Power N2+ from GPIO

meltzerpete
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: c1 n2+

Power N2+ from GPIO

Post by meltzerpete »

I am trying to power an Odroid N2+ from GPIO, using the 5V UPS supercapacitor device from https://juice4halt.com/products.

I have tested the UPS on a Raspberry Pi Model 2B and it works fine, however on my odroid N2+ the odroid does not start and the chips become extremely hot. The GPIO pinout is the same (at least as far as the power lines are concerned), I have also tried just connecting only the 5V and GND power lines to the relevant GPIO on the odroid but I have the same issue.

As far as I am aware, neither the Pi nor the Odroid have power protection if powering directly from GPIO, but it's working fine on Pi.. Any idea why this is not working for my odroid and what I could do to fix it?

Thanks

joerg
languages_spoken: german, english, español
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, N1, N2, C4

Re: Power N2+ from GPIO

Post by joerg »

No, you can't do this! The N2 (and also the C4) need to be powered by the power plug. The 5V on the gpio header is only for the IO.
These users thanked the author joerg for the post:
meltzerpete (Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:17 am)

meltzerpete
ODROIDs: c1 n2+

Post by meltzerpete »

Ok, thanks. Do you have any explanation of why it can't be done?

cdu13a
ODROIDs: C1, C2, C4, XU4, HC1, N2, N2+

Post by cdu13a »

The simple explanation. It's not designed to be able to do that, which makes it a very bad idea to try.

The power on the GPIO pins is meant as a 5v output only. The only way to power the N2/N2Plus/C4 is via it's barrel jack power connector at the correct voltage range.

To simplify this to the point of becoming slightly inaccurate.

The Pi can do what you are trying because it has a very simple power delivery design. It has 5v power input and the board has one big 5v plane that it's various components can pull power from, or that the other voltages the device needs can be stepped down from. So It doesn't matter on the older Pi if that 5v power comes from it's power connector or anywhere else on this 5v plane. Such a simple design can cause issues if you draw a lot of power.

The N2/N2Plus/C4 on the other hand has a more advanced power design. It uses a higher input voltage from it's power connector, and then steps this down to 5v where it's needed and steps it down to the other required voltages where needed. This gives more stable power for example if you plug in a lot of USB devices. However this also means that you can't just apply power to the GPIO connector to power the board, since the board is not expecting this and can't deal with it since it leaves the board in a weird partially powered state.
These users thanked the author cdu13a for the post (total 2):
tobetter (Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:33 pm) • meltzerpete (Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:17 am)

rooted

Post by rooted »

Good explanation.

I want to add the C4 does have power pads next to the barrel connecter which can be used with voltage in the proper range (5.5V ~ 15.5V), I believe it's standard 2.54mm spacing so you can add a header if needed.

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”