New H2+ - no BIOS screen + red light

storm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: H2+
Been thanked: 0

New H2+ - no BIOS screen + red light

Post by storm »

New H2+ and I have tried multiple ram sticks and worked with a local computer shop to diagnose. Please help. I feel I have a faulty board.

H2+
G.Skill RIPJAWS 8Gx2 PC4-19200 F4-2400C16D-16GRS 2400 2400 16-16-16-39 Confirmed by @venkatbo
WD 500 GB SSD

I have tried 3 different pairs of ram, single ram sticks, ram from the approved list, ram not from the approved list. I have tried HDMI and Display Port. NOTHING WORKS. And I always get a red light on the board.

I used to have 2 blue and one red light and I would have to hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn the unit off. It would always light up again right away. Now, the power button functionality has changed and I only get one red light and the power button activates right away. I get a quick green light then 2 blue and 1 red light again.

Please help me diagnose this before I send it back. I never get to BIOS screen ever.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: New H2+ - no BIOS screen + red light

Post by odroid »

Recently, a few users reported the G.Skill memory modules don't work with H2/H2+ anymore.
I think G.Skill might changed their hardware design.
We are trying to get some G.Skill memory samples to find a root cause. But it may take a couple of weeks.
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
storm (Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:44 pm)

storm

Post by storm »

Would you mind, kindly, recommending RAM that you know works with the latest firmware / this hardware? I would really appreciate getting it finally right. Anyone? What is the newest that works for 8GB or 16GB.

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

Any Samsung modules worked fine.
I hope other users will share more experiences.

darkalfie
ODROIDs: c2,xu4,n2
Has thanked: 0

Post by darkalfie »

I tried using a Crucial ram, and it didnt work. So i just ordered 2 x 16gb Samsung module from Odroid https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/samsung ... 0-so-dimm/ and it came as 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V modules instead. it has the same issue where it has blue/red/blue LED on, and requires to hold power off for >5 sec. No bios.

Edit: It works fine : viewtopic.php?p=320936#p320936

storm

Post by storm »

I have now tried this:
Crucial 16Gx2 PC4-21300 CT2K16G4SFD8266 2666 2400 19-19-19-?? Confirmed by @jit-010101
and the 8Gx2 version
and the shipping costs and the return costs....this is starting to be a $800 computer now.

I still have 2 blue lights and 1 red one in the middle. This is ridiculous. I've never once seen a BIOS screen with this device. The sales department said it wasn't an issue and the forum tech would help me. This is the fourth set of ram myself and other computer guys at the store have tried in this unit.

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

@storm,
Remove backup battery and wait several minutes.
Then connect the DC plug and wait several minutes again until appearing the BIOS screen since some other users should wait for the first booting process.

nibman
ODROIDs: H2 plus

Post by nibman »

I have same problem, blue, red and blue light. Nothing shows up on screen. I have one Crucial 8GB memory module DDR4-2666 CT8G4SFRA266.C8FD1, have tried it in both slots. I have Kingston NVMe A2000 250GB disk. I have tried to start without any of them, with only memory module in. I have tried both HDMI and displayport. I have tried removing the battery and waited 10 minutes. Nothing shows up on screen at all.

I have tried the reset button, gives only short blink of blue LED.

I have tried power button, after a long press on the button the LED turns off but turns on as soon as I release the button.

If the board is so picky about which RAM module it requires, why not mention on sales page? Now I have bought a RAM module I have no use for at all and I cannot return it.

Why not sell the board equipped with memory that works from start?

I will try to borrow a couple of modules and see if those works.

storm

Post by storm »

Thank you odroid.

I had the backup battery out for two days at least. I have plugged the unit in and am on the 4+ hour boot sequence. It is again not working for me. I do not get a BIOS screen. I still have a red light with 2 blue ones.

storm

Post by storm »

Repeated the process again today. It has still not booted into BIOS. Please send me one that works.

storm

Post by storm »

Repeated again this morning. No BIOS. I'm over $200 shipping and returning RAM. The only change I've seen is the 5 second hold power button to the 2 blue + 1 red + power off under 1 second.

storm

Post by storm »

I am able to get into BIOS now with a lower resolution monitor and the Crucial RAM. It does not send the HDMI Input control a signal to my hi-res monitor to switch or display in 1080p mode.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

Wow, this is a new finding... Thanks for sharing.
Does the old high-res monitor work when you boot the OS?
You can also try to set the bios to mirror the output to the serial port - that should lower the resolution of the bios. Maybe it makes a difference.

SatDad
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C4, H2b, H2+

Post by SatDad »

as already mentioned in the "GSKILL" thread, i had the same issue with a brand new H2+. Only blue and red LEDs, reboot, as you mentioned, power down and after a second it was up again. But finally i got this thing up and running. It just took at least 5 min for an initial boot. Even with my GSKILL RAM (2* 16 GB). After this long lasting initial boot it boots up right away into the BIOS without any delay. Give it a try and be patient ;-))

Return to “Issues”