Free OGA and OGS controller grip 3D models

Third party OS images and hardware mods
PlasticExistence
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid XU4, Odroid Go Advance, Odroid Go Super

Free OGA and OGS controller grip 3D models

Post by PlasticExistence »

Hi everyone,

I have hands that don't get along so well with the flat design of handheld devices, love them though I do! I therefore remixed a 3DS controller grip into ones that fit the Odroid Go Advance and the Odroid Go Super!

You can find them here along with print instructions (and if you don't have a 3D printer, you can still order one of these to be printed through any number of available "print on demand" services): https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4756805

I hope this helps anyone who would like better ergonomics!

Happy gaming!

-- philthy

Last edited by PlasticExistence on Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
These users thanked the author PlasticExistence for the post (total 3):
odroid (Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:23 am) • Pumpkinwaffle (Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:19 am) • macc24 (Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:52 am)

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Free OGS controller grip 3D model

Post by odroid »

Thank you for sharing. Very nice design indeed. :D
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
PlasticExistence (Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:30 am)

PlasticExistence

It is, though I did not do the initial design, just the resize and fit. I'm a big fan of Odroid products, and I'm happy to share!

Pumpkinwaffle
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: OGS
Been thanked: 0

Post by Pumpkinwaffle »

Nice one! My hands don't agree with the OGA either, was hoping this wouldn't be the case with the OGS being bigger.
Makes me wish my 3d printer wasn't kaput but alas it no longer lives.

I'll consider getting it printed once my OGS arrives, if its ergonomics don't work for me. Thank you for taking the time to make this, it'll help quite a few folks I'm sure.

PlasticExistence

Pumpkinwaffle wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:21 am
Nice one! My hands don't agree with the OGA either, was hoping this wouldn't be the case with the OGS being bigger.
Makes me wish my 3d printer wasn't kaput but alas it no longer lives.

I'll consider getting it printed once my OGS arrives, if its ergonomics don't work for me. Thank you for taking the time to make this, it'll help quite a few folks I'm sure.
You're welcome! I just updated my Thingiverse page with a grip sized for the OGA too. If you live in the USA, an Ameridroid employee said on Reddit earlier today to contact them if you are interested in having one made. They said they think they could make it (the OGS one) for about $20. I'm not sure if that is shipping included or not. https://www.reddit.com/r/ODroid/comment ... &context=3
These users thanked the author PlasticExistence for the post:
Ameridroid (Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:51 am)

Pumpkinwaffle

Re: Free OGA and OGS controller grip 3D models

Post by Pumpkinwaffle »

Yeesh 20bucks is a 1kg spool of PLA where I live.
I'm in France so it's rather unlikely to happen. It'll have to wait till I patch up my printer or when I'm able to visit a friend who has one. I've somewhat blown my budget with the OGS release ^^

I don't know how copyright works with remixes, but the file you made this holder from has a non commercial license. I guess they'd be selling it as print on demand rather than an actual product so it's okay.

Loving the paint job on that OGA by the way.

Lolden
ODROIDs: Odroid Go-Super
Has thanked: 0

Post by Lolden »

Would this interfere with the cooling holes in the back of the OGS?

PlasticExistence

Pumpkinwaffle wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:06 am
Yeesh 20bucks is a 1kg spool of PLA where I live.
I'm in France so it's rather unlikely to happen. It'll have to wait till I patch up my printer or when I'm able to visit a friend who has one. I've somewhat blown my budget with the OGS release ^^

I don't know how copyright works with remixes, but the file you made this holder from has a non commercial license. I guess they'd be selling it as print on demand rather than an actual product so it's okay.

Loving the paint job on that OGA by the way.
LOL on the usage of "yeesh"! I say that a lot, but I don't know too many others who do, and I don't often see it written out. I like you, stranger!

I'm 100% for DIY, and I agree with you. The charge would be for the time, plastic, expertise and perhaps shipping, but definitely not the model itself. I released my remix under the same Creative Commons license as the original.

$20 is a bit steep considering the cost of PLA, but they're a small company producing these themselves. If you don't own a 3D printer, then it's not too much money if you consider the learning curve and expense it would take to go from beginner to printed controller grip. Several people have already told me that they are looking for a print-and-ship service for these. I mean, you can't get them on Amazon, so if you really want one without a printer then your options are limited.

Thank you for the compliment on the paint job! I went for a Super Metroid Samus theme (Varia Suit). The green paint is ultraviolet light reactive, so it really glows like her visor in the right light! (That's a UV LED I have plugged into the GPIO pins in the bottom right of the four shots.)

PlasticExistence

Lolden wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:21 pm
Would this interfere with the cooling holes in the back of the OGS?
It hasn't so far in my testing, even running the OGS overclocked at 1.5 Ghz. There's a gap in the middle of the upper half of this model that just so happens to fit under where the vents and speaker holes sit on the case. The fit is snug, but not air tight. I don't think it will be a concern, but it would be possible to pretty easily drill some air holes through the grip without effecting functionality. You could use a heatsink on the SoC and even wire in a fan if you really want to go for overkill.

I don't think any of that's necessary though. I can still hear the sound just fine and it never feels warm to me. I have primarily been playing Dreamcast games on it while using with my grip, and I haven't had any problems. There about 5 mm of space to prop the OGS up if you want to use a few felt pads beneath it where it sits in the grip. That would unmuffle the sound and allow for airflow.

Pumpkinwaffle

Post by Pumpkinwaffle »

Hahaha yeah with french being my native language I pick up expression from here and there. My accent will shift based on the topic I'm discussing as my vocabulary on said topic will come for a Canadian, or an Australian or from the UK... Native speakers say I don't sound french, but that my accent is weird, not wrong per say, just weird.

Considering all it takes for a successful print and the tax on selling an item it seems like a fair price (I'd guess at around an10h print? depending on wall thickness). It's just that having owned a 3D printer those prices seem high to me at first glance. I'm also pretty broke i guess :P

A continuation of the vent holes could be a good idea though in my experience the oga doesn't get very hot. Interesting that the sound doesn't get muffled though I suppose prints are so hollow that it can't really interfere.

rooted

Post by rooted »

This being 3D printed one could actually integrate a pathway for the speaker to exit the top of the grip and make it sound better than it does without it.

PlasticExistence

Pumpkinwaffle wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:16 am
Hahaha yeah with french being my native language I pick up expression from here and there. My accent will shift based on the topic I'm discussing as my vocabulary on said topic will come for a Canadian, or an Australian or from the UK... Native speakers say I don't sound french, but that my accent is weird, not wrong per say, just weird.

Considering all it takes for a successful print and the tax on selling an item it seems like a fair price (I'd guess at around an10h print? depending on wall thickness). It's just that having owned a 3D printer those prices seem high to me at first glance. I'm also pretty broke i guess :P

A continuation of the vent holes could be a good idea though in my experience the oga doesn't get very hot. Interesting that the sound doesn't get muffled though I suppose prints are so hollow that it can't really interfere.
That's funny! I sometimes get asked about my accent too. I'm from the southeastern USA, but my folks lived elsewhere a large portion of their lives, so I have a mixed accent.

I used three perimeters / shells to print this with 20% gyroid infill. It took a bit over 24 hours of total print time, and it absolutely maxed out the print bed capacity for both halves, so I think $20 is fair. I was happy to share the model, but I don't want to tie up my printer that long for each grip by taking orders. Other people and companies are better equipped to do that, although I think it would be possible to get away with less infill, a faster infill pattern and maybe only 2 shells. Since I only need one of them, I'll have to leave that up to other people to experiment.
rooted wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:14 pm
This being 3D printed one could actually integrate a pathway for the speaker to exit the top of the grip and make it sound better than it does without it.
I honestly didn't give this a lot of thought since I prefer to use headphones for stereo sound and the OGA had the speaker on the front. This grip for the OGS was just a resize of the OGA one I'd made previously. Certainly the model can be improved in a number of ways, but I thought I would share it as-is since I'm satisfied with how my print came together.

I hope someone does remix this into an even better model though! There are also plenty of other free controller grip models that may be better starting places than this one. I printed a Nintendo New 3DS XL grip that would probably scale up nicely and use less material.
Last edited by PlasticExistence on Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

macc24
languages_spoken: english polish
ODROIDs: GoA-BE, GoS

Post by macc24 »

Hello! Can you try splitting 2 biggest stil files in half? My printer bed is not big enough

rooted

Post by rooted »

macc24 wrote:Hello! Can you try splitting 2 biggest stil files in half? My printer bed is not big enough
You can split them yourself in prusaslicer

PlasticExistence

macc24 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:52 pm
Hello! Can you try splitting 2 biggest stil files in half? My printer bed is not big enough
This was super easy to do in Prusa Slicer, but I don't know what slicer you use, so I just did it for you rather than wait for you to tell me. I encourage you to learn how to do this since it's essential knowledge for using slicers.

I've attached a zip file containing two STLs. Both STLs contain two parts (for a total of four). If you can't fit two parts on your print bed at once, just delete one half in your slicer and print them separately.

Happy printing, and please post your make for us to see when you're done!
Attachments
OGS-Grip-Split.zip
(627.46 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
These users thanked the author PlasticExistence for the post (total 2):
odroid (Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:17 am) • macc24 (Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:52 pm)

hominoid
ODROIDs: C2, C4, XU4, MC1, N1, N2, N2+, HC4

Post by hominoid »

PlasticExistence wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:54 am
macc24 wrote:
This was super easy to do in Prusa Slicer, but I don't know what slicer you use, so I just did it for you rather than wait for you to tell me. I encourage you to learn how to do this since it's essential knowledge for using slicers.

I've attached a zip file containing two STLs. Both STLs contain two parts (for a total of four). If you can't fit two parts on your print bed at once, just delete one half in your slicer and print them separately.

An easier solution for most might be to rotate by 45 degrees the upper and lower halves on your platter, then they will fit without quartering them.

PlasticExistence

hominoid wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:24 am
PlasticExistence wrote:
macc24 wrote:

An easier solution for most might be to rotate by 45 degrees the upper and lower halves on your platter, then they will fit without quartering them.
Unfortunately this won't work without a large format printer. The OGS model maxes out a Prusa i3 MK3S (210x210x250mm) with the model already angled. LIke I literally couldn't have gotten a bigger controller grip to print in two pieces. I was surprised I was able to get away with it!

macc24
languages_spoken: english polish
ODROIDs: GoA-BE, GoS

Post by macc24 »

hominoid wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:24 am
PlasticExistence wrote:
macc24 wrote:

It was theoretically fitting my Ender 3 but I don't trust it to not mess it up, wasting 20% of my PLA reserves

hominoid
ODROIDs: C2, C4, XU4, MC1, N1, N2, N2+, HC4

Post by hominoid »

PlasticExistence wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:38 am
Unfortunately this won't work without a large format printer. The OGS model maxes out a Prusa i3 MK3S (210x210x250mm) with the model already angled. LIke I literally couldn't have gotten a bigger controller grip to print in two pieces. I was surprised I was able to get away with it!
Yeah, not for the OGS. It does work for the OGA though.

Return to “Projects”