Petitboot and multiple OSes on the same disk (Android + Linux)

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Petitboot and multiple OSes on the same disk (Android + Linux)

Post by mad_ady »

Hello all!

Here is my quick guide on getting Android and some other OSes on the same disk (in my case EMMC, but tobetter and his colleagues made Android work on HDD as well). I used an N2+ for my tests, but should work the same way for C4, HC4, N2 (and other future petitboot-enabled boards).

Before we begin - make sure you update petitboot to the latest version (Exit to shell -> pb-update).

If you install Android, go ahead and install it normally on your target disk (by following the Android instructions). It needs to be the first OS installed because it uses some data in unpartitioned space, at fixed offsets. Once Android is booting correctly (with or without petitboot), you can start this guide.

You'll need access to a Linux computer (can be a different Odroid system too) that can run gparted (for simplicity). In my example I'm using an x86 computer, so some things may need tweaking:

On the host PC make sure kernel boots with loop.max_part=16 (or some arbitrary number). You can edit /etc/default/grub.conf and set it - for instance:

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="loop.max_part=16"
Apply with sudo update-grub2 and reboot the host. Check that it's applied with:

$ cat /proc/cmdline
Now, download the image you want to append to your EMMC (or disk). In my case it was ubuntu 20.04 from @tobetter: http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/ra ... 218.img.xz

$ cd Downloads
$ unxz ubuntu-20.04-server-odroidn2plus-20201218.img.xz
$ file ubuntu-20.04-server-odroidn2plus-20201218.img 
ubuntu-20.04-server-odroidn2plus-20201218.img: DOS/MBR boot sector; partition 1 : ID=0x83, start-CHS (0x0,32,33), end-CHS (0x20,194,34), startsector 2048, 524288 sectors; partition 2 : ID=0x83, start-CHS (0x20,194,35), end-CHS (0x7b,85,33), startsector 526336, 1455047 sectors
$ sudo losetup `losetup -f` ubuntu-20.04-server-odroidn2plus-20201218.img 
Start gparted (as root). We want to see loop devices, so...

$ losetup | grep img
/dev/loop12         0      0         0  0 /home/adrianp/Downloads/ubuntu-20.04-server-odroidn2plus-20201218.img   0     512
$ sudo gparted /dev/loop12 /dev/sdb
This will show both the original image partitions and the target disk/emmc (/dev/sdb in my case).

Shrink Android's second partition, without moving it (it should have the same starting point). In the new free space after the second partition I created an extended partition. Next, copy over the partitions from the loop device and paste them in the extended partition. You can add multiple OSes, but make sure each partition has a distinct UUID. Here are the steps detailed:

1. This is how the Android default partition layout looks like (voodik's Lineage 17):
2. Resize the second partition, without moving its start location:
3. Create a new extended partition in the unallocated space at the end:
4. Switch back to the loop device with your OS to flash
5. Copy/paste the partitions to the extended partition. You can resize the rootfs at this step.
6. Apply

Take a look at the boot scripts and make adjustments if necessary (so the kernel can see the rootfs). Check boot.ini or boot.scr in sdb5 and etc/fstab in sdb6. If they all use uuids you should be good to go.:

$ sudo mount /dev/sdb5 /media/test
$ sudo mount /dev/sdb6 /media/test2
In my case I didn't have to make any changes.

Plug back the storage in your Odroid and boot. Petitboot should show you all the OSes
Note - in order not to mess up Android, you should make sure that no linux installation ever tries to update u-boot, since it might overwrite things specific for Android...
Good luck!

Edit: it's similar to what tobetter described here: https://medium.com/@tobetter/installing ... 7bcaef0545, only it's done manually.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post (total 3):
tobetter (Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:04 pm) • istanbulls (Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:58 am) • loredin (Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:47 am)

istanbulls
languages_spoken: Turkish
ODROIDs: ODROID; N2, C4, XU4, N2+, CH4

Re: Petitboot and multiple OSes on the same disk (Android + Linux)

Post by istanbulls »

Thanks for this Well explained, useful tutorial.
I installed 4-5 operating system on HC4 using a similar method.

My problem-question is for N2-SSD.
I cannot install Android on SSD, because the spi key must be in emmc for the first installation of Android, Android needs it.
So how do I install Androit OS on SSD!

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Grrr, I can't find it, but tobetter (or maybe odroid?) posted a how-to install Android to SSD a week or two ago. The problem is, it currently works only with Hardkernel's Android, not (yet) with voodik's build.
I can't find the link (maybe it should be sticky in the Android section?), maybe @tobetter can help...
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
istanbulls (Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:10 am)

loredin
languages_spoken: english, french, german
ODROIDs: xu4;n2
Been thanked: 0

Post by loredin »

Are there any specific instructions to get android (maybe specific version of android) working with petitboot ?

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

loredin wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:02 am
Are there any specific instructions to get android (maybe specific version of android) working with petitboot ?
No, if you have flashed the latest version of Android it will work out of box. Also the Petitboot has to be the latest version, 20201222.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
loredin (Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:20 am)

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

If you follow my instructions make sure you boot Android after flashing it so it can complete the selfinstall before resizing its data partition.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
loredin (Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:20 am)

Return to “Projects”