[OS] DietPi | Minimal image, highly extensible

MichaIng
languages_spoken: english german

[OS] DietPi | Minimal image, highly extensible

Post by MichaIng »

DietPi is an extremely lightweight Debian-based OS. It is highly optimised for minimal CPU and RAM resource usage, ensuring your Odroid always runs at its maximum potential.

Use dietpi-software to quick and easy install Ready to Run & Optimised applications for your system. DietPi will do all the necessary configurations, including starting the services.

DietPi is compatible with Odroid XU3/XU4/MC1/HC1/HC2, Odroid C1, Odroid C2, Odroid C4/HC4, Odroid N1 and Odroid N2.

Our Odroid images are based on Meveric's Odroid repository and his great work on providing kernel and GPU driver packages, as well as media and gaming software. Check our his images and repository here in the forum or browse our mirror: https://dietpi.com/meveric/

Download images: https://dietpi.com/#download
Documentation: https://dietpi.com/docs/
Forums: https://dietpi.com/phpbb/
GitHub repository: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi

DietPi is a free and open-source project. We are be happy if you consider to contribute or donate: https://dietpi.com/contribute.html
Consider to share your donation between DietPi and Meveric.

Moderators notice: This is aimed to be a replacement for the old DietPi thread here: viewtopic.php?t=15700
Due to personal circumstances the project lead has been given to me a while ago: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2589
To allow me easily update the post and since the last post on the old thread is more then two years ago, I thought it's best to start with a fresh one, I hope this is okay. It would be great if you could unpin the old thread and pin this one instead.
Last edited by MichaIng on Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author MichaIng for the post:
meveric (Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:31 am)

EhsanRoid
languages_spoken: English

Re: [OS] DietPi | Minimal image, highly extensible

Post by EhsanRoid »

Hi MichaIng

thanks for new thread.
DitePi ... really cool.
These users thanked the author EhsanRoid for the post:
MichaIng (Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:47 pm)

MichaIng

Post by MichaIng »

Many thanks for your feedback, I hope you enjoy it on your Exynos5 :). Stay save and healthy!
EhsanRoid (Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:25 pm)

MichaIng

Post by MichaIng »

@EhsanRoid
I just saw your post at the old thread. Do you still have issues with the auto-login into desktop? The easiest way is:
- dietpi-autostart 2, or dietpi-autostart (opens the menu) and select 2 : Automatic login there. When using the menu, you are able to select any other present login user, else root is used.
- dietpi-autostart 16, or dietpi-autostart (opens the menu) and select 16 : LightDM login mask there. This will install LightDM, reasonable for manual login, but it can be as well configured to login automatically with a specific user.

What I am actually not sure about, when installing the lighdm package manually, its systemd service might override the dietpi-autostart auto-login, i.e. while dietpi-autostart 2 was selected, it keeps showing LightDM login mask as the service starts earlier than ours. I'll have a look into this. In case: apt purge lighdm or systemctl disable lightdm.
Danielsan wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:44 am
What unpleasant experience... Slow, sluggish a lot of issues... I already knew that I should avoid to even try it... Every time I try this distro that declares that can do it almost everything it happens always the contrary.
I'm sad to hear about your bad experience. As of an earlier question of you: HW accelerated Kodi, Chromium, Amiberry and others should work, the Mali drivers are installed together with the X server. About the other things, it would be great if you could go a bit into detail, so that we can have a look what and why is slow and sluggish and what you expected but cannot do.

Danielsan
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-XU4
Been thanked: 0

Post by Danielsan »

Honestly do not remember very well but basically the kiosk mode did never worked out full screen nor had the GPU enabled, the same for the Desktop version, the cloudshell module didn't work out properly. I didn't dig more in depth because I just wishes to find everything working properly out of the box but they didn't, hence I lost all my interest in this project. I understand basically the issue is originated by the poor support from Hardkernel, only the PIs have a decent Linux Kernel support while all the ones I had the kernel support were just barely sufficient...

This is what really piss me off about these SoC and ARM processors in general, everything is a mess and if ARM does not find a way to standardize a bit the situation we would never have ARM diffusion in the Desktop space like we have with the X86 processors...

MichaIng

Post by MichaIng »

Hmm, especially on the XU4, GPU acceleration for X server applications should work fine, we install the Mali T628 graphics driver and, ArmSoC frambuffer driver and configure the X server to use it. As well Chromium is configured to use EGL/GLES. So if it does not work as expected, we'd need to have a closer look inside, if the X server runs with expected configuration.

Hardkernel support is not the major problem here, it is ARM in general and the SoC manufacturers, as you noted (not to mix up with SBC manufacturers like Hardkernel) that do not make everything open source to allow collaborate development and standards. Also things like the Mali drivers e.g. where only library blobs were available for a long time and now the reverse-engineered Mesa drivers have become better, for most SoCs. It's getting better, especially with new SoCs, like RK3399. Hardkernel btw is one of the more active kernel developing manufacturers (it cannot be compared with Raspberry Pi, just see the magnitude of order differences in sold units), and Linux 5.4 images are already available. We'll migrate soon as well but first need to integrate a configuration frontend for toggling device tree overlays :).

I'm btw currently updating our XU4 image. No major changes but less first boot update tasks and a cleaner image.
EDIT: Done, new image is now based on current DietPi v6.34 with kernel on latest 4.14 build and all APT packages up-to-date.
odroid (Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:32 am)

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

MichaIng wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:13 am
... and Linux 5.4 images are already available. We'll migrate soon as well but first need to integrate a configuration frontend for toggling device tree overlays :).
Still an open task on my list :)
Kernel 5.4 alone is not enough for device tree overlays, I need to update uboot as well, but if I update uboot, it complains about boot.ini having wrong syntax (probably characters like comments that are no longer supported).
I have to check what's the actual problem and hopefully be able to fix boot.ini in a way that it works both with 5.4 and 4.14.
Not that the GO3 and N1 are mostly done, XU4 and HC4 changes are next on my todo list :D
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
MichaIng (Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:25 pm)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

MichaIng

Post by MichaIng »

meveric wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:29 pm
I need to update uboot as well, but if I update uboot, it complains about boot.ini having wrong syntax
The next days I'm working on images from scratch with Debian kernel and U-Boot, where available, as replacement for the Armbian-based images. I have zero experience with boot.ini, probably I'll mail you for some help, if own reseach + trail & error won't do it ;). I aim to create a consistent structure and variable naming convention for those files, to allow implementing usual boot/kernel options for all SBCs into our scripts in a consistent way. Does current U-Boot still support boot.ini? I thought it requires boot.cmd => boot.scr then. If both would work, not sure which one to prefer: boot.ini of course is simpler, as no compiling is required, but misses the protection again data corruption, which is the reason for boot.scr?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

Kernel 3.10, 4.9, 4.14 and 5.4 which are currently supported by HardKernel all load boot.ini
Upstream u-boot may react differently, but I'm currently only using the ones provided by HardKernel.

BTW Upstream Kernel if not provided by HardKernel, may not have GPU support, Panfrost does currently not work on the ODROID XU4, as the Mali T62x is not supported.

But I'm not sure how Armbian works, they have very different approach when it comes to Kernel, u-boot and patches.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

MichaIng

Post by MichaIng »

I'll not change the Odroid image sources, aside of by times start to build them from scratch, but still with your repository, kernel and U-Boot. I'll do it step-by-step, starting with RK3399 images where I know that Panfrost support is good, and based on Debian Bullseye directly (Mesa v20 + other things build against it). Main intention is to drop Armbian as image basis for most other SBC manufacturers, as they ship with a large set of tools and services tied together with their kernel packages, conflicting with our scripts and setup intentions.

I'll play around with the boot configurations. If boot.ini support does not work with current mainline Linux or U-Boot or is deprecated at least, I'll likely go with boot.cmd/src to be future prove.

meveric

Post by meveric »

I can help you with that here and there.
I already have a Debian Bullseye RK3399 image for the ODROID N1, which works awesome :D
It even runs (starts) Crysis :P

I have packages for MESA 20.3 and wait for releases of 21.0-rcX as there are plenty of new features, like OpenGL 3.0 support, which is currently only partly available in 20.3.

Anyway I got some experience with upsteam by now thanks to the ODROID N1 and RK3399.
One of the reasons, I switched the naming of my Kernels, so I could use flash-kernel to automatically create boot.scr where necessary.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
MichaIng (Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:11 pm)

lightsout

Post by lightsout »

I have an xu4 running dietpi on an sd card. All is well. Want to move to an emmc. Must have flashed the thing ten times yesterday. It never boots with the emmc. Never even turns on.

Flashing with win32 in windows with latest image. Formatted drive in Diskpart.

Seems that the drive works as the flashing is successful. Guess I should burn another image to see if I get a different result. Any thoughts?

Edit# think my emmc slot is dead.

MichaIng

Post by MichaIng »

lightsout wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:05 am
Please report back if the the eMMC slot was not the issue, as the image should actually boot from eMMC, when flashing it there in the first place. If indeed the image does not boot from eMMC, it would be great if you could test this one, which uses the same kernel and bootloader, so we can narrow down the issue: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/testing/

lightsout

Post by lightsout »

MichaIng wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:45 pm
lightsout wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:05 am
Please report back if the the eMMC slot was not the issue, as the image should actually boot from eMMC, when flashing it there in the first place. If indeed the image does not boot from eMMC, it would be great if you could test this one, which uses the same kernel and bootloader, so we can narrow down the issue: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/testing/
Thank you. You can see more info in this thread as to what happened. When I did the emmc recovery process I can boot a fresh image of dietpi so you should be good.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=34373

I am currently having a hard time booting an image that I flashed on the emmc that I made with a working dietpi install on an sd card.

The xu4 turns on and everything is running, led, activity on th eth jack. But no display and nothing comes up on my network.

Can I use the backup/restore feature to backup from an sd and restore to an emmc? Currently backing up so I guess I'll find out.

MichaIng

Post by MichaIng »

Yes it's possible to backup from SD card and restore to eMMC, as long as the originally flashed image is the same. It's important that the drive's and partitions' UUIDs are identical, which are part of the images partition table / meta data that is stored on the raw disk outside of the file system, so those are not part of the backup. Same with the bootloader.
If UUIDs do not match, /etc/fstab and /boot/boot.ini would need to be adjusted before doing a reboot. Coincidentally we're currently implementing a feature which requires a check for exactly this matter into dietpi-backup. When restoring a backup, it will compare the fstab UUIDs of the backup with the systems UUIDs it's being restored to and in case of mismatch warn, but allow to have fstab and boot configs adjusted automatically, when we find known boot configuration files: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/pull/4112

lightsout

Post by lightsout »

MichaIng wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:09 pm
Yes it's possible to backup from SD card and restore to eMMC, as long as the originally flashed image is the same. It's important that the drive's and partitions' UUIDs are identical, which are part of the images partition table / meta data that is stored on the raw disk outside of the file system, so those are not part of the backup. Same with the bootloader.
If UUIDs do not match, /etc/fstab and /boot/boot.ini would need to be adjusted before doing a reboot. Coincidentally we're currently implementing a feature which requires a check for exactly this matter into dietpi-backup. When restoring a backup, it will compare the fstab UUIDs of the backup with the systems UUIDs it's being restored to and in case of mismatch warn, but allow to have fstab and boot configs adjusted automatically, when we find known boot configuration files: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/pull/4112
Thanks for the reply, sounds like a helpful feature. I am going with a clean install but this may be helpful in the future.

mopedfahrer
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: c2, xu4 * 2
Has thanked: 0

Post by mopedfahrer »

Hello @lightsout, I am just another Beginner, who heard now about that DietPi.

About your boot problem: the easiest cause could be, to forget that boot switch at XU4, which is selecting between SD or eMMC booting...
These users thanked the author mopedfahrer for the post:
MichaIng (Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:19 pm)

Return to “Other OS”