crashoverride
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Re: Off Topic Banter

Post by crashoverride »

rooted wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:40 am
I'm just saying they are within the TOS the company agreed to.
You may have just solved the issue that will usher in a new era of world peace!

Perhaps tech companies should also have to sign TOS to operate. This perfectly illustrates the heart of the issue: there are laws, but TOS are effectively new laws created and enforced by a company. Imagine if tech companies had to sign TOS with various companies and governments or risk losing access to roads, water, electricity, and air space/spectrum.

rooted

Post by rooted »

crashoverride wrote: Imagine if tech companies had to sign TOS with various companies and governments or risk losing access to roads, water, electricity, and air space/spectrum.
It would be poetic justice, I agree big tech has nearly unlimited reach which should be addressed but the question is how and by whom. DOJ, FTC, I don't know what acronym they fall under? I remember several times GoDaddy got themselves in trouble then backpedaled from media backlash, larger tech companies like Google, Amazon, and Apple are less likely to submit to the mob.

L67GS
languages_spoken: English, Jibberish, Pig Latin
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

2020 was an unusually bad year for us with cars. We keep several older GM cars with nearly identical drivetrains so I can keep one collection of spare parts.
In the last year I had to do 2 transmission swaps, then one of them spun a main bearing and another tore a subframe bushing from it's underbody. I'm still not done assembling the new engine and my welder has been in for repair for eons so we're down two, and I didn't even touch my autocross car last year.

phaseshifter
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,n2+2G and n2 4G
cloudshell I and shell II
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well..vu7 etc..

Post by phaseshifter »

well just started my own forum here..

https://brianchllor.wixsite.com/brianphasecom/forum
its a works in process only took me 2 hours to build it so it is an electronic help desk basically
These users thanked the author phaseshifter for the post:
tobetter (Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:51 am)
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

Congratulations, though I guess it will take a while to build a community around it...

L67GS
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

phaseshifter wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:24 am
well just started my own forum here..

https://brianchllor.wixsite.com/brianphasecom/forum
its a works in process only took me 2 hours to build it so it is an electronic help desk basically
"SBC discussion" may be a better title than "SBC help", that just sounds like something that could scare away experienced users to me.
Aside from that it looks like a good start, will you break manufacturers into subforums?

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

L67GS wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:34 am
I'll prepare a little write-up in coming weeks. Ladder is stupid easy but there's little things about the process I can point out to reduce speed bumps.
Right off the bat I see a lot of people struggling with simple tasks like delayed power turn off so the SBC has time to properly shut down, it's very simple with a microcontroller that can be bought for pocket change.
And I did it:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=41686

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

Ten years ago I got a little Lincoln mig welder used, it's always been wild to use to the point that we called it the rodeo welder. My friend that owns a local welder repair shop suggested it may have a bad capacitor.
I can't believe it, I put that capacitor in today and it's like a new machine. I always assumed it works so crummy because I shoot flux core out of it!
I was days away from buying a new welder.

phaseshifter

Post by phaseshifter »

hmm i just dont have it in me atm and the first time i setup a web forum/site etc..and yes discussion would be better yes i agree at the time i was not shure what to name the header title..more of an experiment not costing me anything
These users thanked the author phaseshifter for the post:
Mechwarrior (Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:53 pm)
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

I don't know if anybody else would be interested in it but in one hour there is a free live streaming class on robotics with C++.

https://youtu.be/jDvC4uSs9yA

AstonMarts
languages_spoken: English
Been thanked: 0

Post by AstonMarts »

L67GS wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:58 am
I don't know if anybody else would be interested in it but in one hour there is a free live streaming class on robotics with C++.

I think to start learning programming, I think it will be interesting for me.Thanks.

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

AstonMarts wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:18 am
L67GS wrote:

I think to start learning programming, I think it will be interesting for me.Thanks.
It was informative, I watched part 1 before class. I think I may register with him to get the workbook and go through the recorded classes.

Mechwarrior
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO Super Clear White

Post by Mechwarrior »

L67GS wrote:

I studied computer science and my level of programming is: NULL. It took me couple of years to understand how boring it is for me :-P

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

Mechwarrior wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:53 pm
L67GS wrote:

I studied computer science and my level of programming is: NULL. It took me couple of years to understand how boring it is for me :-P
That's why I turned to SBC and got my first Odroid. I tried to learn C++ in the past but the sheer boredom prevented it.
A tool that actually does things with my code is so much more exciting I learned more in a month tinkering with my XU4 than a year on Codecadamy.
I have many SBC's now, all Odroid, and I had the foresight to get two extra C0's before they were gone so I can do two more embedded projects before I need to stray from Hardkernal.

phaseshifter

Post by phaseshifter »

new capacitor first thing i would have replaced.....lol but ok sozz i would have asked that a long time ago

p.ss any body know if there is a plugin for kodi for messenger..??

rooted

Post by rooted »

phaseshifter wrote:new capacitor first thing i would have replaced.....lol but ok sozz i would have asked that a long time ago

p.ss any body know if there is a plugin for kodi for messenger..??
You mean Facebook messenger?

phaseshifter

Post by phaseshifter »

yes how r u
for f-book messenger.. my mates would not know what pidgin is litle own know that it is a im service...it really buggs me ot.. ive had it with this country if we ever get allowed out of this place i`m selling up ang going over seas

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

phaseshifter wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:52 am
ive had it with this country if we ever get allowed out of this place i`m selling up ang going over seas
What country is that so I don't ever go there and get trapped?

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

I didn't tear into the bottom end for lack of GAS (give a shit) but this poor engine made enough powdered metal to cover the oil pickup in what looks like clay.
Oh well, I've had a spare on a stand for three years, all 4 of our cars have the same drivetrain.
Attachments
20210213_204216.jpg
20210213_204216.jpg (452.87 KiB) Viewed 1379 times

rooted

Post by rooted »

L67GS wrote:I didn't tear into the bottom end for lack of GAS (give a shit) but this poor engine made enough powdered metal to cover the oil pickup in what looks like clay.
Oh well, I've had a spare on a stand for three years, all 4 of our cars have the same drivetrain.
That a little GM V6?

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

rooted wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:27 pm
L67GS wrote:I didn't tear into the bottom end for lack of GAS (give a shit) but this poor engine made enough powdered metal to cover the oil pickup in what looks like clay.
That a little GM V6?
Buick L67 3800

rooted

Post by rooted »

phaseshifter wrote:yes how r u
for f-book messenger.. my mates would not know what pidgin is litle own know that it is a im service...it really buggs me ot.. ive had it with this country if we ever get allowed out of this place i`m selling up ang going over seas
I'm fine, glad to see you around more often. I don't know how you can use messenger through Kodi, there is a Facebook media add-on but I've not seen anything for messenger.

InsideJob
languages_spoken: English, Greek, Spanish

Post by InsideJob »

"Error: The operation is insecure." No, the "operation", just reading messages, is idiotic. This has to be like the tenth fookin' time I enabled cookies, logged in, spent 5 minutes writing something and then was presented by yet another login (guess it automatically logged me out) when I submit the reply. Of course, after jumping through all that security bullsheet everything I wrote is gone. You have to click "remember me" too if you don't want to waste your time here... Anywho, I'm not going to write all that sheet all over again, but it's a good example of why more security isn't always better.

phaseshifter

Post by phaseshifter »

geeze Mr buick that really spat it big time when did it evert get an oil change not that it would have made much difference,,my father built racing cars for the blokes down under and worked on jack broughams braking system he designed and built the whole system and had the fastest "T.C M.G" in Australia and i had the fastest 71 charger in vic Australia..normally aspirated..265 six pack bored 60 thou and twin 2 barrel 500cfm volleys on it,, um real high end lumpy cam it pulled 10 sec flat at caulder
oh @ rooted if you could give me a link that be handy but its ok if you cannot..

rooted

Post by rooted »

phaseshifter wrote:geeze Mr buick that really spat it big time when did it evert get an oil change not that it would have made much difference,,my father built racing cars for the blokes down under and worked on jack broughams braking system he designed and built the whole system and had the fastest "T.C M.G" in Australia and i had the fastest 71 charger in vic Australia..normally aspirated..265 six pack bored 60 thou and twin 2 barrel 500cfm volleys on it,, um real high end lumpy cam it pulled 10 sec flat at caulder
oh @ rooted if you could give me a link that be handy but its ok if you cannot..
I didn't know Aussie machinist used standard convention, thousandths of an inch.

It should be in the standard Kodi repo, just search for Facebook add-on. But here is a link of the description:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Facebook_Media
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
phaseshifter (Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:24 pm)

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

The holden guys have been doing some crazy stuff with the engines I run, lots of 3800 enthusiasts in Australia.

rooted

Post by rooted »

L67GS wrote:The holden guys have been doing some crazy stuff with the engines I run, lots of 3800 enthusiasts in Australia.
Do they suffer from the faulty intake gasket like the 3400 does? I have one right now which needs to be changed and I don't have a covered space to do it, hopefully this spring I can get it done on a nice day.

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

rooted wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:15 am
L67GS wrote:The holden guys have been doing some crazy stuff with the engines I run, lots of 3800 enthusiasts in Australia.
Do they suffer from the faulty intake gasket like the 3400 does? I have one right now which needs to be changed and I don't have a covered space to do it, hopefully this spring I can get it done on a nice day.
60* V6 (3100, 3400) share little with 90* (3800) engines. The 3800 naturally aspirated engines have an issue with the upper intake plenum cracking where there's a weak spot between EGR and coolant passages for throttle body heating about every 80,000 miles.
And of course there was the valve cover gasket problem that was rectified with a gasket re-design.

There's a neat 3100 party trick where I like to remove the radiator cap and wipe my finger in there to pull a bunch of oil out. I've never seen a 3100 that didn't have at least one bad head gasket.

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

Two things I have learned today:
1) Global Warming is now completely debunked! :lol:
2) Rolling blackouts reportedly attributed to half our wind turbines being frozen at a time that energy is critical to sustaining life means that "green" is more an ideology than a reality. :o

Hope everyone is staying warm.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

You just need to figure out how to extract green energy from cold stuff, that's all...

rooted

Post by rooted »

crashoverride wrote:Two things I have learned today:
1) Global Warming is now completely debunked! Image
2) Rolling blackouts reportedly attributed to half our wind turbines being frozen at a time that energy is critical to sustaining life means that "green" is more an ideology than a reality. :o

Hope everyone is staying warm.
I thought the inverse, these subzero temperatures where it should be 50+ prove radical climate change :)

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

rooted wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:43 pm
these subzero temperatures where it should be 50+ prove radical climate change
Our climate has not changed, though. We are set to tie a record low from 100+ years ago. Before that, we were matching 40+ years ago.

The difference between 40+ years ago and now is that we never had an issue making electricity. Our state is a leader in energy production with abundant oil and gas resources. As one news site put it, "its like starving in a grocery store".

The damage here is already mounting up. It is expected to finally get above freezing today, but another cold front is expected to plunge us back down below freezing before the week is done.
These users thanked the author crashoverride for the post:
Mangusta (Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:13 pm)

Mangusta
ODROIDs: No(
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mangusta »

crashoverride wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:11 pm
rooted wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:43 pm
these subzero temperatures where it should be 50+ prove radical climate change
Our climate has not changed, though. We are set to tie a record low from 100+ years ago. Before that, we were matching 40+ years ago.

The difference between 40+ years ago and now is that we never had an issue making electricity. Our state is a leader in energy production with abundant oil and gas resources. As one news site put it, "its like starving in a grocery store".

The damage here is already mounting up. It is expected to finally get above freezing today, but another cold front is expected to plunge us back down below freezing before the week is done.
The climate is not changing, all this talk of global warming is really more of a story. It doesn't work like that. At least not this fast. We are unlikely to see climate change of such a global nature at all. Unless, of course, someone intervenes in it.

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

Its amazing how opinions on "green energy" change when you are sitting in the dark with sub freezing temperatures and no ability to make heat (we matched Alaska's temperatures). Therefore, I propose a new law:

Before anyone can advocate for "green energy", they must first spend a week in Alaska with a wind generator and a solar panel. If they still think its a good idea after that, then we will listen to them.
These users thanked the author crashoverride for the post:
L67GS (Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:33 pm)

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

I believe green energy is a good idea preemptively in case our situation as a species changes or our oil gets used up, or just for cost effectiveness.
But going strictly to it is silly though, it doesn't make sense to not have a backup electrical grid.

As far as global warming goes there have always been scientists that point out we only have enough data to plot a small amount of the natural pattern of climate change but it is likely man has affected it.

cdu13a
ODROIDs: C1, C2, C4, XU4, HC1, N2, N2+

Post by cdu13a »

@crashoverride We use some wind power here(Canada), and don't have issues producing power in the winter, in fact power from wind tends to go up in the winter. It's more likely due to management/maintenance(somebody deciding to save a dollar where they shouldn't) issues that Texas had issues with it. Solar power tends to not produce as well in the winter here, but that is to be expected, since we only get about 8 hours of sun in the winter and 300+ cm (120+ inches) of snow. So not a good combination for solar. More traditional Hydro and Nuclear also get used for generating electricity here as well.

hominoid
ODROIDs: C2, C4, XU4, MC1, N1, N2, N2+, HC4

Post by hominoid »

crashoverride wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:34 pm
Its amazing how opinions on "green energy" change when you are sitting in the dark with sub freezing temperatures and no ability to make heat (we matched Alaska's temperatures). Therefore, I propose a new law:

Before anyone can advocate for "green energy", they must first spend a week in Alaska with a wind generator and a solar panel. If they still think its a good idea after that, then we will listen to them.
Ok I think I qualify, not because I live in Alaska, I live on the U.S.-Canadian boarder were it’s worse then many populated parts of Alaska. Homer Alaska’s record snow fall a couple of years ago was 140” with an average of 72”. Our average here is 270” with a record of 390”. Sub-zero temperature(F) and Gale force winds up to 60mph are not unusual either. What the rest of the country is experience is a normal winter here on Lake Superior.

When I first heard about the renewable energy problems down south I thought the same thing as @cdu13a. Someone messed up on the planning and provisioning of those systems. Wind energy conversion systems(WECS) here didn’t have a problem. Furthermore, I have owned and operated a solar photo-voltaic array and a solar hot water array here for over a decade with no problems. This idea that these system don’t work in cold climates is an equally misleading “ideology”.

Like all investments it’s about the finance. Which means, at a minimum, a cost-benefit analysis and the establishment of a break even point. A Kw of electricity is expensive here $.28, not as much in other places. When I did the work years ago it was clear that both system were indeed practical and profitable. As I have had to explain endlessly to some of the locals, even though the solar systems aren’t producing as much in the winter, they over produce in the summer allowing me to net meter enough energy to cover my total utilization for the year within a reasonable break-even point. It was intentionally planned, designed and provisioned that way for those reasons. A similar thing goes for the solar hot water system, it’s not producing year round but I get free hot water for 50% of the year and still the break-even point was less than 5 years. It paid for itself years ago. I could produce free hot water year around If I ever get around to installing the micro-wind turbine I have for my hot water maker.

One last technical point I want to make is that solar PV system get more efficient the colder they run so they are more efficient in the winter which partly offsets cloud cover and snow covered panels. Over the years my highest producing days were in the winter were I have actually exceeded the rated capacity of the solar array many times. Right now, I just looked, I’m producing 752watts/hour on a cold partly cloudy/sunny winter day on a 1.52kw array.

My point in all of this is that there is no one solution that is going to solve the worlds energy problems. It has to be a combination of energy source that are wisely planned and provisioned for the geographical location in question. We need all energy sources and all hands on deck to solve this problem! The sooner we all get off our ideology soapbox’s and stick to a ridge quantitative analysis the more likely we will be able to sustain the quality of life we all want, for the whole world and future generations...he says as he steps off his soapbox. :)

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

The situation is getting quite dire. In addition to power loss, many are now without water since there is no power to run the water filtration plants, and many pipes have burst from freeing. Compounding the issue, store shelves are largely empty and re-supply deliveries are uncertain. In this game of survival, we still have to face the final "boss battle" at the end of the week when temperatures return to extremes.

cdu13a
ODROIDs: C1, C2, C4, XU4, HC1, N2, N2+

Post by cdu13a »

crashoverride wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:42 am
The situation is getting quite dire. In addition to power loss, many are now without water since there is no power to run the water filtration plants, and many pipes have burst from freeing. Compounding the issue, store shelves are largely empty and re-supply deliveries are uncertain. In this game of survival, we still have to face the final "boss battle" at the end of the week when temperatures return to extremes.
Will the government likely to do much to help people, or are they likely to just spout hot air and point fingers in the wrong direction? You get hurricanes down there after all so there has to be some kind of emergency bring in the army national guard type plan for when extreme weather happens(Even if it's not the usual type of extreme weather).

Stay safe, and stay warm.

rooted

Post by rooted »

So the weather in Texas is why fuel prices have risen in the last couple of days, I hadn't realized that until just now.

I wish you the best crash, the news does make the situation in Texas sound dire.

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

cdu13a wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:54 pm
Will the government likely to do much to help people, or are they likely to just spout hot air and point fingers in the wrong direction?
From what I have seen, they are just blaming everyone and everything other than themselves while making it sound as if they were personally shoveling coal into furnaces to keep the lights on. One of our senators just went on vacation to a luxury resort in Cancun, Mexico.
cdu13a wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:54 pm
You get hurricanes down there after all so there has to be some kind of emergency bring in the army national guard type plan for when extreme weather happens
They are experts at deploying sand bags! However, sand bags are not very useful for generating heat, food, or water.
;)
rooted wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:52 pm
I wish you the best crash, the news does make the situation in Texas sound dire.
Thanks. Can I sleep on your couch?
:lol:

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Thanks. Can I sleep on your couch?
If you can get to it, the blankets are free!

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

I assume a lot of you guys have mp3 collections, the program "normalize-audio" is in the apt repo and is awesome.
It can batch a whole directory of files and scale the db any way you want so they're all the same level from there in.
My Candice project has a bunch of random sounds in wav format and it normalized them for me too.

rooted

Post by rooted »

L67GS wrote:I assume a lot of you guys have mp3 collections, the program "normalize-audio" is in the apt repo and is awesome.
It can batch a whole directory of files and scale the db any way you want so they're all the same level from there in.
My Candice project has a bunch of random sounds in wav format and it normalized them for me too.
I don't like this feature in music applications such as Spotify, usually louder music is indicative of higher dynamic range and I want to hear it closest to the way it was mastered. It's why I like Deezer so much due to the lossless quality of most songs, I do still have a large collection of music but it's in flac format and my current phone doesn't have an SD card.

For what you are doing normalizing the levels makes sense.

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

rooted wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:24 pm
L67GS wrote:I assume a lot of you guys have mp3 collections, the program "normalize-audio" is in the apt repo and is awesome.
I don't like this feature in music applications such as Spotify, usually louder music is indicative of higher dynamic range and I want to hear it closest to the way it was mastered. It's why I like Deezer so much due to the lossless quality of most songs, I do still have a large collection of music but it's in flac format and my current phone doesn't have an SD card.

For what you are doing normalizing the levels makes sense.
Oh I'm using it on my mp3's too, and completely agree that songs should remain unaltered.
The program just makes all the songs all the same relative volume to one another so I don't have to keep fiddling with the volume at work.
I'm trying now to get length of audio files in c++ to write a multithreading aplay interface that mixes songs like on the radio rather than having them play in succession.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

that mixes songs like on the radio rather than having them play in succession.
What do you mean? Do you want to play songs overlapping? In that case you should be able to use 2 player instances with a dmix alsa output. Or if you want fade out/in on song changes, surely there are players that can do that...

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

mad_ady wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:10 am
that mixes songs like on the radio rather than having them play in succession.
What do you mean? Do you want to play songs overlapping? In that case you should be able to use 2 player instances with a dmix alsa output. Or if you want fade out/in on song changes, surely there are players that can do that...
Well then, there goes that little challenge.
I've spent hours looking for a simple way to get audio file duration in c++ for nothing. Lol

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Experience has taught me that most wheels have already been invented. You just need to know they exist and piece odd things together...
Also, for your problem - surely there is at least one c library that can do it. Otherwise try mediainfo and scrape it's output. But we're getting back to my first point...

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

I'd still like to get the size in milliseconds and then be able to bounce between two threads nice and simple.

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

Happy to report its finally over! Now, rebuilding can begin. While the news is reporting that "Major Disaster" assistance was approved for Texas, this is currently not true. Only 77 counties out of 254 are declared (77/254 = 0.303 = 30% = less than a third).
L67GS wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:47 am
I've spent hours looking for a simple way to get audio file duration in c++ for nothing.
Unless the audio is RAW PCM, you will need to use a library that understands the container (.wav, .mp3, .flac, etc) to determine duration.
mad_ady wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:44 am
Experience has taught me that most wheels have already been invented.
I have concluded that most wheels need to be re-invented! Otherwise, you end up with some "Rube Goldberg"[1] abomination.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg

Return to “General Topics”