulator, that generates white noise, but it's an on off switch, it's not constantly on when you start the emulator.
And as I said, for this, there is currently no button mapped.
I started this converstation by asking about using a USB Mic instead of the built-in noise generator, for any audio input that the game needs. Always-on was referring to the USB mic, not the noise generator. To use Pokemon Platinum as an example again, Chatot's "Chatter" field move uses the microphone to change the sound Chatot makes, as well as make the move stronger. As it is right now 'training' Chatot's Chatter would result in white noise, instead of using a microphone-captured voice sample. Also, using a hardware microphone (be it USB or otherwise) would mean one less function needed to be mapped to the physical buttons on the OGA.

meveric

Post by meveric »

To be honest I'm not even sure the emulator supports real microphone input, I've never tried it. normally white noise is what's provided by emulators and not direct mic input.
I can try and test if it supports hardware mics but I have my doubt it does. Even if it does, you probably need one that is supported by the kernel and I haven't tried anything here yet either.

mmax
ODROIDs: OGA

Post by mmax »

During the last update, I got following (error):

The following packages have been kept back:
linux-headers-arm64-odroid-go2 linux-image-arm64-odroid-go2
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Setting up setup-ogsta-odroid (0.0.1-12) ...
cp: cannot stat '/usr/local/share/setup-odroid/fixes/General/remove-old-on-upgrade': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/usr/local/share/setup-odroid/fixes/General/copy_dtb': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package setup-ogsta-odroid (--configure):
installed setup-ogsta-odroid package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
setup-ogsta-odroid
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

meveric

Post by meveric »

I can confirm that this is a problem.

I did a bit too much copy and paste
It should be /usr/local/share/setup-ogsta/fixes/General/copy_dtb and /usr/local/share/setup-ogsta/fixes/General/remove-old-on-upgrade I've just made a new package and you should see an update.

Thanks for reporting.

wishindo

Post by wishindo »

So I tried playing The Ur-Quan Masters on my Go Advanced with this distro, as there is a "uqm-hd-odroid" package available. So I went straight for SuperMelee, menu sound effects where fine, selecting my first ship was fine, sound-wise. When my ship was destroyed, I did not hear the enemy ships victory music, instead I heard an awful screeching noise. This occurs with both sound backends (MixSDL and OpenAL). The screeching also occurs on the main menu, so presumably it's the music being broken or something. Any idea as to what's up?
Attachments
uqm gsta sound.zip
[EARRAPE WARINING] The sounds that play instead of music in .m4a format
(334.25 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

meveric

Post by meveric »

I have to test that, I don't think I have tested this game on the GO2 yet.
Give me a little bit, as I currently try to get the support for the GO3 done and are currently uploading things left and right :)

meveric

Post by meveric »

Update:
-= ODROID Go Super (GO3) Support =-

I've updated the base image to support the ODROID Go Super (GO3) out of the box.
I'll update some pictures later to show the button layout, but there aren't any major changes.

I also added two new features
* Heaphone auto-detection - If you plugin headphones the sound automatically switches to the headphones, if you unplug headphones it will switch to speakers (you can still switch output from the menu if wanted)
* Volume Buttons (GO3 only) - If you own an ODROID Go Super already, you can use the volume buttons anywhere and it will adjust the volume

A full list of the changes can be found here: viewtopic.php?p=316703#p316703

-= Button Layout for the ODROID GO3 =-

And with that the buttons are organized the same as on the ODROID GO2.

If you already run an image, an update is enough to make it ODROID Go Super (GO3) ready, nothing else needed.

Please Note: if you encounter the error:

Replacing files in old package linux-image-4.4.189 (4.4.189-20200522-GO2) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-IYBL45/16-linux-image-4.4.189-arm64_4.4.189-20201229-GO2_arm64.deb (--unpack):
 unable to make backup link of './boot/rk3326-odroidgo2-linux-v11.dtb' before installing new version: Operation not permitted
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Just delete the file and trigger the installation again (the file will be recreated)

rm /boot/rk3326-odroidgo2-linux-v11.dtb
apt install -f

meveric

Post by meveric »

Just to show off something new that is working:

Running moonlight-embedded on the GO2/GO3 using sunshine on a Ubuntu 20.04 laptop:
https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/Vid ... ht-go2.mp4
https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/Vid ... ht-go3.mp4

viewtopic.php?p=319356#p319356

and yes it can be started directly from game menu is configured as a port or tool.
It's not only streaming the desktop, but can be used to play games from your PC on the ODROID as well, allowing to control it via the GO2/GO3 gamepad.

Shoesy
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance

Post by Shoesy »

Did you use a special config for Sunshine? Struggling to find a codec that works here

meveric

Post by meveric »

Under Linux sunshine only supports software encoding via libx264.
Works fine on my laptop, on the N1 it was struggling and I lowered quality to get better result.

Windows supports software encoding and nvenc (NVIDIA)
And that's it.

A bit annoying as the software technically should be able to handle everything that ffmpeg can handle.

Shoesy
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance

Post by Shoesy »

No special config in Sunshine at all?

meveric

Post by meveric »

nope
worked right out of the box.
Shoesy (Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:11 am)

jahuu

Post by jahuu »

Hi,
I tried an update on my OGA and got the following libsdl2 error...

Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libsdl2-2.0-0:armhf
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/332 kB of archives.
After this operation, 12.3 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 113671 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libsdl2-2.0-0:armhf (2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1) over (2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite shared '/usr/share/doc/libsdl2-2.0-0/changelog.Debian.gz', which is different from other instances of package libsdl2-2.0-0:armhf
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1_armhf.deb

meveric

Post by meveric »

There was an issue in the past where the arm64 version and armhf version of libsdl2 where not the same which caused issues when you tried to install both at the same time.
That should be fixed though.
If it really causes issues, try to remove and reinstall them, it should work.
You can also try:

apt update
apt install --reinstall libsdl2-2.0-0:arm64=2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1 libsdl2-2.0-0:armhf=2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1

jahuu

Post by jahuu »

meveric wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:34 pm
You can also try:

apt update
apt install --reinstall libsdl2-2.0-0:arm64=2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1 libsdl2-2.0-0:armhf=2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1
Tried this but...

root@buster64-go2:~# apt update
Fetched 779 kB in 5s (168 kB/s)
Building dependency tree
1 package can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see it.
root@buster64-go2:~# apt install --reinstall libsdl2-2.0-0:arm64=2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1 libsdl2-2.0-0:armhf=2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1
Building dependency tree
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libsdl2-2.0-0:armhf
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 362 kB/694 kB of archives.
After this operation, 12.3 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric buster/main arm64 libsdl2-2.0-0 arm64 2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1 [362 kB]
Fetched 362 kB in 1s (287 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 113671 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking libsdl2-2.0-0:arm64 (2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1) over (2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1_arm64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite shared '/usr/share/doc/libsdl2-2.0-0/changelog.Debian.gz', which is different from other instances of package libsdl2-2.0-0:arm64
Preparing to unpack .../libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libsdl2-2.0-0:armhf (2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1) over (2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite shared '/usr/share/doc/libsdl2-2.0-0/changelog.Debian.gz', which is different from other instances of package libsdl2-2.0-0:armhf
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1_arm64.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.9+dfsg1-1+odroid1_armhf.deb
But I don't see any problems, only on updating.

meveric

Post by meveric »

the update should do nothing but fixing the issue that you see with the update.
There is no change in function, it just fixes that the changelog are identical for arm64 and armhf, so they can be installed side by side.

I'm still confused why this is not working.. I tried it on my ODROIDs and it works on each of them.

jahuu

Post by jahuu »

meveric wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:10 pm
I'm still confused why this is not working.. I tried it on my ODROIDs and it works on each of them.
I tried also a complete fresh install using the image "OGSTA-0.95-20201229-GO2.img" on my OGA (with LAN Adapter) but got the same results.
Don't worry, actually everything works for me.

//Edit
Do I need to stop tasks/services before I update the system?

meveric

Post by meveric »

nope should work without stopping services..
but you might want to do a reboot afterwards.
(Sorry thought I posted this already yesterday, but I guess I forgot to click on send or something)

billotronic
ODROIDs: U3 C2 XU4 GO3

Post by billotronic »

1. Thank you for another amazing image. You always produce the best of the best
2. Is there an easy way to import art and info from an ES collection? I've tried poking around to see how you have things setup under the hood but its a tad out of my paygrade.
3. If not, maybe make one? Seems like most folks use ES for a frontend (myself included as this is my first dance with AttractMode)
5. Thank you again for all your hardwork.

meveric

Post by meveric »

I personally don't like ES, it's just a collection of tons of hacks as the original project was abandoned by the developer in 2015 with tons of features never implemented with most of the changes that made it useful started only when retropie picked up the development of the software.
The amount of workarounds needed for the software is very horrible and I rather not deal with it.
I know it has it's benefits and people like it, but as I said I'm not a big fan of it, therefore although available for most of my images, I rather not deal with ES at all.

I'm pretty sure there are some tools out there that can convert scraping results between AM and ES after all they all use the same sources anyway.
Art is as easy as putting the images in the correct folders snap, wheel, flyer, etc. inside the ROM folders.
Description is a bit different as this is stored in different files for ES and AM so that's something you might miss out on.
valadaa48 (Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:02 am)

billotronic

Post by billotronic »

Yeah I just did it the low and slow way via the GO3 itself. Many, many days later it's done and holy cow, worth the wait. Thank you again for your efforts.

meveric

Post by meveric »

glad you like it :)

billotronic

Post by billotronic »

Found a bug of sorts... the folder structure laid out in skyscrapers' config.ini does not match the pregen'ed ROMS folder (as in like for the XU4 where it goes SEGA/SEGACD etc)

meveric

Post by meveric »

billotronic wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:47 am
Found a bug of sorts... the folder structure laid out in skyscrapers' config.ini does not match the pregen'ed ROMS folder (as in like for the XU4 where it goes SEGA/SEGACD etc)
True, I don't think it matches 100%, but it only uses the config.ini if you don't give any parameters but the script I use gives the paths manually for each emulator, therefore it will not use the config.ini in that case.
But I'll take a look at it and make sure everything is setup correctly.
Thanks for the feedback :)

billotronic

Post by billotronic »

Could you explain to me how you have that setup? (the script for skyscraper) I tried poking around for such a thing but couldn't find anything other then the call to attract-mode in the setup menu. I feel like I'm about 70% understanding how to use skyscraper properly and efficiently, but again, this is kinda new to me.

I can't believe I've gone so long with never using attract-mode. This blows ES out of the water.

meveric

Post by meveric »

you can check /usr/local/bin/attract-scraper-service

I'm doing quite a bit of mapping in there so don't be alarmed by the many lines of code.
In the end it comes down to something like:

Skyscraper -p <platform> -i <path-to-ROMs> -s <scraper-to-use> -e <name-of-system> -o <output-path-for-media>
platform is the identifier used by the scraper, e.g. snes, psx, amiga, etc.
scraper are the different scraper supported by Skyscraper: e.g. thegamesdb, screenscraper, or arcadedb
name-of-system is what it's called either in ES or Attract Mode e.g. "Super Nintendo Entertainment System", "Sony Playstation", "Commodore Amiga", etc.
some of the values are used to create the .txt files for the scraped infos, others to look up the Emulator files in Attract Mode, or the names of the entries in ES in case you use this.

After you're done scraping with all the scrapers you want you run it once more WITHOUT the -s <scaper> that way it will gather all the information it has collected and writes the output files. Up to that point it just collects information.

billotronic

Post by billotronic »

lol this is embarrassing as my hold up was that I thought that was an executable at first glance and not a script... always learning. Thank you, thank you, and thank you. My GO3 life is now complete.

Return to “Projects”