[OS] Debian Buster for ODROID C4/HC4

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Re: [OS] Debian Buster for ODROID C4/HC4

Post by meveric »

Version 1.1 is fine that's the correct version.
Hmm I tested this on my HC4 and it was working fine.
It can take quite a while though.
The petitboot has a long waiting time.
Then the image boots, does some background processes, reboots, you have to wait for petitboot again and then it starts the image again.
It takes even longer if you don't have Network cable connected.

Check the blue LED, if it's blinking, then the Kernel was loaded, which means, u-boot and bootfs are fine.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

peppoonline
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by peppoonline »

Okay....understood. Perhaps I miscalculated the waiting time!
As far as my end goal, I'd like to have the OS installed on my SSD...but first things first :)
Thanks for your help!

rooted

Post by rooted »

I forgot about this image and could have used it earlier today, subscribing so that doesn't happen again.
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
tobetter (Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:32 pm)

maxymo

Post by maxymo »

Hi guys,I am new here, just installed Debian Buster on ODROID-HC4, after installation it rebooted and get the petitboot and loaded Debian but nothing is displayed in screen, luckily SSH was enabled on installation process and I can access via SSH.

Any idea why it doesn't show anything, I didn't install any desktop so I was expecting the typical black login screen from Debian.

Thanks for any help.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

normally that is what should happen.. just the login screen.
The fact that you could login via SSH means that he image booted up correctly so I don't see why it shouldn't show the regular login screen.
Maybe it has something to do with the monitor configuration.

There are some options for this in the boot.ini of the image where you can set resolution and other options.
Depending on the monitor you use you may have to adjust the monitor settings of the image.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

maxymo

Post by maxymo »

meveric wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:32 am
normally that is what should happen.. just the login screen.
The fact that you could login via SSH means that he image booted up correctly so I don't see why it shouldn't show the regular login screen.
Maybe it has something to do with the monitor configuration.

There are some options for this in the boot.ini of the image where you can set resolution and other options.
Depending on the monitor you use you may have to adjust the monitor settings of the image.
Thank you maveric. I don't seem to have boot.ini file but have boot.scr however there is not reference to anything about monitor or display configuration.

I found in other post entries for this file about resolution and I added the below, however linux stopped booting

setenv m "720p"
setenv vout_mode "hdmi"

I installed Ubuntu this time but have the same issue.

My monitor is a 4k, I will try later with an older monitor and see if that solves the issue.

thanks.

meveric

Post by meveric »

maxymo wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:35 am
Thank you maveric. I don't seem to have boot.ini file but have boot.scr however there is not reference to anything about monitor or display configuration.

I found in other post entries for this file about resolution and I added the below, however linux stopped booting

setenv m "720p"
setenv vout_mode "hdmi"
What you describe does not match the ODROID C4/HC4.

The boot.scr and especially setenv m "720p" is from the Exynos 4 series of ODROIDs and has nothing to do with the C4/HC4.
Also boot.scr can not be edited it's a binary file, if you change it it won't boot anymore

1MachineElf
ODROIDs: ODROID-HC4

Post by 1MachineElf »

Just want to say thank you for this. My ODROID-HC4 wasn't able to book Armbian like the OpenMediaVault 5 docs were suggesting to do. Your Debian 10 build booted and ran OMV5 just fine. Now I'm finally getting some use out of the thing. :D
These users thanked the author 1MachineElf for the post:
odroid (Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:04 am)

meveric

Post by meveric »

glad it's working for you :)
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
odroid (Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:04 am)

bopolissimus
ODROIDs: xu3 xu

Re: [OS] Debian Buster for ODROID C4/HC4 -- zfs

Post by bopolissimus »

Hi @meveric,

Thank you for this. It boots nicely on my HC4. I haven't done much with it yet, but it's pretty smooth so far (except for below).

I'd like to use the HC4 with zfs but the kernel module isn't there and installing zfsutils-linux/zfs-dkms eventually fails with a compile error around spl 0.7.12.

Is there a recommended way to get ZFS working?

Gerald

meveric

Post by meveric »

Hi Gerald,

I'm using the Kernel sources from HardKernel and if ZFS is not activated there it's normally not activated on my side either.

I checked however on the ZFS DKMS module form Debian Buster and found the version that is in the default repository (version 0.7.12 of spl-dkms and zfs-dkms) are not compatible with Kernel 4.9 that we're using.
Luckily for you in buster-backports there's version 0.8.5 available and THAT is compatible with Kernel 4.9.
So here is how you should be able to install ZFS DKMS:

Code: Select all

apt install -t buster-backports zfs-dkms
It takes quite a while to compile but should work nonetheless.

I have however no clue if it's working as I don't use ZFS myself.
bopolissimus (Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:04 pm)

bopolissimus
ODROIDs: xu3 xu

Post by bopolissimus »

Oh awesome, thank you very much!

Just for fun I've git cloned, built and am now testing openzfs. The loop test looks good and for fun I'll also run the zfs-tests.sh overnight. But I'll switch to using the buster-backports package when I switch to my real HDDs.

Gerald

joachimF
languages_spoken: german english
ODROIDs: odroid hc4

Post by joachimF »

Hi @meveric,

the Debian Buster image boots on my HC4. Thank you very much.
But how do I get the OLED module to work?

Joachim
Joachim

meveric

Post by meveric »

That is a really good question.
I haven't put much effort into this since the solution from HardKernel installs tons of third party python modules via pip and other means which I'm really not a big fan of.

Especially their package which they created doesn't work at all, or at least not under Debian with tons of missing dependencies.
It shows how unreliable pip installations are.

I would have to backtrack all requirements and probably make a script installer as a package is pretty much useless if in the end you have to download everything of the internet via pip anyway.

In short:
Currently I have no install for the LCD and you may have to follow guides on the internet, or wait until I integrate an install script into my setup-odroid tool.

astraluma
ODROIDs: HC4

Post by astraluma »

Ooph, that's good to know.

Looking around the code, the ODroid examples use a third party library called Luma for the display, which is based on Pillow (super common image library), spidev, and RPI.GPIO.

I would expect all of these components to run just fine on Debian. (But I haven't tried it, I just dug into GitHub.)

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-hc4/appl ... _note/oled is the example, but like meveric said, that apt command will probably fail.

joachimF
languages_spoken: german english
ODROIDs: odroid hc4

Post by joachimF »

I have tried the command sudo apt install odroid-homecloud-display without success. Then I tried something that should not be done, integrating the Ubuntu sources.list and sources.list.d folder into the Debian sources.list. Doesn't work either. So I wait until maybe an integration into the setup-odroid tool is done by @meveric.
Joachim

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

For the package, "odroid-homecloud-display", it's only provided by my package server or Hardkernel's Ubuntu package sever AFAIK. You can download the package file from the links and install them with "dpkg -I"
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/pool/main ... _arm64.deb

This package will install other Pythion modules as well.

meveric

Post by meveric »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:49 pm
For the package, "odroid-homecloud-display", it's only provided by my package server or Hardkernel's Ubuntu package sever AFAIK. You can download the package file from the links and install them with "dpkg -I"

The package does not work under debian, it's missing several dependencies, and the pip post installation tasks fail at several points

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

meveric wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:57 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:49 pm

The package does not work under debian, it's missing several dependencies, and the pip post installation tasks fail at several points
Can you share the error log? It won't be installed correctly with "dpkg" since dpkg does not install the dependency packages while apk does. So if there is missing components, they should be installed manually. "dpkg -I *.deb" does give the list of dependency packages? The package in the link can be installed in the Debian Buster I built since it's completely configured to run with "apk".

Sorry if this does make a confusion.

meveric

Post by meveric »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:01 pm
Can you share the error log? It won't be installed correctly with "dpkg" since dpkg does not install the dependency packages while apk does. So if there is missing components, they should be installed manually. "dpkg -I *.deb" does give the list of dependency packages? The package in the link can be installed in the Debian Buster I built since it's completely configured to run with "apk".

I installed with apt but as I said the package misses dependencies, like for example python-setuptools which is required to compile the tools that are installed with the pip.
Not even sure if pip is in the dependencies list, have to check it.
Even after that the installation of the packages defined in the post-inst script that uses pip failed at several points.

I have to check again, as I currently don't have the C4 at hand to test this.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

meveric wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:06 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:01 pm

I installed with apt but as I said the package misses dependencies, like for example python-setuptools which is required to compile the tools that are installed with the pip.
Not even sure if pip is in the dependencies list, have to check it.
Even after that the installation of the packages defined in the post-inst script that uses pip failed at several points.

I have to check again, as I currently don't have the C4 at hand to test this.
Please find the link about the package dependency for "odroid-homecloud-shell" and they must be installed with apk.
https://github.com/tobetter/odroid-home ... ontrol#L19

meveric

Post by meveric »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:17 pm
Please find the link about the package dependency for "odroid-homecloud-shell" and they must be installed with apk.
yeah yours seems fine, I only tested:
http://deb.odroid.in/c4/pool/main/o/odr ... _arm64.deb

which is missing some of these dependencies.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

meveric wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:10 pm
tobetter wrote:

Ah...I see. Thanks for testing.

erichousetkc

Post by erichousetkc »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:12 pm
meveric wrote:
tobetter wrote:

Hi tobetter,

I have tried to install your package on armbian. After installing all the missing file dependencies and scripts I manage to complete the installation without errors:

(Reading database ... 34374 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack odroid-homecloud-display_0.1+202010201513~buster_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking odroid-homecloud-display (5:0.1+202010201513~buster) over (5:0.1+202010201513~buster) ...
Setting up odroid-homecloud-display (5:0.1+202010201513~buster) ...
Collecting luma.core
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/b0/cb/a163a2b3b4adc3232163257fb39bf5e5aa03f7791d6ce06b595088f692a7/luma.core-2.2.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Collecting luma.oled
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/d5/3c/2a464be33c7a29633506b75c579cb50356a1e788609db809bf7999c74511/luma.oled-3.8.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Collecting luma.lcd
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/3a/ad/5d5d56f99a7066b41111d9b146f9e5724c5d402b68399f8ddce37b226f97/luma.lcd-2.8.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Requirement already satisfied: smbus2 in /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages (from luma.core) (0.4.0)
Collecting RPI.GPIO; platform_system == "Linux" (from luma.core)
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/cb/88/d3817eb11fc77a8d9a63abeab8fe303266b1e3b85e2952238f0da43fed4e/RPi.GPIO-0.7.0.tar.gz
Requirement already satisfied: pillow>=4.0.0 in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (from luma.core) (5.4.1)
Requirement already satisfied: deprecated in /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages (from luma.core) (1.2.10)
Collecting spidev; platform_system == "Linux" (from luma.core)
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/62/56/de649e7d95f9fcfaf965a6eb937b4a46bc77ef21487c99cde1a7a0546040/spidev-3.5.tar.gz
Collecting cbor2 (from luma.core)
Requirement already satisfied: pyftdi in /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages (from luma.core) (0.52.0)
Requirement already satisfied: wrapt<2,>=1.10 in /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages (from deprecated->luma.core) (1.12.1)
Requirement already satisfied: pyusb>=1.0.0 in /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages (from pyftdi->luma.core) (1.1.0)
Requirement already satisfied: pyserial>=3.0 in /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages (from pyftdi->luma.core) (3.5)
Building wheels for collected packages: RPI.GPIO, spidev
  Running setup.py bdist_wheel for RPI.GPIO ... done
  Stored in directory: /root/.cache/pip/wheels/ec/11/7f/aa6fe56010104b49197ebbd697418affe12e05d42213f3e0ca
  Running setup.py bdist_wheel for spidev ... done
  Stored in directory: /root/.cache/pip/wheels/71/1b/54/cbdf8186b66a40a5ac109b69c24a8688322458b80467a847b3
Successfully built RPI.GPIO spidev
Installing collected packages: RPI.GPIO, spidev, cbor2, luma.core, luma.oled, luma.lcd
Successfully installed RPI.GPIO-0.7.0 cbor2-5.2.0 luma.core-2.2.0 luma.lcd-2.8.0 luma.oled-3.8.1 spidev-3.5
However, the OLED screen is still off. I rebooted the system and the problem persists. I guess would it be caused by the removal of petitboot? Or is there any specific settings on the debian for this package to work? Your suggestions is much appreciated.

Eric

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

erichousetkc wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:42 am
tobetter wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:12 pm
meveric wrote:
tobetter wrote:

Hi tobetter,

I have tried to install your package on armbian. After installing all the missing file dependencies and scripts I manage to complete the installation without errors:

(Reading database ... 34374 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack odroid-homecloud-display_0.1+202010201513~buster_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking odroid-homecloud-display (5:0.1+202010201513~buster) over (5:0.1+202010201513~buster) ...
Setting up odroid-homecloud-display (5:0.1+202010201513~buster) ...
Collecting luma.core
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/b0/cb/a163a2b3b4adc3232163257fb39bf5e5aa03f7791d6ce06b595088f692a7/luma.core-2.2.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Collecting luma.oled
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/d5/3c/2a464be33c7a29633506b75c579cb50356a1e788609db809bf7999c74511/luma.oled-3.8.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Collecting luma.lcd
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/3a/ad/5d5d56f99a7066b41111d9b146f9e5724c5d402b68399f8ddce37b226f97/luma.lcd-2.8.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Requirement already satisfied: smbus2 in /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages (from luma.core) (0.4.0)
Collecting RPI.GPIO; platform_system == "Linux" (from luma.core)
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/cb/88/d3817eb11fc77a8d9a63abeab8fe303266b1e3b85e2952238f0da43fed4e/RPi.GPIO-0.7.0.tar.gz
Requirement already satisfied: pillow>=4.0.0 in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (from luma.core) (5.4.1)
Requirement already satisfied: deprecated in /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages (from luma.core) (1.2.10)
Collecting spidev; platform_system == "Linux" (from luma.core)
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/62/56/de649e7d95f9fcfaf965a6eb937b4a46bc77ef21487c99cde1a7a0546040/spidev-3.5.tar.gz
Collecting cbor2 (from luma.core)
Requirement already satisfied: pyftdi in /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages (from luma.core) (0.52.0)
Requirement already satisfied: wrapt<2,>=1.10 in /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages (from deprecated->luma.core) (1.12.1)
Requirement already satisfied: pyusb>=1.0.0 in /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages (from pyftdi->luma.core) (1.1.0)
Requirement already satisfied: pyserial>=3.0 in /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages (from pyftdi->luma.core) (3.5)
Building wheels for collected packages: RPI.GPIO, spidev
  Running setup.py bdist_wheel for RPI.GPIO ... done
  Stored in directory: /root/.cache/pip/wheels/ec/11/7f/aa6fe56010104b49197ebbd697418affe12e05d42213f3e0ca
  Running setup.py bdist_wheel for spidev ... done
  Stored in directory: /root/.cache/pip/wheels/71/1b/54/cbdf8186b66a40a5ac109b69c24a8688322458b80467a847b3
Successfully built RPI.GPIO spidev
Installing collected packages: RPI.GPIO, spidev, cbor2, luma.core, luma.oled, luma.lcd
Successfully installed RPI.GPIO-0.7.0 cbor2-5.2.0 luma.core-2.2.0 luma.lcd-2.8.0 luma.oled-3.8.1 spidev-3.5
However, the OLED screen is still off. I rebooted the system and the problem persists. I guess would it be caused by the removal of petitboot? Or is there any specific settings on the debian for this package to work? Your suggestions is much appreciated.

Eric
OLED on Debian is not relevant to the Petitboot at all since they use different kernel. One possible reason would be that WiringPi or Luma is not compatible with Armbian kernel, I have no idea about Armbian kernel. Please check if your Armbian has "/dev/i2c*". Also, please create your own thread if you are running Armbian and OLED, not here please.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
MichaIng (Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:07 pm)

Minou666
languages_spoken: French and English
ODROIDs: Odroid C1,Odroid C2, Odroid HC1, Odroid HC2,Odroid XU3LITE, Odroid N2, Odroid H2 and Odroid HC4

Post by Minou666 »

I was not able to install Debian Buster on my Odroid HC4. First I tried to install ArchLinux but petitboot would not boot from it.
I then tried the netboot install for Debian but the installer didn't recognize the keyboard and mouse at all. I've had issues before on some other odroid device with debian. What I found at the time was that the kernel didn't provide any support for the logitech device, perhaps the bug was never fixed. Anyhow I gave up on that one and am installing the latest Ubuntu with the netwok install. It seems to install properly, hopefully it will work. I did install ubuntu with the kernel 4.9 and it seemed to have updated petiboot to the latest version.
Petiboot though has a serious bug. I had prepared a 1TB hard disk with 7 gpt partitions. When I booted petitboot went nuts and forced me to the command line with LF not working, basically everything was displayed on one line. Same behavior before and after the petitboot change.
I then deleted all the partitions and created partition using the old dos partition tables. Same results.
My last attempt to be able to use the hard disk was to delete all the partition and let the ubuntu installer create them. So far so good except that it is taking it forever to install.
None of these systems really interest me but I need to have something that works for now. Ultimately I want to use either armtix or funtoo for my Odroid HC4. I have armtix working nicely with the Odroid N2 on the micro SD.

Michel

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Minou666 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:42 pm
I was not able to install Debian Buster on my Odroid HC4. First I tried to install ArchLinux but petitboot would not boot from it.
I then tried the netboot install for Debian but the installer didn't recognize the keyboard and mouse at all. I've had issues before on some other odroid device with debian. What I found at the time was that the kernel didn't provide any support for the logitech device, perhaps the bug was never fixed. Anyhow I gave up on that one and am installing the latest Ubuntu with the netwok install. It seems to install properly, hopefully it will work. I did install ubuntu with the kernel 4.9 and it seemed to have updated petiboot to the latest version.
Petiboot though has a serious bug. I had prepared a 1TB hard disk with 7 gpt partitions. When I booted petitboot went nuts and forced me to the command line with LF not working, basically everything was displayed on one line. Same behavior before and after the petitboot change.
I then deleted all the partitions and created partition using the old dos partition tables. Same results.
My last attempt to be able to use the hard disk was to delete all the partition and let the ubuntu installer create them. So far so good except that it is taking it forever to install.
None of these systems really interest me but I need to have something that works for now. Ultimately I want to use either armtix or funtoo for my Odroid HC4. I have armtix working nicely with the Odroid N2 on the micro SD.

Michel
Please start your own thread, not here since this thread is for Debian Buster leaded by @meveric with his own OS image and 4.9 kernel. The problem you mentioned is not relevant to his work.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 2):
meveric (Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:31 pm) • MichaIng (Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:07 pm)

MichaIng
languages_spoken: english german

Post by MichaIng »

It seems that the newest kernel package build (from December 20) broke SATA recognition:
- https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=30055#p30055
- https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3907

Can someone confirm or may it be an issue our side? Although kernel and boot.ini are identical, bootloader remained untouched.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

MichaIng wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:20 pm
It seems that the newest kernel package build (from December 20) broke SATA recognition:
- https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=30055#p30055
- https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3907

Can someone confirm or may it be an issue our side? Although kernel and boot.ini are identical, bootloader remained untouched.
Is that the kernel 4.9 or 5.x? And is the issue based on the Debian image of @meveric? Otherwise please start new thread and manage your own. You will be still supported.

meveric

Post by meveric »

4.9 Kernel.. I use the sources from HardKernel, so if that changed, then the images from HK using the same Kernel should have the same issue.

MichaIng

Post by MichaIng »

Linux 4.9.236 based on this image. I asked the user to test with the current image from here, to rule out any issue with ours, and initially SATA detection worked, but after full APT upgrade it did not work anymore. The image ships with the same Linux version (4.9.236) but a new kernel package build has been uploaded to the repository afterwards. Since it should not rely on any userland parts, I assume it is the kernel build.

Probably not all are affected but only certain drives, sadly I cannot test as I don't own a HC4. I could ask the user that made the second report to verify by trying out the image from here and then upgrading to the latest kernel package, but probably one of you guys can verify already.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

MichaIng wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:59 pm
Linux 4.9.236 based on this image. I asked the user to test with the current image from here, to rule out any issue with ours, and initially SATA detection worked, but after full APT upgrade it did not work anymore. The image ships with the same Linux version (4.9.236) but a new kernel package build has been uploaded to the repository afterwards. Since it should not rely on any userland parts, I assume it is the kernel build.
If one did apt upgrade, I guess kernel version has been changed and it may cause the problem. I've noticed that the kernel branch has been updated to 4.9.241. I would need to test it for sure.
Probably not all are affected but only certain drives, sadly I cannot test as I don't own a HC4. I could ask the user that made the second report to verify by trying out the image from here and then upgrading to the latest kernel package, but probably one of you guys can verify already.
Interestingly, I've reported Kinston A400 (1TB) drives are not working with ODROID-HC4 with the mainline kernel. I doubt if 4.9 kernel is also the same, it would be helpful if we know what drives the user is using with ODROID-HC4. But...probably it's because of the kernel package...let me try with my HC4.

MichaIng

Post by MichaIng »

Meverics current kernel package is still 4.9.236, same as what the image (from OP) ships with: https://dietpi.com/meveric/pool/c4/l/li ... odroid-c4/
But it's a new build and hence when doing apt upgrade the kernel is upgraded without changing the version string "4.9.236". The image was create on November 11, so maybe some patch was applied meanwhile before the kernel version was raised on December 22: https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/com ... dg12-4.9.y
I see the additional joystick drivers that I found to be a difference, so I guess it's based on "4.9.236-63"/this commit: https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/tre ... 93560beec5
That would fit the creation date as well.
I see you enabled eMMC, but I doubt that this has an effect on SATA: https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/com ... 128d352763

I'll ask the users about the drives, and, for some dmesg when booting form SD card with SATA attached, probably we see some related kernel messages.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

MichaIng wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:05 pm
Meverics current kernel package is still 4.9.236, same as what the image (from OP) ships with: https://dietpi.com/meveric/pool/c4/l/li ... odroid-c4/
But it's a new build and hence when doing apt upgrade the kernel is upgraded without changing the version string "4.9.236". The image was create on November 11, so maybe some patch was applied meanwhile before the kernel version was raised on December 22: https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/com ... dg12-4.9.y
I see the additional joystick drivers that I found to be a difference, so I guess it's based on "4.9.236-63"/this commit: https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/tre ... 93560beec5
That would fit the creation date as well.
I see you enabled eMMC, but I doubt that this has an effect on SATA: https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/com ... 128d352763

I'll ask the users about the drives, and, for some dmesg when booting form SD card with SATA attached, probably we see some related kernel messages.
The eMMC patch does not affect to SATA at all.
And I've tested with Hardkernel's Ubuntu minimal image - originally 4.9.236 - and have updated new kernel package 4.9.241, both version works with Samsung EVO 860 SSD and PCI/SATA does not have an issue.

meveric

Post by meveric »

well I checked the 241 update, and there are some changes on the SATA interface.
Not sure if it will change anything, but let's just build the latest Kernel and see if it fixes anything.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

meveric wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:34 am
well I checked the 241 update, and there are some changes on the SATA interface.
Not sure if it will change anything, but let's just build the latest Kernel and see if it fixes anything.
True, so I've tested with severl SSD/HDD on HC4 and all drives I have work...I could test it more tomorrow.

torx
ODROIDs: C4, HC2

Post by torx »

I do not know if this is SATA related but after a recent update through OMV I lost use of all four of the USB ports on a C4. I downloaded an UBUNTU image and the USBs seems to be working.

MichaIng

Post by MichaIng »

Reply from one user where SATA does not work: https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=30186#p30186
  • WD Blue 6TB
  • lspci returns [0000:00]---00.0-[01-ff]----00.0, so bus is detected but no device, right?
  • PCI(e)-related kernel messages:

[    0.000000] Machine model: Hardkernel ODROID-HC4
    [    0.333392] amlogic-pcie-v2 fc000000.pcieA: amlogic_pcie_probe!
    [    0.335869] OF: PCI: host bridge /pcieA@fc000000 ranges:
    [    0.335882] OF: PCI:    IO 0xfc600000..0xfc6fffff -> 0x00000000
    [    0.335890] OF: PCI:   MEM 0xfc700000..0xfdffffff -> 0xfc700000
    [    0.336351] amlogic-pcie-v2 fc000000.pcieA: Set the RC Bus Master, Memory Space and I/O Space enables.
    [    0.336357] amlogic-pcie-v2 fc000000.pcieA: normal gpio
    [    0.336402] amlogic-pcie-v2 fc000000.pcieA: GPIO normal: amlogic_pcie_assert_reset
    [    0.369039] amlogic-pcie-v2 fc000000.pcieA: PCIE SPEED IS GEN2
    [    0.369045] amlogic-pcie-v2 fc000000.pcieA: link up
    [    0.369147] amlogic-pcie-v2 fc000000.pcieA: PCI host bridge to bus 0000:00
    [    0.369155] pci_bus 0000:00: root bus resource [bus 00-ff]
    [    0.369160] pci_bus 0000:00: root bus resource [io  0x0000-0xfffff]
    [    0.369165] pci_bus 0000:00: root bus resource [mem 0xfc700000-0xfdffffff]
    [    0.369170] pci_bus 0000:00: scanning bus
    [    0.369184] amlogic-pcie-v2 fc000000.pcieA: the device class is not reported correctly from the register
    [    0.369190] pci 0000:00:00.0: [16c3:abcd] type 01 class 0x060400
    [    0.369207] pci 0000:00:00.0: reg 0x38: [mem 0x00000000-0x0000ffff pref]
    [    0.369239] pci 0000:00:00.0: supports D1
    [    0.369241] pci 0000:00:00.0: PME# supported from D0 D1 D3hot D3cold
    [    0.369245] pci 0000:00:00.0: PME# disabled
    [    0.369345] pci_bus 0000:00: fixups for bus
    [    0.369349] pci 0000:00:00.0: scanning [bus 01-ff] behind bridge, pass 0
    [    0.369398] pci_bus 0000:01: scanning bus
    [    0.369453] pci 0000:01:00.0: [1b21:0611] type 00 class 0x010185
    [    0.369504] pci 0000:01:00.0: reg 0x10: [io  0x0000-0x0007]
    [    0.369529] pci 0000:01:00.0: reg 0x14: [io  0x0000-0x0003]
    [    0.369555] pci 0000:01:00.0: reg 0x18: [io  0x0000-0x0007]
    [    0.369580] pci 0000:01:00.0: reg 0x1c: [io  0x0000-0x0003]
    [    0.369606] pci 0000:01:00.0: reg 0x20: [io  0x0000-0x000f]
    [    0.369631] pci 0000:01:00.0: reg 0x24: [mem 0x00000000-0x000001ff]
    [    0.369657] pci 0000:01:00.0: reg 0x30: [mem 0x00000000-0x0000ffff pref]
    [    0.369688] pci 0000:01:00.0: Max Payload Size set to 256 (was 128, max 512)
    [    0.369957] pci_bus 0000:01: fixups for bus
    [    0.369960] pci_bus 0000:01: bus scan returning with max=01
    [    0.369965] pci 0000:00:00.0: scanning [bus 01-ff] behind bridge, pass 1
    [    0.369969] pci_bus 0000:00: bus scan returning with max=ff
    [    0.369985] pci 0000:00:00.0: BAR 8: assigned [mem 0xfc700000-0xfc7fffff]
    [    0.369992] pci 0000:00:00.0: BAR 9: assigned [mem 0xfc800000-0xfc8fffff pref]
    [    0.369997] pci 0000:00:00.0: BAR 6: assigned [mem 0xfc900000-0xfc90ffff pref]
    [    0.370003] pci 0000:00:00.0: BAR 7: assigned [io  0x1000-0x1fff]
    [    0.370011] pci 0000:01:00.0: BAR 6: assigned [mem 0xfc800000-0xfc80ffff pref]
    [    0.370016] pci 0000:01:00.0: BAR 5: assigned [mem 0xfc700000-0xfc7001ff]
    [    0.370032] pci 0000:01:00.0: BAR 4: assigned [io  0x1000-0x100f]
    [    0.370047] pci 0000:01:00.0: BAR 0: assigned [io  0x1010-0x1017]
    [    0.370061] pci 0000:01:00.0: BAR 2: assigned [io  0x1018-0x101f]
    [    0.370076] pci 0000:01:00.0: BAR 1: assigned [io  0x1020-0x1023]
    [    0.370090] pci 0000:01:00.0: BAR 3: assigned [io  0x1024-0x1027]
    [    0.370105] pci 0000:00:00.0: PCI bridge to [bus 01-ff]
    [    0.370111] pci 0000:00:00.0:   bridge window [io  0x1000-0x1fff]
    [    0.370117] pci 0000:00:00.0:   bridge window [mem 0xfc700000-0xfc7fffff]
    [    0.370122] pci 0000:00:00.0:   bridge window [mem 0xfc800000-0xfc8fffff pref]
    [    0.654060] amlogic-pcie-v2 fc000000.pcieA: the device class is not reported correctly from the register
    [    0.654255] aer 0000:00:00.0:pcie002: service driver aer loaded
    [    0.654309] pcieport 0000:00:00.0: Signaling PME through PCIe PME interrupt
    [    0.654321] pci 0000:01:00.0: Signaling PME through PCIe PME interrupt
    [    0.654328] pcie_pme 0000:00:00.0:pcie001: service driver pcie_pme loaded
    amlogic-pcie-v2 fc000000.pcieA: the device class is not reported correctly from the register
    :idea:
    pci 0000:01:00.0: [1b21:0611] type 00 class 0x010185
    1b21:0611 is the SATA controller behind the PCIe bridge but it doesn't seem to find an attached block device.
meveric wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:34 am
let's just build the latest Kernel and see if it fixes anything
Agreed.
Last edited by MichaIng on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

meveric

Post by meveric »

uploading Kernel 4.9.241 right now

Edit:
need to do a small version check fix for the package and will exchange the existing packages.. *sighs*
These users thanked the author meveric for the post (total 2):
MichaIng (Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:23 am) • tobetter (Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:40 am)

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

meveric wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:18 am
uploading Kernel 4.9.241 right now

Edit:
need to do a small version check fix for the package and will exchange the existing packages.. *sighs*
Did you any SATA issue yet?

meveric

Post by meveric »

236->241 had some changes on the sata drivers.
Not sure if it's in any way related to the issue, but before I start to check for anything else I'd like to know if 241 has the same issues.
after that I could try to make some bisects to find the offending commit that broke sata support in the first place.

notadroid
ODROIDs: HC2, C2

Post by notadroid »

Hello All,
Does the fan work with HC4? I cannot get it to work with Armbian, so I'm planning to switch to Debian if it has support for the fan.

Thanks for your help.

meveric

Post by meveric »

Just tested it (never did before) and yes the fan works.
But it only starts up by default at 65°C and even stressing it with sysbench cpu test, it took forever to reach 56°C.
But you can redefine the trip point temperatures and with that force the system to start the fan earlier:

echo "50000" > /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_4_temp
Which works surprisingly well with running sysbench on all 4 cores the temp even with "just" trip point 4 made sure the temperature stayed below 50°C
And with trip_point_5 and 6 you get faster fan spinning, so overall the little fan should be enough to keep it cool.
notadroid (Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:45 pm)

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

meveric wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:17 pm
Just tested it (never did before) and yes the fan works.
But it only starts up by default at 65°C and even stressing it with sysbench cpu test, it took forever to reach 56°C.
But you can redefine the trip point temperatures and with that force the system to start the fan earlier:

echo "50000" > /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_4_temp
Which works surprisingly well with running sysbench on all 4 cores the temp even with "just" trip point 4 made sure the temperature stayed below 50°C
And with trip_point_5 and 6 you get faster fan spinning, so overall the little fan should be enough to keep it cool.
I wonder if you have tried lm-sensors and fancontrol on your Debian.

meveric

Post by meveric »

I haven't as I normally don't need to adjust these things.
I know these from my Ubuntu Laptop, but also know that fancontrol on laptops for example quite often don't work at all

And a quick check on the HC4 confirmed it's the same here.
sensors-detect doesn't find anything which also means pwmconfig doesn't work.
Might work better with Kernel 5.x but with the stock 4.9 Kernel doesn't seem to work at all.

torx

Post by torx »

I had read on another forum that kernel 5.10 solves USB/SATA issues - is there a way I can try that kernel out on the C4, or does it have to modified before it will work on this board?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

torx wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:47 am
I had read on another forum that kernel 5.10 solves USB/SATA issues - is there a way I can try that kernel out on the C4, or does it have to modified before it will work on this board?
Can you share the link about the issue?
If the issue is about the USB stability and performance issue, it's been fixed more a year ago with a patch from Amlogic and it's been merged to mainline since 5.4 and 4.9 kernel also have it.

torx

Post by torx »

I am looking for the article again, I am desperately looking for a solution as the last update broke all USB access on the C4 - I will try to use the 5.4 kernel and see if that helps.

gom

Post by gom »

i attempted to install odroid-homecloud-display on - Linux hc4 5.10.0-odroid-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 5.10.6-202101121807~bullseye (2021-01-12) aarch64 GNU/Linux
i attached the log
Attachments
foo.txt
(60.76 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

meveric

Post by meveric »

reminds me pretty much on my last attempt :)
still haven't tried to get it working myself to be honest.

Return to “Other OS”